9900 is a beautiful piece of machinery. It stands out and has it's own individuality.

Essentially, feels like the old days 9000 but adds more glamour and functionality. And I still can't get use to the touch screen and i'm using the touch pad due to the old habit, lol. Another feature I can't get use to is the thinness - I have this creepy feeling that i will break it every time i'm pulling it out of the holster!
    It is my first BB which is non-branded and clean.
    There are two minor bugs which I believe will be removed in a future update: touch pad doesn't always moves the panels when on desktop/home; and email setup when clicked/tapped doesn't respond. Everything is working well though, emails, browser, etc.
    The menu button is way too soft when clicked, compared to the other three but I think that is due to bad assembly. No visual problems though, everything looks perfect. And I'm not going to return it until it's working; it's still has a 2yrs of warranty left so no worries about it.

Overall: i'm happy and proud of my choice, it is a huge upgrade from 8520.
    Way to go RIM!
    09-01-11 04:02 PM
    I have this creepy feeling that i will break it every time i'm pulling it out of the holster!
    That's why I got rid of that pouch and got a nice hard plastic case for it.

This way you won't have to take it out everytime you get a call which might give it a scratch or so like one of the members here had.
    09-01-11 04:09 PM
    That's why I got rid of that pouch and got a nice hard plastic case for it.

This way you won't have to take it out everytime you get a call which might give it a scratch or so like one of the members here had.

It seems that I am the opposite to the majority here regarding cases. I have the 9900 and won't be getting a case for it. Yes accidents do happen. I have tripped and scratched a 1 year old phone before. (Once in 25 years).

Surely having a fantastic looking phone with a case on it is like putting a bumper car rail all the way round a Ferrari or a cloak on Beyonce.

*If people do not care about the appearance of the new Bold it should have a case for protection.

**If some Bold owners are innately clumsy. Get a case.
    09-01-11 04:46 PM
    Pouch works just fine.
    09-01-11 05:52 PM
    I just got the phone and it is gorgeous! I cant stop touching it and cant wait to play with it. They didnt pack a SIM card in my box, so I have to go to the store tomorrow and pick one up tomorrow.
    09-01-11 06:25 PM
    I just got the phone and it is gorgeous! I cant stop touching it and cant wait to play with it. They didnt pack a SIM card in my box, so I have to go to the store tomorrow and pick one up tomorrow.
    So I guess you figured out your earlier dilemma??? Or did you end up paying full retail??? It is a nice phone though...WAAAAAY better than the X!
    09-01-11 06:55 PM
    I use the holster provided with the device. I carry insurance so its not really a big deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 08:30 PM
    Putting in the holster is ok for me, only thing i hate is no proper place to pull it out. Pulling at L/R side will trigger the volume key. Pulling at the speaker side is not easy because the back cover is angled.

I emphasize more on practicality of this phone. I must admit i bought the wrong phone, because the most important reason I bought BB is to use lotus notes email. I am stuck here because the BES of the company i work won't set this up for low rank employee like me (i thought there is way around it but sadly no); and Lotus Traveler is only available to WM6, Andriod, Apple & Nokia EXCEPT for BB @#$%^xx... The only choice i have is Wireless Mail which works almost perfectly, but it is not free.

The search function of BB is not good enough. If i type "AABB", it won't show result of "A ABB", "AA BB" or "AAB B" ; which an old WM6 phone can do that (in contact list only).

The keyboard is good, even my fat finger can use it.
    I like physical key for call, option, back, escape. I just hate software keys.

Trackpad looks nice and neat, but no way comparable to dpad especially at accurate cursor to cursor move, playing games or scrolling a long list/pages. However still better than many other phones that do not even have one.
    The tackpad is too close to T and Y keys, my thumb always rub on these 2 keys.

Screen is much better than 9810. I compared them side by side, 9900 looks crystal clear. I can read easily under sun light at 50% brightness.

Phone jack location is fine with me because my headphone has angled jack. However this may irritate users with straight jack.

BB supports flac natively, which is a big + to me. Not supporting APE but not a big problem, APE converted to flac is ok. Not sure what DAC is being used, but it sounds good with headphone.

Camera, well i use it quite often but i don't have high demand for that so non AF is still ok to me until i need to take close picture (rarely). For people who has demand on AF camera, this might be a big -

The USB/charging location is not quite convenient. It is still better than 9810 which is at lower side and make answering call during charging difficult (to hold at). I also prefer if it is higher a bit where i do not need to pull it out halfway from the holster.

Lock button is good, it won't be easily triggered like 9810.

Build quality is good. The phone is responsive. I just need to adjust myself to get use to the trackpad and some inconvenient function/interface of the phone. It looks like BB has less options to customize the phone, and App can't help very much on it.

This is my first BB phone
    Last edited by iieeann; 09-01-11 at 10:31 PM.
    09-01-11 10:24 PM
    9900 is a beautiful piece of machinery. It stands out and has it's own individuality.

Essentially, feels like the old days 9000 but adds more glamour and functionality. And I still can't get use to the touch screen and i'm using the touch pad due to the old habit, lol. Another feature I can't get use to is the thinness - I have this creepy feeling that i will break it every time i'm pulling it out of the holster!
    It is my first BB which is non-branded and clean.
    There are two minor bugs which I believe will be removed in a future update: touch pad doesn't always moves the panels when on desktop/home; and email setup when clicked/tapped doesn't respond. Everything is working well though, emails, browser, etc.
    The menu button is way too soft when clicked, compared to the other three but I think that is due to bad assembly. No visual problems though, everything looks perfect. And I'm not going to return it until it's working; it's still has a 2yrs of warranty left so no worries about it.

Overall: i'm happy and proud of my choice, it is a huge upgrade from 8520.
    Way to go RIM!

You mentioned the trackpad doesn't always move when moving the panels. Does this also happen when moving between icons? If so, I would suggest returning it because this happened to me and it got unbearable! It would take a lot of effort just to scroll through icons. New one is fine

09-01-11 11:35 PM
    You mentioned the trackpad doesn't always move when moving the panels. Does this also happen when moving between icons? If so, I would suggest returning it because this happened to me and it got unbearable! It would take a lot of effort just to scroll through icons. New one is fine

Actually, it moves through the icons perfectly. It's only when you're on the last icon on the panel and you want to move to the next panel - it always takes two scrolls(or more can't say exactly).
    09-02-11 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD