I'm currently debating whether to get rid of my torch for the 9900 or not. I've read the reviews and it sounds awesome, but I'd really like to know how crackberry users (people I respect greatly) are feeling about the 9900 please. Do you miss the larger screen at all? Does the processor make a huge difference? Keyboard? Anything else... Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 01:09 PM
    That's what I plan to do. If I don't hear anything from AT&T anytime soon, though, I may have to abandon them for Verizon...
    08-12-11 01:11 PM
    That's what I plan to do. If I don't hear anything from AT&T anytime soon, though, I may have to abandon them for Verizon...
    Hope the wait isn't too long. I'm on Rogers, and given the first QNX might be out Q1 2012, I don't want to blow my upgrade unless it's noticably better then Torch 1 (which I've really liked)

Cheers

08-12-11 01:14 PM
    I don't think I want the Torch 2 or 9860. The screens are huge, but I want the 9900.

I'm on ATT Online Chat. I'm telling them that VZW, Sprint, and T-Mobile are releasing the 9900 in August, and that I'm unhappy with ATT for not releasing it.
    08-12-11 01:14 PM
    I am also going to switch from a Torch to this Bold, but as stated previously by BigNL I don't want it if QNX phones are going to be released around the corner.

08-12-11 02:07 PM
    I am on the fence as well. I am gonna pull out my 9000 to compare the two. I am leaning towards the 9900 though. ATT better hurry up! I am not jumping ship, I will wait, I am grandfarthered with unlimited everything.
    08-12-11 03:39 PM
    hey,
    i just switched from the torch to the bold. the main reason was that cause i had to buy the phone outright, i don't really enjoy paying for the same exact phone with a bit more speed. I do LOVE the torch screen and the aspect of having both a keyboard/on screen keyboard, but so far (well it's only been 40 minutes) my new bold is quite awesome. it's fast, vibrant, and works like a charm.

I also felt i was getting more for my money with the new bold, it's at least different than the torch.
    08-12-11 03:53 PM
    I just switched. Faster, and the keyboard is SO much better. Best kbd I have used. And the screen when compared isn't that much different in size. Like the landscape look better.
    08-12-11 04:50 PM
    I don't think I want the Torch 2 or 9860. The screens are huge, but I want the 9900.

I'm on ATT Online Chat. I'm telling them that VZW, Sprint, and T-Mobile are releasing the 9900 in August, and that I'm unhappy with ATT for not releasing it.
    Let us know what they say please!

08-12-11 04:54 PM
    i also have to add.... and agree. this has the best keyboard of any blackberry.
    08-12-11 05:05 PM
    I just switched. Faster, and the keyboard is SO much better. Best kbd I have used. And the screen when compared isn't that much different in size. Like the landscape look better.
    Thanks habsforthecup and shadrackc. Good to hear what real users think after leaving the Torch. It's been a good phone but I've disliked the keyboard, and the weight distribution with the slider open the whole time. I've decided to take the plunge over the next couple weeks and grab a 9900; Then wait until next summer for QNX (once it's evolved a bit more).

Have a good weekend,
    Cheers

08-12-11 05:07 PM
    I switched and the difference is huge: the keyboard is quite a bit superior than on 9800, I type significantly faster on it. Display and speed are amazing too. It was nice to have a larger display but as much as I liked the Torch I never got completely used to that keyboard. It also bugged me that the sliding mechanism seemed to get a bit looser. With all of the other improvements I don't miss my Torch at all. Personally I am happy to have a much better feel and keyboard than a larger display.

In my opinion 9900 is significantly better device and worth the upgrade if you can swing it.
    pmich likes this.
    08-12-11 05:10 PM
    I switched and the difference is huge: the keyboard is quite a bit superior than on 9800, I type significantly faster on it. Display and speed are amazing too. It was nice to have a larger display but as much as I liked the Torch I never got completely used to that keyboard. It also bugged me that the sliding mechanism seemed to get a bit looser. With all of the other improvements I don't miss my Torch at all. Personally I am happy to have a much better feel and keyboard than a larger display.

In my opinion 9900 is significantly better device and worth the upgrade if you can swing it.
    Thanks Ivan. As someone who uses the browser on the Torch all the time for reading news, sports, googling...is the text on the 9900's smaller display about the same size but just left to right, with just less vertical obviously, or does it shrink the crap out of it to fit more in the whole frame by default? Also, is it noticably sharper with text?

08-12-11 05:18 PM
    Thanks Ivan. As someone who uses the browser on the Torch all the time for reading news, sports, googling...is the text on the 9900's smaller display about the same size but just left to right, with just less vertical obviously, or does it shrink the crap out of it to fit more in the whole frame by default? Also, is it noticably sharper with text?

It seems that a lot of mobile websites have their own formatting so text size and the amount of content is about the same horizontally (I can confirm this when I get home if you want). I wish it shrunk more since the display can certainly handle it. I tried changing font size but that didn't work.

On the non-mobile sites there is quite a bit more on there.

As for sharpness the difference is significant. If you use your phone quite a bit you will never confuse the two. It is very crisp.
    08-12-11 05:42 PM
    I also recently switched, and like the others do not regret the move for a second. I do really miss the larger screen (I keep finding myself turning the phone landscape as I used to on my Torch to view sites better). That said the benifits far outway - screen is much sharper and the keyboard is easily the best on any smartphone! It's wide, but the thin profile makes it feel MUCH less clunky than my Torch did.
    schlemer likes this.
    08-12-11 05:55 PM
    Thanks Ivan. Your point on sharpness is key. I'm a phone addict...never seem to surf the web on my laptop since I got the Torch.

08-12-11 05:56 PM
    On my way to pick one up now, this thread is making me more and more curious. It was only a matter of time, at least I'll have the Torch as backup for now. Will post back with feedback.
    08-12-11 05:58 PM
    i had a 9800 and just picked up my 9900 today
    but also i had a 9000 before the 9800.

the wideness was obviously noticed first time holding it. but then when i started typing i was in heaven
    and now i like it wide like this because it accomodates the greatest keyboard ever, and as well, it makes it feel solid in your hand. and also sturdy yet not heavy
    once you hold it and start typing away, you feel as though you are one with the device (wow corny lol) because of how well the size and keyboard works

browsing the web is nice, i like using the touch to scroll and zoom, and trackpad is great for pinpointing smaller links or textboxes.. this has been the combination ive been waiting for years

but overall the greatest enhancement has been the speed jump, feels great just to muscle through everything with great fluidity and smoothness
    08-12-11 06:05 PM
    On my way to pick one up now, this thread is making me more and more curious. It was only a matter of time, at least I'll have the Torch as backup for now. Will post back with feedback.
    Look forward to hearing what you think of the 9900 Frosty.

08-12-11 06:12 PM
    i had a 9800 and just picked up my 9900 today
    but also i had a 9000 before the 9800.

the wideness was obviously noticed first time holding it. but then when i started typing i was in heaven
    and now i like it wide like this because it accomodates the greatest keyboard ever, and as well, it makes it feel solid in your hand. and also sturdy yet not heavy
    once you hold it and start typing away, you feel as though you are one with the device (wow corny lol) because of how well the size and keyboard works

browsing the web is nice, i like using the touch to scroll and zoom, and trackpad is great for pinpointing smaller links or textboxes.. this has been the combination ive been waiting for years

but overall the greatest enhancement has been the speed jump, feels great just to muscle through everything with great fluidity and smoothness
    Sweet, thanks for the info. Funny, been waiting for this combo too. When I got the Torch I was switching from a touchsceen... Tried the 9780 first, but kept touching the screen and couldn't go back to "no touch" at that point.

08-12-11 06:15 PM
    I went from the Bold 9000 to the Torch and am waiting patiently for my Bold 9900 to arrive in the mail. I also had reservations on whether i could go back to a slightly smaller screen. I'm so happy to hear that everyone doesn't regret the switch. I wasn't a huge fan of the torch's keyboard but i got use it. I cannot wait to go back to the plush keyboard.
    08-12-11 07:38 PM
    I too went from the Torch to the Bold 9900. The 9900 is by far the best BB ever made! You won't be disappointed in any way.
    08-12-11 07:50 PM
    If you "really" like to know, here's an advice:

Get your Torch, through it off any window or smash into a wall. Get the 9900 and start enjoying REAL BlackBerry awesomeness.
    08-12-11 08:12 PM
    I miss the screen size and the Send, Reply, Delete on screen touch buttons. But this phone awesome....I will get over it.
    08-12-11 08:13 PM
    just got my 9900 today... i came from a 9800 and prior to the 9800 i had a 9000 as a backup when my 9700 broke..

the keyboard is soooo much better, no longer are you digging your thumb nails into the keys... the glass battery cover looks cool but i think ergonomically the rubberized battery cover on the 9800 was a lot more comfortable when holding the phone.. this thing is FAAAST! i find myself just scrolling through the screen just admiring how smooth it runs.. i do miss the size of the 9800 screen but the higher res & dpi make up for it..

the EDOF camera.... although there are advantages to it say goodbye to macro shots... text on page, small items on a table.. anything close-up will not be in focus.. you can use the digital zoom and hold the camera further but that degrades the image quality.. no more cool artistic up-close shots... i'm willing to give this all up though because the HD 720p video is SO worth it... all those HD youtube videos with the "uploaded by an andriod phone" finally have some competition..

the speaker.... i don't know about you guys but since the bold 9000 sound quality of the loud speaker went downhill.... lows don't exist anymore.. this phone is a prime example.. the audio is loud and crisp (louder than the 9800) but at times (especially with the phone on a hard surface) the highs on some songs/ringtones will distort and if you're an audiophile it will make you cringe a little.. my 9800 nor my 9700 ever distorted @ high volumes but i think it has something to do with the glass battery cover than it does with the speaker itself.. if any of you ever heard music play out of a 9000's dual speaker it's glorious...

i use my phone A LOT in my car as an mp3 player and i find the volume keys take a little longer to switch songs now when you hold the button otherwise it just changes the volume which can get annoying when you're driving.. no big deal... i also noticed that bedside mode won't stay on in the media player with a charger plugged in anymore.. hopefully a newer os build will fix this

the browser... i won't be asking for my girls iphone 3gs from now on whenever i need to check full size sites... i'm now confident in web browsing any site... one problem though, sites that require a login i find if you make a mistake the delete key won't delete keys it will just scroll back... VERY annoying and i can't figure out why this is happening (even with .317 leak) - i'm on bell (payed 169 for the upgrade) and for some reason my bell.blackberry.net email won't work on the phone anymore.. the icon is there but in email setup the account is nowhere to be found to authorize.. i'm kinda pissed at that because i had all my login passwords sent to that account..

can't say too much about battery life since i've only had the phone for a half a day but man the battery is THIN! [edit] oh yeah another thing is you need to remove the memory card in order to insert your memory card... i'm a little baffled at this but once a 16gb card is in there it won't be coming out lol... and the battery door is a little difficult to remove... much harder than the 9800

also i noticed my 9900 didn't come with app world 3.0, i had to grab it off the beta... and there are no signs of this roller coaster 3d game... i feel like i should have waited a little before getting the phone (i was pretty content with the 9800) but the speed and the 720p camera is enough to keep me satisfied.. even if i am broke till next pay
    Last edited by rayzian; 08-12-11 at 10:14 PM.
    08-12-11 09:49 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD