I'm exited to be back on a BlackBerry, and opted for the 9900!

I've come from iOS to Android to BB, i used to have the curve 8900, and the wheel annoyed me! I'm glad the trackpad has come around!

Does anyone have any tips for me, for example, how to get the best battery life (i know to turn off auto sync type thing for twitter/facebook) and any app recommendations?

And i also know to update to the latest firmware as well, this will be done as soon as i can.

Thanks in advanced, i look forward to becoming part of the community

_Dixi1801
    03-08-12 07:46 AM
    Well the 9900 is poor on battery life but by setting the screen brightness to the lowest it goes and also turning off all LED notifications is a great way to save battery life. The battery life to be honest is the biggest issue I've faced with the 9900. Also if you have sweaty hands like me lol then make sure you get a cleaning cloth and invest in a cover for your 9900.
    03-08-12 07:50 AM
    Well the 9900 is poor on battery life but by setting the screen brightness to the lowest it goes and also turning off all LED notifications is a great way to save battery life. The battery life to be honest is the biggest issue I've faced with the 9900. Also if you have sweaty hands like me lol then make sure you get a cleaning cloth and invest in a cover for your 9900.
    I'm sure it won't be as bad as my Desire HD's battery, so its a bonus in my eyes! and i'll have it close to the dimmest setting for sure, maybe half way, my eyes hurt if i look at screens which are too bright anyway! and i read on here that the battery life levels out a little after a while? i'll be sure to cycle charge whenever possible! and my hands are rather sweaty, so i think i'll grab a cover from eBay! thanks

does anyone have any more tips for me?

cheers again

_Dixi1801
    03-08-12 07:53 AM
    Install 7.1.267, Get a playbook to bridge with. No need to pay twice for mobile connection and it's at bargain price now.
    03-08-12 08:25 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Install 7.1.267, Get a playbook to bridge with. No need to pay twice for mobile connection and it's at bargain price now.
    +10000 .. agreed ... that's the best of all worlds .... and most cost effective too! ...
    03-08-12 08:37 AM
    Really? 7.1.267 has the best battery life foe me. I used to get ~6% to 8%/hr drain with Telus stock OS 7.0. Now I get ~2%/hr with the same amount of work. Notification on, about 1 hour of web browsing everyday, Advance OS and LED app, Email++ app, some Facebook, five emails, 100+ SMS/BBM, backlight set to 20.

OP, upgrade your OS after you buy the phone.
    03-08-12 09:08 AM
    Notification on, about 1 hour of web browsing everyday, Advance OS and LED app, Email++ app, some Facebook, five emails, 100+ SMS/BBM, backlight set to 20.

+1 ... in total agreement with you ...

perfect advise to the new buyer
    03-08-12 09:35 AM
    Really? 7.1.267 has the best battery life foe me. I used to get ~6% to 8%/hr drain with Telus stock OS 7.0. Now I get ~2%/hr with the same amount of work. Notification on, about 1 hour of web browsing everyday, Advance OS and LED app, Email++ app, some Facebook, five emails, 100+ SMS/BBM, backlight set to 20.

2g or 3g or 2g/3g
    03-08-12 10:11 AM
    ++1
    I have several apps set to auto-update (FB, Twitter, Social Feeds, BWeather), have BBuzz for advanced LED, Screen set to 40, 4 email accounts, and with moderate usage can easily make 24hours between charges.

My Nexus on the other hand I have to charge 2ice a day!

Update to the latest 7.1 OS, and just enjoy the phone. Don't worry about cutting it off at the knees as others suggest...
    03-08-12 10:12 AM
    I am due for an upgrade with my network in the UK too, and am looking to go to 9900 from 9800. I just have some questions:

1) Is the battery life on OS7 phones really that bad compared to OS6?

2) I am looking at a 1-yr contract for the 9900, but given that OS7 will be obsolete when BB10 comes out...should I just wait for 6 months + to get a BB10 phone, or upgrade to 0S7 and be tied down until March next year?

Thanks!

03-08-12 10:20 AM
    make it so your turn is set to auto shut off, i do mine from 1am - 7am weekddaays, 2am - 8am weekends
    03-08-12 10:21 AM
    I am due for an upgrade with my network in the UK too, and am looking to go to 9900 from 9800. I just have some questions:

2) I am looking at a 1-yr contract for the 9900, but given that OS7 will be obsolete when BB10 comes out...should I just wait for 6 months + to get a BB10 phone, or upgrade to 0S7 and be tied down until March next year?

Thanks!

the thing with technology is you can always wait 6 more months to get the newest piece of hardware. I got the 9900 and was kind of reluctant at first but now I absolutely LOVE the phone.

The coolest thing for me is that I can download books in PDF format, and when I go to my cottage if Im sitting outside I can read the book on my phone in the dark at night..... so peaceful
    03-08-12 10:22 AM
    I would look to change your settings to optimize battery performance. I know other people have said it before, but the battery isn't the greatest. Then again on basically every device I've ever had I used an extended battery. My advice is to get a rapid charger. My battery goes from 20%-100% in about 30 minutes. Just plug it in real quick once I get home and I'm good to go.

Phone is great though. Not to sound like a commercial but ever since I dropped my android and got my 9900, I've just been more social and connected to people.
    03-08-12 10:30 AM
    2g or 3g or 2g/3g
    2 to 3%/hr on H+ (3.5 G) on Telus mobility network Calgary. I am always in areas with full 100% bars because I know battery life get bad when you are in areas with weak coverage.

I am very happy.
    03-08-12 10:34 AM
    Update on battery life. I just check my battery drain rate right now and it indicates 6%/hr. But I am sure I got less than that overall last week. I will post back later today with an update.
    03-08-12 10:39 AM

Thanks!

1) The 99xx is going to be worse than older devices based on the smaller battery, higher processor and touchscreen. That said, it still does better than other smartphones in its class (ie Android)

2) OS7 is not going to be obsolete after BB10 comes out. RIM confirmed that they are going to continue supplying OS7... devices in developing markets.

I went from an 9800 to my 9900 and would never go back. Personally, even with the hit to battery life, I find the 2 devices night and day. But to each their own - you'll never know until you try...
    03-08-12 10:46 AM
    Update on battery life. I just check my battery drain rate right now and it indicates 6%/hr. But I am sure I got less than that overall last week. I will post back later today with an update.
    Will it be possible for you to switch it to 2g for 3 or 4 hours and post the drain.
    I am expecting around 1 to 2 % per hour.
    03-08-12 10:48 AM
    Thanks all, i'll read this thread as soon as i get the phone tomorrow and follow what's been said!

and i have a couple of questions...

1) is BlackBerry Music totally free? EDIT - i thought blackberry music was the on demand music service... i think i was wrong, got confused with nokia or w/e!

2) since im on vodafone UK, would i have to try and find the updated OS on the phone, or would i use the one on the stickies on this section? i was wondering about if it would work with me being with a different carrier!

I would look to change your settings to optimize battery performance. I know other people have said it before, but the battery isn't the greatest. Then again on basically every device I've ever had I used an extended battery. My advice is to get a rapid charger. My battery goes from 20%-100% in about 30 minutes. Just plug it in real quick once I get home and I'm good to go.

Phone is great though. Not to sound like a commercial but ever since I dropped my android and got my 9900, I've just been more social and connected to people.
    What is a rapid charger ?

Thanks again everyone
    Last edited by _Dixi1801; 03-08-12 at 11:15 AM.
    03-08-12 11:13 AM
    Thanks all, i'll read this thread as soon as i get the phone tomorrow and follow what's been said!

1) is BlackBerry Music totally free? EDIT - i thought blackberry music was the on demand music service... i think i was wrong, got confused with nokia or w/e!

2) since im on vodafone UK, would i have to try and find the updated OS on the phone, or would i use the one on the stickies on this section? i was wondering about if it would work with me being with a different carrier!

Thanks again everyone
    In response to question 2

You may download either the leaked version or the "official" SK Telecom variant. There are plenty of links about.

Once you have deleted the Vendor.xml files you can install any 9900 OS on your phone irresepective of carrier.

http://jumbofiles.com/wk2v62m4xxyv

http://www.mediafire.com/?wx04f7xpyvr0zqr
    Last edited by Legal Eagle; 03-08-12 at 11:27 AM.
    03-08-12 11:20 AM

Thanks again everyone
    And in response to Q1, I think you're thinking of BBM Music which is a sort of spotify type of service that is currently free until about May time as far as I can recall.
    03-08-12 11:27 AM
    In response to question 2

You may download either the leaked version or the "official" SK Telecom variant. There are plenty of links about.

Once you have deleted the Vendor.xml files you can install any 9900 OS on your phone irresepective of carrier.

JumboFiles.com - Dedicated Hosting

9900jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel921_PL5.1.0.230_A7.1.0.26 7_SK_Telecom__.exe.001
    And in response to Q1, I think you're thinking of BBM Music which is a sort of spotify type of service that is currently free until about May time as far as I can recall.
    Thanks very much for all the answers.

I can't wait for the phone to arrive
    03-08-12 11:52 AM
    One thing for sure do not use the Blink app for this phone you will have charging issues big time I deleted the app and no more issues for me not sure about any of the other LED light notification apps out there but this one for sure will not let your BB 9900 read your charger. I now have Super Color LED instead it works fine.
    03-08-12 12:27 PM
    the thing with technology is you can always wait 6 more months to get the newest piece of hardware. I got the 9900 and was kind of reluctant at first but now I absolutely LOVE the phone.

The coolest thing for me is that I can download books in PDF format, and when I go to my cottage if Im sitting outside I can read the book on my phone in the dark at night..... so peaceful
    On that little screen?? lol!
    03-08-12 01:23 PM
    my BB has arrived! updating as we speak taken off social feeds, as advised to update! will re-read this thread then
    03-09-12 12:10 PM
    yes.. I turn myself from my 9810 to 9900 and thought awhile about the smaller screen size, but now I m very happy with it!
    03-09-12 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD