Hi,

I'm completely a rookie when it comes to Blackberry's products . I'm about to buy a new Blackberry Bold 9900/9930, but I have some questions though. First of all I'm not US citizen, I'm here for vacation only. The price of Blackberry drew my attention here, it's a lot cheaper than it's in Poland .

Now, Verizon and Sprint are offering unlocked phone, but will the device work in Europe? I know that 9930 is a CDMA, but is it going to work with GSM network ?
    Is it a 4G phone ? I've noticed that T-Mobile will be selling 4G version, what about Verizon or Sprint ? If my carrier provides a 4G network, will the phone from Sprint work in 4G ? Is there a difference between Verizon's phone and Sprint's one ? If so, which one should I choose ?

And how can install polish language ?

I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions, but I want to be sure that I'm buying a phone that will work in my country. Thanks for any replies.
    08-26-11 02:42 AM
    Hi,

I'm completely a rookie when it comes to Blackberry's products . I'm about to buy a new Blackberry Bold 9900/9930, but I have some questions though. First of all I'm not US citizen, I'm here for vacation only. The price of Blackberry drew my attention here, it's a lot cheaper than it's in Poland .

Now, Verizon and Sprint are offering unlocked phone, but will the device work in Europe? I know that 9930 is a CDMA, but is it going to work with GSM network ?
    Is it a 4G phone ? I've noticed that T-Mobile will be selling 4G version, what about Verizon or Sprint ? If my carrier provides a 4G network, will the phone from Sprint work in 4G ? Is there a difference between Verizon's phone and Sprint's one ? If so, which one should I choose ?

And how can install polish language ?

I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions, but I want to be sure that I'm buying a phone that will work in my country. Thanks for any replies.
    Polish language you can get setting the phone up, or through blackberry's website I assume.

I pretty sure all of them are global enabled?So they should both work...but I think best bet would ask at the store too? Sprint and Verizon both use the same version(9930) I believe, and both don't use LTE(Verizon's 4G setting).

If I remember right my old coworker used his verizon BB in poland(He was Polish, and went back there since he owned property for vacations and such)
    08-26-11 03:09 AM
    1. They will work IF they are unlocked and you set it to Global Network (GSM). You can purchase the unlock code on-line for a few dollars.
    2. Language can be selected at Setup and Polish is included.
    3. It is a 3G device, not 4G
    4. Your local provider (SIM) will need to have BB data plans or you won't have BIS.
    5. They aren't cheap here if you buy without a 2yr plan so expect to pay around $545.00. If that's still cheaper than in Poland, then it might be worth it.
    08-26-11 06:44 AM
    yes as mentioned above you will have to buy an unlock code online form one of the many sites that sell them. I believe even the full price of $545 is still much cheaper than in the rest of the world. i think that polish should already be on the phone, if it isnt you can install an OS from a european carrier and then it should have it.
    08-26-11 06:51 AM
    Thank You .

However, I have few questions left.
    I went to Verizon today and they told me that I can not buy just a phone for retail price with no ties with their company, that I will have to pay at least activation fee, what's not an option for me right now.
    After that I decided to go to Sprint and I was told that their retail phone (499$) is not unlocked and I have to purchase a unlock code in order to use it in Europe. Is that true ? Only code for few bucks will do the trick and then no ties with american carrier ? (just a logo on the phone ) Sorry for silly questions but I want to be sure that I'll buy device that will work actually .

Any help will be much appreciated I want to be a part of Blackberry family .
    08-27-11 07:25 PM
    a) I am aware of that .
    b) & c) As long as it is not in a sealed original package they can't do anything and that's what I'm going to do, put it in my pocket, that's it .

Is the unlock code valid only for one SIM card or will it unlock phone for every SIM card ? My contract in Poland expires in late October and I'm changing the carrier, so when I recieve a new, will phone work with it or do I have to buy another code ?
    08-27-11 08:48 PM
    once the phone is unlocked it will work on any gsm carrier with a sim....it does not need to be unlocked every time you change the sim.
    08-27-11 09:23 PM
    And last few questions before the purchase.
    I don't have international roaming. If I buy 9930 from Sprint, will I be able to unlock the phone or do something with it without signal from my carrier til I get back to Poland ? Thanks a lot.
    09-01-11 06:32 PM
    U've been given excellent advice. However, I'd recomment that u buy a gsm version (like offered by t-mobile & at&t). Although d cdma versions r world phones and would work on gsm networks, sometimes there are lil negligible issues like when checking ur account balance for a prepaid network using the '*' 'number' and '#' combination (those in europe, africa & some other regions) would understand this. So, unless there's a remarkable price difference in price btw d gsm (t-mobile, at&t) & cdma (sprint, verizon) version, just go 4 d gsm version... Just my 2 cents. And any pointers on where (preferably online) 2 get d gsm versions @ a good price wd be appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 07:25 PM
    It's 100$ difference between 9900 and 9930 :/.

So with 9930 I won't have trouble with recieving 3G network ? .
    Never been a good with electronics, sorry
    09-03-11 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD