So while there are many other things out there in the world to be frustrated with besides the decision on what phone to buy and the even bigger decision to commit 2 years to another phone company...this is all just my opinion and observation...

I've been with T-Mobile for 10+ years and currently in a family plan that is extremely cheap. Right now I'm not happy with the 9900 at all and sadly what breaks me is the lack of the autofocus on the camera. I do a LOT of mobile uploading with pics, documenting my life, etc. on facebook...that's just how I am, deal with it! I know a lot of people are bashing people who are not satisfied with the camera saying to get a standalone phone...trust me, I have one (a Canon Elph). But times have changed and the fact that BlackBerry has removed the autofocus and INCREASED the price of this phone is unacceptable.

Then I decided to do some research on the battery and noticed that the battery for the 9900 series is not high in mAh as the 9780...WTF is up with that?! Don't they understand that to power that touch screen, etc. will use up more battery life than it's predecessors?! I already carry a fully charged extra battery for my 9780 at all times!

I played around with the 9810 and noticed that it was very difficult to type on therefore I won't be switching to Sprint for that phone. Purchased a BlackBerry Playbook a few months ago and quickly returned it due to lack of apps. I purchased an iPad 2 on Thursday and I feel that I may soon be turning to Apple, iPhone and MacBook, etc. especially with the release of iOS5.

Who knows, maybe one day I may return to BlackBerry...But HIGH Price point, lack of autofocus (not to mention lack of apps!), and decreased battery power...especially with this LONG WAIT...have ultimately deterred me from wanting to do any further business with RIM. If the iPhone 5 doesn't improve their nightime photo-taking then I just may turn back to the BlackBerry 9900 since pictures are very important to me. Until then...time to call T-Mobile and make up a story to get a refurbished 9780 for now HAHA
    08-22-11 11:12 PM
    Two thoughts come to mind.

YAWN and

Bye!
    08-22-11 11:19 PM
    Whatever...
    08-22-11 11:21 PM
    Lol. what a story. good luck getting better battery device on any other smartphone. You won't. Blackberry can use smaller batteries and still get superior battery life to any other platform. Take a look at the pics posted here on CB forums taken with the 9900/9930 ...they are as good as those taken with many digital cameras. sheesh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 11:35 PM
    If you need autofocus so bad buy a digital camera. Sheesh...
    Supervillain24 likes this.
    08-22-11 11:36 PM
    Lol. what a story. good luck getting better battery device on any other smartphone. You won't. Blackberry can use smaller batteries and still get superior battery life to any other platform. Take a look at the pics posted here on CB forums taken with the 9900/9930 ...they are as good as those taken with many digital cameras. sheesh.

Nokia don't sell much in USA, but with them the battery life is outstanding.
    08-22-11 11:38 PM
    I notice only a slightly worse battery life than my 9780 and 9700.
    08-22-11 11:49 PM
    Lol why does everyone have to post their life story on here? Your leaving? "Boo hoo man I'm crying so hard." I doubt anyone actually cares, don't mean to sound like a **** but the amount of unneeded threads surfacing is ridiculous.
    08-22-11 11:54 PM
    Lol why does everyone have to post their life story on here? Your leaving? "Boo hoo man I'm crying so hard." I doubt anyone actually cares, don't mean to sound like a **** but the amount of unneeded threads surfacing is ridiculous.
    It makes them feel loved
    08-23-11 01:43 AM
    OP,
    I really can't sympathize with you on this one.
    For you a good camera was necessary as you take a lot of pictures on the move.
    The fact that the 9900 has no AF camera has been beaten to death and even some Amazonian Tribes know about it by now. Yet you went ahead and bought the 9900.
    You needed a good camera, the 9900 only has a functional camera. This device wasn't meant for you from the get go.
    It's like buying a Ferrari and then complaining that the Cessna can fly and the Ferrari can't.
    iPad 2, good decision, smooth, lots of apps, a touch too big for me, but that's my opinion.
    By the way the Camera on the iPad2 was invented when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Some Neanderthals have been known to make better images than the iPad2 camera. Just to let you know, lest you get disappointed with your next purchase as well.
    08-23-11 01:50 AM
    Its just one of those preference things. I'm not gonna say 'cool story bro' or tell you to leave. Just gonna say good luck with whatever new device you end up getting. the Bold must just not have been for you. If you are are a touch screen guy and like Blackberry, why not check out the Torch 9850/60, I'm almost positive it has autofocus on the camera

Personally, the BB does a lot more for me than iOS and the Android platform. It just works for me. Granted, I do have an iPod Touch and iPad for my gaming and app needs. But for some reason I would never buy an iOS device as my main phone. There are just those small things about BlackBerry that I don't want to give up.

About the camera... it seems to work really really well for me. Long distance photos are great looking imo (and i also use professional cameras when I really want to take a nice picture... I just want a phone that can take some cool and decent pics on the go... imo the 9930 does WAY more than just that) And for close ups, stand a bit away and zoom in and the image is MUCH clearer, or you can use any of the free or paid pdf picture apps.

Battery life is WAY better than my 9650's was also. My device lasts about a day and I do use it quite a bit (not as extensively as others might though). But its better than any Android phone I've seen, and my iPod Touch battery if pretty bad when I use it a lot (iPad battery is amazing though :P).
    08-23-11 01:58 AM
    OP,
    I really can't sympathize with you on this one.
    For you a good camera was necessary as you take a lot of pictures on the move.
    The fact that the 9900 has no AF camera has been beaten to death and even some Amazonian Tribes know about it by now. Yet you went ahead and bought the 9900.
    You needed a good camera, the 9900 only has a functional camera. This device wasn't meant for you from the get go.
    It's like buying a Ferrari and then complaining that the Cessna can fly and the Ferrari can't.
    iPad 2, good decision, smooth, lots of apps, a touch too big for me, but that's my opinion.
    By the way the Camera on the iPad2 was invented when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. Some Neanderthals have been known to make better images than the iPad2 camera. Just to let you know, lest you get disappointed with your next purchase as well.
    Amazon tribe. Love it.

sam_b77 likes this.
    08-23-11 02:01 AM
    Battery size is irrelevant if performance is up to snuff. On my 9930 I am able to get over 2 days of life if I choose. So RIM engineered the phone appropriately.

08-23-11 02:12 AM
    tl;dr
    uci2ci and PsyCorps like this.
    08-23-11 02:55 AM
    ^LOL!!!!! You just had me google that one!!!
    08-23-11 03:07 AM
    The camera on the 9900, as seen on the threads in this forum speak highly of the picture quality that this device offers. I won't say that 9900 is the smartphone with the best camera around but then again Blackberries are basically business phones for people who do not wish to do professional photography on their phones. As said it's a bad workman who quarrels with his tools. I have taken pretty good photos with my 2MP, no auto focus camera on my Nokia E63 and I use a Cannon DSLR, (EOS 550D) besides a Sony Cybershot (W320) which I carry with me at all times. About the battery? Well, if you want to build a race car there are things like power to weight ratio, gearing, handling and stuff. Same in a Smartphone there is power management and 9900 gives users pretty decent backup (as compared to Androids)
    08-23-11 06:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD