Good evening all...

I've noticed if I have my Gmail account on my BlackBerry, changes made to Contacts and Calendar items from Gmail online does NOT seem to sync to my BlackBerry BOLD 9900...

I've even removed my account and re-added it, and it updates that first time, but further changes don't. I'm now looking into this Google Sync software to see if that helps...

I'm curious, does anyone else have a similar issue?
    12-28-11 05:50 PM
    Have you waited long enough? BIS sync with Google is far from instantaneous. It can take up to four hours.
    12-28-11 06:15 PM
    I have been using google sync and it seems to be working great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-11 06:17 PM
    in ur email settings, did u tick on the contacts and calendar checkbox?

mine syncs perfectly both ways (not using google sync). i am only syncing calendar though.
    12-28-11 06:34 PM
    Yes, I have Contacts and Calendar selected in BIS sync. I wasn't aware it could take as long as FOUR hours!

I guess I'm just use to the instant update (or virtually instant) from iOS devices.

I've now deleted Google Sync and I've set BIS Contact and Calendar sync again. I'll test it over the next 24 hours or so...

Thanks for the responses thus far, keep me coming
    12-28-11 06:44 PM
    For couple of months syncing gmail acc on BIS dont works for me. Calendar sometime works sometime not - contacts sync doesn't.

Never been patient to wait for four hours - will be interested to see the outcome of the "waiting effort" of OP.

12-28-11 07:00 PM
    The Google sync app is faster, but a lot of people find it buggy. BIS sync isn't intended to be an instant sync, but I think you can force a sync by going to email Options, unchecking Contact and Calendar sync, clicking Save, and then re-checking them and saving again. You could try that if you need a fast (sort of) sync.

About BIS Contact sync...Put the WHOLE postal address in the "Address 1" field on your BB. If you don't, you may find some of your addresses getting mutilated.
    12-28-11 08:23 PM
    Sync screws up your addresses and sometimes takes the home address and copies it to the "work" address. Also...no contact pictures transfer over. If you take a picture with the phone and attach it to a contact...it will not sync back.
    12-28-11 09:33 PM
    DrJerryG, too late! All the addresses in my Contacts need to be edited now...

And, it seems as I edit them, the info either comes back, or changes to something else altogether! Not happy or impressed.

But, was this caused by the BIS Contact \ Calendar sync, or the Google Sync?
    Last edited by anon(153966); 12-28-11 at 10:25 PM.
    12-28-11 10:11 PM
    But, was this caused by the BIS Contact \ Calendar sync, or the Google Sync?
    I'm not sure. I do know that you must use one or the other, not both. I haven't used the Google Sync app in years, so I can't comment on it, other than to point out that some people had problems with it.

I may have misspoken above. I think that if you add or edit a Contact on your BB, BIS sync will push that change to your Google account pretty quickly. But if you make a change in the Google account, it can take up to four hours to appear on your BB. This is because BIS sync works by means of RIM's servers checking your Google account on a four-hour schedule, and pushing any changes to your device. This time interval is not something the end user can set.

I haven't had problems with Contact info getting clipped since I discovered, by trial and error, that the entire address, including city, state, province, postal code, should be put into the first street address field on the BB. Before I learned that, it was maddening to find only the city and state left, when I needed the street address. I also haven't had the problem of Home and Work addresses getting changed since adopting the one-field approach to addresses on the BB.

Google treats addresses as a single string of text. When you use BB Contacts as it's meant to be used, with various fields for street, city, state, etc, it just fails when it's shipped to Google. But this is a formatting issue, and all I care about is having the Contacts there, intact, where I need them. I don't know if BIS sync behaves better with Yahoo.
    12-29-11 08:34 AM
    Here is the latest (and THANKS for everyone's comments)...

The issue is\was Google Sync. I've since uninstalled it, and now merely only using BIS sync.
    When using Google Sync it would copy all the data in the 'home' fields for Contacts to the 'work' fields in Gmail Contacts online. I spent almost two hours last night updating all my Contacts! Then I exported them from Gmail before doing anything else

To get my Contacts and Calendar working correctly, I initially deleted my service books for the Gmail account I had on my BlackBerry, but that didn't help.

So, this morning I decided to delete my entire account from my BlackBerry, and re-add it. In doing so, it re-authenticates from the device to my Gmail account and then syncs correctly the first time, and from then on...

I also did a few test, I deleted\edited items in Contacts and Calendar online, via Gmail, and waited. It only took minutes for said change to appear on my BlackBerry. I also did another test of deleting\editing items on the BlackBerry, and again, it literally took minutes to show said updates in Gmail online.

Word!
    12-29-11 08:59 AM
    I also did a few test, I deleted\edited items in Contacts and Calendar online, via Gmail, and waited. It only took minutes for said change to appear on my BlackBerry. I also did another test of deleting\editing items on the BlackBerry, and again, it literally took minutes to show said updates in Gmail online.

Word!
    Excellent!

I don't know if you can count on the sync always being that fast in the Google>BB direction. The four-hour cycle was something told to me by BB Tech Support when I was having difficulties similar to yours. But that was a couple of years ago, and things may have changed since then.

Since I do virtually all of my Contact adding, deleting, and editing from my BB, I'm not too concerned about how long it takes changes to move in the other direction.
    12-29-11 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD