This randomly started happening about a week ago. I've been running the build since it came out but until recently everything was fine. What I have noticed is that my battery drains EXTREMELY fast due to a very high CPU usage. The only app I installed apart from my regular set of apps that never give me problems (nor were they updated recently), was Whatsapp. Thinking that was the culprit I removed it a few days ago, yet I had still been experiencing this mad battery drain. Good thing I've been running the device analyzer to monitor battery drain trends. Turns out THIS is the culprit:

net_rim_tsm_app

When I go to Application Management, I see that CPU usage is high. I went in to Modules and searched for it by typing tsm. I got two modules, the one up above and it's lib file, net_rim_tsm_lib. I edited permissions from it's default (Custom) to Deny!!

CPU usage dropped down to normal immediately and for the past two days my battery hasn't been draining like the phone's on crack. However, I don't know what I disabled and if it is important. More importantly though, why the did it just randomly start happening? Does anyone know what's going on here?

As a last resort I am thinking of wiping and reinstalling the OS but I want to know what's going on first. Who knows if this will happen to me yet again after a wipe and reinstall. Any help or feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks Crackberry peeps!!
    01-29-12 09:03 AM
    That's the cod associated with the BB Wallet App. Do you have that installed?

If you don't have it, then don't worry about it. At least you've stopped your CPU overload.
    01-29-12 09:17 AM
    That's the cod associated with the BB Wallet App. Do you have that installed?

If you don't have it, then don't worry about it. At least you've stopped your CPU overload.
    Hey thanks for the reply and the update on what the cod was for. I don't have the app installed, nor can I in my current region. It isn't available through App World. Plus I have no use for that app, yet.

You're right, since the permission changes I haven't had a problem.

I was just baffled as to why it started out of no where but alas, I'm not going to worry about it anymore. Thanks again.
    01-29-12 02:57 PM
    Turns out it wasn't that app after all. I had the drain yet again. I just wiped my device and installed the OS fresh. I'll be testing one app at a time for the next few days. So far I have no extra third party apps installed and I'm good. Each day or so I'll install the usual set of apps I use one app at a time to see which one is bottlenecking my phone and will update the thread accordingly. Could be an OS 7.1 compatibility issue although I didn't have issues as such in OS 7.0.xx.
    01-30-12 08:57 AM
    I had a similar issue on a Curve 9360:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7077289

It's early days but the phone now appears to be better than it ever was before, even after installing all of my 3rd party apps again. I'll update you if things change.
    01-30-12 10:46 AM
    I had a similar issue on a Curve 9360:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=7077289

It's early days but the phone now appears to be better than it ever was before, even after installing all of my 3rd party apps again. I'll update you if things change.
    Hey thanks for the link to the thread. I've taken note of the engineering screen steps, so next time I experience this (which I hope I DON'T) I'll be able to single out exactly which process/module is causing issues.

It's too early for me to tell as well, since I just did the wipe and OS install refresh late last night. I too will post if it happens or what not. I'm still sticking to my one app a day or so plan. I don't use that many third party apps so I'll be able to figure it out. Just gotta be patient.
    01-30-12 12:22 PM
    If you have the device analyzer on your phone, try enabling the battery monitoring. After it has run for a day look at the battery log and it will show which apps are using the most cpu.
    01-30-12 12:28 PM
    If you have the device analyzer on your phone, try enabling the battery monitoring. After it has run for a day look at the battery log and it will show which apps are using the most cpu.
    Already running it. This is why I thought net_rim_tsm_app was the violator even though I don't have BB Wallet installed. However, even after denying permissions to that module the spike came back. So I resorted to wiping and reinstalling. It hasn't been 24 hours yet but rest assured I am still using the analyzer to monitor my battery drain.

P.S. - I mentioned the engineering screen up there because it actually lists all processes running and their CPU usage in real time. It's actually what I should have done when I had the CPU overload taking place. I'll know for next time. I'm ready!
    01-30-12 12:40 PM
    I went to Telus today and told them about how bad the battery is on my BOLD 9900.

Apparently Telus is aware of this situation and they say that the first batch of batteries had many defective batteries...

I got a new battery for free since the phone is under warranty for 1 year.

Just got it, I will see how different this battery is. (They say to fully discharge it and charge it for 8 hrs)

It is worth a try !

VM
    02-04-12 11:57 AM
    I went to Telus today and told them about how bad the battery is on my BOLD 9900.

Apparently Telus is aware of this situation and they say that the first batch of batteries had many defective batteries...

I got a new battery for free since the phone is under warranty for 1 year.

Just got it, I will see how different this battery is. (They say to fully discharge it and charge it for 8 hrs)

It is worth a try !

VM
    Interesting find. Although it would be hard to say who indeed does have a defective battery, if at all. I no longer have that issue so I'm good. Makes you wonder though. Anyway I have an unlocked phone, so I'm not really tied to a carrier. I could get a new battery but for now I'm good. That wipe seemed to do the trick. I'm just going to chalk it up to a one off occurrence.
    02-07-12 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD