Hello...

I love the large Torch screen, I have one now. I use it for work and for fun, I like taking pictures on the big screen horizontally, watching videos, etc. I don't really like the fact that I'm sliding the screen out almost 90% of the time for typing, but I do like the fact that I can see more of what I'm typing or reading on the larger screen.

I'm confused. I'm looking forward to getting either a Bold Touch or a Torch 2 when they come out, here are a few things that hold me back on both phones:

Dakota:

Smaller screen, pictures taken vertically only, less to see, smaller icons, etc. Also, it kinda looks like an older 9000, the back looks kinda outdated to me for some reason, it might get confused with a Curve or something?

I like the bigger keyboard though...

Torch:

Slider design durability... how long before it gets wobbly and loose? What if dirt gets on the mechanism, scratches the black metal back panel, makes the slider slower or scratchy... etc. I own a Torch now, only for a few weeks, but I wonder if anybody has more experience on it based on a more extended use...

Any ideas?
    03-06-11 10:17 AM
    I am having the same struggle as you do but come to think about it. It is really not necessary to think about it now since neither has come out yet.
    03-06-11 10:25 AM
    Hello...
    Also, it kinda looks like an older 9000, the back looks kinda outdated to me for some reason, it might get confused with a Curve or something?
    Who are you trying to impress?

Realistically, you should look at use and functionality. I don't know anyone that gets a blackberry for the sole reason that they are flawless in design; more for the features it has to offer.

Anyways, in regards to your question about the Torch; I've had it since it first came out and I have no problems with it in regards to dirt or anything else getting into the sliding mechanism. I do however have an issue with having to slide it open EVERY TIME I type on the phone. I love the larger screen for video/web browsing but to be honest, I think I'm going to have to sacrifice it once the Dakota comes out. The original Bold had by far, the best BB keyboard available to date.
    Best of luck!
    03-20-11 06:01 AM
    i have the Torch as well, got it Aug 12, 2010 ( Launch Day) and i will be upgrading to a Bold Touch when it comes out.
    03-20-11 09:42 AM
    I'm looking the same way. Have had the Torch since release day but I'm really loving the idea of having a full functionable keyboard again. I'm gonna pair it up with the PlayBook for those times I want a larger touch and video screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 07:17 PM
    I understand your thought process, I have given the subject a passing thought. I have enjoyed certain aspects of the Torch, but if the keyboard, speakers and solid build of the 9000 transfers to this device, it will be an easy decision to buy it. I do think I may miss the screen real estate, but also think this device paired with the PlayBook is gonna be the S#!t.
    03-26-11 12:25 PM
    I think the answer is what is more important to you, screen size or the keyboard.
    03-26-11 12:50 PM
    I think the answer is what is more important to you, screen size or the keyboard.
    How about both?

By the way, I thought the screen size of both devices are exact to be same as each other. At least, that's what I got when I compared them and the result was same.
    03-26-11 03:37 PM
    Will this phone have every feature the torch has with exception of the bigger screen? I got Torch a few weeks ago and I LOVE it but I think I might like this new one even better since I never use oniscreen keyboard. I use the trackball to death and occasionally touch the screen. If everything else is the same or better, it would be nice not to have to slide as well as the keyboard being easier based on what I'm reading. One thing that is very important to me is the zoom/wrap text feature. I found that by accident and I was amazed!

03-26-11 03:46 PM
    How about both?

By the way, I thought the screen size of both devices are exact to be same as each other. At least, that's what I got when I compared them and the result was same.
    Not sure about torch 2 but torch screen is 3.18 and dakota is 2.8
    03-26-11 05:44 PM
    How about both?

Both screens will have the same resolution (640x480), but the Bold Touch's will be physically smaller. Torch 2 is showing at 3.2" and Bold Touch at 2.8".
    03-26-11 11:06 PM
    Will this phone have every feature the torch has with exception of the bigger screen? I got Torch a few weeks ago and I LOVE it but I think I might like this new one even better since I never use oniscreen keyboard. I use the trackball to death and occasionally touch the screen. If everything else is the same or better, it would be nice not to have to slide as well as the keyboard being easier based on what I'm reading. One thing that is very important to me is the zoom/wrap text feature. I found that by accident and I was amazed!
    We can't be sure that they will both have exactly the same features as we are only working from leaked info so far even if that does seem to indicate that they are pretty much similar hardware in different form factors, which is a good thing since it should minimise the gap between the various release dates.
    03-27-11 06:40 AM
    I completely agree with this statement. I'm still using a 9000 because I tried the torch for about a week and was constantly sliding the keyboard out and even then was slower typing on it based on the torch keyboard having the slightly raised edge. So I switched back and really wanted a Bold with OS6.

Then the 9780 was released (but not on at&t, and I didn't want to pay retail) so I waited for it to be released and it still hasn't nor do I think it will. Then the Dakota rumor started and I thought wow that's the phone I want. The size of the 9000 with OS6 and a touch screen. I'm happy that the rumors have at&t getting the Bold Touch, but I sure would like to see it acknowledged.

Ultimately, I think you could ask the question to a lot of people and get a lot of answers, you have to make the best decision for you. I see it as a do you surf the web/applications that don't need a keboard or do you communicate more and use the keyboard all the time.

03-27-11 08:09 AM
    I'm looking the same way. Have had the Torch since release day but I'm really loving the idea of having a full functionable keyboard again. I'm gonna pair it up with the PlayBook for those times I want a larger touch and video screen.

I had a torch since release date and love it. With that being said I recnetly sold it and bought a 9780. I made a $150 profit in the difference between what I sold the torch for and what I bought the 9780 for. My reason being once I have the p.b I'll have a big screen to enjoy.

03-27-11 08:25 AM
    Have the Torch and really like it. But I've realized that having a big screen is not all it's cracked up to be, although it is nice to have a touch interface.. I don't use the browser on it all that often, but I do use the keyboard all the time, so I figure for my next device I'll probably get the Bold touch as it better suits my use of a berry.
    03-27-11 10:56 PM
    If you work on your phone, i.e. do a lot of typing for work or for fun in texting, maybe the Touch... I text a lot and the Bold 9000 to me still has been the best phone out that has the best keyboard in my opinion. I use the keyboard more than anything and it helps to have faster productivity in a device. I will be getting the Bold Touch for that reason. Just another thing to think about.
    03-28-11 09:16 AM
    I like the bold style phone and am looking forward to the bold touch. I personally don't think i would use the touch screen but it seems people like the functionality the torch offers.

I think RIM know that some prefer not having to slide the screen up to access the keyboard thus the bold touch.

I guess i have to get on the bandwagon and accept the whole touch screen and physical keyboard jazz.
    03-28-11 09:44 AM
    definitely agree on the king 9000 having the best keyboard of all time. well ill just have to wait and see what plays out this summer because both these are possibilities for me and the apollo as well if i remain with blackberry.i also want to check out what the iphone 5 and new android devices bring to the table.
    03-29-11 12:10 AM
    The screen difference is not that large, around 15%. In exchange for that, you get a much better keyboard, hopefully better battery life (due to the slightly smaller screen and the design of a candybar form factor allowing a thicker battery than a slider), and the convenience of not having to use a slider.

03-29-11 06:45 AM
    The screen difference is not that large, around 15%. In exchange for that, you get a much better keyboard, hopefully better battery life (due to the slightly smaller screen and the design of a candybar form factor allowing a thicker battery than a slider), and the convenience of not having to use a slider.

Enough said!
    03-29-11 05:07 PM

As much as I love the Torch, this is exactly why I'm looking forward to the Bold Touch.

03-30-11 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD