Could you please tell how you sync your ical with your BB? Is it done wirelessly or through usb sync with DM and outlook? I tried syncing with DM and Outlook but I can only sync the outlook calendar, not the mobileme calendar. I tried google sync but that didn't work as well. Thanks for any help.

mokeiko
    I did it through DM. And what do you mean by MobileMe? I just use iCal app on the computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 10:27 AM
    I did it through DM. And what do you mean by MobileMe? I just use iCal app on the computer.

MobileMe or iCloud or Google can host your calendar and then you have a copy synched over the air with any device. For personal use I prefer Google as this is the only one supported on BlackBerry and iPhone and Android. Plus you can setup the google calendar in iCal or ThunderBird with Lightning on Windows.
    11-14-11 11:07 AM
    MobileMe or iCloud or Google can host your calendar and then you have a copy synched over the air with any device. For personal use I prefer Google as this is the only one supported on BlackBerry and iPhone and Android. Plus you can setup the google calendar in iCal or ThunderBird with Lightning on Windows.
    This is my setup, I use Mobileme (not iCloud) to sync my ical, address book and mail on my mac. I use Mobile control panel to sync my ical, address book and mail to my Outlook 2010 calendar, contacts and mail (imap).

I have an Iphone 4s that syncs my ical and address book, adress book and mail through Mobileme. I have a Bold 990 that syncs my calendar, contacts and email via DM.

My problem is that syncing vis DM only syncs the default calendar, it will not sync any of the ical calendars.

I am trying to set it up so that if I make a change in my iphone, bold, mac or pc calendar, everything will be in sync. The way it's setup right now it can't sync because DM only syncs the default calendar (as mentioned above) and not to any of the ical calendars.

Then I tried to do it wirelessly. I had my ical sync with google calendar through my gmail email on my iPhone 4s and shared the calendar in the iPhone settings when setting up the mail. I then instaled google sync for the Bold 9900 and the google calendar synced with my Bold 9900 calendar. I thought I had it nailed, but whe I tried to make a change in the calendar with my playbook using bridge, no changes were made to my goole calendar.

I hope this is not too confusing and would appreciate any help with this.

mokeiko
    11-14-11 01:52 PM
    This is my setup, I use Mobileme (not iCloud) to sync my ical, address book and mail on my mac. I use Mobile control panel to sync my ical, address book and mail to my Outlook 2010 calendar, contacts and mail (imap).

I have an Iphone 4s that syncs my ical and address book, adress book and mail through Mobileme. I have a Bold 990 that syncs my calendar, contacts and email via DM.

My problem is that syncing vis DM only syncs the default calendar, it will not sync any of the ical calendars.

I am trying to set it up so that if I make a change in my iphone, bold, mac or pc calendar, everything will be in sync. The way it's setup right now it can't sync because DM only syncs the default calendar (as mentioned above) and not to any of the ical calendars.

Then I tried to do it wirelessly. I had my ical sync with google calendar through my gmail email on my iPhone 4s and shared the calendar in the iPhone settings when setting up the mail. I then instaled google sync for the Bold 9900 and the google calendar synced with my Bold 9900 calendar. I thought I had it nailed, but whe I tried to make a change in the calendar with my playbook using bridge, no changes were made to my goole calendar.

I hope this is not too confusing and would appreciate any help with this.

mokeiko
    You could use Google calendar instead of MobileMe. The only problem with Google stuff is with Outlook there is no native way to sync contacts. You should use ThunderBird with Zindus extension for contact Sync and Lightning+Google calendar provider for calendar. You can also use this on Mac. Google has a tool to do that with Outlook but only for paying customers of Google Apps. I tried it and it was not particularly great. Instead of paying for MobileMe you could pay for google apps.. On the BB the advantage of Google calendar is that it is natively supported when you setup you gmail email account just tick the Calendar Sync along with Contacts. It will be synced by the BIS every 30 minutes. Then Google calendar is basically supported on any smartphone with ActiveSync.
    If you are willing to test for Outlook you can try GO Contact Sync to sync Google contacts with Outlook and Google Calendar Sync for the calendar. But I haven't tried any. I use Outlook/Exchange/BES for work and Google for personal so I have a very light usage of Google calendar.
    If you are willing to pay the best across the board would be to use Office 365 with the BES in the cloud. BES is way better than BIS as it does 2-way real time sync. Opposed to 30 minutes for calendar and 4 hours for contacts.. And Office 365 is Exchange meaning it's supported with Outlook on Windows or Mac. On Mac OS you can use Mail, Contacts, iCal. And ActiveSync is compatible with almost every smartphone except for BlackBerry which require BES to be compatible. Yet I haven't tried Office 365 but I plan to do so.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    11-14-11 02:34 PM
    MobileMe is being discontinued next June anyway. Apple - MobileMe - MobileMe transition and iCloud
    11-14-11 02:50 PM
    You could use Google calendar instead of MobileMe. The only problem with Google stuff is with Outlook there is no native way to sync contacts. You should use ThunderBird with Zindus extension for contact Sync and Lightning+Google calendar provider for calendar. You can also use this on Mac. Google has a tool to do that with Outlook but only for paying customers of Google Apps. I tried it and it was not particularly great. Instead of paying for MobileMe you could pay for google apps.. On the BB the advantage of Google calendar is that it is natively supported when you setup you gmail email account just tick the Calendar Sync along with Contacts. It will be synced by the BIS every 30 minutes. Then Google calendar is basically supported on any smartphone with ActiveSync.
    If you are willing to test for Outlook you can try GO Contact Sync to sync Google contacts with Outlook and Google Calendar Sync for the calendar. But I haven't tried any. I use Outlook/Exchange/BES for work and Google for personal so I have a very light usage of Google calendar.
    If you are willing to pay the best across the board would be to use Office 365 with the BES in the cloud. BES is way better than BIS as it does 2-way real time sync. Opposed to 30 minutes for calendar and 4 hours for contacts.. And Office 365 is Exchange meaning it's supported with Outlook on Windows or Mac. On Mac OS you can use Mail, Contacts, iCal. And ActiveSync is compatible with almost every smartphone except for BlackBerry which require BES to be compatible. Yet I haven't tried Office 365 but I plan to do so.
    Thank you for the info. I'm getting so worn down trying to integrate both platforms and needing to jump through hoops and work arounds. I've used mac products for almost 10 years and thought about giving the 9900 and playbook a try. These are great devices if you intend to stick to one platform, but trying to mixed them to get your information synced has been a daunting experience for me. Maybe I'm way into deep with this stuff and made a huge mistake trying another platform. Anyway, I will try these suggestions and keep at it. Thanks again.

mokeiko
    11-14-11 03:20 PM
    MobileMe is being discontinued next June anyway. Apple - MobileMe - MobileMe transition and iCloud
    Yes, I heard about this. Just another hurdle added to make my life terrible, lol

mokeiko
    11-14-11 03:22 PM
    Thank you for the info. I'm getting so worn down trying to integrate both platforms and needing to jump through hoops and work arounds. I've used mac products for almost 10 years and thought about giving the 9900 and playbook a try. These are great devices if you intend to stick to one platform, but trying to mixed them to get your information synced has been a daunting experience for me. Maybe I'm way into deep with this stuff and made a huge mistake trying another platform. Anyway, I will try these suggestions and keep at it. Thanks again.

mokeiko
    I use gmail on a macbook pro with mail, ical and contacts. This integration is great. I wish there was the same with Windows but MS pushes Live Mail. On Windows I gmail thru thunderbird. Then I use iPhone 4, WP7, Android and BB with GMail. I would recommend gmail over any other email services because you can switch devices. When with iCloud you're stuck on iOS and Outlook on Windows.

Good luck
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    11-14-11 03:30 PM

mokeiko
    If you want to seamless keep all your PIM data (calendar, contacts etc) in sync with your Mac, you probably did make a mistake trying another platform, particularly a RIM platform. Its very easy to keep Calendar and Contact data in sync between a Mac and iPhone/iPad using either Google or iCloud. Google contacts has some serious flaws so in an all Apple environment I feel it is better to sync your contacts through iCloud which you can also use for tasks/reminders.

BTW The problem with Office 365 & BES is cost. Google and iCloud is free, with BES you are probably going to have to pay another $20 a month ($10 or so to your carrier).

If you do stick with google though you also have the option of using Android instead of iOS for your phone or tablet. I believe Windows Phone also supports Google.

FYI BIS does support google contacts and calendar, just not that well. Google contacts syncing support is so bad you are better off using desktop sync.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 11-14-11 at 08:04 PM.
    mokeikoberry likes this.
    11-14-11 08:01 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    New reports showing that the Bold 9900 with the latest software has unbelievable battery life!!! .... for many .. that is key!!! .....

11-14-11 08:32 PM
    FYI BIS does support google contacts and calendar, just not that well. Google contacts syncing support is so bad you are better off using desktop sync.
    What is so bad about it?
    11-15-11 02:19 AM
    Ahh crap, I'm having second thoughts already about returning the 9900 and going back to my iPhone. But its funny because the feeling goes away after I look at the 9900 and am amazed about how far the company has come since the 8300 days. Its such a sleek and THIN device and works my email and texts wonderfully. Is this feeling normal after switching from a platform that you have used for a long time?

11-15-11 11:09 AM
    4S in a heartbeat if I had to just have one of the two but if I had an iPhone 4S then I would not mind having a Bold 9900 as an extra phone so I could just use it for basic phone calls.
    11-15-11 11:18 AM
    Hi rockyroad55, update us which device you choose and why. I am following this post as i too have the exact same dilemma as you are�.
    Doods, I'm in the same boat. My AT&T 2 year came up in August and my gf really wanted the new iPhone so I used my upgrade for her, and took her old iPhone 4 to replace my Blackberry 8900 - thought, "hey, iPhones are taking over, why not give it a try?"

I admit, iPhone has some pretty cool features, mainly the applications - economist, wall street journal, Skype, a REAL facebook application.

But honestly, I'm just not as efficient on the thing. For example, driving to work today, I have a conference call scheduled in a half hour. I get an email while driving, requesting the call be rescheduled to another day/time. I try like **** during red lights (this is LA) to fire off a couple emails letting people know, and I STRUGGLE to write one email and get it off. With my Blackberry 8900, that would of taken me one red light - with the iPhone, it took nearly 20 minutes before I could send messages to everyone who needed it.

That kind of stuff annoys me. I really do like the iPhone apps - they are great when you're bored at a dentist office or something, but honestly, I'm beginning to realize how efficient I was with my Blackberry and I really miss it. I have to constantly re-read my emails before sending in case autocorrect changes "clock" to "****".

Its only been a week or so with the iPhone so a part of me wants to give me some more time to "adjust". But I'm not sure I'll ever get as comfortable with the iPhone - i mean, typing on glass? What was I thinking?
    11-15-11 11:47 AM
    What is so bad about it?
    It scrambles the address fields and duplicates contacts. Much better not to use it and just sync contacts with desktop manager.
    11-15-11 11:57 AM
    It scrambles the address fields and duplicates contacts. Much better not to use it and just sync contacts with desktop manager.
    Number one reason I stopped it from syncing. Sad because it was finally getting instantly synced.
    11-15-11 12:04 PM
    Doods, I'm in the same boat. My AT&T 2 year came up in August and my gf really wanted the new iPhone so I used my upgrade for her, and took her old iPhone 4 to replace my Blackberry 8900 - thought, "hey, iPhones are taking over, why not give it a try?"

I admit, iPhone has some pretty cool features, mainly the applications - economist, wall street journal, Skype, a REAL facebook application.

But honestly, I'm just not as efficient on the thing. For example, driving to work today, I have a conference call scheduled in a half hour. I get an email while driving, requesting the call be rescheduled to another day/time. I try like **** during red lights (this is LA) to fire off a couple emails letting people know, and I STRUGGLE to write one email and get it off. With my Blackberry 8900, that would of taken me one red light - with the iPhone, it took nearly 20 minutes before I could send messages to everyone who needed it.

That kind of stuff annoys me. I really do like the iPhone apps - they are great when you're bored at a dentist office or something, but honestly, I'm beginning to realize how efficient I was with my Blackberry and I really miss it. I have to constantly re-read my emails before sending in case autocorrect changes "clock" to "****".

Its only been a week or so with the iPhone so a part of me wants to give me some more time to "adjust". But I'm not sure I'll ever get as comfortable with the iPhone - i mean, typing on glass? What was I thinking?
    If you have the 4S you can have Siri send out emails and text messages while you're driving. Much easier!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    11-15-11 12:09 PM
    If you have the 4S you can have Siri send out emails and text messages while you're driving. Much easier!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    There is no way, ever, I will trust a computer to send out work related emails. Siri is pretty cool, but not for this.
    nova_8 likes this.
    11-15-11 01:18 PM
    Just found this! Maybe I should get one of these! HAHA

ThinkGeek :: TK-421 iPhone Case with Flip-Out Keyboard

11-15-11 01:43 PM
    What is so bad about it?
    1. Contacts don't sync all fields and tends to junk up designations (i.e., work e-mail, personal e-mail, etc)

2. Calendar sync won't sync multiple calendars. You can try to get around this with the Google Sync app, but then it throws all of your calendars into one big calendar on your device.
    11-15-11 01:48 PM
    1. Contacts don't sync all fields and tends to junk up designations (i.e., work e-mail, personal e-mail, etc)
    I've never had this but I tried once to sync my 1000 contacts with Google apps no problems. And no problem either on my Gmail personal account but there I have like 30 contacts max and I almost never modify anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Just found this! Maybe I should get one of these! HAHA

ThinkGeek :: TK-421 iPhone Case with Flip-Out Keyboard

Click to view quoted image
    Looks ugly. I'd rather carry both iPhone and BB all day.
    11-15-11 01:54 PM
146 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD