And a lot of these PB photos are taken with the device resting on a table etc. A bit hard to do with a phone.
    Here are a bunch I took at Comic Con with my PlayBook -- walking the floor, bumping people, etc. Not always ideal lighting. It did very well.

Comic Con 2011 pictures by seanharrell - Photobucket
    08-07-11 11:02 AM
    Here are a bunch I took at Comic Con with my PlayBook -- walking the floor, bumping people, etc. Not always ideal lighting. It did very well.

Comic Con 2011 pictures by seanharrell - Photobucket

Could you take some pictures of newspaper print or perhaps something out of a book? Your shots of the CC looked good to me but not one of them was of the type that would be effected by lack of AF. We are speaking of detailed close up pictures such that would be taken as part of someones job. Like an insurance adjuster who takes pictures of specific areas of damage - service books on autos when the customer turns them end at end of lease, personal notes, etc. Ya know, business related stuff.

Like the following
    08-07-11 11:36 AM
    dang. I cant believe the terrible closeup. I got my 9650 so I can photo parts and docs macro-like and email them.

Can someone please confirm there is no Close-Up option in the settings on the 9930???
    08-07-11 11:53 AM
    Alright lets step back and think for a second. The bold phone can record video in high def right, we have seen the samples. The camera has to be better than this on the end unit.......right?
    08-07-11 12:17 PM
    dang. I cant believe the terrible closeup. I got my 9650 so I can photo parts and docs macro-like and email them.

Can someone please confirm there is no Close-Up option in the settings on the 9930???
    At this point we simply don't know - one thing is for sure & that's if the 9900 / 30 would have excelled at taking "business related" pictures such as one would take for their job it would have already been covered in the many reviews we see online already.

We know the Bold Touch holds it's own with the video camera and does an excellent job in that area - however it looks like ( at this point ) RIM blew off the still camera for anything related to business.

When the strongest apologetic offered for the lack of an AF is; go buy a DSLR and take pictures. It sort of sums things up.
    08-07-11 12:21 PM
    Alright lets step back and think for a second. The bold phone can record video in high def right, we have seen the samples. The camera has to be better than this on the end unit.......right?
    Video recording and taking close-up shots are two things at opposite ends of the spectrum of what EDOF cameras excel at.
    08-07-11 12:21 PM
    Video recording and taking close-up shots are two things at opposite ends of the spectrum of what EDOF cameras excel at.
    The voice recordings I've done with my 9650 have been excellent - the older berries had no issue with that from my experience - I would go as far to say that my 9650 took a better quality voice note than does an iphone or ipod touch.

I would say the same thing goes for the quality of pictures the 9650 takes, especially on the types of pictures that are taken in the "business community".

If we could just get someone on a 9900 to take some close up pictures of text or small part we could close up on the questions releated to the issue of no AF - as it stands we only have two examples to look at and they both look horrific.
    08-07-11 12:29 PM
    At this point we simply don't know - one thing is for sure & that's if the 9900 / 30 would have excelled at taking "business related" pictures such as one would take for their job it would have already been covered in the many reviews we see online already.

We know the Bold Touch holds it's own with the video camera and does an excellent job in that area - however it looks like ( at this point ) RIM blew off the still camera for anything related to business.

When the strongest apologetic offered for the lack of an AF is; go buy a DSLR and take pictures. It sort of sums things up.

Sigh, I hope this is not the case. But, with all I have seen from RIM the past year, I wouldn't be surprised. Will there be any phones for business users left in the world?

I have a new 9650 sealed in box i was going to sell on Ebay to get a 9930, but perhaps I should hang on to it as a backup. Maybe the last, worthy example, of a great line.
    anon(3158896) likes this.
    08-07-11 12:37 PM
    There are settings for specific settings on the camera according the scenery. There is also a text setting that works very well on my 9700 and from the looks of it the user has the wrong settings activated for text.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 12:39 PM
    Sigh, I hope this is not the case. But, with all I have seen from RIM the past year, I wouldn't be surprised. Will there be any phones for business users left in the world?

I have a new 9650 sealed in box i was going to sell on Ebay to get a 9930, but perhaps I should hang on to it as a backup. Maybe the last, worthy example, of a great line.
    That's my current beef as well - it's as if RIM has "given up" on making BUSINESS PHONES...
    ...And now is trying to catch up on the media type of abilities of Droid and Apple.
    ...This is NOT good.

There are settings for specific settings on the camera according the scenery. There is also a text setting that works very well on my 9700 and from the looks of it the user has the wrong settings activated for text.
    YES, same as on my 9650 however to make it fair I didn't even use that setting for the pictures of text I posted in this and other threads. I just had it on auto.
    08-07-11 12:47 PM
    Very cool... I never noticed the menu option to take closeups with the 9650!

Looking forward to reviews on the 9930's camera.
    08-07-11 12:51 PM
    Text and close ups look terrible... no excuses.
    08-07-11 01:18 PM
    Text and close ups look terrible... no excuses.
    When a pro EDoF article comes right out and says EDoF is not designed to take business related pictures and sucks when compared to AF...
    .... it defaults into an individual who purchases an EDoF smartphone FOR BUSINESS.
    ... Being required to carry his old "outdated smartphone" along with their new one - to keep the same functionality they previously had.

= poor / stupid purchase decision!

It appears that we can now add the inibility of taking business related pictures to the other list of cant's.....
    ...Such as the inibility of opening a .pdf of 4.5mb, inability of video conferencing.
    ...All of which ARE business related functions.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-07-11 at 01:38 PM.
    08-07-11 01:33 PM
    When a pro EDoF article comes right out and says EDoF is not designed to take business related pictures and sucks when compared to AF...
    .... it defaults into an individual who purchases an EDoF smartphone FOR BUSINESS.
    ... Being required to carry his old "outdated smartphone" along with their new one - to keep the same functionality they previously had.

= poor / stupid purchase decision!
    Judging the phone before you get to use it or even see reviews = stupid poor decision....just sayin. This thread should just get locked this is pointless back and forth
    homer1475 likes this.
    08-07-11 01:37 PM
    Judging the phone before you get to use it or even see reviews = stupid poor decision....just sayin. This thread should just get locked this is pointless back and forth
    We have witnessed two examples of the EDoF camera taken from a 9900 and a Playbook....
    ...Both demonstrating the total lack of ability to take a picture common to the business community.
    ...We have also read a "pro" EDoF article which comes right out and says EDoF takes putrid business shots.

There are MANY here who have playbooks that have responded in the threads about this issue...
    ...Have you witnessed any examples they have produced?
    ...Other than the ones ALL agree look like dung?
    08-07-11 01:43 PM
    We have witnessed two examples of the EDoF camera taken from a 9900 and a Playbook....
    ...Both demonstrating the total lack of ability to take a picture common to the business community.
    ...We have also read a "pro" EDoF article which comes right out and says EDoF takes putrid business shots.

There are MANY here who have playbooks that have responded in the threads about this issue...
    ...Have you witnessed any examples they have produced?
    ...Other than the ones ALL agree look like dung?
    I posted some pics in a thread with my playbook. Although the close ups arent as good as my 9700, they are legible
    08-07-11 02:01 PM
    just snapped some more will upload right now
    08-07-11 02:04 PM
    I cant even count the times I have relied on my 9650 to take excellent pics of docs, even small ones, and email rather than fax. The recipient doesn't even notice they weren't scanned if I do them carefully.

I think RIM naming their tablet "Playbook" kinda sums it up regarding it's usefulness in biz. Now if they had a "Workbook" that included a good document and macro capture camera and possibly a PDF converter integrated, they would define a market separate, and above, all of the other gaming centered devices they would have huge, but "silent market".
    08-07-11 02:06 PM

playbook pic
    08-07-11 02:08 PM
    I posted some pics in a thread with my playbook. Although the close ups arent as good as my 9700, they are legible
    And seriously, thank you for posting them ratchet, it was much appreciated...
    ..I would say the close -up's are light years away from your 9700 and my 9650.
    ..****, they are light years from my 1st gen BB Storm.

I always thought tech was supposed to move forward and I'm just stunned RIM opted to do this to what it is hyping as it's flagship "business" smartphone in that it takes worse business related pictures than the business phones it was producing two years ago?

I have not observed this alien concept of pushing yester-years tech tomorrow -for a premium price today in either apple or droid way of doing business. Evolution simply does not work that way.

Now that business card looks ok to me! Could you post some pictures of print such as found in a paper or Bible, something along those lines. And, are you simply posting the pic as it sits in the playbook OR are you cropping after you blow it up?
    08-07-11 02:09 PM
    08-07-11 02:10 PM
    And seriously, thank you for posting them ratchet, it was much appreciated...
    ..I would say the close -up's are light years away from your 9700 and my 9650.
    ..****, they are light years from my 1st gen BB Storm.

I always thought tech was supposed to move forward and I'm just stunned RIM opted to do this to what it is hyping as it's flagship "business" smartphone in that it takes worse business related pictures than the business phones it was producing two years ago?

I have not observed this alien concept of pushing yester-years tech tomorrow -for a premium price today in either apple or droid way of doing business. Evolution simply does not work that way.

Now that business card looks ok to me! Could you post some pictures of print such as found in a paper or Bible, something along those lines. And, are you simply posting the pic as it sits in the playbook OR are you cropping after you blow it up?
    I agree but also, these arent with the added text function. I think(hope) we will be ok. Ok sure will
    08-07-11 02:15 PM
    08-07-11 02:16 PM
    08-07-11 02:17 PM
    Today i buyed a Bold 9930 with 450$(350�).In my country it s only gsm network but it works nicely,i even have 3G signal wich i didn t expect to have.I will be back with pics.

Keep us posted on battery life plz

08-07-11 02:18 PM
142 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD