So, I tried to use GM on my 9900 today. Impossible. When I zoom in, the font on the street names no longer zooms, like it did on my curve. The print is so tiny, no matter how it's zoomed, that it pretty much renders the app dangerous to use while driving.

I don't need it a lot, but sure liked having it, and I have my bookmarks in my google account.

Is there some setting I'm missing, or do I need to find a different map app?
    01-02-12 10:38 PM
    I deleted Google Maps in favor of BlackBerry Maps app that comes on our device stock.
    01-02-12 10:42 PM
    it pretty much renders the app dangerous to use while driving.
    Using your phone for anything while driving is dangerous.
    01-02-12 11:06 PM
    HershL,

Take a look at BB Traffic v3+, it uses voice prompts, plus updates you on traffic issues in route.
    01-02-12 11:19 PM
    HershL,

Take a look at BB Traffic v3+, it uses voice prompts, plus updates you on traffic issues in route.
    hey youre the 3rd person that has said this. but, when i go into app world and go to the test center, i dont see it. how do i get this?
    01-02-12 11:22 PM
    I just went into BB App World on my 9930, in the search field I used "traffic" (without the quotes) and it only returned one hit under App, and it was BB Traffic 3.0.0.389.
    HershL likes this.
    01-02-12 11:40 PM
    P.S. it is no longer a BETA, it is now for general release.
    01-02-12 11:42 PM
    P.S. it is no longer a BETA, it is now for general release.
    weird. when i do the search it pops up but its version 2.0.2.20
    01-02-12 11:44 PM
    oops. i guess since i once had it installed, it makes u reinstall the old one before offering the upgraded version. downloading!
    01-02-12 11:46 PM
    try pulling the battery from your BB for a minute or two and then restart it, and see if that resets App World. it may just need to be refreshed in order to see it.
    01-02-12 11:47 PM
    I deleted Google Maps in favor of BlackBerry Maps app that

It comes on our device stock.
    I can't find it, not sure if I deleted it? Went to blackberry.com to download it and it said

"Notice
    Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry Maps."

???
    01-02-12 11:53 PM
    HershL,

That's a strange one. I have OS v7.1 on my 9930 and haven't seen that error, so I cant help you there, but hopefully you can use BB Traffic v3 and like it as an alternative to either maps app, especially with the voice prompts.
    01-02-12 11:59 PM
    Just looked at DM, and it says that BBMaps is already installed,...I am such a dork. Searched the phone and the icon showed up. I swear it wasn't there before! Oh well....

Downloading BB Traffic 3.0 right now. Also downloaded another GPS tool, gives speed, elevation, etc., and works with both Google Maps and BB Maps. Looks kinda handy.
    01-03-12 12:25 AM
    Bing Maps app, get with the times. Gmaps for blackberry is outdated and abominably slow. Bing maps is hugely superior... but yes, bb maps is fast, though stripped of many useful features.

Here lemme help http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/9656
    Last edited by pblakk; 01-03-12 at 12:36 AM.
    01-03-12 12:34 AM
    Bing Maps app, get with the times. Gmaps for blackberry is outdated and abominably slow. Bing maps is hugely superior... but yes, bb maps is fast, though stripped of many useful features.

Here lemme help http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/9656

The 9900 is not supported

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-03-12 03:39 AM
    AT&T supposedly hide BB Maps on their phones, but I had it on my 9900 from the start. Maybe I had to unhide it on other phones and that carried through to my 9900. I really like BB Maps and have dumped Google Maps for it. I like that I can find a location on the map and send it to BB Traffic for navigation/traffic. Like others have said, BB Traffic 3.x is SWEET.

Joe
    01-03-12 06:36 AM
    So, I tried to use GM on my 9900 today. Impossible. When I zoom in, the font on the street names no longer zooms, like it did on my curve.
    Well, that's odd. I use Google Maps a lot, and the street names zoom just fine. You used 'I' to zoom, right? Just as you did on your Curve.

I prefer GM to BB Maps because it give public transit information, which can be very handy. I don't know if Bing does this.
    01-03-12 08:12 AM
    For GM or BB Maps- how do you know if you're using data? i've got unlimited BIS- do i just set the APN inside these apps to my providers? Will I ever be using data (not included in bis)?
    thx
    01-03-12 08:25 AM
    So, I tried to use GM on my 9900 today. Impossible. When I zoom in, the font on the street names no longer zooms, like it did on my curve. The print is so tiny, no matter how it's zoomed, that it pretty much renders the app dangerous to use while driving.

I don't need it a lot, but sure liked having it, and I have my bookmarks in my google account.

Is there some setting I'm missing, or do I need to find a different map app?
    i read this post this morning. i've not used bb maps for along time and tried it today i'd forgotten how good it is.I was having the same problem with google maps so its gone and i'm sticking with bbmaps
    01-03-12 09:46 AM
    I use telenav for mapping as well as nav. It has replaced google maps, bb maps, poynt and yellowpages on my device. It does them all and does them well. The actual nav is also outstanding for the price. BB Traffic has no map view during nav, so its gone from my 9930 as well.

Sent from my Big Red BlackBerry 9930
    flyingsolid likes this.
    01-03-12 12:50 PM
    For GM or BB Maps- how do you know if you're using data? i've got unlimited BIS- do i just set the APN inside these apps to my providers? Will I ever be using data (not included in bis)?
    thx
    anyone can help?
    thanks
    01-03-12 07:53 PM
    anyone can help?
    thanks
    Check your service books. It depends on your carrier. If there's a service book entry for Google Maps, then it's on BIS.

I still don't understand why some people can't zoom in Google Maps.
    01-03-12 09:43 PM
    I still don't understand why some people can't zoom in Google Maps.
    I can zoom, the writing though doesn't enlarge. Even with my cheater glasses, I can't make out many of the names. Didn't have a problem on my old phone. Sure wish there were a way to change the font size

There's a problem when there is no distance that I can hold the phone and read the type, even with glasses. With BBMaps, I can read it without my glasses. (Getting old sucks...)
    01-03-12 11:40 PM
    Ubizmo: Check your service books. It depends on your carrier. If there's a service book entry for Google Maps, then it's on BIS.

But you can't change the settings in Google Maps to make it part of BIS?
    If not, how do you use GPS for free (not using any 'data' then- download all maps? How?
    Thanks
    01-04-12 07:49 AM
    Ubizmo: Check your service books. It depends on your carrier. If there's a service book entry for Google Maps, then it's on BIS.

But you can't change the settings in Google Maps to make it part of BIS?
    If not, how do you use GPS for free (not using any 'data' then- download all maps? How?
    Thanks
    ok, sorted it out. Since BM was built in to the phone it's included under bis.
    thanks
    01-04-12 08:05 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD