Just bought a 9900 off Amazon for...nostalgia. It was honestly my favorite device I ever owned, and wanted to keep one around just to kinda remind myself of its greatness. I noticed a few things from the device I ordered though that are throwing some red flags:

1) First, the battery. It is a "JM1", that looks ALMOST completely legit. It seems to work fine, but the issues I have with it is that it says "2400mAh" below the blackberry logo, which I never remember a 9900 having. The battery looks COMPLETELY legit, but from what I remember, the JM1 is ~1300mAh. Now, this is EVER so slightly thicker as well, which causes the back to not sit completely flush, raised at the center by maybe .25-.5mm. It is enough to cause the back to pop out of the clips on the bottom every so often. Lastly, I also always remember BB batteries having a matte/rough paper on them....this one is somewhat shiny.

2) The "h" key works just fine, but seems somewhat softer than the rest, causing me to miss type. Most people would probably never notice this; I am not most people.

3) On the right side, the steel frame is raised from the soft-touch part on the back JUST enough to where you can feel the metal edge. We are talking fractions of a mm here, but it is easy to allow that edge to be felt.

4) There is an un-removable bookmark called Unicom (???-????wo??). I haven't activated the device yet, and I know these things could change if I do, but just curious what this points to the origin being?

Am I being too picky for an old device? Any of my complains a legit concern? Paid $80 for it, and I just feel like it isn't up to the standards I remember this phone being at. The battery one concerns me the most, while #2 and 3 are just minor annoyances that I'm sure I'd live with considering I wouldn't be using the device every day.
    11-19-16 12:27 AM
    Battery is almost certainly fake. The rest, well, that's just being picky. Think about it.. the phone is like 5 years old. The bookmark is rather obvious as well, you bought a device destined for the Chinese market or at least attached to China Unicom at one point.
    11-19-16 12:33 AM
    Ya, I just started the return process....that is one good thing about doing it through Amazon I guess...free returns?

The more I started toying with it, the more stuff just felt 'off'. Started through everything else, and the accessories were all CHEAP Chinese clones, battery life was starting to drain fast, more keys were starting to feel like...something wasn't right, headphones/charger were all fake clones, and I have always made it a point to NEVER trust cheap quality batteries, especially with cheap chargers. Last thing I need is a fire hazard.

Plan B: Find a mint device, and just buy an OEM battery from a trusted source.
    11-19-16 12:49 AM
    Go for plan B :-). I too bought a legacy bb9900 for nostalgia and to see how it would fare as my daily driver. It's mint and from ebay. I was just as picky as you. But as soon as I received my device, I have nothing to complaint. Every accessories and the phone itself feels great to hold. I am glad that you returned the device. Paying $80 for that piece of crap from amazon is not worth it. You can get better deals at eBay :-)

Posted via the king of smartphones - Blackberry Passport ;-)
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-19-16 01:10 AM
    I got mine 9900 yesterday, in mint condition, just 42� off ebay. Original accessories etc.

Posted via my q10
    11-19-16 10:47 AM
    1250mah I thought, for the legit ones.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    11-19-16 02:33 PM
    I'd suspect any battery claiming twice the mAh of oem JM1 is either:

1- a lie.

2- twice the thickness requiring an aftermarket cover.

Doubling Li-ion energy density given available technology will likely more than double failure rates ANDor price.

Testing can be faked in SO many ways... Operating temperature and even barometric pressure can impact envelope cell capacity. We've literally "squeezed" slight capacity out of envelope cells, just toying around with in house testing, by stacking books on the things. Haha... Go figure... Canned cells better utilize their own "squeeze", among other things ... Tesla uses canned cells for a reason... Tough to fit cans inside thin handsets.

Guess I'm disappointed someone might have counterfeited BB's tm on fake batts. Whataworld... Lol.
    11-19-16 11:02 PM