I use my phone heavily (lots of BBM, few e-mails, SMS and maybe 30 mins of calls) and get the same battery as I did with my Torch 9800. I tend to go to bed early as I get up at 6AM and it lasts me the day. Fantastic phone, I'd recommend it fully. Only suggestion is throw the 7.1.0.205 leak on there. Amazing phone.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 01:49 PM
    I'll be letting go of my aging 9780 within this week and currently deciding which phone to get. From what I've heard, the Bold 9900's battery life is ridiculous.

The Bold 9780 is my first blackberry experience and I love everything about it (except the lags and random reboot+overheat thing) the keyboard on blackberries' TO DIE FOR, no doubt about it. Also, the 9780's battery life is just... wonderful, but it's getting really old.

I'm having a really hard time choosing either the gnexus or the 9900.

The galaxy nexus seems to have a pretty decent battery life and no major issues that can't be resolved by software updates but it's a touch screen device, albeit pretty big, touch screen typing has a learning curve (for me) but the OS is VERY zippy, not to mention the fast updates and APPS.

The bold 9900 on the other, the keyboard's a dream to use as said by many, the 9780's keyboard's pretty small but i can pretty much type on this thing as fast as I can on my laptop. Screen's also said to be amazing and it looks really, really good with the premium look and stuffs. Thing is...

Bold 9900 has a lot of issues, bricking, battery life...

Help me make a decision please?

Neither, Razr Max S.
    End thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-30-12 01:58 PM
    Really? Oh my. Yes indeed the keyboard's really something. How's the battery life on your bold? can you describe your usage?
    Mostly texts, email and browsing. I rarely make phone calls. Average about 100 texts a day, give or take.I unplug my Bold around 5am. After really heavy voice usage, I can get to around 25% battery life around 9pm. But those days are few and far between.

When I had my Galaxy Nexus, even moderate use (Facebook, e-mail, texting), I was in the red after about 6 or 7 hours. I never made it through an entire workday with my GN. It got to the point where I took my wall charger to work and had a car charger for the drive home. It charges fairly quickly, but it was a pain having to carry around a charger. And I never had lots of apps or widgets running. Always closed everything out after using it.

Browsing on the GN is enjoyable because of the screen, but the thing is huge. It's a mini-tablet. It didn't even fit into the shirt pocket of my work uniform.

I've been happy since returning to my Bold. You don't appreciate the keyboard until you don't have it anymore. The typos on the GN were bad and I got lazy about trying to correct them. haha. The Bold gets slammed on battery life when being compared to older Blackberries, but when I compare it to the GN, it's a dream.

I used the GN for a month, so I figured I put it through the paces. But no thanks, I'll use it if my Bold dies and I'm not eligible for upgrade yet.
    01-30-12 02:02 PM
    Neither, Razr Max S.
    End thread.

Your irrelevant suggestion doesn't interest me.
    01-30-12 03:43 PM
    Thanks for the very informative reply

So basically the bold's battery isn't as bad as most think? Hmmmm... sometimes it's not always the bling that counts isn't it? haha
    01-30-12 03:49 PM
    Can you describe your usage on the bold 9900 please? As of now I'm rooting for the galaxy nexus. The bold 9900 and the nexus almost bear the same price tag but with the nexus you get pretty much twice everything, twice the power, twice screen size and stuffs...

thing is, there's no ultra awesome keyboard T_T
    Im a business man. The calls I make are part of what I do for a living. The texts and emails are the finer points of the phone, without the ease and speed of the keyboard and the reliability of push email my edge would be off by a lot. Clarity of calls coming in and going out are another factor, the Blackberry is very clear, my wifes X2 sounds muddy by comparison. I can tell when someone is calling me on a Blackberry, it sounds better, clearer. My apps collection is minimal, GPS, maps, camera in a pinch as I carry a separate camera with serious zoom capabilities, Skype for my offshore contacts, Google chat for my Google contacts. I dont have much time for games so the games I have are brainless and quick, Pixilated, Brickbreaker and such.
    I might not even have a smart phone if not for my job, but for my job, for now, the BB is everything I could ask for.
    01-30-12 03:57 PM
    We're pretty much on the same boat here. When I received my Bold 9780, the first thing I did was delete all the games.

If the phone lasts you a day without any problems despite the moderate usage I can't think of any reason as to why I would avoid the 9900. Thank you so much.
    01-30-12 05:02 PM
    I have the Galaxy Nexus, I just traded up from a 9900.

There's just no comparison. Not only does the battery last longer it's just 100x better. Especially with the 720P Super AMOLED display.

My calls are clear and I sound clear. Call handling is great. Speakerphone is not NEARLY as strong as it was on the 9900 though.

Undervolting it on a custom rom (Manhattan rom) has increased my battery life so much, it easily surpasses the 9900 with push email on from Gmail (naturally) and my Live account.
    01-30-12 05:49 PM
    I am in the same type of dilemma. Either thinking on the 9900 or the Samsung Galaxy 2 as Tmobile hasnt had many new phones come out and probably wont till Spring time.....and have the itch to upgrade soon.

What I miss most about my BB's are like you the keyboard! It is hands down the best and the 9900 is a dream!

Battery is very subjective, because no one person really uses their phone the same as the next. Maybe close to a point, but I would take the battery threads and what not with a grain of salt. Really wont know, till you use it for a few days.

Only thing that really scares me is the bricking issue, as it may be small in comparison in how these are sold worldwide and CB is just a small % of the community, but really seems blown up as it is everywhere.

Have a few weeks to decide. Since Tmobile is offering free hotspot with 7.1 update, then I may take the 9900.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 07:08 PM
    I had a curve 3g before I got my 9930 and this BB is much better in ALL ways. I think I am an heavyweight user - off the charger at 8am,check emails, twitter for 15 minutes and respond to any bbm or texts I got during the night. My office is in a basement so signal is weak which drains the battery faster. I also only have wifi at home, so I turn wifi off when I leave my house. During work I check twitter avg 1/2 hour intervals, I usually bbm and text all day too. I use the phone for calls on avg 25 min at work. I also take some pics of my sleeping coworker.
    By 5PM the battery is under 35% so I just swap out the battery. At home I have wifi so I keep iheartradio, Pandora, or BB music streaming for a couple hours at a time. Keep messaging throughout and browse online over an hour. Sometimes I use the phone for over an hour. By 1am the battery is 35% so I recharge both batteries. I can't imagine someone can use their BB as heavily as me and get better battery life.
    01-31-12 12:43 AM
    +1 for 9900, you get the Nexus you may as well buy a tablet.

Display is nice, but when i have to keep it in my shirt pocket like a pocket protector, its just too big. HAHA
    01-31-12 07:31 AM
    As someone who has extensively used Android and BlackBerry, I can tell you that coming from a Galaxy S, I love my 9900. As a messaging device, it's simply amazing. The keyboard is great, and the way everything integrates in one inbox are the big sellers for me.

As far as battery goes, I don't know what the battery life is like on the G Nexus, but I can tell you that the 9900 is far better battery wise than my Galaxy S (1500 mAh battery). The 9900, however, doesn't beat the Galaxy S with a 3500 mAh battery (can't get a quality extended battery for the 9900).

Appwise, if it's games and multi media stuff you want, go with the Nexus. I don't really play games on phones (even when I had an iPhone or Android). My BlackBerry currently has Brick Breaker, Word Mole, Bejewled, and Solitaire. I need nothing else. If it's app-OS integration you're looking for BlackBerry is the way to go. When you install an app on a BlackBerry it just melts into the OS as if it were included (especially messaging apps). The only thing Android has on BB in this department is their system-wide sharing feature.

Another note to be made on the App front is that Android has a lot more apps to use your phone as a computer or tablet replacement (FTP for example).

Ice Cream Sandwich is a really nice OS, but at this point Google's pretty much just competing with Apple. That being said, I think ICS has surpassed iOS on many fronts, but BBOS is over in the corner away from the other 3 (iOS, Android, WP7) doing everything the other platforms do. BlackBerry has had all the features Android and iOS have been slowly adding to their platforms since launch, and that's a big thing I like about BBOS... it's the older wiser sibling of all the others.

After thought: the text wrapping in the Android browser is slightly better than the BB.

EDIT: my usage is usually, lots of SMS, a bunch of facebook chats, a good amount of facebook / twitter reading, some music playback / streaming, and far too much web browsing (biggest battery killer). I almost always get though my day on a full charge. If I don't have much to do and I get stuck on reddit, my battery life suffers. I've also never had any hardware issues. My guess is that RIM quietly fixed the bricking issue and is just going to let people warranty exchange the older units that do die.
    Last edited by Benjamindaines; 01-31-12 at 05:27 PM.
    01-31-12 05:21 PM
    It isn't an easy choice in my opinion. I switch between both, and within a day or two I'm pining for the other phone. The grass is always greener...

Battery on life for both are comparable for my use. But I guess my 9930 is technically better on battery life since it only has a 1230 mAh vs. my Nexus' 2100 mAh extended battery. I do have the LTE Galaxy Nexus, but I'm not in a LTE area.

While I don't use a whole lot of apps on either phone, the main ones I do use are available on both platforms (Facebook, Tapatalk, Twitter, Evernote). The one app I miss a LOT while using my Bold is Google+. I really hope RIM has something in the works for BlackBerry on the Google+ front.

The typing experience on the Galaxy Nexus isn't bad. I use the stock keyboard as I am most comfortable with it. But there is simply no comparison with the Bold. I'll fly on it some days, and others I can't seem to type my own name.

I can't say which one I'd choose if I only could have one. I bought my Bold back in September because I was tired of Android (on my Droid Incredible 2) and always changing roms, and I was aching to use a BlackBerry again (last one I had was a Storm2 in 2010).
    I bought the Galaxy Nexus on launch day (after telling myself I wouldn't when it was announced in October). Ice Cream Sandwhich is the first iteration of Android I've used that I am happy with completely stock. I do rom my Nexus, but if I couldn't I'd be content.

When I feel like carrying around an awesome multimedia device, I use my Nexus. When I know I'll be messaging, and/or talking on the phone a lot, I grab the Bold.
    At this point all I have to do is convince my wife I actually need two lines so I can carry both at the same time. -=P

Sent from my Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-31-12 08:29 PM
    i currently use GSM RAZR and a 9900. the bold is too small a screen to read, but its like 20 times more productive than a touchscreen phone. had nokia 950/galaxy note/sgs2 and so forth, have tried it all. nowadays i use the RAZR for reading news only, not much else. i don't think any big screen android can beat 2.8" screen bold on battery life, with such a constant connection to the network/3g.
    01-31-12 10:43 PM
    I'll be letting go of my aging 9780 within this week and currently deciding which phone to get. From what I've heard, the Bold 9900's battery life is ridiculous.

The Bold 9780 is my first blackberry experience and I love everything about it (except the lags and random reboot+overheat thing) the keyboard on blackberries' TO DIE FOR, no doubt about it. Also, the 9780's battery life is just... wonderful, but it's getting really old.

I'm having a really hard time choosing either the gnexus or the 9900.

The galaxy nexus seems to have a pretty decent battery life and no major issues that can't be resolved by software updates but it's a touch screen device, albeit pretty big, touch screen typing has a learning curve (for me) but the OS is VERY zippy, not to mention the fast updates and APPS.

The bold 9900 on the other, the keyboard's a dream to use as said by many, the 9780's keyboard's pretty small but i can pretty much type on this thing as fast as I can on my laptop. Screen's also said to be amazing and it looks really, really good with the premium look and stuffs. Thing is...

Bold 9900 has a lot of issues, bricking, battery life...

Help me make a decision please?

I burn through about 100-150 texts, 20-30 e-mails and about 10-20 short phone calls per day. I dont play games or surf the web or watch movies and right now I get about 16-18 hours between charges. Also not sure if the Nexus has this feature but the latest update from t-mobile OS v7.1.0.190 has enabled Wi-fi or UMA calling on the 9900. Thats going to be a very handy feature for me so I will let you know how that affects my battery life. I came back to BB from an Iphone 4 and personally I have not missed the I-phone for one second. That is just my experience however, .... and your mileage may vary.
    02-01-12 01:45 AM
    now with the blackberry london,there are 3 viable options if one is considering an all touch smartphone with superior specifications.they are blackberry london,iphone 5,galaxy nexus(which could change because samsung never has 1 flagship device for long).as a customer,it comes down to your needs.but blackberry london is a viable option if you are not into the iphone craze.android is not for everyone.so the london is a positive sign for rim.it puts them back in the tech department with apple and google.
    02-01-12 02:44 AM
    If you want a keyboard with your device and the secured Blackberry services then get the Bold 9900, nexus is good but it depends on what you want... best thing is to test them both with things you will use at most.
    02-01-12 02:56 AM
    Thanks guys for replying, I've played with the galaxy Nexus a few days ago, and I'm pretty frggin' impressed with it. The battery life was actually pretty good given that I rarely use 3G and 4G in our area. 2G life is actually very impressive (2 days max) I'm not much of a gamer really so it can easily last me that long.

I would really love to get the Bold 9900 but given that RIM is bound to release their new QNX-based device(s) within the next few months. I'M NOT GOING TO BUY A FLAGSHIP PHONE THAT'LL BE FLAGSHIP-NO-MORE IN A FEW DAYS TIME.

Sigh, I really love the keyboard and ease of use on the 9900 though, if only RIM could give me proof that the 9900 will receive a QNX update of some sort.
    02-20-12 05:25 AM
    Thanks guys for replying, I've played with the galaxy Nexus a few days ago, and I'm pretty frggin' impressed with it. The battery life was actually pretty good given that I rarely use 3G and 4G in our area. 2G life is actually very impressive (2 days max) I'm not much of a gamer really so it can easily last me that long.

I would really love to get the Bold 9900 but given that RIM is bound to release their new QNX-based device(s) within the next few months. I'M NOT GOING TO BUY A FLAGSHIP PHONE THAT'LL BE FLAGSHIP-NO-MORE IN A FEW DAYS TIME.

Sigh, I really love the keyboard and ease of use on the 9900 though, if only RIM could give me proof that the 9900 will receive a QNX update of some sort.
    Good choice! The Nexus is hands down the best phone I've ever owned! The developer scene is off the hook on this phone. There are at least 100 developers or more currently developing for this phone and the phone is only two months old! Unbelievable. I've never enjoyed a phone this much before!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    02-20-12 07:02 AM
    Each device has its own niche. For me the blackberry is far superior for business use and email IMO. I have had several android devices and none of them notified me every time I had an email. Granted android is a great device but a blackberry is a workhorse. Also I have noticed that reception on a blackberry is much better than any other device I have owned.

02-20-12 07:23 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD