Hi I plan on getting the Bold 9900 or 9930 depending on which one will be available in the Middle East market, this will be my first Blackberry so I have a few questions:

How do people who get sim free/unlocked/contract free Blackberrys update their OS ?

The news on Crackberry announce the OS updates but only specific to mobile networks.

Is it possible to compose HTML or Rich Text emails using BB ? The ones that I have tried so far dont seem to support this feature.

Thanks in advance.
    05-15-11 12:57 PM
    Hi I plan on getting the Bold 9900 or 9930 depending on which one will be available in the Middle East market, this will be my first Blackberry so I have a few questions:

How do people who get sim free/unlocked/contract free Blackberrys update their OS ?

The news on Crackberry announce the OS updates but only specific to mobile networks.

Is it possible to compose HTML or Rich Text emails using BB ? The ones that I have tried so far dont seem to support this feature.

Thanks in advance.
    1. BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS)
    1. BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry
    1. read this article and you will master the art of installing OS in any BB.
    2. First article will answer this question too (tip: delete vendor.xml)
    3. No RIM lie that BB is still the email device..it's test based email device... i am waiting for email editor program that allows bold/ italic/ highlighter/ font colour/ etc .. rich text or html emails
    Last edited by infinus; 05-15-11 at 01:16 PM.
    Rargen likes this.
    05-15-11 01:12 PM
    Thx infinus.

I didnt think it would be as easy as deleting an xml file, so that means that I can download any vendors OS ? (great, if that's the case)

Why does Blackberry let each network to develop its own version of OS ? (not really an important question, just curious)

Thanks.
    05-15-11 01:33 PM
    Thx infinus.

I didnt think it would be as easy as deleting an xml file, so that means that I can download any vendors OS ? (great, if that's the case)

Why does Blackberry let each network to develop its own version of OS ? (not really an important question, just curious)

Thanks.
    RIM makes the OS, the networks put their logos and apps on it and then distribute it.
    05-15-11 01:47 PM
    Thx infinus.

Thanks.
    Yes you can load any OS release on your BlackBerry. The only thing you should do is to delete the vendor file to remove any restrictions. (otherwise it may not work) I once loaded with the vendor file and nothing happen and worked... but many have issues with it.

OS is build by RIM and as long as the version your are downloading is made for your device you will be fine.
    05-15-11 03:24 PM
    For your information, I think, if you are new to BlackBerry and your are going for this new Bold, you should NOT load any leak software OR go for Beta testing of any software. I used my first Blackberry with ONLY official software and OS for a year or so then after I am comfortable with RIM's BBs, I went for crazy stuff like, shrinking OS, loading leaked OS, joining BlackBerry Beta Zone, etc, etc.

IMO 9900 will be one of the best Bolds and I don't think you will need to load a leak OS for a looong time.
    05-15-11 03:29 PM
    For your information, I think, if you are new to BlackBerry and your are going for this new Bold, you should NOT load any leak software OR go for Beta testing of any software. I used my first Blackberry with ONLY official software and OS for a year or so then after I am comfortable with RIM's BBs, I went for crazy stuff like, shrinking OS, loading leaked OS, joining BlackBerry Beta Zone, etc, etc.

IMO 9900 will be one of the best Bolds and I don't think you will need to load a leak OS for a looong time.
    I totally agree to what mes-ca is saying. Only play with OSes if you're confident enough.

Second, welcome to the Blackberry world. It's going to be a fun ride! (as soon as they release those phones, of course!)
    05-15-11 09:53 PM
    I'm in the same boat as Rargen! I'm on AT&T, and have an iPhone 3GS, but I'm tired of the whole iPhone craze, and am really liking what RIM has done with this Bold! Can't wait till it comes out!
    05-15-11 10:02 PM

Thanks mss-ca, I'm just not sure how to do a network OS update without actually buying the phone from the network.
    I'll read the Crackberry guides that infinus linked to.

I totally agree to what mes-ca is saying. Only play with OSes if you're confident enough.

Second, welcome to the Blackberry world. It's going to be a fun ride! (as soon as they release those phones, of course!)
    Thanks for the welcome jinxednuance!

Looking forward to the release of the BB9900/9930, I was trying out my friend's BB over the weekend and even though it was a couple of years old (I think its a Curve, but not sure which one), it seemed more fluid than my current Nokia.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone know what the current screen resolution (in dpi) of the latest pre-9900 Bold is?

And does the current BB OS (6.x I think) thread email/SMS messages like Apple's iOS does ?
    05-15-11 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD