Finally got the 9900 and I'm loving it. Its such a breeze to use this keyboard and everything is just right for me. Most of the websites I visit are mobile so I don't see a speed difference here.
    Congrats Any website should have a full feature mobile website. I still don't get the multiple apps approach when you can build great mobile website for any device. Cause the trends changes year over year. Yesterday Apple was king. Today Android is king next year who knows..

I just shipped my 4S back to Apple only a few days ago and am going to be getting the 9900 end of the month. Was always a die hard bb fan for years and defected over to apple just over a year ago to the 4. Loved my iphone...other than no physical keyboard. Got soo excited to get the 4S and the new os 5.0 but when it was all said and done I missed my bb. I'd totally loved everything about a blackberry for years and when I decided to send the 4s back it was due to the simple fact that an iTouch does everything I wanted the iphone for...apps to put it in simple terms. That really at the end of the day was all that made me switch to begin with when I thought it through. Blackberry had my heart in the beginning and it's won it back again. My 9900 + iTouch = total satisfaction for me. Right now using my old bb torch and when I turned it back on and started getting messages and chatting etc it was like coming home to an old friend. I'm totally 100% certain I've made the right decision. Can't wait to get my new 9900 !!!!
    When 7.1 is out with wifi hotspot this will give the best combo ever. The web on both devices BB is so great when it's about messaging. But the fact is that it's all in the keyboard. Today to get a great keyboard phone there is almost no other choice. I miss the old Treo days..

The 9900 is already a great device and I cannot wait to see what RIM has in store for us since I can only expect better and not worse. I decided on the 9900 because of its set of features and what I need it for. It will take me some time today to play with the phone and settings to get it to do what I need it to do, but I'm sure with the many members we have, I won't have an issue. I'm especially grateful that this thread didn't turn into a trainwreck with people from both sides arguing, but instead, I got excellent advice which truly makes me feel like this is a tight community just like how Apple is.

I still have my MB Pro and PC for my daily needs, but why should I get the Playbook if I already have an iPad? Just wondering.
    Yeah great device. Not waiting for BBX devices is also right because it is expected the first one will be without a keyboard which I think is not good for a BB. Just don't count on the 9900 to play 3D games.
    About the arguments I guess few of us have both or experienced both and when you're note a fanboy you can't say a BB is dull overall and the iPhone is king. Each one as its strengths and it's all about the focus. It gives you a headaches when you need both strength at the same time and can only get one device.
    About the Playbook i've used it a bit. This is great paired with a BB and it's more compact than the iPad. But there really is apps missing and the brother as expected is not that great with few website that don't have an app. Given the PB market share I wouldn't count on improvement till the BBX is out. Cause then dev will give us the same app for tablet and smartphone.

I think both devices are very nice. What made me come to the Bold 9930 (I had left BB but just missed it so I came back) was the fact that you can customize a BlackBerry like no other device out there IMO.
    I have my media keys set so if I click it once I get the camera, two clicks video recorder, three clicks contacts, four clicks calendar. On and on. I just love it.

The Bold has a good browser. I was curious about the speed tests and it tied the iPhone4. Now, it seems the 4S has a faster processor but when I saw the speed tests between the 4 and 4S the difference was about 1 or 2 seconds tops. So, I will say they are pretty close.

BTW, the main reason you should get it is that if feels great in your hand and you like it. However, two factors to consider are that BB is giving away $100 bucks in free apps and the new BB Music is pretty nice. It has nice integration with 7digital (a cool British company) and Shazam Encore also defaults to it.

If you are happy with your phone then you have the right one for you.
    What's the app to program media keys?

About pricing I got mine very cheap. My dealer made me pay full renewal price but I got 3 months free which is about the 9900 price But I don't think the price tag is relevant..
    11-12-11 05:16 PM
    There is probably a way to do it for free but there is an app called MediaKeyBooster for a buck or two that gives you the functionality of 4x each media key.

I got my flashlight to go with one click without having to look at the screen it is very nice.
    Voice notes two clicks.

It is pretty sweet.

I'm sure you already know about all the keyboard shortcuts and word substitution.

There is an isolated problem with some iP4S. This article is from today. There has been a back and forth but many on this website have stated there is no problem with their iP4S so it is not a universal problem. Also, keep in mind that you can always return your iP4S if your particular model is faulty with a battery problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...rtner=yahootix

I'll never get an iPhone due to my view of their corporate behavior but that is my issue. For the rest of the world it comes down to personal choice.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 11-12-11 at 07:37 PM.
    lostOzone likes this.
    11-12-11 05:17 PM
    If you're deep into the Apple ecosystem, then you might want to consider staying. Are there apps you can't live without? BlackBerry app world isn't as extensive as Apple's.

Maybe make some pros and cons, like I told another member, of both devices to see what you like and dislike about BlackBerry and the iPhone.

Personally, my iPhone4S made my 9800 look 3 years old. But it's up to you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk!
    11-12-11 05:31 PM
    Oops! Didn't see you already got the Bold. Enjoy! I'm sure it's a great device!

11-12-11 05:33 PM
    If you're deep into the Apple ecosystem, then you might want to consider staying. Are there apps you can't live without? BlackBerry app world isn't as extensive as Apple's.

Maybe make some pros and cons, like I told another member, of both devices to see what you like and dislike about BlackBerry and the iPhone.

Personally, my iPhone4S made my 9800 look 3 years old. But it's up to you. Good luck!
    It's more a priority list to be done. Because you have things you do multiple times a day and the one you do like once per week. Plus why limit to BB vs iPhone why not include Android. There are few keyboard phone on android. I tried the x10 mini pro which was a shame about battery life and speed. I guess there is more choice.
    But you are right about the eco system. I would be pissed to just trash all the apps I would have bought. Maybe one can sell his/her iTunes account with the iPhone.. Or is it forbidden by Apple?

About the Torch it is sad but when it got out it was already years behind the market.
    11-12-11 05:41 PM
    If he was deep in the Apple ecosystem he'd be a zombie

That's two iPhoneys in a row putting-down the Torch....you're wrong
    I compared the Torch 9800 with the iPhoney 4 and 4S....they feel different, they are nice, but not better....my next phone is the 9810
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-12-11 at 05:50 PM.
    11-12-11 05:45 PM

I compared the Torch 9800 with the iPhoney 4 and 4S....they feel different, they are nice, but not better....my next phone is the 9810
    It's all personal preference. There's nothing zombie about having an iPhone, a Mac, and an iPad. They all work beautifully together. That doesn't make someone a zombie. It means they enjoy a product that works great for them.

Of course, if you have a BlackBerry, a PB and if RIM had a BlackBerry computer, you wouldn't consider those people zombies...

I said that I personally feel my Torch is less than stellar than my 4S. If you don't feel that way, then great for you. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

11-12-11 06:02 PM
    I have been a BB user for 4 years and now own a 9930 which has been trouble free since I bought it and it came out. Having said that I use it mainly for work and a little pleasure but I am actually contemplating a 4s myself for shear pleasure and because of the simplicity of the OS. Now please understand i am PRO BB and always will be and don't believe in knocking another product that has proven itself since the first iPhone hit the market so.... I don't know how you can say that the IOS is showing its age after you using it for 4 years. With the new IOS 5 being completly new from the ground up with or without Siri I don't know how you can be tired of it if you have upgraded?? If you have not you should and I believe you will find out it is like having a brand new phone.

I am not trying to steer you away from hear or BB by any means but just giving you something to think about with the statement you made.
    I'm referring to age as the icons and such. The notification system is good, but by all means, not as great as BB (not intrusive). I didn't like how it would pop up at the top every time I would get a message, I would have preferred just a little icon on the status bar. iOS 5 isn't new from ground up. New from ground up would be something extravagant like implementing Expose into it or something like that. But, we all know that Apple is probably saving something for the next gen to entice new buyers.

To sum it all up, I am just tired of iOS because I use my phone the most out of my MacBook or iPad. It was just time for a change and besides, my work email works wonderfully with the 9900 now.

Also people, I still have my iPad and most of the apps I use still work with that. I'm not losing anything! I also plan on getting an iPod Touch too just to keep me at bay.
    Last edited by rockyroad55; 11-12-11 at 06:58 PM.
    11-12-11 06:56 PM

I've used the Torch and the first iPhone, 3GS and 4 and seeing a Torch (2010) years after the first iPhone (2007) not catching up with the first iPhone on the browser performance and all around smoothness is a clear win for the iPhone. The screen is also a clear win to the iPhone 4. Basically the BB loose or tie on every ground except for being a BB which bring nothing new to the BB experience except for displaying html email the right way. In that way they are different but it feels years behind to me. I chose the Torch as my main phone as I write a lot and file a lot a email with BES. But ended up upgrading to a 9780 which was a little bit smoother and had a better battery life. I guess the 9810 won't feel the same way as they've upped the specs except for camera and battery. But at least the camera on the 9810 has auto focus.
    Oh and I don't like being referred as an iPhoney
    11-12-11 07:08 PM
    I currently have the 4S and love it, but the iOS system is starting to show its age on me after using it for about 4 years now. My favorite berry was the 9000 and I loved it. The things that are making me think about the switch is the change from iOS 5 to BB7.

I'm not too worried about the music thing since BB can play music like any other phone. I may miss the big screen of the iPhone and web browsing, but based on the reviews I am seeing, the browser on the 9900 is superb compared to past generations. I trust that the keyboard will be enough to sway me from the virtual keys too. Most of my most used apps have a Berry counterpart, such as Dropbox and Twitter. Are there any users here that are still thinking about the switch and how has that turned out? I'm really itching to just jump ship tomorrow
    Nice Post! Going on my third Blackberry 8830 -- Bold 9000 -- Bold 9900, and tinkering around with the iPhone, I think you hit it right on the head. What I loved about the 9000 (a great keypad, reliability and stability, functional and organized) is all there in the 9900, and much more easy to navigate whether it's the trackpad or the speed of the upgrade with the new OS. I would miss the large size of the iPhone screen after I was trying to watch College Game Day on YouTube earlier, and even though speed was not an issue, it is still probably half the size of the iPhone if not more. I also miss just a few small shortcuts that would make the touchscreen a little more accessible and easier. For example, if I go to Google the subject that brings me to a page, and then I change my mind, why isn't there an easy return "touch" instead of having to press the Blackberry button or return button? Or if I'm into the calendar, tasks, text messages, e-mails,... why can I just touch a little red X. in the corner like I do with my browser to close the screen?

But as things are, the upgrade did not blow me away, but have met my expectations am very happy to have this done I anticipate having for the next two years until my next upgrade. If the whole world is going the way of the iPhone and Android, I will be very sorry and sad and a few years.

It's a tough choice, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way.
    11-12-11 07:13 PM

Not really fair to compare a 2yrold device to a band new Iphone. Just curious have you tried a 9900 or a 9810?
    11-12-11 07:15 PM
    The 9800 is a one year old device, not two. And I have not tried the 9810 or 9900. I don't comment on or judge devices I haven't owned thus my comparison of the 4S to the 9800.

11-12-11 07:21 PM

I said that I personally feel my Torch is less than stellar than my 4S. If you don't feel that way, then great for you. But it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I would have to say you're right, there is no comparing the Torch to the 4S. hands-down that's a no-brainer. As everybody has said, it's a personal choice just like going for an Apple Computer or PC. Do you like Sony or Samsung? Chocolate or vanilla? I just never had a problem with Blackberry, and as long as they upgrade with the most recent technology that they are capable of doing and it meets my needs, than I'm a happy guy.

I do see where the iPhone can be addictive, especially if you're attached to social media. But comparing the Torch, the 9900, and the iPhone... the one thing I would say is I have always gotten more battery life out of Blackberry than I have out of the iPhone. Probably because you're not processing so many applications... but if I'm on the road for four hours and don't have a car charger, not only am I stupid, but I'm risking running out of battery with the iPhone. Kind of like taking your laptop without an adapter.

But to each their own, and I think what's great about everything is at most places give you 30 days to try it out or return it. I would say with Blackberry, the jump to the 9900 or the new Torch is kind of like going from Vista to Windows 7 but much smoother. It's not the gigantic leap from Windows XP to Windows 7, but you're familiar with what you need to know in order to get started. I would hate to have to learn a whole new system over again.
    Last edited by rktate; 11-12-11 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo
    moiselles likes this.
    11-12-11 07:23 PM
    I also miss just a few small shortcuts that would make the touchscreen a little more accessible and easier. For example, if I go to Google the subject that brings me to a page, and then I change my mind, why isn't there an easy return "touch" instead of having to press the Blackberry button or return button? Or if I'm into the calendar, tasks, text messages, e-mails,... why can I just touch a little red X. in the corner like I do with my browser to close the screen?

But as things are, the upgrade did not blow me away, but have met my expectations am very happy to have this done I anticipate having for the next two years until my next upgrade. If the whole world is going the way of the iPhone and Android, I will be very sorry and sad and a few years.

It's a tough choice, but I really don't think you can go wrong either way.
    BB is not an iPhone you have to long press the screen to get the most probable option without having to use the menu. Android also use a menu button.

The upgrade is great because of the speed all around but basically the BB OS is hasn't evolved that much. I mean in the way we use it but there was a lot of work to get a better browser and liquid graphics. Personally I love the menu combined with the keyboard to select menu item fast. But this is not a mainstream thing for sure. I hope they keep this with future BBX combined with full touch experience but this is unlikely.
    11-12-11 07:26 PM
    The 9800 is a one year old device, not two. And I have not tried the 9810 or 9900. I don't comment on or judge devices I haven't owned thus my comparison of the 4S to the 9800.

Sorry a 15 month old device. Try a 9810/9900 and report back. browser is alot better.
    11-12-11 07:27 PM
    Sorry a 15 month old device. Try a 9810/9900 and report back. browser is alot better.
    I'm sure it is! I have no intention of trying a 9900 or 9810 though. I just don't know anyone who owns a BlackBerry anymore (aside from my mom and sis who own 9800s). If I had the opportunity to try one, I would. But I am very happy with the 4S.

11-12-11 07:34 PM
    I'm sure it is! I have no intention of trying a 9900 or 9810 though. I just don't know anyone who owns a BlackBerry anymore (aside from my mom and sis who own 9800s). If I had the opportunity to try one, I would. But I am very happy with the 4S.
    Why comment on this thread then?
    anon(73368) and dodger_moore like this.
    11-12-11 07:39 PM
    I commented regarding the iPhone portion as you can see from my first post. I made no mention of the 9900 and didn't bash it. I simply told the OP to consider a few things if he was heavily invested in Apple.

I'm sure the 9900 is a great BlackBerry. I've had no issues with any BlackBerry devices I've owned. Just chiming in from the iPhone side.

11-12-11 07:42 PM
    I'll happily leave this thread before I'm chased out with sticks.

11-12-11 07:43 PM
    It's all personal preference. There's nothing zombie about having an iPhone, a Mac, and an iPad. They all work beautifully together. That doesn't make someone a zombie. It means they enjoy a product that works great for them.

Of course, if you have a BlackBerry, a PB and if RIM had a BlackBerry computer, you wouldn't consider those people zombies...

The point is RIM doesn't make a computer. Apple makes all three and they're trying to give them all the same OS, a zombie-like integration where it all eventually blurs.

My desktop is a Mac and that's enough. It works very well with BlackBerry.
    11-12-11 07:45 PM
    Moiselles,
    I'd agree with you that you are not a zombie because you are deep into Apple but I just want to ask you honestly, don't you mind at all that Apple has restricted the Kindle, Google Books, audible.com, Kobo and all the competitor apps to cajole people into using their iBooks?
    I will say that BlackBerry is always behind when it comes to getting apps but when they do finally get them they don't ever pull a stunt like that.
    You honestly seem to be rational and objective about things. How does that make you feel? Am I over reacting to them restricting your choices?
    I have some reservations to what happens when people are sucked completely into an ecosystem, be it Apple's, Amazon's or any other. The issue for me is that the price discovery of a free and open market is disrupted and the end result is what Microsoft did to so many fantastic and innovative companies. It killed them.
    You don't see a social consequence to this? Maybe I'm just crazy but I want RIM to continue to be as open (although slow to launch apps) they only restrict apps based on security or privacy.
    Your views?
    11-12-11 07:45 PM

You should travel more
    11-12-11 07:47 PM
    I'm still going to buy whatever the next iPhone is. These phone things are like a hobby to me, but I only switch between Apple and RIM. Android is a no-no for me. I upgrade my device every year too.

Also, I may be wrong on this, but my opinion is that a BB is worth keeping for more than a year. Why? Because it seems like whatever the next gen is isn't that great of an upgrade compared to the previous one. It's like Apple releasing a 4S-type phone every year (based on complaints on how 4S wasn't that drastic of a change to the 4).
    11-12-11 07:49 PM
    You should travel more
    I've lived in 7 states. I think I travel enough! Lol. My husband is in the military so this certainly isn't our last stop.

11-12-11 07:51 PM
    Didn't the OP title the name of this thread that he was undecided between the 4s and the 9900? You would think that people would appreciate hearing from users that have experience with both platforms.

I like the 9900(owned the 9810) and will buy one soon, but I will not give up the iPhone to get it. I've come to enjoy many of the apps that it offers. Some of the apps I don't use often, but I do enjoy having them when needed.

Guess I'm lucky that I also use a 9700. There are things I absolutely love about blackberry, and if business was my primary concern, I could see where RIM could be preferred choice. I come here to keep up to date on RIMs products, and since I want to come back at some point, read reviews of people who actually use their products.
    11-12-11 07:54 PM
146 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD