I really miss the Kindle app, but trust Amazon to update it soon.

On the other hand, apps that were written two years ago but not regularly updated, belong to an era when a Blackberry was still something to also write for. Now, it isn't and if something that hasn't been updated regularly is broken on OS7, it's probably dead. Writing for OS7 right now is an alien concept to most developers, given RIM's incoherent strategy and impending obsolescence of BBOS.
    09-15-11 01:13 AM
    ...Writing for OS7 right now is an alien concept to most developers, given RIM's incoherent strategy and impending obsolescence of BBOS.
    Again, you're assuming that OS7 is only going to be around until QNX shows up.
    I'll bet you RIM sells phones with OS7 longer than they sold phones with OS6.
    09-15-11 01:31 AM
    I too was waiting on the ebay app but the new ebay mobile site is much much better then before and the 9900 browser let's you use the full ebay site quite well so I don't need the app anymore. I am slowly moving towards more browser use rather then apps, I'm slowly cutting them out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    elphie28 likes this.
    09-15-11 01:41 AM
    Again, you're assuming that OS7 is only going to be around until QNX shows up.
    I'll bet you RIM sells phones with OS7 longer than they sold phones with OS6.
    Hmm, OS6 devices are not a very good example. They are all obsolete now, a year after their introduction.

But I'm not talking about this. Investing in a platform is a big decision for developers and they don't go into it lightly. RIM's strategy is unclear and the worst thing is that they aren't giving existing Java BB developers continuity on QNX, so the investment is very hard to justify.
    09-15-11 01:54 AM
    Totally agree guys this is a great phone but the app availability is just shocking, I only have 3 apps on mine and when I compare it to my iphone its just used for email and txt. I believe the eBay app will be coming out in October. RIM need to get their act together still can't believe they release a phone with incompatable apps.
    09-15-11 02:03 AM
    I find it strange that they don't want to write apps. Someone above said that it used to be "something to write for". They have more phones out there now then they have ever had. Which should make it more enticing to write apps for the platform. Yes they can get at a bigger audience by making apps for other platforms but the amount of phones RIM has out there is no small number.

Jake Storm likes this.
    09-15-11 02:03 AM
    tapatalk is terribly ugly. hope they'll fixed it soon. its not intuitive at all.
    I mailed with the developer and he thinks its better than iphone version .. but I strongly disagree. I find it hard to navigate and you never know were you are .. and it's just too slow.
    09-15-11 03:21 AM
    I find it strange that they don't want to write apps. Someone above said that it used to be "something to write for". They have more phones out there now then they have ever had. Which should make it more enticing to write apps for the platform. Yes they can get at a bigger audience by making apps for other platforms but the amount of phones RIM has out there is no small number.

Maybe it is just impossible to make good, fast apps for BB and developers realize that? Look at the AppWorld 3.0. I have a 9900 now, there is a brand new app by RIM on their flagship device. And I find it just horrible. It is lagging (takes ages sometimes for apps or its description to appear), start upt time is ridicioulus, it's not intuitive, design is not appealing and coherent (why so big letter fonts?). Is this the best that apps can get on OS7? How come that iphone apps are so much more fluent, appealing and functional? Whereas hardwarewise BB9900 should be competing!
    09-15-11 03:27 AM
    I'm working towards eliminating apps, I find the OS7 browser that good, anybody else?
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-15-11 at 04:02 AM.
    09-15-11 03:53 AM
    The browser is really good and some of the apps that have come through are those that I rely on....I don't use a tremendous amount of apps, mainly navigation and weather. Some banking. However, I do want my Weatherbug.
    And themes. Jessh.........the lack of themes is really getting to me.

I've learned one valuable lesson....I don't think I'll be an early adopter again. My 9800 was smooth as silk. I should have waited until my must haves were ready on the 9810.

That said....LOVE the device itself. Still getting the 9900.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    09-15-11 04:11 AM
    Just finished pointing this out to a few friends in our bbm group. The 9900 is definitely the end all be all blackberry, but the lack of app support, especially this long after the release is unacceptable. Why wasn't it planned out to have the more popular apps finished before the release Pandora, etc. BBM Music would have been a great selling ticket as well. Just as frustrated as the Op.
    09-15-11 04:57 AM
    I don't think RIM is using the processor in this device to its fullest capacity. Hopefully some software updates improve on this. My android with the same processor was ten times faster than my bold is. This is a critical point for RIM I believe its either make it or break it point for them so its in their best interest to push things along faster!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-15-11 05:38 AM
    I agree.
    It strikes me as a bit lazy that developers wouldn't want to write for OS7. Not like it's going to disappear as soon as the first QNX phone shows up. RIM will be putting OS7 on phones for a long time yet.
    i don't think it's lazy... i think it's putting efforts into something that's more in demand..

it hurts me to say it but it's true.. devs don't wanna spend time developing for OS7 which has different resolutions memory etc etc...

they would rather spend time developing for iphones (which only has one size) and android which are in demand now.. example SKYPE..

fortunately i don't use very many apps and the ones i use are almost all optimized for os7

What i am afraid of is that QNX is being HYPED up SOOOOOOO much that if it's anything but a bullet out the barrel it'll get ripped apart ... i don't think the app store will grow as fast as people might expect.. but it'll much better for sure.. just don't know how much better..
    phonejunky likes this.
    09-15-11 09:00 AM
    I don't think RIM is using the processor in this device to its fullest capacity. Hopefully some software updates improve on this. My android with the same processor was ten times faster than my bold is. This is a critical point for RIM I believe its either make it or break it point for them so its in their best interest to push things along faster!

Are you saying speed the phones processor up or speed up production, because pushing out devices without developer support is why we are having uncapatible application problems now.
    09-15-11 09:13 AM
    I'm working towards eliminating apps, I find the OS7 browser that good, anybody else?
    Even with my great browser, apps are just quicker and easier to use. Even the BOA app compared to the BOA mobile site is faster, clearer and has more options.

The browser just takes longer than an app, especially if the site is big and image heavy such as Trip Advisor.

And then there's Orbitz and other sites that require Flash, which the BlackBerry Browser does not support.

Even with my Android, that does have Flash browser, the full site is more cumbersome to navigate, enter forms, etc.

Apps, when they are good, are smooth and fast.

I am hoping dev involvement will increase as BlackBerry releases newer devices.
    09-15-11 09:25 AM
    ...Feeling similar frustration too! I have been emailing a few developers recently, just to ask about updates / ports (of themes as well as apps) and to be fair, they've mostly all responded to me quickly and have said that they're all just waiting on the Theme Builder (or whatever it's called) to be released and then they'll start working on the new software versions. They seem quite confident that these new versions will be much-improved too, w/ the new 9900 capabilities n' stuff.
    BTW - I managed to get Evernote to work fine and that was a few weeks ago too, I just downloaded it again from the App World and didn't need to tweak it or anything for it to work w/ OS7.
    09-15-11 10:54 AM
    I guess Im lucky that I dont need a LOT of apps on my 9930. Just the FEW that I ACTUALLY USE. Most of my family are androidish, but its the few who still use Blackberrys that keep in touch, because BBM ALWAYS works. Gtalk, Skype, whatever. BBM is always working. I am with some of the other posters in this forum in that when I have the time I usually try to figure out what apps I can REMOVE from my Blackberry. Too many apps is like too many neighbors. Its fun having everyone over , but after a while its really just a few that you can always relate to.
    09-15-11 11:11 AM
    I guess being a long time app user I have not qualms about the current barren app space for OS7 devices. The browser works just fine for me and I have my necessities in place for navigation (BB Traffic) and weather (BeWeather).
    09-15-11 12:32 PM
    ...Feeling similar frustration too! I have been emailing a few developers recently, just to ask about updates / ports (of themes as well as apps) and to be fair, they've mostly all responded to me quickly and have said that they're all just waiting on the Theme Builder (or whatever it's called) to be released and then they'll start working on the new software versions. They seem quite confident that these new versions will be much-improved too, w/ the new 9900 capabilities n' stuff.

BTW - I managed to get Evernote to work fine and that was a few weeks ago too, I just downloaded it again from the App World and didn't need to tweak it or anything for it to work w/ OS7.
    I spoke to Evernote and told them they need to increase the font size like it is in android so they sent me a new version no change same thing! I emailed them back and they said they are working on it.

09-15-11 12:42 PM
    I have been a very positive poster here on the 9900/9930 fourms. But the lack of apps and support from the developers is starting to make me think I made a mistake coming back to BB. I can't believe it takes this long to fix apps to run on OS 7. I took a big loss coming from android to gain what I like on blackberry but enough is enough I need more support from RIM or the app developers. I have sent several emails to developers of apps I purchased and don't work correctly but no response! This type of treatment will hurt blackberries new devices.

Hey! I am an android refugee as well! Fell in love with the BB when I was overseas and needed a smartphone and it was one of the cheaper ones I could get. Came home and got a 9930 from Verizon!

Agree the number of apps (and quality of the apps avail) should be higher - but this is early days of the BB7 OS. I remember the bad old days of Android 1.0 ... hardly any apps and the ones they had would suck your battery dry or go unstable except a very few.
    09-15-11 01:29 PM
    Yep, I no longer use the amazon app due to the OS7 browser (amonst others). This is especially good because Amazon never really updated their apps over the years anyhow....
    09-15-11 01:47 PM
    Paypal and eBay are the big ones and I just got a response from tapatalk and his fix worked. Evernote is still not working right and no response from them.

What's the issue with Evernote? Mine works fine on my 9930.
    09-15-11 02:00 PM
    Hmm, OS6 devices are not a very good example. They are all obsolete now, a year after their introduction.
    You have to be joking, right? I still see many handsets running 4.x/5.x. OS6 handsets are not obsolete.
    09-15-11 04:11 PM
    You have to be joking, right? I still see many handsets running 4.x/5.x. OS6 handsets are not obsolete.
    He didn't mean they're gone off the face of the earth. He meant that they are obsolete because no Developers are coding new applications for those OS versions. They are indeed obsolete.
    09-15-11 06:02 PM
    He didn't mean they're gone off the face of the earth. He meant that they are obsolete because no Developers are coding new applications for those OS versions. They are indeed obsolete.
    True. I sit corrected. Haha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oniberry; 09-16-11 at 12:49 PM.
    09-15-11 06:05 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD