Um, this would carry a lot more weight if they were'nt comparing the brand new 9900 with a phone that's over a year old.
    My sentiments exactly. My Storm2 is a Moto Razr beater too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 01:39 AM
    My sentiments exactly. My Storm2 is a Moto Razr beater too

I liked my Razr at the time. But then again I liked my Startac. and who can forget classics like the phones Fujitsu and Siemens put out?
    08-15-11 02:04 AM
    1. Who cares. Touchscreen is fine and iPhone can hook up a full size BT keyboard.
    2. Don't need it and won't use it. Maybe in a couple years when others have guinea pigged it for me.
    3. Don't use social media.
    4. iMessage is the same. More people are getting iOS devices so BBM is losing popularity.
    5. 16 GB is fine for me. I don't even come close to using that. Maybe if my BB had a decent camera, I would take more pics.

iPhone 5 will likely end up dominating this next release. These 5 "reasons" why the 9900 is a "potential" iPhone 4 (over a year old) beater are pretty lame, this is just my opinion. There are so many reasons iPhone 4 is better.

With that said I wish RIM would produce a true flagship device. The 9900 doesn't cut it for me and from early rumblings, I don't sound like the only one it won't work for.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 08-15-11 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Typo
    08-15-11 02:45 AM
    Mind control? Really? Did Apple fake the moon landing too?
    You must be an Apple Fanboy. Probably have an apple on your shorts too. I doubt it has a bite taken out of it though.
    08-15-11 03:00 AM
    I liked my Razr at the time. But then again I liked my Startac. and who can forget classics like the phones Fujitsu and Siemens put out?
    Damn straight! I was older than most I knew before I bought my first cellular, and I have kept it all these years; it was a Siemens CF62T. Thing was awesome in those days, at least I thought so.

08-15-11 03:12 AM
    Damn straight! I was older than most I knew before I bought my first cellular, and I have kept it all these years; it was a Siemens CF62T. Thing was awesome in those days, at least I thought so.

Any of you ever had the Sony Z1? I loved that phone

08-15-11 03:14 AM
    My first cell phone was the Startac in 2000 with Sprint. Ahhh, the good ole' days where if you were indoors surrounded by thick enough walls, you had to stand still or you would drop calls like crazy! Wait the iPhone4 still has that problem! jk

Seriously though, I never considered the iPhone4 a benchmark in smartphones to compare phones to. It was never that good at making calls, it has a great touch screen keyboard but thats like putting lipstick on a pig, its still a pig. QWERTY keyboards are my preference and the Bold line has always had great keyboards, this new one looks awesome.

What the iPhone4 is the benchmark at is media on smartphones perhaps or the highest screen resolution that you will never notice on little phone screens? Overall though, it has been plagued with things like "antenna-gate", easily breaking, and no iPhone will ever have real keyboard which is a dealbreaker for me off the bat...
    08-15-11 04:08 AM
    Any of you ever had the Sony Z1? I loved that phone

Yep. Remember the T68? My first colour screen from memory.
    08-15-11 05:04 AM
    I think you should compare it to the iPhone 5 and the upcoming Nexus Prime and other android handsets. I have a feeling it may not look that great then as it does now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    08-15-11 06:55 AM
    I think you should compare it to the iPhone 5 and the upcoming Nexus Prime and other android handsets. I have a feeling it may not look that great then as it does now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    And how exactly would you accomplish that since they don't exist yet?

08-15-11 07:07 AM
    5) Memory. This is the largest farce of the story. While yes BB's are expandable, that's not the whole story. The iPhone 4 can install 31.8GB more applications than the 9900. Huge difference. The way BlackBerry's utilize memory is a joke IMHO.
    That again is not the whole story, underlined section is far from correct...

from App World, the user will be able to download the COD files for the app, which make up the core game logic. This download is only a few MBs in size / only consumes a very small portion of the user�s available application memory. When running the game for the first time, the game will then download all the rest of its game files, be it images, textures, audio, or whatever else. This download is done in a manner that is cost-sensitive to the user�s data plan, using WiFi only, which is especially relevant for users who are not on unlimited data plans or for users who live in regions where data rates are such that 50 MB downloads over carrier networks are not practical. The downloaded game files are then saved to the user�s regular media storage, allowing the app to be as graphically rich as it wishes, without negatively impacting the user�s available application memory space
    08-15-11 07:09 AM
    I'm still really disappointed with web browsing. On many sites, buttons are not clickable that are with an iphone. I just upgraded from my old bold to the new 9900, but I will definitely switch when the Iphone 5 comes out. I've compared the browsing on each and the iphone just blows away blackberry.

Maybe some other people have similiar problems, like you go to a website, and buttons are not clickable to continue navigating.
    08-15-11 09:09 AM
    Not a great comparison. I phone 5 comes out in month then try comparing . That's like me comparing my 2011 Lexus es 350 against my old 2009 ES?

08-15-11 09:18 AM
    Not a great comparison. I phone 5 comes out in month then try comparing . That's like me comparing my 2011 Lexus es 350 against my old 2009 ES?

Web browsing is far superior on the Iphone 4 than the bold 9900. Is that a fair comparison? Also, I simply said when the iphone 5 comes out I will definitely switch, that's all. I need better browsing which blackberry is still unable to offer in their models and Apple is.
    08-15-11 09:22 AM
    Web browsing is far superior on the Iphone 4 than the bold 9900. Is that a fair comparison? Also, I simply said when the iphone 5 comes out I will definitely switch, that's all. I need better browsing which blackberry is still unable to offer in their models and Apple is.
    Superior? Can you download/upload anything trough the browser as you would expect from a computer?
    Can you browse offline? Can you send a link/webpage to facebook/twitter directly from the browser?

08-15-11 09:46 AM
    I would think the new iPhone would be out before the holiday season though, but if you really think about it, what marketing gimmick could they add that isn't already on the iPhone4? Rumor has it Sony is making the camera for it? Or it will have a circular screen instead of a rectangle? Or 3D hologram pictures or videos? (Evo 3D gimmick)A gyroscope? A smartcover? No wait, the last 2 were gimmicks of the iPad2!!!

The only thing I can see in the iPhone5 is a slight upgrade in tech specs, but being the iPhone4 has overall hardware ahead of its time, I think the improvements there would be minimal at this point. It will still probably have the same brick design, with one square button, a touchscreen only with no QWERTY keyboard, and the closed nickel and diming itunes format that locks you into their mostly good ecosystem. In other words, pretty much the same device for the last 5 years, with slight tech spec improvements, but few meaningful or practical feature improvements.

I do agree with one major point with the OP though, Bold QWERTY keyboards are flat out awesome...
    It will most likely have the A5 CPU that is in the iPad 2. A new celllular radio seems likely and the Verizon version will probably be a world phone. It will of course ship with iOS 5.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a better camera and possibly even 1080p video.
    08-15-11 09:56 AM
    Not even close actually. What are you saying is comparing the 9900 to the 9000... What the OP is doing is comparing the latest offering from RIM to the latest offering of Apple... There is nothing wrong with that.

I am sure people are going to compare the iPhone 5 to the 9900, but why do that when QNX phones are coming out Q1 next year?? etc etc.

The comparison is valid, it is using the latest offerings of two companies. You can not compare something that is not even out yet.
    Gebo likes this.
    08-15-11 10:02 AM
    Those are some good reasons. There are plenty of reasons why each is an awesome phone. These types of articles are pure troll-bait. I admire the iPhone 4 and the Bold 9900 for their design and awesomeness.

I'm all for the BB fanboy stuff, but when it comes down to putting down another phone which clearly many people love...its just not my cup of tea.

Let's hope they compete and innovate so that we all can have great devices
    01itr likes this.
    08-15-11 10:31 AM
    Those are some good reasons. There are plenty of reasons why each is an awesome phone. These types of articles are pure troll-bait. I admire the iPhone 4 and the Bold 9900 for their design and awesomeness.

I'm all for the BB fanboy stuff, but when it comes down to putting down another phone which clearly many people love...its just not my cup of tea.

Let's hope they compete and innovate so that we all can have great devices
    I hate to say it but I think the iPhone 5 will offer a lot more than the current OS7 devices. iOS 5 is actually looking pretty nice... It makes me mad that RIM can't wake up and start coming out with this stuff. My last hope is QNX, if there is nothing innovative when they announce the QNX phone, I'm done.
    08-15-11 12:04 PM

No, it's like comparing your 2011 Lexus ES 350 to a 2013 Toyota Camry. :P
    01itr likes this.
    08-15-11 12:39 PM
    It will most likely have the A5 CPU that is in the iPad 2. A new celllular radio seems likely and the Verizon version will probably be a world phone. It will of course ship with iOS 5.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a better camera and possibly even 1080p video.
    No major breakthroughs there, also if LoopInsight is correct, it will not come out next month as everyone believes it will. The rumors going around that it will have a much improved camera made by Sony.

I figure the new iPhone has to come out before December though, couldn't imagine delaying it until 2012.
    08-15-11 02:25 PM
    The 9900 looks like a really amazing phone! The iPhone 4 is also a really amazing phone! Thats all there is too it people! Why Hate!
    01itr likes this.
    08-15-11 07:40 PM
    Not even close actually. What are you saying is comparing the 9900 to the 9000... What the OP is doing is comparing the latest offering from RIM to the latest offering of Apple... There is nothing wrong with that.

I am sure people are going to compare the iPhone 5 to the 9900, but why do that when QNX phones are coming out Q1 next year?? etc etc.

The comparison is valid, it is using the latest offerings of two companies. You can not compare something that is not even out yet.
    I will be surprised if the the QNX comes out in Q1.
    08-15-11 08:14 PM
    Used to be a huge fan of bb's qwerty keyboard when I had the bold 9000 (which was my first bb) but after owning the 9800 for a while now, that feeling wore off so I don't mind ditching the large keyboard and also cannot see myself going back to a smaller screen so in that case its either the 9810 or the 9860.

08-15-11 09:28 PM
    Um, this would carry a lot more weight if they were'nt comparing the brand new 9900 with a phone that's over a year old.
    a whole year?!
    08-15-11 09:37 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD