I've been taking very good care of my 9900 since I got it. It feels sturdy but it's such a lot of money and I've handled it much more delicately than my old 8900. I still intend to, but I'm no longer worried in the 9900's possible fragility. It's made of stern stuff.

I put it in my trousers' mobile pocket earlier, unaware that somehow the bottom of said pocket had been torn recently. It fell through on to my foot, resulting in me punting it about 7 or 8 feet into the steel pillar of a shopping cart shelter, then spinning off the side of that, and sliding front down across the tarmac a few feet. My heart skipped a beat, I can tell you.

Result. Two small grazes on the rubberised corners, and not so much as a mark elsewhere, not even on the screen after it had slid front down across the tarmac.

I'll still be handling it with care and checking pockets regularly for random tearing (seriously have no idea how that happened). This is no reason to get careless with such a nice phone. Sod's law if you stop caring, something will happen. But I must say, I'm deeply impressed by the durability of the 9900 after this incident.
    09-01-11 11:16 AM
    i would've had a stroke
    OniBerry, sg8330 and Jake Storm like this.
    09-01-11 11:19 AM
    Almost did....my chest got tight and my heart sank. I was mortified lol. My sigh of relief was just as intense. Haha bloody ****.
    09-01-11 11:20 AM
    I am getting a case. Although BlackBerrys are pretty tough I am sure if you drop it the right way you can break the screen. It is glass and I see plenty of all touch android and apple phones with cracked glass.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 11:24 AM
    I am getting a case. Although BlackBerrys are pretty tough I am sure if you drop it the right way you can break the screen. It is glass and I see plenty of all touch android and apple phones with cracked glass.

I don't doubt it. I'll probably be getting a case too. I still won't be taking any chances, especially now. I just thought it was impressive.
    09-01-11 11:36 AM
    This phone is so sweet looking, but I think about resale down the road. Best cases I have used that have protected all my BB"s from even a scratch are the Otterbox ones. I like the rubber Impact Case best. I ordered one before I bought m phone and will be without a case for a few more days.
    09-01-11 11:43 AM
    Otterbox cases are not so easy on the eyes, but I bought one and MAN I've dropped my phone like 4 times and nothing yet hahaha. Way worth it.

09-01-11 12:14 PM
    Thanks for bringing these to my attention. I'll be getting one.
    09-01-11 06:11 PM
    If I dropped my phone, I'd probably have a panic attack
    I'd hate to even scratch this beauty.

09-01-11 06:59 PM
    I was quite surprised by the Obox defender for the 9900. It'l a little bulky, but not that bad.

Do yourself a favor though, and buy an after market screen protector. The one that comes with the case is not very good imo.
    09-01-11 07:44 PM
    I've been taking very good care of my 9900 since I got it. It feels sturdy but it's such a lot of money and I've handled it much more delicately than my old 8900. I still intend to, but I'm no longer worried in the 9900's possible fragility. It's made of stern stuff.

I put it in my trousers' mobile pocket earlier, unaware that somehow the bottom of said pocket had been torn recently. It fell through on to my foot, resulting in me punting it about 7 or 8 feet into the steel pillar of a shopping cart shelter, then spinning off the side of that, and sliding front down across the tarmac a few feet. My heart skipped a beat, I can tell you.

Result. Two small grazes on the rubberised corners, and not so much as a mark elsewhere, not even on the screen after it had slid front down across the tarmac.

I'll still be handling it with care and checking pockets regularly for random tearing (seriously have no idea how that happened). This is no reason to get careless with such a nice phone. Sod's law if you stop caring, something will happen. But I must say, I'm deeply impressed by the durability of the 9900 after this incident.
    At the cost and the headache I went through to get one I would of had a heart attack
    09-01-11 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD