It's been more than a year since Research in Motion (TSX:RIM) released its last offering, the Torch 9800, a phone that combined a QWERTY keyboard with a sliding multi-touch screen display.

The Torch was slow out of the gate, but ultimately went on to become the sixth best selling smart phone in the US last year.

Released last week, the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is the most anticipated new RIM phone in years. The new Bold, which features a new operating system, the BlackBerry OS 7, boasts near-field-communication, Wi-Fi and micro-USB connectivity and an improved camera. Early reviews of the Bold 9900 are some of the most positive the company has received in years.

Richard Melville, Managing Editor of top UK mobile site FoneHome thinks the new Blackberry Bold is good. Good enough, in fact, to challenge the current heavyweight champ of the smartphone world, the iPhone 4. Melville sees five distinct reasons this could happen.

It�s clear the Apple iPhone 4 remains the benchmark for rival smartphones to reach and this year has seen some heavyweight handsets make the grade. RIM is hoping its new upcoming BlackBerry Bold 9900 can join this esteemed crowd but does it have the firepower and that something different to kick the iPhone 4 into touch?

Looking at the specs, the 9900 Bold ranks as the most powerful BlackBerry smartphone yet, sporting a 1.2GHz processor, a five megapixel snapper and NFC voodoo. But let�s see what its got to get one over on Apple�s Jesus phone.

1. QWERTY keyboard
    Typing on the iPhone 4�s virtual keyboard isn�t a terrible experience by any stretch of the imagination but nothing matches the speed and accuracy of a physical keyboard. The QWERTYs on BlackBerry devices, especially the Bold models, have always been top notch, offering ridge buttons and a roomy design. Expect the same on the 9900 and, of course, the luxury of a touchscreen to augment the mechanised buttons.

2. Near Field Communications
    NFC looks like this year�s mobile buzz technology. The iPhone 4 doesn�t have it and there�s even rumours flying around that its successor, the iPhone 5, won�t feature this contactless tech. The Bold 9900 however ships with an NFC chip already built-in, so its ready for a swiping and tagging and, of course, touchless payments from the off.

3. Social Networking
    News that the next iOS 5 software update for iPhone better integrates Twitter into its UI got a cheer from Apple fans when it was announced but BlackBerry�s 7OS ties in your disparate social networking traffic far more efficiently. Facebook, Twitter, RSS feeds, BBM, emails and text are all gathered under one roof for easy access.

4. BlackBerry Messenger
    RIM�s own IM service, BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), has proved immensely popular and the de facto way for Berry devices to talk to each other. Yes, Apple is introducing its own service on the iOS 5 software upgrade due in the Autumn, but BBM is the original and proven and, apparently, down with the kids.

5. Storage
    The iPhone 4 comes in 16GB and 32GB models which for most people is enough capacity to stockpile all your apps and multimedia gubbins. However there�s no option to increase the amount should you reach maximum capacity. The Bold 9900 may only pack 8GB but it features a microSD card slot so you can boost the storage beyond the iPhone 4. Slot home a 32GB card and you will have a whopping 40GB at your disposal. Bosh.
    08-14-11 07:55 PM
    Um, this would carry a lot more weight if they were'nt comparing the brand new 9900 with a phone that's over a year old.
    08-14-11 08:07 PM
    i just want to make 1 point here, the iphone 4 is over 1 year old right now. it would be better to compare the iphone 5 which is due probably within 1 month.

The 9900 is the best BB to date though, until the 9810 comes out perhaps
    aNYthing24 likes this.
    08-14-11 08:07 PM
    Well, the iPhone 5 is mentioned as not competing for NFC and expandable memory, so a few items are covered. Beside that, if you like a physical keybaors ANY BlackBerry beats an iPhone. Seems like the article is okay in my humble opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 08:21 PM
    How do you compare it to a phone that doesn't even exist yet? That's like saying when the Iphone5 is released we should compare it to a future QNX phone. Besides the article did mention the Iphone5 when writing about the advantage of bbm.
    01itr likes this.
    08-14-11 08:23 PM
    if you like a physical keybaors ANY BlackBerry beats an iPhone.
    Using your logic, any phone with a keyboard beats an iPhone.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-14-11 08:26 PM
    1. QWERTY keyboard
    I agree, it is the best around, but many folks like the touch screen and a larger screen.

The Evil AT&T is rumored to be disabling this feature, so it may become a non-player for many users.

3. Social Networking
    4. BlackBerry Messenger

The BBs have always been best with BBM, SMS and emails.
    But with Facebook and Apple getting into the game with their own apps
    this may cut into BBMs share.

5. Storage
    Most modern smart phones have this same option.

Over all the 9900 is a step, small step, in the right direction but not enough
    to tip the scales with most IPhone and Androind users.

I feel that Droid users will grow tired of their phones and the system as it is all over the place and on so many hand sets.
    IPhone users are different and will most likely remain loyal to Steve until Steve is no more.

Tim
    08-14-11 08:29 PM
    ok how is BBM an advantage over the new iOS messaging? and im serious here. If you dont have a BB you dont have BBM, same with iOS messenger. I find both those drawbacks very negative for both sides and shouldnt even be included when comparing the platforms really.
    08-14-11 08:33 PM
    The Evil AT&T is rumored to be disabling this feature, so it may become a non-player for many users.
    You're assuming AT&T are going to actually release these phones.

(Sorry, that was cruel!)
    08-14-11 08:39 PM
    The qwerty keyboard is a huge advantage. Everything else mentioned is insignificant.
    08-14-11 08:40 PM
    As far as carrying more weight...the Iphone 4 is the current phone being sold by Apple and since nobody knows for sure when the Iphone5 will actually be available I think it's a very fair comparison. If you want to currently buy a phone these are your choices. The advantages of the Bold 9900 that the article mentions are likely still going to apply versus the Iphone 5.
    08-14-11 08:41 PM
    This article is a joke. The author is even more of a joke. Reminds me of American journalism.

It's a joke because 1) he's comparing a 14 month old phone to a brand new one 2) comparing full touchscreen to one with touch & keyboard and we all know they appeal to two completely different demographics. The comparison at it's most simple level is flawed for these two reasons.

1) Keyboard. Wow what a thought. One has one and the other doesn't. Two completely different form factor devices.

2)Yes the 9900 has NFC. The i4 is 14 months old, a fair comparison would be with the new iPhone.

3) I believe this is subjective, and I remember TechRadar's review saying there wasn't much integration. Either way I don't think there's a clear winner here.

4) BBM. Yep BBM is great. But so is Kik Messenger, you know the one RIM removed from Appworld because it was made by a former employee and was too much like BBM. Anyhow, yes BBM is better than Kik, albeit not by much. However, don't forget about iMessage. Once it's released on iOS5 it will be used by more people than BBM is...

5) Memory. This is the largest farce of the story. While yes BB's are expandable, that's not the whole story. The iPhone 4 can install 31.8GB more applications than the 9900. Huge difference. The way BlackBerry's utilize memory is a joke IMHO.

The BlackBerry 9900 is a great device, best BlackBerry ever released. It hold it's own, in it's own demographic. It shouldn't be compared to an all touch phone in such a manner. And it surely shouldn't be compared to a phone that's 14 months old. This is bad journalism. And how about sales? I bet you in no market on earth or all of them combined will the 9900 sell 1.7 million devices in it's first 3 days of availability.
    08-14-11 08:42 PM
    An earlier report claiming Apple intends to hold a media event on September 7th to unveil new iPods or even its highly anticipated iPhone 5 are mistaken, Jim Dalrymple of*The Loop reported on Friday afternoon. With a very solid track record to his credit, Dalrymple says his sources indicate that Apple will not hold any event or unveil a next-generation iPhone on that date. No information was provided in terms of when Apple�s customary September event might take place, however a separate report from TiPb suggests Apple�s next iPhone � be it the �iPhone 4S� or the iPhone 5 � will hit the market on October 7th. TiPb also reports that Apple�s third-generation iPad 3 will not launch at the same time as the next-gen iPhone, but rather next spring, in line with Apple�s traditional annual iPad release schedule.

Let's keep the discussion to current devices shall we...if not we would then have to bring in QNX phones into the discussion.

As for BBM....Thanks to the BerryReview team who attended the hackathon, we were able to see and read some great and interesting information regarding the BlackBerry Messenger platform. It�s good to know that the BlackBerry Messenger is still thriving. At the NYC Hackathon Tyler Lessard, VP of BlackBerry Alliances & Developer Relations, shared some numbers.*Check it out�

45 Million active users worldwide
    Over 5.2 million BBM groups created
    Growing by over 2 million new users monthly
    70% use it daily to communicate with friends
    Billions of messages sent each day
    BBM is the largest mobile social network for BlackBerry users
    Now that�s really something to be proud of. BlackBerry is still thriving and with BlackBerry support and numerous BlackBerry blogs, more new BlackBerry users can learn how to get the most from their device, including the BlackBerry Messenger.
    [via: BerryReview]
    08-14-11 09:03 PM
    As far as carrying more weight...the Iphone 4 is the current phone being sold by Apple and since nobody knows for sure when the Iphone5 will actually be available I think it's a very fair comparison. If you want to currently buy a phone these are your choices. The advantages of the Bold 9900 that the article mentions are likely still going to apply versus the Iphone 5.
    Not if you're on AT&T. Both phones aren't out yet if I wanted to buy a phone on AT&T.
    08-14-11 09:08 PM
    Seriously? The iphone 4 came out last year and this is still a DEBATE? I'm all for blackberry. But this is a foolish argument. "Yea.. 2011's flagship really smokes your 2010 flagship.. take that Steve!" How does that sound? I rest my case. If it works for you who cares which phone is better. This is petty imho

08-14-11 09:16 PM
    08-14-11 09:23 PM
    ok how is BBM an advantage over the new iOS messaging? and im serious here. If you dont have a BB you dont have BBM, same with iOS messenger. I find both those drawbacks very negative for both sides and shouldnt even be included when comparing the platforms really.
    Agreed...Apple and BB should call it a draw and cross platform their messaging systems.
    08-14-11 09:43 PM
    This article is much more fair and unbiased than many articles I've seen written about RIM and blackberry products recently. At least the author notes some areas that Iphone 5 might improve on and be more competitive.
    08-14-11 09:51 PM
    Meh, at least we're beating some form of major active competition (yes, the iPhone 4 is still actively purchased).

And yes, 'iOS Messaging' will probably take off because all of the pretentious hipsters that believe the iPhone is so great merely because of the style of the device, and because it has a grey fruit on it. There's more of them than there are of BlackBerry fans.
    08-14-11 09:53 PM
    It's articles like these that make me think that the iPhone scares some people based on its sheer popularity.
    08-14-11 09:58 PM
    I don't support any company as heavily vested in mind control, stealing rights, and stealing money like Apple.

I will stick with RIM thanks.

Gebo likes this.
    08-14-11 09:59 PM
    I don't support any company as heavily vested in mind control, stealing rights, and stealing money like Apple.
    Mind control? Really? Did Apple fake the moon landing too?
    Wretch 12, avt123 and lssanjose like this.
    08-14-11 10:27 PM
    Mind control? Really? Did Apple fake the moon landing too?
    Well, actually it was Pixar but I believe Steve was involved in the matter.

As for the comparison? You're right its Apple's 14 month old phone and the new one isn't out yet. But it still is the bench mark for smartphones (though not my preferance) so the two are going to be compaired to on another until the next iPhone is out. Its going to happen constantly.

08-14-11 10:48 PM
    A fairer comparison would be with the Samsung Galaxy S II. That's a little old too, but it'd be fairer.
    08-14-11 10:52 PM
    Its not really fair to compare tech specs of one phone thats over a year old to another phone that is just coming out now. And even with that, the iPhone still has better screen resolution. I know they are little screens that hardly matter to the naked eye, but lets not start measuring who's d!<k is bigger...

Also BBM or iM, or whatever Apple will call their messaging is also unfair since its also not integrated into their phones yet.

As for the iPhone5 though or whatever the next iPhone will be called, its already been ruled out for a September release by the folks over at LoopInsight (Apple's fansite, like a poor man's Crackberry).

I would think the new iPhone would be out before the holiday season though, but if you really think about it, what marketing gimmick could they add that isn't already on the iPhone4? Rumor has it Sony is making the camera for it? Or it will have a circular screen instead of a rectangle? Or 3D hologram pictures or videos? (Evo 3D gimmick)A gyroscope? A smartcover? No wait, the last 2 were gimmicks of the iPad2!!!

The only thing I can see in the iPhone5 is a slight upgrade in tech specs, but being the iPhone4 has overall hardware ahead of its time, I think the improvements there would be minimal at this point. It will still probably have the same brick design, with one square button, a touchscreen only with no QWERTY keyboard, and the closed nickel and diming itunes format that locks you into their mostly good ecosystem. In other words, pretty much the same device for the last 5 years, with slight tech spec improvements, but few meaningful or practical feature improvements.

I do agree with one major point with the OP though, Bold QWERTY keyboards are flat out awesome...
    Last edited by jthep; 08-14-11 at 11:36 PM.
    Gebo likes this.
    08-14-11 11:32 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD