I can't get my gmail to validate on my NEW 9900. It asks me constantly to validate it. I haven't been successful enough to get one email on this thing. I've had it for 2 days and it just refuses to work. I've tried calling Rogers Tech Support, sending service books, changing the password on my gmail account, deleting and re-adding the account to the BB, reinstall the OS using DM, searched online, deleted the gmail account from my iPad (which is working fine and was working fine on my iPhone) thinking there was something up with that and I've done numerous battery pulls.

I was an avid BB user until I got the Torch. I hated that BB so I went to iPhone for 4 months and I'm back but now I can't get my damn gmail to validate.

Does anybody know what the "kink in the chain" is? Or do I need to return this and get a new one?
    08-20-11 07:51 AM
    Do you have advanced security sign-in enabled for your Gmail account?
    08-20-11 07:59 AM
    You mean https?
    08-20-11 08:04 AM
    Advanced sign-in security for your Google account - Official Gmail Blog

it requires you to create a code for each new device or computer that you log into gmail on, for more security.
    08-20-11 08:23 AM
    I'm having the same issue for 2 of 3 gmail accounts I use. I tried the advanced settings, still can't create the accounts in my BIS settings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 08:50 AM
    I could NOT validate my gmail account either on my Rogers 9900. I tried everything that you said too. Until I updated my OS to .317 and it validated right away. Very strange.

08-20-11 08:51 AM
    I could NOT validate my gmail account either on my Rogers 9900. I tried everything that you said too. Until I updated my OS to .317 and it validated right away. Very strange.

How did you update to .317? Is that an unofficial OS?
    08-20-11 09:18 AM
    I couldn't get mine to work either until I called Verizon tech support. They had to get BB tech on the line and "unlock" my gmail account in the BIS server. He said I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own. Kind of strange, I had to give them my password and everything. I obviously changed it aftwards...

08-20-11 11:56 AM
    have the same problem with my carrier (bell) email... it shows the icon for the email but the email isn't even listed in my email setup so i can't even validate it
    08-20-11 12:02 PM

I had same issue with my Rogers 9900 (running .261), couldn't sync my calendar/contacts, even though was able to add my Gmail account and receive/send emails. So I logged into rogers.blackberry.com with my account, changed the Device PIN and IMEI (I was coming off of a Torch 9800), then all accounts that had previously been set up had a circle with a red x through them. The tip at the bottom of that window said that the accounts need to be validated, so one by one I clicked on those circles and re-entered passwords for each account.

Interestingly enough, the one account that said it required validation was that Gmail account. So I followed the on-screen instructions, opened the account on my 9900, re-entered my password (for the umpteenth time), clicked Validate and it worked.

Resending myself the Service Books was also critical to getting this working.
    08-20-11 01:30 PM
    can someone tell me how to re-send the service books ? having the same problem and it's driving me nuts
    08-21-11 04:11 PM
    I can't get my phone to sync delete/read with gmail. Push email works fine though, and I have advanced security settings on my account.

I phoned telus and they said OS7 isn't even on BIS anymore, it is all blackberry ID. Also suggested adding calendar sync. Pretty sure the rep had no idea...

Edit: 9900, 7.0.0.261
    Last edited by Riffz; 08-21-11 at 04:34 PM.
    08-21-11 04:29 PM
    can someone tell me how to re-send the service books ? having the same problem and it's driving me nuts
    Two ways:

Go to your service provider's BIS site, log in and send service books from there,

or

On your device go to email account management and press menu button and send service books.
    Last edited by frkm0005; 08-21-11 at 07:48 PM.
    08-21-11 07:33 PM
    I'm having this very same problem and have not resolved. Just got the 9900 2 days ago and still can't get gmail setup. It continually asks me to validate, appears to work, no email ever comes, then asks to validate again. I've restored the device a couple of times, resent service books, and spent a good hour on the phone with Rogers.

Even they are stumped. Gave them my gmail password so they could set it up on their end, it appeared to work, then went invalid again. The Rogers tech tried the same account on one of their devices and the same problem happened (not sure what model phone they used). I've tried a couple different gmail accounts now with the same problems....

Anybody find any confirmed solution?
    09-05-11 04:53 PM
    Should point out, my firmware is .261 and when I check for updates, my phone tells me it's up to date.
    09-05-11 04:55 PM
    i've had similar issues before.

my gf originally set up her email acct as 'googlemail' instead of the more common 'gmail' and while setting up her acct, i kept using gmail. although she was able to recieve emails on her blackberry, the email icon wouldnt show up. after many hours of setting configurations, i finally deleted it and set it up as 'googlemail'. it works fine now.
    09-06-11 12:12 AM
    i've had similar issues before.

my gf originally set up her email acct as 'googlemail' instead of the more common 'gmail' and while setting up her acct, i kept using gmail. although she was able to recieve emails on her blackberry, the email icon wouldnt show up. after many hours of setting configurations, i finally deleted it and set it up as 'googlemail'. it works fine now.
    Seems to be no options for setting it up that way for me. I can choose a gmail account or other and all I'm prompted for is to type the email address and pw.

Spoke w/ Rogers again today and the rep was trying a few more things on his end. The account stays valid at first, but he confirmed as soon as he tries to pull messages from my gmail inbox (ie. send them to my phone) is when it goes invalid again.

Nobody knows why, or if this is a google security thing or something, we verified that all my account settings in gmail are set right, and the same as his own settings that work for him on his blackberry.

Not a good first impression so far...
    09-08-11 12:52 AM
    I had the same issue yesterday. Found this tip.

Go to this site and 'uncaptcha'. Then try activating again. For me it worked. No clue to what it actually does, though.

https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    telefonique and 312 like this.
    09-08-11 01:31 AM
    I couldn't get one of my gmail accounts to validate until I deleted the account along with it's service book. That seemed to have fixed it for me. I think I ran into that problem because I tried to set up my email accounts without my bis service being fully activated haha... so after it was everything went smooth for me
    09-08-11 01:49 AM
    I had the same issue yesterday. Found this tip.

Go to this site and 'uncaptcha'. Then try activating again. For me it worked. No clue to what it actually does, though.

https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Progress, finally! We'll see if it sticks. This combined with resending the service books and re validating (which I had tried several times over on its own) has finally got me to a point where I can actually receive emails on the device for the first time since buying it on Saturday. Hopefully it sticks.

My understanding of what this does, is clears some sort of flag that google is setting when multiple devices / i.p. addresses try accessing the same account and their recommendation is people use the webmail if its too much of a problem. Pfft.

Hopefully this doesn't continue to be a problem as I will be using OS X mail, and the black berry.
    09-08-11 02:01 AM
    blast. still no dice. even exchanged the phone today on the off chance that maybe it was something hardware specific failing or conflicting with gmail for some reason (really doubted it) but nope..... I'm starting to lean more and more towards this being a gmail problem and not a RIM problem.
    09-08-11 10:14 PM
    I had this issue for the longest of time. (gmail account password was correct, validated, then a few minutes later it would go invalid again)
    Finally after enough google-ing and tinkering I found the solution.

The BIS error/step-by-step instructions don't really tell you to do this. Nor do the carriers, or anything. They always go through the unlock captcha, service books, etc..

Here was the solution for me!
    I'll assume you have all have POP and IMAP access enabled, if not. do that for all mail!
    1) in your gmail account, go to mail settings.
    2) then go to Labels and you should see your folder list and etc...then on the right side of each row, you should see a checkbox and "Show in IMAP"
    3) Find "All Mail" and make sure the "show in IMAP" checkbox is checked
    4) Re-validate your gmail account and it should work.

This works for both 2-factor authentication and regular password authentications.

I think there are some google/RIM forum threads on this but I don't remember where they are.
    Lemme know if this works for you guys!
    telefonique likes this.
    09-09-11 12:55 AM
    Update the OS to .353 and this will resolve the issue. I had the same problem with the stock Rogers OS.
    09-09-11 01:09 AM
    I had this issue for the longest of time. (gmail account password was correct, validated, then a few minutes later it would go invalid again)
    Finally after enough google-ing and tinkering I found the solution.

The BIS error/step-by-step instructions don't really tell you to do this. Nor do the carriers, or anything. They always go through the unlock captcha, service books, etc..

Here was the solution for me!
    I'll assume you have all have POP and IMAP access enabled, if not. do that for all mail!
    1) in your gmail account, go to mail settings.
    2) then go to Labels and you should see your folder list and etc...then on the right side of each row, you should see a checkbox and "Show in IMAP"
    3) Find "All Mail" and make sure the "show in IMAP" checkbox is checked
    4) Re-validate your gmail account and it should work.

This works for both 2-factor authentication and regular password authentications.

I think there are some google/RIM forum threads on this but I don't remember where they are.
    Lemme know if this works for you guys!
    Thanks, this solved my problem.

Don't know if the firmware would have or not as I haven't tried updating to the 353 firmware, my device still reads that it is currently up to date so I guess this firmware isn't available officially yet for Rogers...?
    09-09-11 10:34 AM
    Thanks, this solved my problem.

Don't know if the firmware would have or not as I haven't tried updating to the 353 firmware, my device still reads that it is currently up to date so I guess this firmware isn't available officially yet for Rogers...?
    I'm pretty sure its not a firmware issue. I had this problem on my 9700 and my 9800 until I figured it out. I even got the carrier to create a new BIS account for me and it didn't work. I'm now on the 9900 and it works fine. I'm willing to bet it would have produced the same error until I did that fix.
    09-09-11 10:57 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD