I travel often and on my Iphone 4 or Android device I just swap the GSM sim card every time I go to another country and am able to use all the features of that phone in each country I go to (except China of course with Facebook and Youtube )

If one had signed up for Blackberry services in say Taiwan or Hong-Konga and then traveled to another country could one swap the sim card to a local one with 3G data services and still be able to use most downloaded applications such as whatsapp or MSN messenger? What about checking MAC mail or Yahoo mail? What about surfing the net and downloading the news from Bloomberg?

Phone would not be so convenient if you had to have a Blackberry plan in each country one visited especially if one already had a GSM SIM card with 3G Data services on it already as one would need to buy another service and another line which does not make much economical sense. That would also explain diminishing sales for Blackberry as many people here in Asia travel between countries and are used to just swapping SIM cards.
    Last edited by 9900Boldfan; 10-09-11 at 12:37 PM.
    10-09-11 12:35 PM
    With an unlocked GSM BB it's NO different than any other GSM phone as long as you don't need BIS.
    10-09-11 12:42 PM
    agreed. in most countries you can just swap the sim card and it will work, although in europe you sometimes need to buy a blackberry internet plan... don't know how it works in asia.
    10-09-11 12:58 PM
    With an unlocked GSM BB it's NO different than any other GSM phone as long as you don't need BIS.
    Can someone explain this "as long as you don't need BIS".

What does that mean. It seems like everyone agrees it will work but will i get push email and BBM service?

TIA
    10-09-11 06:37 PM
    Hey buddy...!

It all depends on ur BB plan/service... I have a 9900 and live in China + constant travel to nearby countries + Europe + US + South America...

Never need to swap SIM cards since my plan is "global coverage"...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 08:31 PM
    WHen you swap sim card, you MUST get BB service from the new provider. You can don't switch SIM card and and when you have access to any WIFI, you can use all the service through WIFI with your current SIM card.

Alternatively, you can just do roaming but you pay extra data charges for your BBM service.

So its up to you. You can pay extra for roaming charges OR you can swap SIM card OR you can keep your sim card but turn off data services when you roam and ONLY use the WIFI to connect.

- Charles
    10-09-11 10:11 PM
    I travel often and on my Iphone 4 or Android device I just swap the GSM sim card every time I go to another country and am able to use all the features of that phone in each country I go to (except China of course with Facebook and Youtube )

If one had signed up for Blackberry services in say Taiwan or Hong-Konga and then traveled to another country could one swap the sim card to a local one with 3G data services and still be able to use most downloaded applications such as whatsapp or MSN messenger? What about checking MAC mail or Yahoo mail? What about surfing the net and downloading the news from Bloomberg?

Phone would not be so convenient if you had to have a Blackberry plan in each country one visited especially if one already had a GSM SIM card with 3G Data services on it already as one would need to buy another service and another line which does not make much economical sense. That would also explain diminishing sales for Blackberry as many people here in Asia travel between countries and are used to just swapping SIM cards.
    By the way, do you know that you can use Facebook and Youtube in China through your Blackberry?? Bet you can't do that on iPhone unless you use some kind of proxy

- Charles
    9900Boldfan likes this.
    10-09-11 10:13 PM
    By the way, do you know that you can use Facebook and Youtube in China through your Blackberry?? Bet you can't do that on iPhone unless you use some kind of proxy

- Charles
    I did not know that, Thanks.. I assume I could use Facebook and Youtube in China if I had bought the Bold 9900 in Hong-Kong with a local plan and was roaming in China but if I took out the Hong-Kong Sim card to avoid roaming charges and placed in a local sim card then I most likely will not be able to use Facebook and Youtube.
    10-09-11 11:33 PM
    WHen you swap sim card, you MUST get BB service from the new provider. You can don't switch SIM card and and when you have access to any WIFI, you can use all the service through WIFI with your current SIM card.

Alternatively, you can just do roaming but you pay extra data charges for your BBM service.

So its up to you. You can pay extra for roaming charges OR you can swap SIM card OR you can keep your sim card but turn off data services when you roam and ONLY use the WIFI to connect.

- Charles
    Roaming charges are not cheap so it would be quite expensive to use one sim card in various countries to get all features. So if you swapped your sim card you basically could not run any of the other features or applications in there such as whatsapp, correct?
    10-09-11 11:35 PM
    Hey buddy...!

It all depends on ur BB plan/service... I have a 9900 and live in China + constant travel to nearby countries + Europe + US + South America...

Never need to swap SIM cards since my plan is "global coverage"...

I like to have local numbers when I travel in Asia so locals don't have to make international calls to call me and local sim cards with internet plans are cheap in Thailand,China and Hong-Kong but buying a Blackberry Plan in each country is not that cheap and one then would not be able to switch that sim card to use in a regular phone for internet/data usage.
    10-09-11 11:43 PM
    If you simply just switch SIM card, you would not have access to anything, even you are connected to WIFI (browsing is fine), UNLESS you subscribe BB plan on the new SIM card.

- Charles
    10-10-11 04:04 AM
    I had a Bold 9900 BB ID authenticated in Nepal a few days ago after inserting a local carrier sim card. No sweat. You should maybe have wifi enabled and connect to the Internet in a local cafe, then replace the sim card. That might do the trick.
    10-17-11 04:25 PM
    Roaming charges are not cheap so it would be quite expensive to use one sim card in various countries to get all features. So if you swapped your sim card you basically could not run any of the other features or applications in there such as whatsapp, correct?
    Just get XCom Global Mi-Fi for $15 per day, it works in many countries and is much cheaper than roaming. You get very good unlimited 3G data speed and it will support up to 5 devices simultaneously.
    10-17-11 05:00 PM
    A bit of sidebar advice, be sure to check out blackberry travel for plane flight info. I don't travel much but used last weekend for vacation. Its awesome to keep track of departure/arrival gates and times. It can also smart search your inbox for flight info and will keep you up to date on the flight changes. And its free. I'd definitely recommend it for any travelers out there. Sorry to jump in the thread, just trying to be helpful! Hope it all works out for you.

9900Boldfan likes this.
    10-18-11 12:16 AM
    A bit of sidebar advice, be sure to check out blackberry travel for plane flight info. I don't travel much but used last weekend for vacation. Its awesome to keep track of departure/arrival gates and times. It can also smart search your inbox for flight info and will keep you up to date on the flight changes. And its free. I'd definitely recommend it for any travelers out there. Sorry to jump in the thread, just trying to be helpful! Hope it all works out for you.

I have Flight Track on my Iphone 4 for that and it works excellent.
    10-19-11 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD