Now that Vlingo is free in App World... I've installed and trying to get familiar with it (hav never used it).

1) I guess I have to have my only convenience key set to "do nothing" to use it?? (lose my convenience key?)

2) If I have SafeReady "OFF".... how do I get it to read my emails?

3) When I ask it to email someone... it defaults to my BB.net email. Can I changed that to my Gmail email?

Sorry if these are noob questions... but i'm a first time user of this app.

Thanks!!
    11-04-11 10:06 AM
    I would also like the answers to these. Posted #1 in the app forum too.

Hoping we get the answer.

I don't want to use the convenience key because I am using a soft shell. I don't see why we can't just select the Vlingo icon from the menu whenever you want to use it. There has to be a way to do that right?
    11-04-11 10:11 AM
    Now that Vlingo is free in App World... I've installed and trying to get familiar with it (hav never used it).

1) I guess I have to have my only convenience key set to "do nothing" to use it?? (lose my convenience key?)

2) If I have SafeReady "OFF".... how do I get it to read my emails?

3) When I ask it to email someone... it defaults to my BB.net email. Can I changed that to my Gmail email?

Sorry if these are noob questions... but i'm a first time user of this app.

Thanks!!
    1) Yes.

2) You can't, because it's turned off.

3) Change your default email service in Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Default Services
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    11-04-11 10:32 AM
    So there's no way to use the app without using the convenience key to launch it?
    11-04-11 10:38 AM
    Just got the word from Vlingo themselves:

By your description of the Vlingo application home screen, it seems that Vlingo Plus is successfully set up on your BlackBerry device.

In regards to using the convenience key to activate Vlingo, please be aware that you must hold down the convenience key in order to prompt Vlingo to listen. There is no other button, key, option, etc. on the phone that you can use to activate Vlingo. Furthermore, the convenience key must be set to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing". If your BlackBerry device hass two convenience keys, you can choose which one you would like to use with Vlingo by setting that convenience key (i.e. left or right) to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing". If your BlackBerry only has one convenience key, that side key will have to be set up to be used with Vlingo (i.e. "Do Nothing" or "Nothing").

With that said, you cannot have the side key that you want to use to activate Vlingo set to "Camera" when trying to use Vlingo. The only work around to this predicament is to change the convenience key to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing" when you want to use Vlingo and change it back to "Camera" when you are done using Vlingo. Obviously, this can be an inconvenience, but, unfortunately, there is no other work around.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Best regards,

Ari
    Vlingo Support
    11-04-11 11:07 AM
    hmmm...so then, how else do I bring up Quick Launch from now on, then???
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    11-04-11 11:28 AM
    You have to add it onto your homescreen make it an icon then select the settings you want like keyboard shortcuts....That's all you can do if you're going to use Vlingo. it's not like Siri where you can just press a button.
    11-04-11 11:37 AM
    You don't "lose" your convenience key; you GAIN the ability to use it for Vllingo commands. You "lose" it to the same extent you "lose" it for every other purpose when you set is as your camera button.

The button only provides one function at a time. If you don't have Vlingo and you set it to "nothing" then yes you "lose" the key. When you HAVE vlingo you ACQUIRE the very important function of being able to use vlingo. See the difference?
    4-hgeek likes this.
    11-04-11 11:53 AM
    is there a way i can map quick launch to like the spacebar?
    11-04-11 01:19 PM
    If you turn off dial from home screen, it is set by default to be your spacebar.
    11-04-11 01:37 PM
    So there's no way to use the app without using the convenience key to launch it?
    Actually, there is. You will have to remap the convenience key during the set-up process, but after that is complete, go into "options" on Vlingo, and change "voice key behavior" to "only on Vlingo home". Save the changes, then exit Vlingo and from BB home screen, go to "options", then "device", then set "convenience key" up to do whatever you want. I kept my convenience key set to open messages, yet Vlingo works fine once I launch it. I did notice that if you have the convenience key set for camera that once you launch Vlingo and speak your command, the camera will still launch while Vlingo is thinking,but on the 9930,Vlingo resumes smoothly once it is through thinking.
    However, when I tried to set up my grandmother's new 9350 this way, the Curve would switch from Vlingo immediately over to the camera and there is no Vlingo to be seen. I would imagine the 9900 works the same as 9930 here, but there is apparent device variability, even with the same OS. Hope this helps.
    11-04-11 02:03 PM
    I always had mine set up to use the spacebar
    11-04-11 02:30 PM
    1) Yes.

2) You can't, because it's turned off.

3) Change your default email service in Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Default Services
    So I have #1 & #3 figured out....

But for #2... If SafeReader is "OFF"... there is no "manual" way to have Vlingo read your email?
    11-04-11 02:48 PM
    So I have #1 & #3 figured out....

But for #2... If SafeReader is "OFF"... there is no "manual" way to have Vlingo read your email?
    Lol, if you had to do it manually it wouldn't be called "SafeReader" the whole point is to do it automatically.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 03:08 PM
    When we download these Compliments of BB apps, like Vlingo and Shazam Encore, when they will go back to be paid apps, if we update the os and say lose our installs, can we RE-Install them for free? Or would we have to pay?

Thanks.
    11-04-11 03:26 PM
    Just downloaded Vlingo Plus and wondered if anyone knows what the correct setting should be on the permissions for the topic: "Secure Element"? everything else is set at ALLOW but that was set at PROMPT! What should it be set at and what is it? Thank you!!!
    11-04-11 03:48 PM
    In answer to question no. 2, hold down the convenience key and say "start safereader" and it will reply saying "safereader on" to turn it off, hold convenience key and say "stop safereader" and it will say "safereader off".
    11-04-11 04:12 PM
    When we download these Compliments of BB apps, like Vlingo and Shazam Encore, when they will go back to be paid apps, if we update the os and say lose our installs, can we RE-Install them for free? Or would we have to pay?

Thanks.

Q: After December 31, 2011 when the Thank You offer ends, will I have to pay for the apps I’ve downloaded?

A. No, you won’t have to pay for the app once you’ve downloaded it for free. All of the apps selected for the Thank You Gift offer will be available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep and use afterward. Starting January 1, 2012, these premium apps will return to their full price on BlackBerry App World, so be sure to take advantage of the free Thank You offer by downloading them at no cost on or before December 31, 2011.

Q. How is RIM going to ensure that I am not charged for the apps?A. Separate SKUs will be created for each app in BlackBerry App World. You won’t have to pay for the app once you’ve downloaded it for free. All of the apps selected for the Thank You Gift offer will be available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep and use afterward. Even if you upgrade your device or software. This will be managed through your BlackBerry ID account.
    11-04-11 04:17 PM
    Look up the app called 6 tools.

SixTools on CrackBerry App Superstore

Allows you to use your volume and mute keys as convenience keys when music is not playing. I actually had 4 convenience keys with that app and lost one to Vlingo - which isnt really a loss. Vlingo is awesome!
    11-04-11 04:23 PM
    Actually, there is. You will have to remap the convenience key during the set-up process, but after that is complete, go into "options" on Vlingo, and change "voice key behavior" to "only on Vlingo home". Save the changes, then exit Vlingo and from BB home screen, go to "options", then "device", then set "convenience key" up to do whatever you want. I kept my convenience key set to open messages, yet Vlingo works fine once I launch it. I did notice that if you have the convenience key set for camera that once you launch Vlingo and speak your command, the camera will still launch while Vlingo is thinking,but on the 9930,Vlingo resumes smoothly once it is through thinking.
    However, when I tried to set up my grandmother's new 9350 this way, the Curve would switch from Vlingo immediately over to the camera and there is no Vlingo to be seen. I would imagine the 9900 works the same as 9930 here, but there is apparent device variability, even with the same OS. Hope this helps.
    Can you explain what you mean by remapping the convenience key. Already have Vlingo installed and changed it like you said but it wouldn't work with the convenience key. Then when I set it back (with the Vlingo setting on 'launch only on Vlingo home), I now would have to have it open, then click the convenience key to get it to work
    11-04-11 04:32 PM
    I tried reseting the convenience key as well per the instructions above on my 9810 Torch and it wouldn't work. Bummer as I used the convenience key for the built-in voice recongnition on the phone, (which is very good) for calling out and search. Thanks anyway!
    Do you know what the permission setting on user data named "Secure Element" is for and how it should be set. Default is set at Prompt while all else is set at "Allow". Thanks!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 11-04-11 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typos
    11-04-11 05:10 PM
    I have one problem that is stopping me from getting the most out of vlingo. The contact book doesn't seem to add everyone that I have on my phone. I thought that I might not have copied everything from my sim card but I have but it only seems to recognoze numbers I have added recently and directly into my phone, not copied over from my sim. Anyone know how can I fix this, its really a shame when I can only say text or call 5 or so people.

11-04-11 05:13 PM
    I tried reseting the convenience key as well per the instructions above on my 9810 Torch and it wouldn't work. Bummer as I used the convenience key for the built-in voice recongnition on the phone, (which is very good) for calling out and search. Thanks anyway!
    Do you know what the permission setting on user data named "Secure Element" is for and how it should be set. Default is set at Prompt while all else is set at "Allow". Thanks!
    Why not use Vlingo for your calls and searches? Works great!

11-04-11 05:27 PM
    I agree, it does work good and I have been using it, even on the free version. One issue I have seen that I can't find any threads on, is that when using the "reply with Vlingo" to a text or email, it sometimes puts up a contact that I am not replying to. I emailed Vlingo support but they only sent me back some FAQs that didn't have anything on it.. lost! Also can't find anyting regarding the permission called "Secure Element" and would really like to know what that is. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by go1ndr; 11-04-11 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo
    11-04-11 07:39 PM
    Can you explain what you mean by remapping the convenience key. Already have Vlingo installed and changed it like you said but it wouldn't work with the convenience key. Then when I set it back (with the Vlingo setting on 'launch only on Vlingo home), I now would have to have it open, then click the convenience key to get it to work
    After the initial successful setup of Vlingo,"remapping the convenience key" is just going through the regular BB menu steps to select a function for the convenience key ( launch browser or camera,etc.). After you set the "voice key behavior" to "only on Vlingo home", you will have to click on the Vlingo icon to launch Vlingo rather than the convenience key. By setting it up this way, you maintain the freedom to use the convenience key as you please while still being able to enjoy Vlingo's features. If you want to be able to activate and use Vlingo by just pressing the convenience key, in the Vlingo app, set "voice key behavior" to "anywhere.". When set this way, Vlingo takes priority over any previous setting for the convenience key.
    11-04-11 08:06 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD