I have been stuck with the Bold 9700 for over a year now and am ready for a change. I have heard there are even better Blackberry's in the works but who knows how long that will take.

Should I pay the $500 for the Bold 9900 or should I wait for something better?

Any thoughts?
    10-27-11 03:17 AM
    There will ALWAYS be something better. The iPhone 4S is the perfect example. It's been on sale for so short, and there are already people who are hyped for the next one. I suppose through that logic you could never buy one and just keep waiting for the next good phone to come out. Regardless, it's just a phone. If it does what you need it to do, and you'll like it, then get it. The 9900 is a fine phone . I also have the Samsung Galaxy S II, which is a fantastic phone, too. I've also had the iPhone 4... which is really tiny I suppose. It depends on your needs. I use the BB because, even though it has a smaller screen, the keyboard is a godsend.

Is there a better BB in the making? Yes. I don't know when we'll see it. But the 9900 is a great phone. If you like the form factor, and the BB OS, then this is the best BB out there (unless you like full touch screens, then go to the BB Touch Screen phones).

I wouldn't pay 500 to replace my SGSII. I got it for 300 plus another 90 off, so I got it cheap. I think for the unlocked price it's rather expensive (in my honest opinion). But like I said, take a look at it, if you like it and think it's worth your money, then go for it! It's just a phone Not a new car that costs thousands upon thousands.
    10-27-11 03:29 AM
    Just go and use the keyboard for a little bit... You'll have your answer after that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-27-11 03:33 AM
    I had a BB a year ago, then I lost it and replaced it with an iphone. Recently replaced the iphone with the 9900... personally I think it was an awesome decision on my behalf. Definitely yes
    10-27-11 03:45 AM
    The 9900 is the best blackberry ever. Worth every penny imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-11 05:37 AM
    Yes, get it. Its awesome.

10-27-11 06:41 AM
    your pretty much playing "cat & mouse" games when it comes to phones..

BUT RIM! don't really release a phone back to back like HTC and other companies do.

You can wait for qnx but i won't hold my breath.. it won't be out anytime soon if they couldn't even "demo" it at devcon. It will probably be release mid 2012 or so. 2qt first 2 months maybe

its also something new and better then what you have now coming out. but regardless if you get the 9900 you sitting on top of the food chain if you get it. its not a slow or whack device its pretty up there with the others.

i say get it, n make sure you have a full refund return where ever you get it from if you don't like it.. then take that money, save it or buy something else with it.
    10-27-11 06:51 AM
    As much as I love my 9900, if you're a hardware spec geek, take another phone and wait for the QNX, especially if you don't plan to get the playbook. I got mine subsidized with my HUP and the PB came a pretty good time with the discounts.

Depends on your circumstances OP!
    10-27-11 06:58 AM
    Coming from a 9700, you would be pleasantly surprised at how awesome this phone is! I love it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-27-11 07:21 AM
    Coming from a 9700, you would be pleasantly surprised at how awesome this phone is! I love it!

So true!!
    I've owned 9700 and 9780, and now this 9900.. Let me tell you that I'm in no hurry to jump to QNX phone when it comes out.. This phone is for sure will keep me happy for at least a year and more.. lol

10-27-11 08:43 AM
    This is technology we're talking about, the second you buy any phone it will usually already be outdated by something else. If you like the BB form factor, go for the Bold! Haven't had the pleasure of owning one yet but it really is a fantastic device.
    10-27-11 08:57 AM
    OP considering that it would take long for a bbx(qnx) bold phone to come out
    It would be best if you get the 9900 coming from 9700 it would be a Big upgrade

10-27-11 10:02 AM
    The 9900 is the best blackberry ever released IMHO. That's why I jumped ship from android. I like the touch screen plus the amazing keyboard. It really is a great device that I believe is worth every single penny.

10-27-11 10:53 AM
    I love my 9900! so glad I got it.. I do plan to jump on the BBX bandwagon too, but as far as we know right now the first model out is touch only.. and that's not for me.. I love my playbook but I hate typing on it..

/tangent:

in fact someone should really come out with an app that lets you type on your playbook using your blackberry as a Bluetooth keyboard!!!

/end tangent

Back to the phones, I can't count how often i've tried to wake up my 9900 by swiping acrros the screen, so yes.. as soon as there's a QNX Bold.. i'm in.. but for now, glad I picked up a 9900.
    bog131 likes this.
    10-27-11 11:02 AM
    I purchased a 9850 because I was OK with the full touch experience but I can confidently state the following.

* OS7 is a HUGE upgrade from OS5 and even from OS6.

* Don't flame me about this one, I'm just stating this based on what we have experienced (I do own a PlayBook). The BBX OS, when it comes out on a phone, will NOT have everything that OS7 has now and certainly will have more than one thing missing that you will WANT or NEED.

* The current high end BB devices are really nice and, mostly, fluid with very little hourglassing, etc. I've seen some issues noted here and I can say that my experience has been flawless with my new phone.

* If you need a keyboard and are used to the BlackBerry experience the upgrade to the 9900 will make you happy, I'm sure.

* If you decide to move away from BlackBerry there will be things you will miss though there may be things you like about whatever you choose. You have to decide what's important to you.
    Last edited by danp2000; 10-27-11 at 12:11 PM.
    10-27-11 12:09 PM
    Go to kijiji and get the phone cheaper

10-27-11 01:18 PM
    Coming from Torch 9800, the first experience was the 9900 is to wide for me, so after 4 days of using this device I made up my mind to go back to the Torch form factor.

I ordered 2 9810 one for me and one for my girlfriend, after two weeks we got our 9810s and as soon as I open the box I setup my 9810's setting and the keyboard experience became weird for me!

I felt the my 9810s keyboard was sturdy and a bit hard to press, I took my girlfriends 9810 and type a few words and I felt the same, took my old 9800 and again the feeling felt weird.

From that very moment, I fell in love with 9900s keyboard, it's jkust perfect, not to soft that you might accidentally press keys and not to sturdy. The size is just perfect for average thumbs like mine.

So if you're more on of a type person, I would suggest go with the 9900 but if you prefer mix entertainment go with 9810. Or if you prefer full touch screen... Nevermind....

10-27-11 01:50 PM
    Just to add to the discussion here, I recently upgraded from a 9700 to 9780 (previously had a 9000 and 8800), and I can personally say the switch is worth it.

The keyboard is a significant upgrade even over the 9000, and the screen, though just slightly bigger, is noticable once you try the 9900 and go back. The battery life is of some concern (nowhere as long as the 9780), but can get through a day. Touch screen makes some things WAY easier to click (for some app interfaces, it makes much less sense to scroll than to simply click on it).

The phone is noticably quicker and the build quality is excellent. I love the metal frame (kinda like the iPhone 4) that the 9900 has. No longer does the Blackberry have that plastic-y feel. It looks like a premium device, and feels like a premium device.

I would personally say it's worth seliing your 9700 and picking a 9900 up instead. If you're particularly concerned about your cost/benefit ratio (say that's your highest priority), to those people, I'd say stick with the 9700. But if you enjoy BlackBerry products, I'd say go for it.

rcheung135 likes this.
    10-27-11 07:56 PM
    wow great replies, i do think im going to get the 9900 but i wont spend more than $350 for it. I sold my 9700 on ebay for $200
    10-28-11 12:14 AM
    You guys are lucky the Bold 9900 gets discounted pretty heavily. In my country here the Bold 9900 is sold at the same price point as the iPhone 4S for the same monthly bill contract. If it were cheaper I would have got one just for the keyboard alone, but at that price point I simply can't justify pulling the trigger for one
    10-28-11 12:56 AM
    About $700 unlocked for a Bold 9900 here in Indonesia. I too wish we had carrier subsidies.

So for now still rocking my Bold 9000.

10-28-11 03:22 AM
    Here in Portugal, I paid the equivalent of 1000$ for my 9900 (I must say I have lo laugh when I see the US prices, especially for cars, even European makes. They are SO cheap!). This is my fourth BlackBerry and I find the combination of the keyboard, touchscreen, trackpad and menus absolutely amazing. One has so many different possibilities to access a task, it is mindboggling. And that keyboard is simply magnificent to use!
    10-28-11 11:06 AM
    Here in Portugal, I paid the equivalent of 1000$ for my 9900 (I must say I have lo laugh when I see the US prices, especially for cars, even European makes. They are SO cheap!). This is my fourth BlackBerry and I find the combination of the keyboard, touchscreen, trackpad and menus absolutely amazing. One has so many different possibilities to access a task, it is mindboggling. And that keyboard is simply magnificent to use!

Choke.. did you say $1000?

Wow.. I got mine for free... and sold my 9800 for 400 dollars.. so I came out ahead on the deal.

Why wouldn't you just get one unlocked on ebay? ****.. paypal me 750 and I'll pick one up, unlock it and get it in the mail ASAP!
    Last edited by just_luc; 11-03-11 at 04:04 PM.
    11-03-11 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD