Now that .440 has been on my BB's for a few weeks, I'm seeing way better battery than all previous releases. I have my backlight set @10%, Social feeds uninstalled, all radios and GPS off, except for mobile. Bluetooth and WiFi ON - ONLY when in use/ range, 640*480 all black image on the home screen, LED indicator off and no background apps except for the usual 5 etc...

I get about 70-80% of the battery life I had on my 9780...and I have the dual charger solution with a 2nd battery. I always have plenty of power!

@ the OP...enjoy your 9780!
    10-17-11 10:50 PM
    I'm on the 9930 after eight months with Android and three months with a dying battery on a three-year-old BB 9000. The 12-13 hours I'm getting on this is a breath of fresh air. I tweeted, took pictures, texted, made a few calls, texted and tweeted some more, used my 3G, listened to some music, and loaded a YouTube video for fun.

I'm at 19% after losing about 6% an hour since unplugging at 10:30 a.m. That's awesome. On more conservative days, where I'd turn off the radio in parts of a building with a weak signal, I'd be at around 30-40% at this point.
    Last edited by Amen; 10-19-11 at 01:06 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-17-11 11:04 PM
    Crazy is leaving all your radios on and expecting the battery to last, on any phone.

Maybe you wouldn't need a battery app if you did your social feed updates manually or less frequently. The phone also has power monitoring capabilities for each app so that might be a clue right there.

You expect a new model to have access to every app available on your 9780? If they were so important why did you not look into what was compatible and what was not, when you bought your phone?

And now to show everyone how serious you are, you will be ditching the 9900 before the apps your missing are available.

Switching off radios that are not in use is "Mobile Phone101"

Minimizing social feed updates is "Mobile Phone 101"

Waiting for updated apps on a new device is "Mobile Phone 101"

Have you wiped your phone, installed the latest OS, restored your personal information and re-installed your apps? That's "Blackberry 101".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So it's crazy to expect to use all the features? I don't think so. I deleted Social Feeds and only updated FB every 3 hours and Ubersocial every 4 hours. Bluetooth, GPS and 3G were all switched off. Yes I do expect basic apps to be available. I set my device up as new - I didn't do a data transfer. I upgraded to .353 and then .440.

By the way, thanks for your lesson in being a totally condescending prat, you're really very good at it!
    10-18-11 08:44 AM
    By the way, thanks for your lesson in being a totally condescending prat, you're really very good at it!
    Your quite welcome. It helps to let people know when you are able to detect BS. It usually prevents people from trying to jerrk you around after that point. Give it a whirl. Why let people suck the life force out of your body with nonsense and lying? I respect aggressive people if they are honest. Speaking your mind reguarding confrontation doersnt mean aggression need be involved either, its been my experience the aggression usually comes from dishonest person in a conversation.

You may wanna look up the definition of "PRAT" though, I think maybe your aim is off a bit with that one.

Just a little bit about people, nothing directed at anyone here accept maybe lostOzone. He is the kinda guy who would stand in front of a Judge in traffic court and get 30 days in jail because he couldn't stop himself from telling the Judge how "I should be able to do this" and "I should be able to do that".
    Last edited by olblueyez; 10-18-11 at 09:43 AM.
    10-18-11 09:39 AM
    Only in your mind. If you can't grasp the fact that "conservative" settings "conserve" power than you may wanna trade your smart phone for an easy to use Flip Phone.
    Let me rephrase. What you wrote is true but it feels wrong. The point was with the 9780 we didn't had to be that conservative.

We should all have our programs set to update as often as they can simply because the settings are available and have all the radios turned on and still have a days worth of power? That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen anyone write on Crackberry. Once again, you are writing pure nonsense for the sake of argument. Everyone knows a smartphone is full of settings that affect power usage and updating social apps every few minutes "REQUIRES" concessions in other areas like TURNING YOUR BLUETOOTH & WiFi OFF WHEN YOUR NOT USING THEM!!!!!
    Basically you are blaming us for not being conservative. Blaming the user is a simple answer to avoid telling the true story, the 9900 battery life is less than good for a BlackBerry. Plus I'm bored to read that kind of answer. Devices are made for people to use not the other way around. So I'd rather blame the device over the user after checking the facts.
    Then I get the fact that technology has limitations but the main point of this thread was that the 9780 lasted longer than the 9900 for few of us (if not most of us) with the same usage profile.
    Plus even RIM has this straight on the specs the 9900 standby time is half the 9780. The 9780 was great because it specifically made me forget about those conservative usage and settings I had on previous smartphones. And I've tried a lot of those devices.

Just a little bit about people, nothing directed at anyone here accept maybe lostOzone. He is the kinda guy who would stand in front of a Judge in traffic court and get 30 days in jail because he couldn't stop himself from telling the Judge how "I should be able to do this" and "I should be able to do that".
    Thanks for the direction I dig special treatment But you are so off topic there that I won't argue even for the sake of an argument. That's not the kind of argument I'm waiting for on this forum.
    10-18-11 10:37 AM
    I bought the 9900 as soon as it was released, and I've tried hard to like it. Yes, it has a great keyboard but there are more minuses than plusses. Having used a BlackBerry for years, I can't accept having a battery that just isn't up to the job. It's crazy that I need to turn off 3G, GPS, bluetooth, etc just to ensure that I can get through the day. I don't expect to have to limit my activity on facebook and twitter. Never before have I had to use a battery app to monitor my usage and remaining charge. The lack of apps generally is also an issue. Kindle and LinkedIn apps are part of my every day routine. Reading between the lines in many of the 9900 threads on here it would appear that lots of people feel the same, but can't bear to actually admit it. So, the 9900 is being sold and I'm back with my trusted 9780 until RIM release a new BlackBerry that does everything it's become renowned for in the past.
    AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. Love the 9900 but the battery is shocking & the camera a Joke. These are 2 things i relied upon ALOT on my 9780 & it delivered. I dont need to use my BB for internet (Thank God. Its only decent in comparison to other BlackBerrys so not hard to beat) just need it for calls, Text, TEXT Emails (Images are a pain on any BB), Calendar, Word & Docs to go. Ive currently got mine up for sale & im actually contemplating going back to my 9700 till i can sell it & get another 9780
    10-18-11 11:08 AM
    Couldn't agree more with your decision. I would go back to my 9700 if I could. A 9780 would be even better but neither is an option with my new carrier, which whom I am now haggling to get my bricked 9930 replaced.
    nat750 likes this.
    10-19-11 12:08 AM
    Ok the 9780 had awesome battery life, though. Like... Amazing. You cannot harp on the 9900 for not mirroring it when it is a completely different battery, OS, and form facto - plus a bigger screen! The 9860 and 9900 use the slimmer battery to get the slimmer form factor. It sacrificed battery life and the auto-focus on the battery. The 9360 is the same story, but a different battery (still pretty sub-par IMHO). To be honest, if it was that important, more research or questions should have been asked at or before the time of purchase.
    The 9810 has the same battery as the 9800 and still has auto-focus, so is a nice option if you want to get away from a 9900.

I DO find that when I am using data over wifi, (and I am in wifi areas 90+ per cent of my day), it is much easier on my battery (2 days vs. 1), however my carrier is very congested right now so using HSPA+ for data can be frustrating sometimes and that could have caused issues for my battery with the phone working so hard.

Really, though - a smartphone should last a day. Don't expect more. And appreciate the fact you aren't using a Galaxy S1 bc you don't even know what crappy battery life is haha... I am a little nervous about apps with bbx looming but I guess we'll see. It's part of being on the forefront of technology - sometimes there's quirks!

10-19-11 02:15 AM
    Idc what none of you say.. Because regardless if you go to the 97xx models or 9800 models your battery isn't no better then the 99xx for anyone who is on they're phone 24/7

If your a social guy and you get about 50+ emails a day, tweeting all day, facebook, phone calls, texting etc.. your battery will be at 25% at least maybe 30%.

Your old battery is only probably 10-15x better then this one. stating that you probably only getting 2 hours more out of your old battery

its no phone on the planet that is going to have 50% left at the end of the day from someone who been hammering it ALL DAY. and I'm not talking about using your phone for 30mins and then letting it rest for 2hrs and picking it back up. i mean your phone in your hands every 5mins
    Last edited by YoungAceAtlanta; 10-19-11 at 04:10 AM.
    10-19-11 04:05 AM
    Well,
    Unfortunatelly, today i am returning my 9900. After a few days of patience, i have to return to my 9700 bold. The battery of 9900 won.
    The Bold Touch is a great phone by essence, with a great keyboard and interface. BUT, the huge lack of power makes him useless.
    Since RIM went crazy with the last models, i do believe i have to move to another company in the near future. Apple or Samsung are my options.
    I am sorry RIM, but you are unable to keep me IN MOTION!

10-19-11 04:48 AM
    Well,
    Unfortunatelly, today i am returning my 9900. After a few days of patience, i have to return to my 9700 bold. The battery of 9900 won.
    The Bold Touch is a great phone by essence, with a great keyboard and interface. BUT, the huge lack of power makes him useless.
    Since RIM went crazy with the last models, i do believe i have to move to another company in the near future. Apple or Samsung are my options.
    I am sorry RIM, but you are unable to keep me IN MOTION!

How long long do you last on a charge?
    10-19-11 04:58 AM
    Well, at 00.00 i connected the charger. The second day at 02.00 pm the phone was dead. And repeating.
    5 email adresses, bbm and whatsapp.

10-19-11 05:27 AM
    So your saying its how you use the phone and not the demons inside the phone draining your phone for evil fun?

Chrisy likes this.
    10-19-11 05:17 PM
    The 9780 Blackberry is really nice device. i am waiting to see a new improved version.
    10-19-11 11:08 PM
    I've had a 9780 since it was released almost a year ago. I had some issues with stuttering keyboard, but they were eventually resolved (replacements). It's been a very good device. I have my Facebook, Twitter, and RSS apps set to manual update, since I really don't need my day to be a constant chorus of alerts. The 9780 works well with my PlayBook, and I get superb battery life.

I'm a Kindle user, and even though the 9900 screen isn't that much bigger, it would be nice for Kindle...but Kindle isn't available for it yet! So at the moment I'm content to wait and see what happens. Maybe the price on the 9900 will come down, and maybe Kindle will become available for it. Or maybe I'll just keep the 9780 until the QNX phones arrive. I'm eligible for a partial upgrade discount with Tmobile now, but I'll get a better deal on whatever I buy if I wait 8 more months.
    10-20-11 08:36 AM
    I dont realli have a problem with the battery. I can get around 2 days of use out of mine with 3g/wifi on and facebook emails syncing and gneeral phone use bbm sms mobile.

It seems ok better then my old htc desire
    10-20-11 09:28 AM
    Is the 9900 harder on a battery than a 9930? I have a 9930 and experience terrific battery life. Just wondering if there is a difference between the two??
    10-20-11 09:30 AM
    Is the 9900 harder on a battery than a 9930? I have a 9930 and experience terrific battery life. Just wondering if there is a difference between the two??

I think the OP just has a bad device or battery. The 9930 battery like isn't that bad. Far better than any Android device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 01:54 PM
    Went back to my 9700 after I got the 9900 and returned it back for a full refund. The battery life of the 9900 really turned me off, as well as knowing that BBX handsets have been said to arrive in 2012. But then again, this is RIM and their announcements we're talking about here...
    nat750 likes this.
    10-20-11 01:59 PM
    i had battery issues on my 9900... then i wiped + installed the latest OS... battery life improved significantly.

I do admit I used to get 48 hours on a single 100% charge with my 9780, but I can deal with 30-36 hours depending on usage on my 9900.

waaaaaaaaay better than the 7-8 hour lifespan of my HTC Inspire (used that for about 2 months).
    10-20-11 02:11 PM
    That's funny...I get 16-18 hours out of mine with pretty heavy usage. It took about a week and a calibration though

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 02:33 PM
    Went back to my 9700 after I got the 9900 and returned it back for a full refund. The battery life of the 9900 really turned me off, as well as knowing that BBX handsets have been said to arrive in 2012. But then again, this is RIM and their announcements we're talking about here...
    Many times there are delays. The Playbook Android app player is still not released and was supposed to be available monthes ago.. Then don't forget that making a mature OS is not a easy task. It tooks Apple 2.5 years of dev to deliver the iPhone and then one more to have apps and exchange support meaning decent pushmail system. Android was not really finished until 2.1/2.2 with exchange support too. Even Microsoft required the release a second version of Windows Phone to have a decent OS.

i had battery issues on my 9900... then i wiped + installed the latest OS... battery life improved significantly.

I do admit I used to get 48 hours on a single 100% charge with my 9780, but I can deal with 30-36 hours depending on usage on my 9900.

waaaaaaaaay better than the 7-8 hour lifespan of my HTC Inspire (used that for about 2 months).
    I wiped too and did a selective restore (messages, phone log, phone history and sms) and I saw improvements but something like 10%.
    10-21-11 08:18 AM
    Could the people who are not having good battery life chime in and tell us if you let the battery die before you put it back on the charger?
    10-21-11 09:06 AM
    Hmm I went from a Tour 9630 to a 9900 and did a carrier switch and I love the 9900. Of course since I was a CDMA user before, I was used to charging every night and used to the network consuming more batter than 2G/3G GSM. I'm running on HSPA+ with T-Mobile now and it seems about the same as running CDMA. I keep WiFi off during the day because no WiFi Calling yet and I don't have it around the office anyway, and the HSPA+ is more than adequate. I have Bluetooth on all the time because of the Bridge and GPS on all the time too.
    10-21-11 09:39 AM
    No issues with my battery life. The only time I don't make it through the day with plenty of leftover juice is when I'm traveling and spend over an hour using VZ Navigator to get to dinner and back. And for those days, we have a solution -- the spare battery.

As others have said, when you make the screen bigger and brighter (and touchier?), make the processor faster, and make the phone thinner, something's gotta give. I'll take the 9930 upside and sacrifice the few hours of less battery compared to it's predecessors.
    10-21-11 09:52 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD