After having the bold9930 for less than thirty days. Downloaded software twice, the third time is won't sync. Therefore the device is usless. Warning: The technicians have no way of fixing these devices. Verizon only has a 14 day return. Now Im left with a useless device until fed ex delivers a warranty phone. Beyond FRUSTRATED!!!
    09-11-11 03:28 PM
    What software, the OS?? Doesn't sound like a big deal......specifics?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sedalia066 likes this.
    09-11-11 03:59 PM
    After having the bold9930 for less than thirty days. Downloaded software twice, the third time is won't sync. Therefore the device is usless. Warning: The technicians have no way of fixing these devices. Verizon only has a 14 day return. Now Im left with a useless device until fed ex delivers a warranty phone. Beyond FRUSTRATED!!!
    As I recall, the 14-day return window is just for returning equipment that you don't like or want. They'll take it back anytime if there is a defect and swap it for another.

I agree with #pblakk too. It sounds like the OS is corrupted, and should be a simple fix.
    sedalia066 and snickdog like this.
    09-11-11 04:03 PM
    It is the OS alright. I had a replacement one do the same thing. I'm fed up!
    10-06-11 09:34 PM
    Its still under warranty dude. So they should swap it out. Bb has the best warranty ever. Vzw is better than AT&T btw

Blondie_leves likes this.
    10-06-11 11:09 PM
    They should have downloaded the OS onto the phone themselves, and if it still didn't work, they should have given you a new phone. Damm that Verizon...
    10-06-11 11:13 PM
    Sounds like Verizon is sending you a new phone. Not sure why you're complaining about them? If anything it would be RIM?
    10-06-11 11:17 PM
    Sounds like Verizon is sending you a new phone. Not sure why you're complaining about them? If anything it would be RIM?
    Right, I don't get what your complaint is either. You're being sent a new phone, they arrive in a day or two, if you absolutely CAN'T wait, they have to option of overnighting it, at your expense of course. Are you sure it's not just your service books?? Go into your email setup>menu>send service books. If this fixes it, you honestly need to look harder or search next time.

EDIT: Did you also go into HRT and register? Have you tried running diagnostic tests to see what IS connecting (syncing) properly and what isn't? Those tell you A LOT...
    10-06-11 11:21 PM
    I understand the OP's frustration. My wife is on her second BB 9930 for her phone getting the white screen/Java error. I have reinstalled the OS on her replacement phone twice now and think I have the software culprit identified: Foursquare. We haven't had the problem again since keeping this program off the phone. I don't currently own a BB (switched to Android over a year ago and haven't looked back) but I used to and my wife still likes them. Out of all the BB's she's owned and the ones I used to own, I've never experienced BB be so fickle about software programs before. It's absolutely BS that you have to reload the phone over one faulty application.

I don't think Verizon is to blame, but I do get frustrated that their quick fix is to just send out new phones. I hate that. It would be nice if RIM fixed the problem. According to Verizon rep, this Java error is beginning to be a widespread problem with the 9930.
    Blondie_leves likes this.
    10-06-11 11:39 PM
    I understand the OP's frustration. My wife is on her second BB 9930 for her phone getting the white screen/Java error. I have reinstalled the OS on her replacement phone twice now and think I have the software culprit identified: Foursquare. We haven't had the problem again since keeping this program off the phone. I don't currently own a BB (switched to Android over a year ago and haven't looked back) but I used to and my wife still likes them. Out of all the BB's she's owned and the ones I used to own, I've never experienced BB be so fickle about software programs before. It's absolutely BS that you have to reload the phone over one faulty application.

I don't think Verizon is to blame, but I do get frustrated that their quick fix is to just send out new phones. I hate that. It would be nice if RIM fixed the problem. According to Verizon rep, this Java error is beginning to be a widespread problem with the 9930.
    I don't see what you mean by fickle about software programs. The program causes the OS to corrupt, that's not the OS's fault, that's the 3rd party app. And I don't see why that's BS because you went and reloaded the OS, did uninstalling Foursquare and restarting it not help? I'll tell you that's not just VZW's quick fix, I went through 7x9780's since December. I had the Java error once (9900) but after 2 reboots I never saw it again, but it happened because the phone got hung up on reboot and then did another restart and I'm party rocking.
    10-06-11 11:52 PM
    I don't see what you mean by fickle about software programs. The program causes the OS to corrupt, that's not the OS's fault, that's the 3rd party app. And I don't see why that's BS because you went and reloaded the OS, did uninstalling Foursquare and restarting it not help? I'll tell you that's not just VZW's quick fix, I went through 7x9780's since December. I had the Java error once (9900) but after 2 reboots I never saw it again, but it happened because the phone got hung up on reboot and then did another restart and I'm party rocking.
    Dude, I've never had to reload the BB OS over an offending application before. Ever. I've had apps freeze the phone or cause the phone to reboot. I've had to pull the battery. I've received java error messages. I've never had a BB go into an everlasting bootloop over an offending app or had the OS completely fail to load. Again, never. How could I uninstall Foursquare if I couldn't get into the OS? I had to completely load the OS. Others suggested if might be Foursquare so I tried leaving it off of the phone and sure enough, that appears to be the culprit.

It is BS to have to load the OS over a faulty application. The OS should be able to handle a faulty program. Android can. I don't have to reload the Android OS just because some 3rd party developer screwed up some code. After getting an error message and a force close, I uninstall the application. Easy.
    10-07-11 12:04 AM
    Dude, I've never had to reload the BB OS over an offending application before. Ever. I've had apps freeze the phone or cause the phone to reboot. I've had to pull the battery. I've received java error messages. I've never had a BB go into an everlasting bootloop over an offending app or had the OS completely fail to load. Again, never. How could I uninstall Foursquare if I couldn't get into the OS? I had to completely load the OS. Others suggested if might be Foursquare so I tried leaving it off of the phone and sure enough, that appears to be the culprit.

It is BS to have to load the OS over a faulty application. The OS should be able to handle a faulty program. Android can. I don't have to reload the Android OS just because some 3rd party developer screwed up some code. After getting an error message and a force close, I uninstall the application. Easy.
    I misunderstood then...but it was because you didn't state the fact you were in a boot loop! -.-

That is incorrect about Android, I've had to reload my MT4G due to ROM manager and TI, separate occasions. And others have had that happen too. But I get what you mean.
    10-07-11 12:46 AM
    Don't think it's a new phone. Verizon usually gives you refurbished phone as a replacement, not a new phone. I took my 9930 into one of the corporate stores the other day after having the phone for just over a week. I was having an issue with the battery meter not showing the correct information. Keeps showing the lighting bolt even though it's fully charged. The associate tells me that there's nothing wrong with my phone and that it's suppose to continually show the lighting bolt even though the phone is fully charged. I told her that that's not correct and not knowing when the phone is fully charged is an issue for me because of the effects of over charging lithium ion batteries. She kept insisting I didn't know what I was talking about and that the effects of over charging batteries was a myth. Told me my only option was to get a refurbished replacement if there was something wrong with the phone but tells me again that since there was nothing wrong with it there was nothing I could do. So I calmly ask to speak with the manager. In the end they are sending me a new battery (they didn't have any in stock) and received an apology from the manager for the associate's ignorance.
    10-07-11 03:56 AM
    Why in the world would you expect Verizon Technicians to be able to fix a Blackberry device? You're getting a replacement device from the Manufacturer and you're "furious with Verizon"? Think there's a little growing up to do here...
    10-07-11 07:56 AM
    It used to be that when you brought a defective phone into Verizon they would replace it right there if it was under warranty. Now they automatically have the replacement phone fedexed overnight. I hope you guys are keeping your pretty little 9930s in a case. Verizon will nullify the warranty if there are scratches on the edges of the device. This forces you to pay the 100 deductible to the assurian folks assuming you have that insurance.
    10-07-11 10:30 AM
    My question is why people are going through multiple devices all the time? I've never had an issue with any BB I've owned that required a warranty replacement, but I always hear about people going through multiple BB's in a short amount of time. Come to think of it, nobody that I know who's had or has a BB has ever had to have it replaced 3-7 times. I've got one buddy who had his 9630 replaced one time for a trackball issue, that's it. Makes me wonder if it's the device itself, or more user error...

I have also heard of the Foursquare java error, but I have never experienced it myself. Actually, I loaded Foursquare the second day I had my 9930 and haven't had a problem yet.
    10-07-11 10:57 AM
    I am amused that many are taking issue with the OP..

It appears that ordering a phone and actually expecting it to work is to much to ask these days.

When i buy a phone, i do not sign an agreement to be a beta tester, qualification, development or quality assurance engineer... I expect it to work.
    Blondie_leves, SaMaster14 and SOTK like this.
    10-07-11 11:42 AM
    Update: sorry for late response. i've made a mental note never to purchase something when it first comes out. After the OS update i never had the issue again. Yay! I had a right to be upset. My new device kept on failing, and I lost alot of information. Verizon now longer can even troubleshoot information. I had to wait several days for a new device. It was not only troublesome, but no the basic phone did not even work. After the me reloading the OS over and over, and the update it never happened again. Terrible for using a upgrade and spending $200. However, it is very reliable now and couldn't be happier.
    12-27-11 04:20 PM
    When my 9930 bricked vzw was helpful, but wouldn't budge on giving me a new device. I also had to wait 3 days for the FedEx warranty phone and was phone-less.

I'm more upset with the fact that vzw doesn't release new software. .374 is a pretty low build and is the OS that is known to have the bricking/nuking problem. Sure you can get leaks, but other carriers have official OSes that are much better builds stability wise.
    12-27-11 06:20 PM
    Man I still have the original .254 os installed and it works great. I would like an official from vzw that fixes the Bluetooth issue though. Other than that, no issues.
    12-27-11 07:29 PM
    Same here but I was 4 months out. Received a certified refurb nexct day that looks and works better than my original. Hopefully you have a recent backup. Sign in to bb id and all your email addys popup. Took me an hour to be back to normal. Thank goodness for insurance. I still love this Bold!

12-27-11 07:38 PM

It's not unheard of, sorry. There was a build of RIM's FB app that completely hosed the OS on my 9650. It's not really a big deal. Wipe the device, reload the OS, leave off the app. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

Makes me wonder if it's the device itself, or more user error...
    The more posts you read, the more you realize it's the latter.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-28-11 at 07:15 AM.
    12-28-11 07:12 AM
    My question is why people are going through multiple devices all the time?
    I have only ever had one 9930 and it works just fine. I have this strange feeling that the majority of the 99xx owners have had only one device, despite the fist-pounding and screaming here.

It appears that ordering a phone and actually expecting it to work is to much to ask these days.
    Nope. I expected mine to work and it does. The issue isn't expecting the phone to work or not. The issue is threefold: one, people believe that because some number of people post about bad experiences on this (or any other) site that it's proof of a wide-spread problem; two, people go off the deep end over a phone; and three, people point the finger at "evil" corporations when there is an issue instead of realizing that most of the time the issue lies with the user, not the manufacturer/vendor/etc.

There is no learning any more. No doing for oneself. There is only screaming, pouting, and demanding that someone else fix the problem.
    12-28-11 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD