01-30-12 11:31 PM
51 123
tools
    Does anyone remember how much everyone on this website was ripping on apple for there battery life, and everyone was saying they would never want a device like that lol but now that Rim is actually adding faster processors with a touch screen there having battery life problems, not to mention camera problems as well
    01-07-12 08:03 AM
    Does anyone remember how much everyone on this website was ripping on apple for there battery life, and everyone was saying they would never want a device like that lol but now that Rim is actually adding faster processors with a touch screen there having battery life problems, not to mention camera problems as well

I don't remember that, but I'm a johnny come lately. The reality of it is that if I can't get past the poor battery life I may have to consider a different device. I really like the 9930 in every other respect. The battery life sucks eggs. If there weren't so many people complaining about it I would have been sure my battery was defective. (Maybe it is). I'm not new to Blackberry either. The 9930 is my 4th berry.
    What I don't get is there are one or two people claiming exceptional battery life. It don't add up.

I guess we'll see how the Japanese battery does.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 09:12 AM
    ok so you all have this wonderful battery that I am so close to purchasing for myself... what are you all using for your Bold case? Do you have a gel case that fits? Are you using a holster?? Pouch???

Inquiring minds want to know
    01-07-12 10:01 AM
    Nope, I have no clue what your talking about... my 9900, with wifi enabled all, 4g on all day, constant emailing,texting, internet, youtube, calling etc... will normally go home with 40% battery remaining.

My co-workers who do the same amount of phone-usage as me, with their iphone 4's and droids and htc's, are either charging their batteries mid-day or leaving the office with 10-18% battery life left.

Make sure your os is upgraded, make sure your display is dimmed from 10-30% tops, etc.
    01-07-12 10:11 AM
    ok so you all have this wonderful battery that I am so close to purchasing for myself... what are you all using for your Bold case? Do you have a gel case that fits? Are you using a holster?? Pouch???

Inquiring minds want to know

The battery I ordered uses the standard back. So you can use any case you want. I don't have the battery yet so no clue if it will work.

01-07-12 10:25 AM
    Nope, I have no clue what your talking about... my 9900, with wifi enabled all, 4g on all day, constant emailing,texting, internet, youtube, calling etc... will normally go home with 40% battery remaining.

My co-workers who do the same amount of phone-usage as me, with their iphone 4's and droids and htc's, are either charging their batteries mid-day or leaving the office with 10-18% battery life left.

Make sure your os is upgraded, make sure your display is dimmed from 10-30% tops, etc.

I haven't heard anyone with 9930's getting that kind of battery life. I have my display at 10%. Running the 7.1 OS from Sprint. Its a battery hog. I'm at 35% after 5 hours.

01-07-12 10:30 AM
    haha I thought it was just me keeping the brightness THAT low, it still looks pretty good at 10%

btw I noted previously in other posts how bad Sprint's 7.1 update is. After getting a new 9930 I decided not to update and it has worked out perfectly for me
    Last edited by cleveland216; 01-07-12 at 12:40 PM.
    01-07-12 12:37 PM
    I ordered a Gold 2430mah battery off ebay. Ships from UK, made in Japan. Same size as original. I'll post my results when it shows up.

link to this??

**edit** nevermind i found it 3 seconds after i posted.

here: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/706-53...ht_2362wt_1139

look interesting....but is it actually 2430mah like advertised??
    01-07-12 01:18 PM
    I ordered a Gold 2430mah battery off ebay. Ships from UK, made in Japan. Same size as original. I'll post my results when it shows up.

Sounds too good to be true. Double capacity in the same size as original battery! Made in Japan!
    On the other hand, the seller has almost perfect feedback from like a million sales, which means he's legit.
    I'm very intrigued.
    01-07-12 04:33 PM
    Sounds too good to be true. Double capacity in the same size as original battery! Made in Japan!
    On the other hand, the seller has almost perfect feedback from like a million sales, which means he's legit.
    I'm very intrigued.
    He has negative feedback regarding Gold batteries for other model phones. Maybe the batteries aren't all they claim to be.
    01-07-12 05:34 PM
    In the past, I have always gotten an extended battery for all of my phones when available. I have not done so with my BB 9930. I really do not feel the need for one. Maybe I have gotten smarter with my daily phone use and am more aware of the need to close apps, or have gotten smarter with my charging habits. Keep in mind that the NFC antenna is installed on the back cover and that the necessary replacement cover might not have one installed. Also I use the BB Charging Pod which will not accept an extended battery. I also use the BB Holster which probably would not have room for the phone with an extended battery.
    01-07-12 05:49 PM
    in regards to the gold battery with 2430 mAh. i ordered one and it wasnt all its cracked up to be. I think i got about 6/7 hours. not sure if i had a faulty one or not, i emailed the seller and he recommened letting it completely drain 3 days in a row.
    just my expeirences.
    01-07-12 06:38 PM
    I'm loving my extended battery. I use an external charger and since then, haven't had to use the USB charger except if I was in a rush to go somewhere. Slow, smooth charging and it only cost me $14 for the battery and $3 for the charger (got it initially for my 9700, works fine with a bit of shifting).
    01-07-12 11:27 PM
    I'm loving my extended battery. I use an external charger and since then, haven't had to use the USB charger except if I was in a rush to go somewhere. Slow, smooth charging and it only cost me $14 for the battery and $3 for the charger (got it initially for my 9700, works fine with a bit of shifting).
    Could you please give me some details. Which extended battery is that. Does it fit with the original battery door. How does it compare to the stock battery in charge and discharge.
    Thanks
    01-07-12 11:59 PM
    haha I thought it was just me keeping the brightness THAT low, it still looks pretty good at 10%

btw I noted previously in other posts how bad Sprint's 7.1 update is. After getting a new 9930 I decided not to update and it has worked out perfectly for me
    Bad how? I'm using 7.1 and it's running better than anything before it. The only issue is how it jumps between 92% battery life and 100%. I had my phone off the charger since Friday at 5:30pm and right now I'm still at 43%. Some brief browsing, texts, BBMs, e-mails and phone calls.
    01-08-12 12:25 AM
    Bad how? I'm using 7.1 and it's running better than anything before it. The only issue is how it jumps between 92% battery life and 100%. I had my phone off the charger since Friday at 5:30pm and right now I'm still at 43%. Some brief browsing, texts, BBMs, e-mails and phone calls.
    I mentioned my previous posts if anyone felt like looking. Now you asked me to type it again.......

I have been very indecisive about first updating a very old grandfather plan to move from slow 8330 to 9930. The first one I got 3 weeks ago. After getting it it said there was an update available and I didn't hesitate. It locked up a few times whereas I NEVER got lockups with my 8330. Strike #1. I even had to look for soft reset procedure for it because it happened so many times in a matter of a day. I didn't even know a "3 finger salute" existed for my 8330 until I found the same procedure was used for the 9930. Needless to say I wasn't pleased so I took it back to Sprint for good, went back to my 8330. Upset too because I can't get my old plan back after the upgrade.

The 3g on the 8330 started to get to me again so I got the 9930 again to give it another go. Updated it instantly (as we all know newer OS is ALWAYS better, right??). Anyhow I purchase BB Radio, and it crashes I love listening to music on my Voyager Pro+, and the music app doesn't know what to do when a call comes in. After the hangup it's locked. 3 finger salute needed to even listen to music thru the music app again. Strike #2. So I took it back to Sprint.

Still upset that my 8330 is dog slow on the network I decided to try one last time but this time without installing the latest OS. Wow what a difference in stability. I can use BB Radio, and BT headset is managed very well when bouncing between listening to music and receiving calls. I'm back to my 8330 but only because I am gonna try the 9850, unfortunately that's my only other Sprint option, reviews on the Curve aren't so good.

I'm in flux right now because my contract with Sprint is expired and I'm exploring all options, even leaving BB. I have a Playbook but I hear it tethers well with some Android phones. iPhone is outta the question

Off topic I know, but surely I answered your question on how I think 7.1 is bad
    01-08-12 01:10 AM
    I mentioned my previous posts if anyone felt like looking. Now you asked me to type it again.......

I have been very indecisive about first updating a very old grandfather plan to move from slow 8330 to 9930. The first one I got 3 weeks ago. After getting it it said there was an update available and I didn't hesitate. It locked up a few times whereas I NEVER got lockups with my 8330. Strike #1. I even had to look for soft reset procedure for it because it happened so many times in a matter of a day. I didn't even know a "3 finger salute" existed for my 8330 until I found the same procedure was used for the 9930. Needless to say I wasn't pleased so I took it back to Sprint for good, went back to my 8330. Upset too because I can't get my old plan back after the upgrade.

The 3g on the 8330 started to get to me again so I got the 9930 again to give it another go. Updated it instantly (as we all know newer OS is ALWAYS better, right??). Anyhow I purchase BB Radio, and it crashes I love listening to music on my Voyager Pro+, and the music app doesn't know what to do when a call comes in. After the hangup it's locked. 3 finger salute needed to even listen to music thru the music app again. Strike #2. So I took it back to Sprint.

Still upset that my 8330 is dog slow on the network I decided to try one last time but this time without installing the latest OS. Wow what a difference in stability. I can use BB Radio, and BT headset is managed very well when bouncing between listening to music and receiving calls. I'm back to my 8330 but only because I am gonna try the 9850, unfortunately that's my only other Sprint option, reviews on the Curve aren't so good.

I'm in flux right now because my contract with Sprint is expired and I'm exploring all options, even leaving BB. I have a Playbook but I hear it tethers well with some Android phones. iPhone is outta the question

Off topic I know, but surely I answered your question on how I think 7.1 is bad
    I believe you have reloaded the OS from scratch on both the 8330 and 9930 right? How about restoring a backup selectively with only the memos, address book and BIS account data (or whichever you use), it might solve the freezing issue and it could renew the 8330.
    01-08-12 01:27 AM

Wifi enabled................ well no wonder your'e getting great battery life. It's well know already that our devices get great battery life while on wifi.

The radio in our devices is the weak and causes crazy battery drain.
    01-08-12 10:46 AM
    Wifi enabled................ well no wonder your'e getting great battery life. It's well know already that our devices get great battery life while on wifi.

Has anyone noticed that bbms arrive a little slower when wifi is enabled? I'm pretty sure I'm seeing that but have no hard evidence.
    01-08-12 11:30 AM
    Don't forget to update us when it explodes and burns your ear off

There is a reason why cheapo Chinese knock-offs are so cheap
    Thanks for that laugh!
    Barefoot_Kevin likes this.
    01-08-12 11:38 AM

Was wondering why my battery would last seemingly forever at home on WiFi -- had no idea this was a known ... Um...flaw/feature? Lol
    01-08-12 11:40 AM
    Do NOT trust these aftermarket 3500mAh batteries that need to be cloned unless you carry the cloner with you!!!I have one and I did several batt pulls and resets to test it and it seemed to only have to be cloned once.I went to Jersey for a job with it in my Bold confident that it was ok.I didn't bring the cloning device and of course I had to do a battery pull cause my phone was acting up and sure as sh*t I got the big ol` batt screen with the x thru it and I was out of town 2 more days with my BB completely useless till I got home.If you use these batts bring the cloner EVERYWHERE.
    p.s Did I mention to bring the cloner with you at all times?
    01-08-12 12:15 PM
    I've had no issues with 7.1 from Sprint. I don't think the battery draw is any worse than 7.0 was. Last night I did a wipe and clean install of 7.1. I think its running a little smoother now, battery still dropping like a rock.

I stopped at the Sprint Store yesterday afternoon to get another battery. Either as a spare, or to compare and see if its any better than the one I have. They didn't have any! Said they could order one for me. I thought that was a little odd.

01-08-12 12:47 PM
    I've had no issues with 7.1 from Sprint. I don't think the battery draw is any worse than 7.0 was. Last night I did a wipe and clean install of 7.1. I think its running a little smoother now, battery still dropping like a rock.

I stopped at the Sprint Store yesterday afternoon to get another battery. Either as a spare, or to compare and see if its any better than the one I have. They didn't have any! Said they could order one for me. I thought that was a little odd.

They don't have batteries cause not many people are willing to pay 50 bucks retail price.
    Just order one from the CrackBerry store for 30, or even better, get the External Charger Kit. It includes a spare battery and Y usb cable. It's very slim and light, I keep it in my car most of the time. Whenever I need the extra juice, I just drop the whole thing in my pocket.
    01-08-12 02:40 PM
    in regards to the gold battery with 2430 mAh. i ordered one and it wasnt all its cracked up to be. I think i got about 6/7 hours. not sure if i had a faulty one or not, i emailed the seller and he recommened letting it completely drain 3 days in a row.
    just my expeirences.
    My 2430mAH lasts just as long as a regular one. Did you notice a change after letting it completely drain for 3 days?
    01-30-12 06:52 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD