After being told a few days ago by local FS that the new Berries were delayed several months...... now they suddenly have them in stock today. Guy tells me he can't sell them for 2 more days. Then he puts me on hold and checks with someone else, and says yes he can sell me one, but ONLY if I sign for a 3yr contract. WTF? Is this normal? Has anyone been able to just buy a Bold outright without a contract? Looking for Rogers phone.
    08-10-11 04:28 PM
    Not quite sure how it works but I'm guessing they COULD but they don't want to because they get nothing from the carriers by just selling the handset, they only receive compensation through commitments.

Are you not able to just go to a Rogers store and pick one up or are there none in stock around your area?
    08-10-11 04:39 PM
    It will vary by store. There are two Rogers Plus stores in the Eaton's Centre (Toronto) and the large store said "We are not supposed to" which was interpreted as Uhmmm we can't. Went to the Kiosk, he sold me four. Only caveat is that Rogers sells their unsibs locked to their network, whereas Bell does not. Bell also offers off contract but will give you a free SIM with a number and register you as a "Pay as You Go" customer. So either way, it's all good.
    08-10-11 04:44 PM
    After being told a few days ago by local FS that the new Berries were delayed several months...... now they suddenly have them in stock today. Guy tells me he can't sell them for 2 more days. Then he puts me on hold and checks with someone else, and says yes he can sell me one, but ONLY if I sign for a 3yr contract. WTF? Is this normal? Has anyone been able to just buy a Bold outright without a contract? Looking for Rogers phone.
    i went to a rogers store and bought on for 549.99 and taxes. i also phoned rogers and asked if i could go into a store and buy on off-contract and was told yes
    08-10-11 04:44 PM
    Carrier stores don't have a problem, or at least I don't think they do because a lot of consumers buy off contract all the time because they either lose their phone or something breaks (and they blame the carrier...lol). Electronic stores like FS and BB have the problem.
    08-10-11 04:54 PM
    True, but Battery Plus stores are selling the 9900 OC for 649.99, and they will unlock on site..lol
    08-10-11 05:31 PM
    I walked in to a Future Shop yesterday and tried to buy a 9900 for Rogers outright and they said yes. I had my credit card out and everything and then they told me to come back tomorrow (now today) because there was a street date in the system and that they couldnt sell it before then. I went there this morning at 11 AM, layout out 549 + taxes and left with a Bold!

So, the guy at Future Shop is dicking you around.
    08-10-11 05:56 PM
    Last year I bought the Torch from Telus at Future Shop and I had to sign a 3 year contract. I couldn't buy it outright. I think it's normal.
    08-10-11 07:03 PM
    depends on the store but i believe FS policy is only on a contract which whatever... they lost my sale yesterday because of it... ill order it online, phone or go to a rogers store... FS is a POS anyways
    08-10-11 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD