My first BB was the 957 back in 2000 - a fantastic device. But from then on it's been a steady decline. My 8900 bricked and was unrecoverable and out of warranty. My 9700 is slow and painful to use for browsing and has few applications.

I've been really torn over whether to buy a 9900 or go iPhone. I love having a keyboard but I'm tired of reading about some cool new application that is only available on an iPhone or an Android device.

And now all these bricking reports concerning the 9900. I guess I'm going to have to learn to type on a screen - bummer.
    I have a att branded 9900 and the phone is amazing! Very fast,batterly life is solid(12-14hrs) and the keyboard is the best on the market. I havent heard of a att 9900 bricking yet.
    11-11-11 05:45 PM
    [QUOTE=Slammer;6845171]I have a att branded 9900 and the phone is amazing! Very fast,batterly life is solid(12-14hrs) and the keyboard is the best on the market. I havent heard of a att 9900 bricking yet.[/QUOTE]

Someone this morning posted that their AT&T bold had bricked after 2 days of owning it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...65/index2.html
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 11-11-11 at 06:21 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    11-11-11 06:18 PM
    I made that thread

I went to VZW yesterday and tested the 9930 camera. Seemed perfectly fine to me! I took close up pics of the device info paper next to the phone. Came out clear.

I'm getting a 9930...eventually. probably after it has been out 6-10 months. I dont want to.worry about it bricking.
    11-11-11 06:27 PM
    My 9900 unbranded ln AT&T has never bricked i have had it since aug
    11-11-11 06:46 PM
    I made that thread

I went to VZW yesterday and tested the 9930 camera. Seemed perfectly fine to me! I took close up pics of the device info paper next to the phone. Came out clear.

I'm getting a 9930...eventually. probably after it has been out 6-10 months. I dont want to.worry about it bricking.
    I have now to date have owned the 9930 since the debut with VZW and have had NO trouble whatsoever yet and with the standard exception of initial battery drains, I now have it dialed in with the usual battery tips and tricks that most of us know what to do and making sure that I conditioned the battery properly even though it is lithium now my battery is w/o a doubt lasting longer and I am fine with it.

I only installed apps that I know I am going to use on a regular basis instead of wasting space and getting caught up with apps I don't need.

Also I have no music, games and NO I don't get hung up on FB, Twitter or BBM because although my BB is still a personal phone I use it alot for business so I send alot of emails and I could not not be happier with how my phone works and how fast I took to the learning curve even though I had a Tour before.

I love my phone!!
    11-11-11 06:48 PM
    Need to determine your needs and get what would suit you best. You should have 14 days to play around with each if purchased from a big vendor. Opinions are nice but no substitute for play / testing / trial and error.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    11-11-11 08:03 PM
    own both an iphone 4 and bold 9900.if you intend to use your phone as a communicating device go for the bold, if you plan to use your phone as a mulimedia device go for the iphone.
    11-11-11 08:23 PM
    own both an iphone 4 and bold 9900.if you intend to use your phone as a communicating device go for the bold, if you plan to use your phone as a mulimedia device go for the iphone.
    Too bad RIM can't make one that does it all.
    11-11-11 08:32 PM
    Too bad RIM can't make one that does it all.
    That's a matter of opinion. I guess you could reverse it and say the same for iPhones.

I don't know if Siri was a selling point for you OP but something the release of Siri made me realize is that my iPhone 4 already have voice control which is actually pretty cool. I can start songs while in the car with it which is pretty much the only think I'll use it for and other forums members mentioned to me. Maybe save some money and go for the 4 instead of the 4S if you decide iphone.
    11-11-11 08:59 PM
    Keyboard is the big difference. Advantage BlackBerry. Bigger screen, advantage iPhone. Browsers are similar in function. The OS7 browser is not like the old BB browsers.

Cameras, I'd say the one on the 9900 is fine for most, but I do think the iPhone has the better camera.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-11-11 09:20 PM
    WOW ur dumb you dont need to plug in ur berry to either.
    First off, there is no real reason to be an ace about it.

Second, I'll sit here and wait patiently while you inform me the best way for BIS customers to sync contacts and calendar without it getting junked up. And please don't even mention Google, because 1.) it junks up contacts terribly and 2.) it has zero support for multiple calendars.

Conversely you can do all of this with zero issues on an iPhone no matter if you use Google, iCloud, Yahoo, etc. But all of this is moot if you sync via USB....which is why I asked.
    11-11-11 09:38 PM
    I already have the 4S. I'm deciding whether to keep it or get the 9900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-11 10:59 PM
    My only obstacle is waiting on this buyer who all of a sudden isn't responding to buying my phone after constant contact for the past few days. There's another thread that popped up about an iPhone 4S to 9900 too that I'm following.

11-12-11 01:19 AM
    I own the Torch 9800 and a Mac mini and they're good together. A BB on a Mac is great as it shows-up as a drive and you can simply copy music, movies, pictures, etc.. into the drive. You can sync with I tunes if you want but I would rather drag-and-drop things into a drive/folder, it's faster.

Everyone has some anxiety when switching phones, unless the phone you had sucked, which is not the case with iPhone. I recommend you get the BlackBerry phone + playbook combo. Everything you do on the iPhone you'll do on the BB, don't worry just DO IT
    11-12-11 11:21 AM
    After going back and forth few times with BB and iphone.
    I just decided to get both.
    BB most of the time and iphone fix when needed.
    This is the only solution since they are vastly different phones.
    I can assure you if you are torn now, you will not be happy with either one.

11-12-11 11:30 AM
    My friends with iPhone's love them, my friends with BB's love them.
    11-12-11 01:13 PM
    Finally got the 9900 and I'm loving it. Its such a breeze to use this keyboard and everything is just right for me. Most of the websites I visit are mobile so I don't see a speed difference here.

11-12-11 01:28 PM
    I'm a diehard Mac guy but have never owned an iPhone. I do have an iPod Touch 2nd gen that i use for apps and music. My phone has been a Motorola Q for a few years. It's served me well but I've decided to get a Bold 9930 later this month. The combo of a 9930 and iPod Touch for me at least is a good combination since I prefer to have a physical keyboard on my phone.

lenn
    11-12-11 01:34 PM
    I just shipped my 4S back to Apple only a few days ago and am going to be getting the 9900 end of the month. Was always a die hard bb fan for years and defected over to apple just over a year ago to the 4. Loved my iphone...other than no physical keyboard. Got soo excited to get the 4S and the new os 5.0 but when it was all said and done I missed my bb. I'd totally loved everything about a blackberry for years and when I decided to send the 4s back it was due to the simple fact that an iTouch does everything I wanted the iphone for...apps to put it in simple terms. That really at the end of the day was all that made me switch to begin with when I thought it through. Blackberry had my heart in the beginning and it's won it back again. My 9900 + iTouch = total satisfaction for me. Right now using my old bb torch and when I turned it back on and started getting messages and chatting etc it was like coming home to an old friend. I'm totally 100% certain I've made the right decision. Can't wait to get my new 9900 !!!!
    Last edited by kimmiekav; 11-12-11 at 01:51 PM.
    guerllamo7 likes this.
    11-12-11 01:47 PM
    Ii have the iPhone 4. Not the 4S but when it comes down to it you cannot argue that they are pretty much the same phone. I love my iPhone its the greatest device in my opinion ever made when it comes to a feature phone, a media device. The thing is that I blog a lot. Having to do what I could do on a blackberry on a touchscreen is not as simple as it sounds. There is nothing more than a clicking sound for some type of feedback when typing. I love y iPhone though. The browser is incredible. Email is somewhat important but I dismiss it completely. The games are top notch, and the productivity apps are like no other. Blackberry though gets things done when I need it though. Other than taking a day and a half to boot up (joking) I was never paranoid with my blackberry. I'm terrified of dropping my iPhone. Although it did fall on the toilet and still works 100%.

It's all up to what you need it for. I personally wij I could have both. My next phone will be a blackberry. The iPhone I will keep as a media device. Flip a coin. Heads or tails. Noatter which side it lands on you'll know which device you really want. Believe me it works.
    11-12-11 02:00 PM
    The 9900 is already a great device and I cannot wait to see what RIM has in store for us since I can only expect better and not worse. I decided on the 9900 because of its set of features and what I need it for. It will take me some time today to play with the phone and settings to get it to do what I need it to do, but I'm sure with the many members we have, I won't have an issue. I'm especially grateful that this thread didn't turn into a trainwreck with people from both sides arguing, but instead, I got excellent advice which truly makes me feel like this is a tight community just like how Apple is.

I still have my MB Pro and PC for my daily needs, but why should I get the Playbook if I already have an iPad? Just wondering.
    11-12-11 03:06 PM
    After going back and forth few times with BB and iphone.
    I just decided to get both.
    BB most of the time and iphone fix when needed.

Do you have both activated? Or do you activate one at a time based on your "fix"?
    11-12-11 03:11 PM
    I think both devices are very nice. What made me come to the Bold 9930 (I had left BB but just missed it so I came back) was the fact that you can customize a BlackBerry like no other device out there IMO.
    I have my media keys set so if I click it once I get the camera, two clicks video recorder, three clicks contacts, four clicks calendar. On and on. I just love it.

The Bold has a good browser. I was curious about the speed tests and it tied the iPhone4. Now, it seems the 4S has a faster processor but when I saw the speed tests between the 4 and 4S the difference was about 1 or 2 seconds tops. So, I will say they are pretty close.

BTW, the main reason you should get it is that if feels great in your hand and you like it. However, two factors to consider are that BB is giving away $100 bucks in free apps and the new BB Music is pretty nice. It has nice integration with 7digital (a cool British company) and Shazam Encore also defaults to it.

If you are happy with your phone then you have the right one for you.
    11-12-11 03:18 PM
    I have my media keys set so if I click it once I get the camera, two clicks video recorder, three clicks contacts, four clicks calendar.
    Where is the setting for that?
    11-12-11 03:22 PM
    I currently have the 4S and love it, but the iOS system is starting to show its age on me after using it for about 4 years now. My favorite berry was the 9000 and I loved it. The things that are making me think about the switch is the change from iOS 5 to BB7.

I'm not too worried about the music thing since BB can play music like any other phone. I may miss the big screen of the iPhone and web browsing, but based on the reviews I am seeing, the browser on the 9900 is superb compared to past generations. I trust that the keyboard will be enough to sway me from the virtual keys too. Most of my most used apps have a Berry counterpart, such as Dropbox and Twitter. Are there any users here that are still thinking about the switch and how has that turned out? I'm really itching to just jump ship tomorrow
    I have been a BB user for 4 years and now own a 9930 which has been trouble free since I bought it and it came out. Having said that I use it mainly for work and a little pleasure but I am actually contemplating a 4s myself for shear pleasure and because of the simplicity of the OS. Now please understand i am PRO BB and always will be and don't believe in knocking another product that has proven itself since the first iPhone hit the market so.... I don't know how you can say that the IOS is showing its age after you using it for 4 years. With the new IOS 5 being completly new from the ground up with or without Siri I don't know how you can be tired of it if you have upgraded?? If you have not you should and I believe you will find out it is like having a brand new phone.

I am not trying to steer you away from hear or BB by any means but just giving you something to think about with the statement you made.
    11-12-11 04:39 PM
146 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD