Wish RIM went with the numbers in red like the original Bold.
    I like it better now. Especially at night. When I was out last night and texting, the backlit keyboard and trackpad made it so easy.
    07-24-11 03:23 PM
    How is the overall heat of the device during heavy use? My tour heats up fairly quick during music streaming or podcast downloads. This will not affect my decision to get this phone by no means, just curious.
    I haven't felt any heat issues. It's actually remained fairly cool through all use. Even when using TuneIn to listen to streaming radio, it doesn't really get warm. I wonder if it has something to do with the design of the battery cover (which I am not in love with since it's a finger print magnet).
    07-24-11 03:34 PM
    that clearly says 4g in the picture right??? or am i seeing things?
    07-24-11 03:36 PM
    i work in the music biz and tunein is a must. how does it stream tunein? buffer a lot?...steady?

I haven't felt any heat issues. It's actually remained fairly cool through all use. Even when using TuneIn to listen to streaming radio, it doesn't really get warm. I wonder if it has something to do with the design of the battery cover (which I am not in love with since it's a finger print magnet).
    07-24-11 03:45 PM
    I've got a couple questions about the new Berry.

A) does it support voice command searches for Google like a Driod?
    ...Example: Saying "CNN" will result in the browser opening and going to CNN.

B) Have you noticed "any" web activities you can do with the new Berry....
    ...That you couldn't do with the previous one?

C) Does the Bold Touch come with "Blackberry" Visual Voicemail?

WOuld you say about the only changes to the device is the touch screen and faster processor?
    A) Not quite from my testing. You can do a voice command search and then a list of applications that have a result for that search query appear on the screen. You then have to click the application icon.

B) I haven't noticed anything new. I don't really browse the web much on my normal BB though. I typically would check sports scores or a blog post or something. Although, I am now using it more on this device, so far.

C) It's still a carrier thing.

As for your last question: Ultra-responsive touch screen with amazing clarity, faster processor (this is the first WOW in my eyes), extremely stylish and sleek/thin design, better-than-ever keyboard, improved backlighting for keyboard and trackpad, and a louder/clearer speaker. These are what I call the "highlights" so far. Sure there are some new OS options here and there, but this isn't a total departure from OS 6. It's what I would call a much-needed tweaked improvement.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-24-11 03:48 PM
    i work in the music biz and tunein is a must. how does it stream tunein? buffer a lot?...steady?
    I friggin' love TuneIn. Based on my testing so far, you'd think it was built into the OS it works so well. Buffering takes seconds. If I pump up the volume, the sound fills the room.

Edit add-on: Yes, it's very steady. I listened to the radio for a few hours the other day while answering questions on here. Not a hiccup.
    Last edited by Shake; 07-24-11 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer the steady question
    MsBrittz1016 likes this.
    07-24-11 03:49 PM
    Clearly, I am doing it for attention. That's why I spent all that time trying to answer questions the first night. I have attached the photoshopped image and quoted the immortal words of Michael Scott...
    As promised, my apology:

I am sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming the worst. I'm not a misanthropist, but the internet sometimes brings it out in me. I hope you'll accept my heartfelt apology.
    MsBrittz1016 likes this.
    07-24-11 03:51 PM
    that clearly says 4g in the picture right??? or am i seeing things?
    Yep. It says that. I have seen EDGE a few times. Never saw 3G appear up there, so I think it's just a way to get people excited when they see it.
    07-24-11 03:52 PM
    August. Ugh. Too far away.
    MsBrittz1016 likes this.
    07-24-11 03:54 PM
    I don't see any pictures. Is their a link?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-11 03:54 PM
    As promised, my apology:

I am sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming the worst. I'm not a misanthropist, but the internet sometimes brings it out in me. I hope you'll accept my heartfelt apology.
    The "Boom. Roasted." thing was only for comedic effect. I don't care if people doubt it. I am just trying to answer people who have been chomping at the bit for this device.
    07-24-11 03:58 PM
    If that's what you think then why not just get the full touch screen when it comes out. You think RIM will continue to make Half-n-Half units forever?
    I hope they make half-n-half units forever. The keyboard is a must for me. I am an emailer/texter. I have tried devices with slide out keyboards and it just doesn't suit me, personally. I am sure many will agree with that feeling. So far, the only reason I am using the touch screen capability of this one for now has been web surfing. I am still married to the trackpad for everything else. Maybe as time goes by I will start tapping the screen to open applications or scroll through emails, but I haven't been doing that the past 3 days.
    07-24-11 04:32 PM
    I don't see any pictures. Is their a link?

You cannot see attachments in WAP. You'll either have to log on to the full CB site or use Tapatalk.
    07-24-11 04:37 PM
    It's the weekend. I was busy.
    hey im your side
    Shake likes this.
    07-24-11 04:53 PM
    Shake,

First I want to thank you for the insight here.

Regarding build quality, would you compare this to be on the same league as a iPhone 4 regarding build quality? I mean are the gaps consistent, is the track pad level? Does the battery door fit firm and evenly?

I feel many companies including RIM have been suffering build quality lately. HTC I feel has gone down hill as well. Does this device have fit and finish like an iPhone 4?

Disclosure:

Sorry guys for using an iPhone for comparison but Apple does in fact have the best hardware quality in their products IMO. Go pick up an iPad or a Macbook Pro and try to find anything on the planet with equal materials / quality as an example.
    07-24-11 04:53 PM
    hey im your side
    I know. Thanks for bringing some logic to the table. In a few words, I was just trying to explain why your assessment was accurate. I will check back every few days and answer what I can. Also, I am taking pictures to demonstrate photo quality for those who were asking and will be posting them later.
    jerry12 likes this.
    07-24-11 04:57 PM
    It's funny.. There have been tons of threads with people who legitimately have this phone and offer to answer any questions about it etc. BUT for some reason, none of them did a good job compared to you.. Everyone is just getting so much more out of this thread than the others, you are pointing out many different things that some people weren't even thinking about.

This thread is phenomenal, just the way you are describing, answering questions, bringing up things I wasn't even considering is just getting me that much more excited.

Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for us Shake [:
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 07-25-11 at 12:42 AM.
    brewkelyn likes this.
    07-24-11 05:12 PM
    A) Not quite from my testing. You can do a voice command search and then a list of applications that have a result for that search query appear on the screen. You then have to click the application icon.

B) I haven't noticed anything new. I don't really browse the web much on my normal BB though. I typically would check sports scores or a blog post or something. Although, I am now using it more on this device, so far.

C) It's still a carrier thing.

As for your last question: Ultra-responsive touch screen with amazing clarity, faster processor (this is the first WOW in my eyes), extremely stylish and sleek/thin design, better-than-ever keyboard, improved backlighting for keyboard and trackpad, and a louder/clearer speaker. These are what I call the "highlights" so far. Sure there are some new OS options here and there, but this isn't a total departure from OS 6. It's what I would call a much-needed tweaked improvement.
    Thanks for answering those questions Shake!
    ...That was mighty fine of ya.

It would not be honest of me if I didn't say I'm a little put off that it doesn't have the voice command search.....
    ...That automatically opens the browser and goes to the website however.
    ...Those are the type of over-sights RIM needs to cease making.
    ...That is IF they plan on stopping the blood loss of departing customers.

As I'm a huge fan of the way BB processes email I'm certain I will be getting the device once Spint gets it....
    ...Unfortunately for RIM - it appears I am a dying breed.
    ...There frankly isn't all that many of us RIM fans left.

And RIM has been WAY to slow to address their over-sights.
    07-24-11 05:13 PM
    Shake,

First I want to thank you for the insight here.

Regarding build quality, would you compare this to be on the same league as a iPhone 4 regarding build quality? I mean are the gaps consistent, is the track pad level? Does the battery door fit firm and evenly?

I feel many companies including RIM have been suffering build quality lately. HTC I feel has gone down hill as well. Does this device have fit and finish like an iPhone 4?

Disclosure:

Sorry guys for using an iPhone for comparison but Apple does in fact have the best hardware quality in their products IMO. Go pick up an iPad or a Macbook Pro and try to find anything on the planet with equal materials / quality as an example.
    This is a great question...

One of the first things I thought of when I picked it up was that it had an iPhone feel to it in terms of build quality. It's noticeably lighter and wider, but that metal frame surrounding it really makes the device feel high end. Previous BlackBerries were lacking that feel - at least the ones I have had (8100, 8120, 8220, 8900, 9700, 9780, 9530, 9630, the list goes on...). All the pieces seem tightly connected. No gaps are visible. Nothing felt loose. All the parts that should be flush with one another are almost perfect. The keyboard isn't wobbly like on some of the older models (8900 this means you). Even though it's not made of mostly glass like the iPhone 4, the construction is so solid, it totally has the iPhone 4 feel. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad so I know exactly what you are talking about. Of course, most people buy cheap plastic, rubber, or pleather cases for them and all of that is lost. This BlackBerry, to me, is as good as those devices build-wise.

The whole thing is just really CLASSY. I can't think of a better word than that. This is the BlackBerry I should carry only when I am wearing a tuxedo.

Add-on: Although you are saying that the iPhone 4 has fantastic build quality (and I agree), remember that design is basically solid/flat surfaces all around. It's not like they have a keyboard or trackpad to fit together, so it has less moving or connected pieces.
    Last edited by Shake; 07-24-11 at 05:24 PM.
    07-24-11 05:13 PM
    It's funny.. There have been tons of threads with people who legitimately have this phone and offer to answer any questions about it etc. BUT for some reason, none of them did a good job compared to you.. Everyone is just getting so much more out of this thread than the others, you are pointing out many different things that some people weren't even thinking about.

This thread is phenomenal, just the way you are describing, answering questions, bringing up things I wasn't even considering is just getting me that much more excited.

Thanks so much for taking your time to do this for us Shake [:

I have previous posts on crackberry which were what you would call borderline whining about this device taking so long. I know what everyone who is waiting for this device is going through. I think it's easy for me to spit out a review of it in hopes that it catches what people want to know, but if the shoe was on the other foot, I would prefer if people tried to answer the questions I had.
    abass likes this.
    07-24-11 05:19 PM
    Thanks for answering those questions Shake!
    ...That was mighty fine of ya.

It would not be honest of me if I didn't say I'm a little put off that it doesn't have the voice command search.....
    ...That automatically opens the browser and goes to the website however.
    ...Those are the type of over-sights RIM needs to cease making.
    ...That is IF they plan on stopping the blood loss of departing customers.

As I'm a huge fan of the way BB processes email I'm certain I will be getting the device once Spint gets it....
    ...Unfortunately for RIM - it appears I am a dying breed.
    ...There frankly isn't all that many of us RIM fans left.

And RIM has been WAY to slow to address their over-sights.
    I may be in the minority here, but I just don't get the voice command search stuff. Why is that a major want for you?
    07-24-11 05:31 PM
    I may be in the minority here, but I just don't get the voice command search stuff. Why is that a major want for you?
    Your not. I never use it and find it pointless.
    ADGrant, Dammerung2010 and bdad14 like this.
    07-24-11 05:38 PM
    Convenience is what it boils down to - having the ability to get a phone number while on the move....
    ...Of the people I work with that have Droids that feature is used on the phone all the time.
    ...It's fast, simple to use and there isn't a charge associated with it.

Your not. I never use it and find it pointless.
    That comment leads me to believe you might work for RIM in it's R&D???
    ...It's exactly THAT kind of reasoning that's placed RIM where it is in the market today.
    07-24-11 05:44 PM
    How's the screen quality/responsiveness compare with the playbook? (is there an option to turn 'liquid graphics' off to compare?)

Is it possible to do a speedtest.net test on the phone whilst on '4g'?

TIA, (sorry if any of these have been asked/answered before)
    Last edited by gimpy39; 07-24-11 at 06:39 PM.
    07-24-11 05:45 PM
    How's the screen quality/responsiveness compare with the playbook? (is there an option to turn 'liquid graphics' off to compare?)

Is it possible to do a speedtest.net test on the phone whilst on '4g'?

TIA, (sorry if any of these have been asked/answered before)
    The screen responsiveness to me is as good as the PlayBook. It's so much smaller, so the comparison is difficult. I have not had a point where I am waiting to see if what I tapped registered or had to tap something over and over again because it didn't react. I tap, swipe, pinch zoom, etc. and it just does it. I think it's as good as the iPhone 4 in that regard.

I can't do speedtest.net because of the Flash requirement. I did test on toast.net's speedtest and all the download speeds for their broadband section were between 2.5-3 Mbps. The same test on an AT&T iPhone 4 is between 1-1.5 Mbps.
    07-24-11 06:07 PM
292 ... 89101112
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD