Hi there.

Bold 9900, the GPS chip doesn't seem to want to work anymore. Google maps tells me "Waiting for GPS" and then soon after reports "GPS temporarily unavailable" before finally settling on "GPS unavailable". I'm not sure what I did to cause this. HOWEVER, i CAN make it function again for a random amount of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) by tinkering with the GPS settings in the engineering screen. Switching it to MSBASED mode to Accuracy Optimal or Data Optimal. This sometimes makes it come back on, but after x amount of time, it no longer works. Having to go into the engineering screen is a huge pain in the buns, and I shouldn't have to do that to make it work.

Anyone have any ideas I can try to make it work again? Don't say battery pull or reload OS, this has been going on for a couple months, and I've done both more than once lol.

Thanks for your anticipated assistance
    06-16-12 03:31 AM
    This is the 2nd post today with this phone on the same subject. I am wondering if there may not be a problme with these phones and GPS.

Here's the other link http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cation-730376/

Does this sound like what is happening to you?

You might try an OS upgrade as that has been known to help such things since they are all software controlled or, if that fails, get the phone replaced under warranty.
    06-16-12 03:46 AM
    This is the 2nd post today with this phone on the same subject. I am wondering if there may not be a problme with these phones and GPS.

Here's the other link http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cation-730376/

Does this sound like what is happening to you?

You might try an OS upgrade as that has been known to help such things since they are all software controlled or, if that fails, get the phone replaced under warranty.
    No, although that issue does sound similar, that is not what I experience. The applications work great (google maps, bb maps, etc) however the phone itself can't find a location. Even in the menu, when i go to options, device, location settings, I can not find my location here by hitting the bb key and selecting "Refresh Location". Usually it would show the approx address and number of satellites. Mine will not refresh and just shows nothing. I just completely obliterated the software on my phone, wiped fully, multiple times, and reloaded a new OS (as there was a more updated one on here, oddly enough :P) so I will see how that one works out. As of now, this issue persists. Time will tell.
    06-16-12 04:18 AM
    This sounds like you may have a hardware problem with your phone.

If you can find anyone with the same phone model as you, try to see if theirs does the same as your. I realize that this may not be easy to do...

The other thing to do is to return your phone to wherever you got it from and as for and ask for a warranty replacement. This is a pita becuase you probably won't have a phone during the exchange.

It is hard to diagnose something like this from distance and without a direct comparison to another phane of the same type.
    06-16-12 04:26 AM
    It's an OS issue, from a later OS release. I've got the same issue, but all I do is refresh the GPS location and then it works in other apps...
    06-16-12 06:04 PM
    This seems to be a common problem with OS 7/7.1, but I may have found a fix, just follow these few steps. Homescreen->Options in the menu->Device->Maps->Scroll down to Configuration and change the KML Cache Limit to 'UNLIMITED'. Also make sure Adress Recognition is on... Hope it works!
    09-13-12 02:06 PM
    And dont go tinkering in the engineering screen!!!!! Bad things can happen
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-13-12 02:15 PM
    It doens't fix the issue when you set the kml to unlimited. I know that from my phone...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-14-12 02:38 PM
    What seems to work for me everytime is going to Options/Location Settings and turning the GPS on before opening any map app. I use BB Maps, but if I open the app and allow the app to activate the GPS it won't find my location. If I turn the GPS on first then open BB Maps it will find my location almost instantly. Just an fyi for what has been working for me since .580 update.
    09-14-12 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD