I was always under the impression that having WiFi on your BlackBerry was better as it would be easier for the phone get FB, BBM, Twitter, etc. updates while connected to WiFi due to the increased speed of WiFi meaning the phone wouldn't have to work so much to retrieve the data...

And so..I have always had my WiFi on....

Now with this 9900..I have tried every OS released till date and they all gave more or less the same battery life..I had to recharge twice a day! I hated this phone so much for that otherwise everything else is awesome about it......

Today, I don't know why, but I just tried turning WiFi Off and I immediately noticed the huge improvement in battery drainage!! before I had a discharge rate of 4-6% on idle while doing nothing with the phone and 12-20% while using it heavily.....

Now with WiFi off....I am getting 1% on idle!!!!

Didn't try it with full usage yet but I am 100% certain it will be night and day different...

If you have WiFi on all the time like me....try this.......it will breathe in new life into your 9900/9930

Right now I am running OS 7.1.0.428 which has a decent radio signal, no glitches, and now I can see good battery life :d
    Last edited by StrongBB; 06-19-12 at 02:25 AM.
    06-19-12 02:21 AM
    My battery last longer when I am using wifi at home. I disable it whenever I go out though.
    jaydee5799 and Spencerdl like this.
    06-19-12 02:32 AM
    My battery last longer when I am using wifi at home. I disable it whenever I go out though.
    strange....even at home....with WiFi on....the battery drainage is unbelievable for me
    06-19-12 02:35 AM
    I leave my WiFi on all of the time, regardless of where I am. Much of the day I'm going from client to client - some with WiFi and some without. I still get 14-20 hours of battery life with moderate use.
    06-19-12 03:07 AM
    i also have better battery life when wifi is on

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-19-12 03:38 AM
    Hi guys can you say what software version are you using? im talking to all of you saying your battery life is awesome.
    06-19-12 05:47 AM
    Hi guys can you say what software version are you using? im talking to all of you saying your battery life is awesome.
    .428 on Voda UK

Idles with 5 bars of 3G and Wifi @ 0.6% according to MeterBerry.
    06-19-12 05:55 AM
    My last cycle I got 2.5 days before I ran out of juice in my battery - I'm running 7.1.0.391 (official Rogers version), but I was getting similar battery life when on 7.0. I also use the auto on/off feature (turn off at 2315 and on at 0630 weekdays and 2345 off and 1130 on on weekends, though I usually simply turn the phone on earlier because often I'm up earlier).

Sometimes I use WiFi at home, sometimes I don't - I don't really notice a difference in my battery life. I tend to leave it either on exclusive 2G or H+ (and not the mixed channel), which tends to help the battery life - it takes a bit more time to manually switch, but it is what it is, and a little extra personal effort to avoid daily charging is worth it IMO.

JB
    06-19-12 06:26 AM
    ^This is absolutely how it works. No wi-fi near, the battery will drain unless you turn off wi-fi.
    wolfee48, flash24 and Spencerdl like this.
    06-19-12 06:27 AM
    I have an app tha kicks ofc the wifi if im not in range of one but i dont see any difference whether its on or not with regatds to battery life . Heck, in my office if im not on our wifi i dont get anything coming through because of the building.
    deezy87 likes this.
    06-19-12 06:27 AM
    I get better battery life using WiFi because I live in a rural area where the cell coverage is terrible. I use the SmartWiFi app to automatically turn WiFi on for me when I get to the office and when I get home.
    06-19-12 09:34 AM
    Best thing for me that saved battery was to reduce brightness of screen. it's a bit different at first, but trust me you get used to it and it saves a lot of battery life.
    06-19-12 08:55 PM
    I find that the mobile network will drain your battery more even in a great area with 5 bars than just being connected to WiFi.
    06-20-12 01:09 AM
    I was always under the impression that having WiFi on your BlackBerry was better as it would be easier for the phone get FB, BBM, Twitter, etc. updates while connected to WiFi due to the increased speed of WiFi meaning the phone wouldn't have to work so much to retrieve the data...

And so..I have always had my WiFi on....

Now with this 9900..I have tried every OS released till date and they all gave more or less the same battery life..I had to recharge twice a day! I hated this phone so much for that otherwise everything else is awesome about it......

Today, I don't know why, but I just tried turning WiFi Off and I immediately noticed the huge improvement in battery drainage!! before I had a discharge rate of 4-6% on idle while doing nothing with the phone and 12-20% while using it heavily.....

Now with WiFi off....I am getting 1% on idle!!!!

Didn't try it with full usage yet but I am 100% certain it will be night and day different...

If you have WiFi on all the time like me....try this.......it will breathe in new life into your 9900/9930

Right now I am running OS 7.1.0.428 which has a decent radio signal, no glitches, and now I can see good battery life :d

I have been using S4BB's Smart WiFi app for a long while. It turns on my WiFi only when I'm at home, the office, and may favorite pub. I've done some comparisons and am confident that I'm saving 10-15% battery life at the end of the day. Results vary slightly between OS's. I'm currently on .342 and lovin' it. I'm a heavy user, and with the Battery Saver option permanently on, I'm running at about 2.5% to 4% per hour -- depending on my activity. ~ecm
    Last edited by Elessar.cm; 06-20-12 at 06:48 AM.
    06-20-12 06:45 AM
    i also found that wifi and bluetooth drain my battery. i have turn off the wifi, bluetooth and gps. the iphone has the same proplem wifi, bluetooth apps running in the backround. i just wish i could have the bluetooth running for my car.
    i also use internet radio on the way to work which is also a drian, i have to make sue to close it an not just back out
    06-23-12 08:42 PM
    I don't understand why someone would have a smartphone and turn off wi-fi, bluetooth and gps. If you drive a car and take your phone with you don't you NEED gps, bluetooth for a headset and wi_fi when you get to work???? (Or if you're like me, no wi-fi at work) So by all means turn those things off but what is the joy of owning a smartphone if you can't turn those things ON????

Plug the phone into a car charger and use the BT. It won't work if you use public transport, of course; I understand that. Swap batteries during the day maybe, or get one of the new extended batteries. I charge at my desk. I understand it may not be possible for everyone.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    06-24-12 05:08 AM
    Does it matter if I turn off gps? I can't get a full days worth of battery life. I never use wifi or bluetooth. My screen is at 20%. I had a 9700. Anyone that had that phone knows the battery for it was a beast.
    06-26-12 09:29 PM
    If I have my phone on edge, with bluetooth off and wifi off, and no gps it lasts for a couple of days
    06-26-12 11:48 PM
    I have an app tha kicks ofc the wifi if im not in range of one but i dont see any difference whether its on or not with regatds to battery life . Heck, in my office if im not on our wifi i dont get anything coming through because of the building.

There is an app called "SmartWIFI". It remembers what cell towers are available when you are connected to your WiFi hotspots and when switches your WiFi on and off automatically.

Eg: I'm at home and connected to my Wifi. I get in my car and drive beyond the range of the towers associated with my home WiFi and it turns my Wifi off automatic. The reverse is also true. When I approach my home in the car it turns my WiFi back on and when I walk in the door my WiFi is already connected.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-27-12 03:01 PM
    I think the main battery drain is your signal strenght. If you have too much variation in your signal (and this is a 9900 issue) it is worst for your battery. If you stay in a good reception place all the time, you will live for 24h ...even with wifi and bluetooth on.
    06-27-12 03:24 PM
    there is an app (wifi manager i believe) that once setup, itll turn on your wifi when you come home, and turn it off when you leave. pretty dope. because i always forget to turn it off, and it definitely drains your battery faster if its on.

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    SK122387 likes this.
    06-27-12 09:58 PM
    my battery does not drain while using wifi at work and at home. the second i leave the wifi zones, i turn off wifi.
    06-28-12 07:44 AM
    my battery does not drain while using wifi at work and at home. the second i leave the wifi zones, i turn off wifi.
    i used to use this best practice, but i would sometimes forget when i was in a rush or something. wifi manager does the work for me

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-29-12 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD