I'll be letting go of my aging 9780 within this week and currently deciding which phone to get. From what I've heard, the Bold 9900's battery life is ridiculous.

The Bold 9780 is my first blackberry experience and I love everything about it (except the lags and random reboot+overheat thing) the keyboard on blackberries' TO DIE FOR, no doubt about it. Also, the 9780's battery life is just... wonderful, but it's getting really old.

I'm having a really hard time choosing either the gnexus or the 9900.

The galaxy nexus seems to have a pretty decent battery life and no major issues that can't be resolved by software updates but it's a touch screen device, albeit pretty big, touch screen typing has a learning curve (for me) but the OS is VERY zippy, not to mention the fast updates and APPS.

The bold 9900 on the other, the keyboard's a dream to use as said by many, the 9780's keyboard's pretty small but i can pretty much type on this thing as fast as I can on my laptop. Screen's also said to be amazing and it looks really, really good with the premium look and stuffs. Thing is...

Bold 9900 has a lot of issues, bricking, battery life...

Help me make a decision please?
    Last edited by kevin_G; 01-30-12 at 08:33 AM.
    01-30-12 08:30 AM
    I pull my BB off the charger at 5:00 AM and plug it back in at 9:00 PM without charging in between. I have heavy email usage - occasional IM/BBM - occasional Pandora streaming. Never any issues. I also believe the bricking issue is occurring with a minority of phones.

I have no experience with the Nexus so I have no idea. My previous experience with android was bad (Droid 2).

What will you be using it for?
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 08:38 AM
    Something to keep in mind is that the people complaining about poor battery life are ones coming off older BlackBerry's where they could easily get 2-3 days on a charge. IMO the 9900 is on-par with current smartphones. I can easily get 24hrs with moderate usage (which from what I've read is actually better than the Nexus).

As for "bricking", while it does exist, the forums have blown the issue completely out of proportion. The number of bad units is insignificantly low. Worst case, if you are buying from you carrier you should be covered by the warranty should anything happen.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 08:47 AM
    no problems what so ever, and i'm a heavy user... lots of calls, emails and msgs

if its apps (toys) you looking for maybe iphone / android is what you need

as a workstation on the go, BlackBerry suits my needs
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 09:07 AM
    I pull my BB off the charger at 5:00 AM and plug it back in at 9:00 PM without charging in between. I have heavy email usage - occasional IM/BBM - occasional Pandora streaming. Never any issues. I also believe the bricking issue is occurring with a minority of phones.

I have no experience with the Nexus so I have no idea. My previous experience with android was bad (Droid 2).

What will you be using it for?
    I'm a heavy BBM, YM, and Facebook chat user. Sometimes I rarely receive phone calls, close to a hundred or more SMS per day, about 5-6 emails per day, an hour of browsing and stuffs.

9900's battery life doesn't seem so bad after all does it?
    01-30-12 09:25 AM
    Something to keep in mind is that the people complaining about poor battery life are ones coming off older BlackBerry's where they could easily get 2-3 days on a charge. IMO the 9900 is on-par with current smartphones. I can easily get 24hrs with moderate usage (which from what I've read is actually better than the Nexus).

As for "bricking", while it does exist, the forums have blown the issue completely out of proportion. The number of bad units is insignificantly low. Worst case, if you are buying from you carrier you should be covered by the warranty should anything happen.
    I came from the 9780 and after selling it, I'm temporarily using a 9300, yeah the 9780's battery was a really impressive 2-3 days. 9300 not so much.

its true after all, with the 9900. if there's no pain, there's no gain.

01-30-12 09:29 AM
    From the 9700 to 9900, it is definitely an upgrade in almost all aspects except 2 (battery life and no-af function).

I still love the 9900 despite this two. As posted above, I also have no experience with the nexus but, at the very least, all I can say is that I am very happy with the 9900.

No problems so far also on my unit. Got it brand new from my carrier last December.

Good luck.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 09:33 AM
    I'm not much of an app person really, as long as I have uninterrupted access to Facebook, YM, Twitter, Google Maps, and BBM. I'm good. I previously owned a Galaxy S2 no thanks to impulse buying, after about a week I couldn't bear it. gave it to my mom.

I'm a pretty heavy user myself, I'm willing to sacrifice using the 9900 on 2G pretty much all the time for the sake of the keyboard, I wish it'll last me at least a day and a half... decisions, decisions...
    01-30-12 09:35 AM
    Oh yeah, the keyboard on the 9900 is just fantastic!
    01-30-12 09:39 AM
    How long does your battery last? your usage?
    01-30-12 09:48 AM
    I'm not much of an app person really, as long as I have uninterrupted access to Facebook, YM, Twitter, Google Maps, and BBM. I'm good. I previously owned a Galaxy S2 no thanks to impulse buying, after about a week I couldn't bear it. gave it to my mom.

I'm a pretty heavy user myself, I'm willing to sacrifice using the 9900 on 2G pretty much all the time for the sake of the keyboard, I wish it'll last me at least a day and a half... decisions, decisions...
    If you didn't like the S2, you probably won't like the Nexus.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-30-12 09:49 AM
    On 3G network light-moderate use 12-16 hours
    On 2G network light-moderate use 14-20 hours
    No wifi turn on

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-30-12 10:01 AM
    I have no problem with 9900s battery but inamnsure you will have with the Galaxy Nxus'
    01-30-12 10:11 AM
    Thanks for the reply, btw, by saying light to moderate use. What apps do you frequent and how many bbm/fb chats? (estimate)
    01-30-12 10:20 AM
    I have no problem with 9900s battery but inamnsure you will have with the Galaxy Nxus'
    I don't really know about your opinion, have you even tried using one?
    01-30-12 10:21 AM
    I haven't had the battery issues that some have had. I use my phone a lot, but I am very careful to exit/close apps I'm not using and I always put the phone in stand by when I'm done with it, just a habit now. My daughter has the Galaxy Nexus, as far as I can tell she likes it, the full screen, there are a few nice features.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 10:22 AM
    yeah no thanks to touchwiz. will try the nexus out this weekend. we'll see. also, the screens a bit bigger so typing must be a bit more convenient
    01-30-12 10:34 AM
    I haven't had the battery issues that some have had. I use my phone a lot, but I am very careful to exit/close apps I'm not using and I always put the phone in stand by when I'm done with it, just a habit now. My daughter has the Galaxy Nexus, as far as I can tell she likes it, the full screen, there are a few nice features.
    Can you describe your usage on the bold 9900 please? As of now I'm rooting for the galaxy nexus. The bold 9900 and the nexus almost bear the same price tag but with the nexus you get pretty much twice everything, twice the power, twice screen size and stuffs...

thing is, there's no ultra awesome keyboard T_T
    01-30-12 10:37 AM
    Get a 99xx and Playbook. You won't be disappointed.
    01-30-12 10:38 AM
    I own the 9930 and the Galaxy Nexus. Used the Nexus for a month and am back to my bold. Even with low usage, the GN battery needed charging after a work day. Even turning it off 4g didn't give me much more battery life. I made a lot of typos on my GN. Emails and text messaging weren't that fun. I have the GN back in the box and in a drawer. Missed everything about the 9930.
    01-30-12 11:02 AM
    I have the 9900, and my minimum battery requirement is to be able to charge while I'm asleep and not have to charge again during the day or evening. That means I need 16 to 18 hours of uptime per charge, or an average drain rate no worse than 5.5%/hour--say 5% to err on the side of caution.

I'm getting 3-4%/hour with my usage patterns. These are: Typically a few short phone calls per day. 50 or more emails. An hour or so listening to podcasts or Audible books. Checking RSS news in Go Reader every hour or so. A dozen or so SMS or Kik messages. Intermittent use of browser to check CB and other web forums, occasionally posting messages. A podcast or two downloaded via Wifi. An hour or so of Kindle reading.

I'm usually in a good reception area, except in my office.
    01-30-12 12:37 PM
    Get a 99xx and Playbook. You won't be disappointed.
    I've thought about that, now that the playbook's price has dropped significantly... I'm considering a playbook despite people's negativity towards it.
    01-30-12 12:39 PM
    I own the 9930 and the Galaxy Nexus. Used the Nexus for a month and am back to my bold. Even with low usage, the GN battery needed charging after a work day. Even turning it off 4g didn't give me much more battery life. I made a lot of typos on my GN. Emails and text messaging weren't that fun. I have the GN back in the box and in a drawer. Missed everything about the 9930.
    Really? Oh my. Yes indeed the keyboard's really something. How's the battery life on your bold? can you describe your usage?
    01-30-12 12:40 PM
    The battery life isn't that bad as some people complain about. I think I can use it probably a day and a half with out having to charge it. I get moderate usage out it (bbm,emails,web browsing). I'm thinking about picking a playbook. I want to see how it pairs up with my 9930.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 01:01 PM
    I have a 9930 and just left a Razr. I will be honest and say that I do like the way Android does certain things but I also like the way BB does some things. I am going to try a Nexus as well - and just like you say, the total touch screen is new for me. After a few days with the Razr, I found myself getting better but the Razr was just a tad bit wide for my liking and the lack of accessories (cases and such) was tough.

I've read posts in this thread where users claim such wonderful battery life. I am throwing the bs flag now - there is no way they use the device in which they claim and get the battery life they claim. I have nothing running except BeWeather and it updates every 30 minutes - I pulled my phone off at 6am and 6 hours later I'm at 70% with only a handful of email and BBM's. If users are getting hundreds of email and streaming Pandora, BBM, FB, etc, no way they get 16-18 hours on a charge.

Just search this forum for the battery life threads.
    Last edited by ibcop; 01-30-12 at 01:33 PM.
    kevin_G likes this.
    01-30-12 01:24 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD