What is the most cost effective solution to use my Verizon contracted Bold 9930 in Canada for four days? I will need to be able to SMS/email/data/voice.

Do I unlock the phone and put in a Rogers SIM (if so, do I still get billed normally through Verizon?)?

Can I go to Verizon and pay them in advance for a certain usage rate?

Is there another method?

I really have no idea, so I'd really appreciate some insight.
    03-03-12 02:46 PM
    i may be wrong but i think you may be out of luck because there are no bands that the 9930 runs that are in Canada. I may very well be very wrong but 9930 is not sold in Canada.
    03-03-12 02:58 PM
    To me when I go the the US I check with my service provider.. Tell them where where you are going and what charges you can expect.... I would simply reverse what I did and call Verizon and find out service and costs..... It can be really expensive if on roaming... You might want to look for WIFI hotspots instead....
    03-03-12 03:11 PM
    i may be wrong but i think you may be out of luck because there are no bands that the 9930 runs that are in Canada. I may very well be very wrong but 9930 is not sold in Canada.
    I know that I can use 2G bands from Rogers and Fido.
    No 3G.
    03-03-12 03:21 PM
    I know that I can use 2G bands from Rogers and Fido.
    No 3G.
    9930 still support the 3G system operated by Rogers. I think you can use that because 9930 is still a world phone. Too bad RIM decided to make different versions instead of going with one.
    03-03-12 05:16 PM
    Just ask Verizon. My old 8703e worked fine in 2006 when I was a couple hours outside of Edmonton.
    03-03-12 07:34 PM
    My older 8830 and my more recent Bold/9650 both JUST worked in Canada. I suspect that my brand new 9930 would, too. No issues other than cost if you just use it. I did not use it much - a few phone calls and some short web sessions to look up restaurants and museums and then calling them.

I have never done a sim card replacement. When I was in Europe in 2009, Verizon had a terrific Global program - for $35 more per month UNlimited data and calls for half price (did not call more than 3 times) but used 3gigs of data. That program is gone and their rates are exorbitant.
    03-04-12 04:13 PM
    I would first talk to Verizon. Most carriers have travel packages you can buy. They will be MORE reasonable than not doing anything. I "think" that Verizon and Bell/Telus share CDMA frequencies, so the phone should work up here (in Canada)

To use a Rogers SIM you will need a rogers account, and you need the phone unlocked.

I have an article on my site about travelling with your BB. Link is in my sig
    03-04-12 04:24 PM
    Telus and Bell still run CDMA networks alongside their HSPA+ network. You may want to check with Verizon to see if they have any specific short term Canada roaming plans that they can add to your account.
    03-04-12 06:44 PM
    Couldn't you just have it unlocked and buy a prepaid sim when you get there?
    03-04-12 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD