I commented regarding the iPhone portion as you can see from my first post. I made no mention of the 9900 and didn't bash it. I simply told the OP to consider a few things if he was heavily invested in Apple.

I'm sure the 9900 is a great BlackBerry. I've had no issues with any BlackBerry devices I've owned. Just chiming in from the iPhone side.
    Ok but I meant this is a comparison thread. So if you can't compare both what's the point.

I'll happily leave this thread before I'm chased out with sticks.
    Any comment or argument with points is welcome. I mean I'm not a RIM fanboy or an Apple fanboy.

I will say that BlackBerry is always behind when it comes to getting apps but when they do finally get them they don't ever pull a stunt like that.
    You honestly seem to be rational and objective about things. How does that make you feel? Am I over reacting to them restricting your choices?
    What was the messaging that was like BBM that was killed only on BB?
    Last edited by lostOzone; 11-12-11 at 07:58 PM.
    11-12-11 07:55 PM
    Moiselles,
    I'd agree with you that you are not a zombie because you are deep into Apple but I just want to ask you honestly, don't you mind at all that Apple has restricted the Kindle, Google Books, audible.com, Kobo and all the competitor apps to cajole people into using their iBooks?
    I will say that BlackBerry is always behind when it comes to getting apps but when they do finally get them they don't ever pull a stunt like that.
    You honestly seem to be rational and objective about things. How does that make you feel? Am I over reacting to them restricting your choices?
    I have some reservations to what happens when people are sucked completely into an ecosystem, be it Apple's, Amazon's or any other. The issue for me is that the price discovery of a free and open market is disrupted and the end result is what Microsoft did to so many fantastic and innovative companies. It killed them.
    You don't see a social consequence to this? Maybe I'm just crazy but I want RIM to continue to be as open (although slow to launch apps) they only restrict apps based on security or privacy.
    Your views?
    To be honest, I don't use any sort of eReader. I read paper books. I know Apple took away the Kindle app and I'm sure that's very frustrating for a lot of people. I did download iBook but have not used it.

My husband has been trying to get me into Kindles (he has one) but I just love paper books for now. I played with a Nook at B&N the other day and it was very heavy, definitely not something I'd want to throw in my purse!

Also, just want to add I own a PC and don't have any sort of tablet. But I do really enjoy all of he high quality apps Apple has, many of them not available to me on BlackBerry.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    11-12-11 07:56 PM
    Ok but I meant this is a comparison thread. So if you can't compare both what's the point.
    I've said this before... I don't judge or comment on devices I've never used. It doesn't make sense to try to judge a device that I've never even held in my hand.

I simply came here to chime in for the iPhone side. No harm intended.

11-12-11 07:59 PM
    And just to add, I know this is a comparison thread, but has everyone whose commented here used an iPhone4S more than just for 20 minutes at a store or a friend's phone? So what's wrong with me chiming in a little? I said nothing wrong or negative about BlackBerry.

nova_8 likes this.
    11-12-11 08:05 PM
    Didn't the OP title the name of this thread that he was undecided between the 4s and the 9900? You would think that people would appreciate hearing from users that have experience with both platforms.
    I was narrowing the subject to people having experience with both phone not platform. Then the subject become more complicated.
    11-12-11 08:06 PM
    Moiselles,
    I'd agree with you that you are not a zombie because you are deep into Apple but I just want to ask you honestly, don't you mind at all that Apple has restricted the Kindle, Google Books, audible.com, Kobo and all the competitor apps to cajole people into using their iBooks?
    All of those apps are readily available in the App Store. The only restriction has to do with in app purchases. If a vendor wants to sell through their iOS app they have to give Apple a piece of the action.

It is, after all, a business (and in this case one where the devs and Apple are in direct competition).
    11-12-11 08:50 PM
    And just to add, I know this is a comparison thread, but has everyone whose commented here used an iPhone4S more than just for 20 minutes at a store or a friend's phone? So what's wrong with me chiming in a little? I said nothing wrong or negative about BlackBerry.
    I don't know about everyone I speak for myself. I've spend 10 hours (as part of my job) on the 4S and from what I experienced I was unimpressed. I felt it was exactly as on the 4 from a UI standpoint. It didn't feel faster to me as I didn't compare the 4S with the 4 side by side. So I won't upgrade from 4 to 4S. What I love about the 4S is the video with stabilization. This really rocks This is going further But this is just on my list of would be cool to have. The BB 9900 has most of my must have features like fast filing email, remote shared folders, task and note sync, splash id, notification led, and keyboard
    11-12-11 08:51 PM
    The S in 4S stands for sheep
    11-12-11 09:20 PM
    Thanks for your astute observation and contribution. It really helped so very much.
    avmsam likes this.
    11-12-11 09:22 PM
    Can you elaborate?
    11-12-11 09:24 PM
    Didn't the OP title the name of this thread that he was undecided between the 4s and the 9900? You would think that people would appreciate hearing from users that have experience with both platforms.

I like the 9900(owned the 9810) and will buy one soon, but I will not give up the iPhone to get it. I've come to enjoy many of the apps that it offers. Some of the apps I don't use often, but I do enjoy having them when needed.

Guess I'm lucky that I also use a 9700. There are things I absolutely love about blackberry, and if business was my primary concern, I could see where RIM could be preferred choice. I come here to keep up to date on RIMs products, and since I want to come back at some point, read reviews of people who actually use their products.
    I definitely agree with you and now I'm actually thinking about just bringing my iPad with me to class and such. I use the 9900 for my business, email, and texting. However, I prefer the Mac platform just because it looks pretty haha. I would have never thought the 9900 could sway me away from using an iPhone since birth!
    11-12-11 09:25 PM
    I came from the IP4 and I really love my Bold 9900 from AT&T. This phone is great and RIM features are still very very useful. The only thing is that I would definitely enjoy a better camera, but hey, u can't have it all.
    I can definetely see me with this phine for 2 years or atleast one and not few months like the other phones I've had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 09:41 PM
    moiselles,
    Thank you for your husbands service and your support for him. I was in the army and deployed twice so I know your support is everything to him. Even if everything else sucks, as long as you support him he is good to go. I've been out for six years now. I'm glad I did it but I don't miss it. I'm glad I'm doing something different now.
    Thanks for responding to my question. I see your point.
    Hope you had a great Veterans Day.
    G7
    11-12-11 10:12 PM
    Whoa! I never knew that! Really???!?!?!
    11-12-11 10:19 PM
    moiselles,
    Thank you for your husbands service and your support for him. I was in the army and deployed twice so I know your support is everything to him. Even if everything else sucks, as long as you support him he is good to go. I've been out for six years now. I'm glad I did it but I don't miss it. I'm glad I'm doing something different now.
    Thanks for responding to my question. I see your point.
    Hope you had a great Veterans Day.
    G7
    Thank you for your service! It's not always easy!

11-12-11 10:24 PM
    Get android for entertainment apps and multimedia. For work? can't be wrong with this phone.
    11-13-11 10:59 AM
    I have the BB 9900 and the 4S. The BB is my primary device (since 1999 with the BB850). I wanted to experience the 4S as the primary device for a day so I forwarded calls from the BB to the 4S. My email accounts are set up on BIS and the 4S is set up with iphone Mail accounts. The Calendar, Contacts, Notes are sync'ed with Outlook via DTM or itunes.

For me, the 9900 as my primary device is better because:

1. LED notification of emails and indication of BT on (always on for PB bridging) with screen off; on 4S only have a notification tone/vibrate with screen off

2. minimum key/button input to see data: simply taking the BB out of the OEM slip case with sleep function built in, you immedately have the screen on to view unread emails/calendar/calls when the notification view preselected, or if it is out of the case simply hit any key (only one key) to get to the notication screen. 4S takes at a minimun two manual inputs (home button, swipe to unlock) to get to an application left open, such as email, then have to go to home screen and then to next application such as calendar.

3. physical keyboard

opinion: the 4S is a better media consumption device and the BB is has better integration of data and functionality across email, contacts and calendar applications. Both app stores have more apps than I'll ever use.
    11-13-11 11:57 AM
    In regards to apps, the only thing I miss are the games. But, now that I use my iPad 2 a lot more, games on it seem so much more exciting.
    11-13-11 12:14 PM

For me, the 9900 as my primary device is better because:

1. LED notification of emails and indication of BT on (always on for PB bridging) with screen off; on 4S only have a notification tone/vibrate with screen off

2. minimum key/button input to see data: simply taking the BB out of the OEM slip case with sleep function built in, you immedately have the screen on to view unread emails/calendar/calls when the notification view preselected, or if it is out of the case simply hit any key (only one key) to get to the notication screen. 4S takes at a minimun two manual inputs (home button, swipe to unlock) to get to an application left open, such as email, then have to go to home screen and then to next application such as calendar.

3. physical keyboard

opinion: the 4S is a better media consumption device and the BB is has better integration of data and functionality across email, contacts and calendar applications. Both app stores have more apps than I'll ever use.
    I agree with 1,2 & 3 but disagree completely with you conclusion. For me the iPhone does a much better job with integration of email, contacts and calendar.
    11-13-11 12:31 PM
    I agree with 1,2 & 3 but disagree completely with you conclusion. For me the iPhone does a much better job with integration of email, contacts and calendar.
    Yeah that's why he said it was an opinion not a fact. I like the BB too for my email and calendar. My calendar is set with iCal wonderfully.
    11-13-11 12:34 PM
    Thanks for the info. I guess I made the wrong decision. Great.
    The iPhone (especially the 4S) has an incredible resale value. You could sell your phone, buy the 9930 and still have a few hundred dollars left over. If I didn't buy my 9930 outright (on eBay), I would have bought a 4S just to resell it. (Seriously, I don't understand the resale value of the iPhones...the 4 8gb is going for more than the 4 16gb. It makes no sense.) Saw you also had the 9650 before; the 9930 is a HUGE leap forward from it.
    11-13-11 03:51 PM
    The iPhone (especially the 4S) has an incredible resale value. You could sell your phone, buy the 9930 and still have a few hundred dollars left over. If I didn't buy my 9930 outright (on eBay), I would have bought a 4S just to resell it. (Seriously, I don't understand the resale value of the iPhones...the 4 8gb is going for more than the 4 16gb. It makes no sense.) Saw you also had the 9650 before; the 9930 is a HUGE leap forward from it.
    It definitely is. Sold my iPhone and still had enough money left over after buying the 9900 at full retail. I'm thinking about getting a Commuter now.
    11-13-11 06:08 PM
    Yes, well, I started late in the BB game. I got the 8330 and really liked it. Then I tried a 9550 and while I liked the screen real estate, I didn't like the SurePress or battery life. Got the 9650 and really liked it, but after awhile I was getting frustrated with it. Slow, and crappy browser. I wanted an Iphone. So I waited for the 4S to come out. Got it. Black 32GB. But, I miss BB. So, I bought a used 9930 and will activate it this week. I have been using it on WiFi and am liking it. Not sure I am ready to give up my 4S just yet. But right now I don't have to make that decision. I have both to use for awhile. One thing I can say for sure is these forums are like no other. Seems I can enter anything in the search field and I will find the answers I need. Very nice!!!!
    11-13-11 07:52 PM
    I have 9930 for work and 4S for personal use. Couldn't be happier!
    11-13-11 08:40 PM
    Yeah that's why he said it was an opinion not a fact. I like the BB too for my email and calendar. My calendar is set with iCal wonderfully.
    Could you please tell how you sync your ical with your BB? Is it done wirelessly or through usb sync with DM and outlook? I tried syncing with DM and Outlook but I can only sync the outlook calendar, not the mobileme calendar. I tried google sync but that didn't work as well. Thanks for any help.

mokeiko
    11-13-11 10:39 PM
146 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD