• iPhone 4S

13 15.85%
  • Samsung Galaxy SII

2 2.44%
  • Nexus

7 8.54%
  • Windows phone

0 0%
    Given a choice to get a new phone weighing whats out there now, would you choose a 9900/9930, 9790, Torch 2 etc or would you go iPhone 4S, Android Galaxy S II, or Nexus etc

I know I am asking this on a BB site but - considering the state of the company its an interesting

9900 no auto focus but good everything else for the most part 14.4 network speed
    battery not as good as other BB's
    9790 smaller form factor a bit slower 7.2 network speed
    Torch 2 slider 14.4 network speed

iPhone 4S , bad sound,signal iffy 14.4 network speed, battery pretty good

Galaxy S II android device, 21mps but still touch screen no qwerty
    01-04-12 07:51 AM
    I think its a personal taste issue, condsidering you have all the inside knowledge.
    01-04-12 08:08 AM
    I am just curious to know what people are thinking as far as their choices these days ...
    01-04-12 08:19 AM
    This is a choice of very personal preference...
    I own a 9900 and i am happy with it..
    Pros:
    1. Excellent form factor and great keyboard.
    2. More RAM & CPU cycles.
    3. Touch & Type make things really easy and fast.
    4. Slim and bit robust.

Cons:
    1. Less app memory (120MB+, but BB has very expensive and less farting apps)
    2. No Auto focus camera (i don't use camera, so it doesn't bother me)
    3. Very Low battery performance (OS7 is still in not good shape, Hoping RIM comes with some solution)
    so, you see..
    BlackBerry fits my needs. Which one to buy depends on how much you are willing to spend.
    Every smart phone does some good and some bad. so doesn't matter which every you buy, it will definitely lack something.
    Now....
    You must decide your needs (style statement, games/ apps, communication, etc) and choose accordingly.
    i choose BlackBerry because i need a good communication tool, and BB does it very well.
    All in One is really hard to find.
    any smart/feature phone is excellent depending upon how you use it and how well it serves your purpose.
    Phones are not smart, One who uses it must be smart, just some phones provide some extra facilities that helps to achieve certain goal very easily.
    good luck..
    berry_addict likes this.
    01-04-12 08:21 AM
    I wouldn't criticize any of your choices as they are all great options, but Bold 9900 is going to be tops on your poll here, this is Crackberry.com. Post it on tipb.com, and the 4S wins, androidcentral.com the Galaxy SII wins, etc.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-04-12 08:27 AM
    The decision on which phone to purchase has become difficult over the years, your now required to do extensive research to match what fits YOUR lifestyle, if you want to get the most out of your phone. I personally like the Blackberry Bold 9930, it fits MY lifestyle and what I would need from a phone. Now if they can stop the damn thing from bricking
    01-04-12 08:32 AM
    I like how the people here are giving good tips, and are honest, not just screaming that the iPhone sucks or that Android is difficult to use etc.
    Thumbs up for you guys!
    berry_addict and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    01-04-12 08:44 AM
    I like how the people here are giving good tips, and are honest, not just screaming that the iPhone sucks or that Android is difficult to use etc.
    Thumbs up for you guys!
    For my part, I always compare to what I use and know. I have the iPhone 4 and the Bold 9900 and formely 9700, 9100 and a 8520. If only we could mix the 9900 with the apps of apple, that would be the perfect phone ! The biggest problem with Bb right now, are the lack of apps. Get RIM phones to flood the market and you will create the demand and the offer for great apps.

That is my 2 cents.
    01-04-12 09:14 AM
    Go to a store play with them. And be sure to decide on your OS. An OS is very personal, if you dont like the ui, battery and the design of the phone aint gonna matter.

For me, now: 9900>iphone 4s>galaxy nexus

But when iphone 5 is released it will be the new king and i will definitely choose it over the 9900 because of th media functionalities.
    01-04-12 09:14 AM
    This is a choice of very personal preference...
    I own a 9900 and i am happy with it..
    Pros:
    1. Excellent form factor and great keyboard.
    2. More RAM & CPU cycles.
    3. Touch & Type make things really easy and fast.
    4. Slim and bit robust.

Cons:
    1. Less app memory (120MB+, but BB has very expensive and less farting apps)
    2. No Auto focus camera (i don't use camera, so it doesn't bother me)
    3. Very Low battery performance (OS7 is still in not good shape, Hoping RIM comes with some solution)
    so, you see..
    BlackBerry fits my needs. Which one to buy depends on how much you are willing to spend.
    Every smart phone does some good and some bad. so doesn't matter which every you buy, it will definitely lack something.
    Now....
    You must decide your needs (style statement, games/ apps, communication, etc) and choose accordingly.
    i choose BlackBerry because i need a good communication tool, and BB does it very well.
    All in One is really hard to find.
    any smart/feature phone is excellent depending upon how you use it and how well it serves your purpose.
    Phones are not smart, One who uses it must be smart, just some phones provide some extra facilities that helps to achieve certain goal very easily.
    good luck..

Totally agree with you. Especially about farting apps, who the needs this anyways ??? anyhow...

If you need those kinds of apps, it's not a phone that you need but more fibers in your meals !!!!
    01-04-12 09:22 AM
    There is not a bad choice here. I agree, get one because it fits YOU not because it's the flavor of the month or peer pressure.

I need a communication device personally...none better than a bb and I love the 9930.
    01-04-12 09:24 AM
    One thing I don't like about iPhones (and don't hear about much) is navagating through the various menus and such. With a BlackBerry, you have your menu and back buttons (along with keyboard shortcuts) which allow you to quickly close a program. Seems like on the iPhone you have to constantly back out of a program, or just hit the main button on the bottom of the device to get out (which I believe keeps the app still running in the background).

Also, I think copy and pasting is much easier on a BlackBerry. I often need to copy and paste phone numbers, parts of messages, and other info and it's much more fast on the BlackBerry.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is a great (and cool) phone in its own right. But the BlackBerry works better for me personally.

Finally, if you do a lot of texts and emails, nothing really compares to the keyboard on the 9900/9930. It simply cannot be beat as it's so fast and comfortable. This is the main reason I still use a BlackBerry.

9930 on VZW running 7.0.0.374
    01-04-12 10:09 AM
    I love my 9900, but I'm quite disappointed in its lack of supporting live streaming websites. Due to this small issue, I am going to return it and get the Samsung Captivate Glide. I would like my phone to do the things that I pay good money for. Why am I choosing the Samsung? I heard its a pretty good phone, has a physical qwerty keyboard, and can do most things I want it to. I know those aren't very specific reasons, but the BlackBerry has kind of disappointed me. There aren't many options for phones with physical qwerty keyboards so my options were low.
    Last edited by NguyenAdam; 01-04-12 at 12:52 PM.
    01-04-12 10:55 AM
    Love my 9900. Don't know Android phones, but the name just repulses me.
    So, if I did not have a 9900 and had no BlackBerry choice, I would probably try a Nokia Windows phone. I only had Nokia phones before I discovered BlackBerry. iPhone just don't appeal to me. Probably this "cool thing" about them that drives me away.
    01-04-12 11:09 AM
    I've had a Torch 9800 for a while now and decided to "embrace the 'Droid" with a Samsung Galaxy S2. That was a week ago and I'm now back to using my Torch. The SGS2 is a lovely piece of hardware but...... well it's all down to usability really. Miss a call and you won't know with the SGS2 (hereinafter abbreviated to S2) until you unlock the screen and look at it - with the Torch there's a nice red LED blinking. Making and receiving calls with the S2 appears to be just that little bit more of a hassle then with the BB - with the BB you just hit a key (if you have speed-dial enabled) or type the number in and hit the call key. With the S2 you have to open up an app to make calls and it just feels like it's an add-on as opposed to being the core of the device - after all we are talking about smartphones here, not handheld devices.

Yes it's all subjective and on paper the S2 is streets ahead the better device - and that's the key, it's a better device, not a better phone. If you want a device that will browse the internet, has loads of applications (the Google star-chart is superb) and can also be used (somewhat reluctantly IMHO) to make and receive calls, then go for the S2. However if you want to speak to people with the minimum of hassle (which is my primary need) and it's nice to have some twiddly add-ons like email / messaging and some browsing then get a BB.
    01-04-12 06:03 PM
    I own an I4 and in getting a 9900 shortly. The I4 doesn't completely meet my needs like a nb but it's fun to play with. Battery life isn't that great so it won't bother me with the 9900 having not so good battery life, extra battery(not an option with I4)
    01-04-12 07:12 PM
    not just saying this because its crackberry or because i have a bb, but ibwould choose the 9900 every time! you can keep the apps, the siri (and any ONE feature that apple adds and then expects people to line up to waste their money), give me a bb and im happy!
    01-04-12 07:25 PM
    Well Iv'e had a Galaxy S2 for 5 months... used it to full potential... and berry was much more effecient.... ugh I'm still kicking myself
    01-04-12 07:30 PM
    I've had a 9930 for a few months now. I've also used an iphone in the past. The main things I like about the 9930 is physical keyboard, ability to have separate email folders on home screen and LED notification light. All these r important to me.

The iphone on the other hand is a great overall device. Incredible screen, camera and all the Apple apps 4 it r well done. From what I've seen of the BB apps there r unfortunately very few quality apps available. Also if u r a hvy gmail user iOS is much better than BB.

I'm overall happy with my 9930 purchase but have to say my next phone will probably be an iphone unless BB really moves the platform forward.
    01-04-12 08:43 PM
    Just made the choice a couple of days ago. Came from a Android Droid X and choose the blackberry bold 9930. I am more impressed with this phone then i thought I would be. I could of got any phone and I know i made the best choice for me.
    01-04-12 09:20 PM
    why get the iphone in first place if it doesn't meet needs?this shows stupidity.android is way better platform than apple right now.the only thing keeping from going android is its subpar battery life.as far which phone the op should choose,well the rule of thumb is to write down your needs on a piece of paper first before buying.
    01-04-12 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD