02-23-12 06:53 AM
31 12
tools
    Just thought I would post this as there isn't a whole lot of EXCHANGE EMAIL info in a clear and concise package to view...just bits and pieces that leave you wondering about a lot of issues. I just set up a Microsft Hosted Email Exchange and wanted to share the experience.

I have a BOLD 9930... my wife has an Iphone.
    We BOTH have Ipads. I have a PC...she has a MAC. Between us there are (4) email accounts. We each have a personal account, there are (2) different business accounts, one of which we must share access to.
    As you can see, this is a wide variety of accounts & devices in play.

Our bigeest issue was that we could not [easily] SEND email from our devices when away from home. Once you leave yoru home (or office) your email SEND settings no longer access your designated ISP so sending email becomes hit or miss...depeding on what internet/wifi access you run into. Changing your SEND settings to get into whatever server is available is annoying, time consuming, not for the causal user or novice, and is not fully reliable.

We did not want to go into gmail or mobile me (no longer available...now its Icloud) for email access. Our busiesses MUST have their own servers and we are not 'forwarding' our business email.

The answer was to get a Hosted Microseft Exchange Server. We got this from our Web Hosting company. it was about $300 a year. Pricey, but we have become more mobile and sending email with our own servers & email addresses was important.

The Exchange system basically coordinates and syncs email between the users. If an email comes in to USER email address 'X', it is then ditributed to all the USERS who have that email address ('X') on their device. With the Microsoft exchange, this is accomplished through micosoft OUTLOOK on your desktop...or from outlook on the desktop of any of the users, as Outlook on your desktop is now connected to the EXCHANGE and all your devices "talk" to eachother. Outlook becomes a control panel for your exchange.

BE AWARE! Because this is an exchange email system designed to SHARE emails, the email is distributed to everyone designated to receive it. BUT...if that email is DELETED on anyone's device, the next time that device syncs to the exchange (checks the email) that email will disappear from ALL devices that received the email the next time they connect. SYNC is full time and brutal. If you lwant to keep an email you had better make a COPY or move it to another SAFE BOX.
    THis makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

The WORK-A-ROUND for this:
    Some will tell you that there are work-a-rounds for this using other POP3 email accounts or IMAP, OWA (outlook Web Access) or a whole list of other such nonsense. They tell you these things because they don't really understand Exchange Email or its features. I only know these things because I was lucky enough to get someone who DOES help me get set up! I;m not really all that smart.
    The fix is a bit convoluted but it does work well ince you grasp the concept...DISTRIBUTION LIST.
    A Distribution List is an email target (email 'address') that receives the email and then 'DISTIBUTES' it to all DESIGNATED users.
    Example: Email Address 'X' receives an email as a Distriubution List instead of as a USER ADDRESS. It then sends that email address to Email addresses 'Y', 'Z, and 'Q'. The difference here is that unlike getting that email directly from the EXCHANGE as a USER, each recipient now has a copy that is SAFE. Deleting it on one device will NOT affect that email on other devices in the exchange.
    Note that a USER email address cannot be the same as a DISTRIBUTION LIST email address. This is important as you need to plan ahead to be sure that the USER EMAIL ADDRESSES will not be needed as DISTRIBUTION LIST addresses.

RECAP: A USER EMAIL ADDRESS will SYNC email between all users who have that email address on their device. A DISTIUBUTION LIST email address will receive an email and then send it to any number of listed/designated USER EMAIL ADDRESSES with NO SYNC between the users' devices.

IMPORTANT:
    Outlook 2007 can only mamage (1) ONE EXCHANGE EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!
    You will need outlook 2010 to have more than one exhange User Email Address on you PC.
    OUTLOOK for MAC 2011 can handle multiple addresses.
    BB's can only handle ONE (1) Exchange Email Address. PERIOD! Iphone (and most other modern smartphones) can handel multiple addresses.

I am paying $30 extra with Verizon for BB Data, and now paying $30/year extra for BED interface into my MS EXCHANGE.

Hope this helps others. I'll write more as I play & learn.
    dosto likes this.
    01-31-12 07:13 AM
    As someone with over 14 years administering and building Exchange organizations from 5.5 through 2010, I'd like to say you should fire whoever is giving you this information. I only skimmed over your novel post, but just about every point you made is incorrect.

Nothing personal, just wanted to put that out there for others who may not be as Exchange savey as your friend believes he is.
    01-31-12 04:08 PM
    Gmail has and continues to work perfectly for me. there may no longer be an app for it, but who ever needs an app for everything should just hire a butler. Just add the address from your Setup icon.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    01-31-12 10:10 PM
    gmail is great...but not for everyone. we prefer to have our own email servers and our company email addresses. 'GMAIL' makes a poor business presentation.

Chilled, thank you for your short preliminary reply.
    Before I fire anyone, let me say that I have no friends.
    The info I wrote is from well over 10 HOURS of exposure to Exhange Email. So you see that I have made a significant life investment into this!
    If I wrote something everything that was incorrect, I need you...no...the world....needs you to offer the corrections to all of my points.
    Without the corrections, we cannot learn from my mistakes.

Meanwhile, additional notes:
    I guess because my BB does't sync DIRECTLY with the Exchange server, but goes through the BES, deleting an email on my device will NOT delete on the others...and deleting on the others will NOT delete the email on my BB.

When I send an email from any device (inlcuding my BB) the SENT email appears in the SENT box in all other devices connected to that email user address. Very convenient since this now eliminates the need to CC myself when sending from my Ipad or BB. What I send during the day will be automatically copied into the SENT box of my laptop at home.
    02-01-12 06:25 AM
    Alternative solution.

Use "Google Apps Free Edition" to create your own domain.
    Create username on new domain.
    Add it to BlackBerry like you would any other gmail address.

What you get:
    1) Professional looking domain name
    2) Full syncing (contacts, calendar, email)
    3) No extra fees from you carrier.

Net cost?: $10 a year (Domain registration through Google); otherwise $0.
    Last edited by amjbecker; 02-01-12 at 09:19 AM.
    02-01-12 09:16 AM
    Kudos royce, you have far more patience than I. My hat goes off to you!
    02-01-12 09:22 AM
    Chilled, thank you for your short preliminary reply.
    Before I fire anyone, let me say that I have no friends.
    The info I wrote is from well over 10 HOURS of exposure to Exhange Email. So you see that I have made a significant life investment into this!
    If I wrote something everything that was incorrect, I need you...no...the world....needs you to offer the corrections to all of my points.
    Without the corrections, we cannot learn from my mistakes.
    I like your style, nice n dry.

I was fairly busy yesterday, so I wasn't able (nor willing) to read through your post and provide commentary or corrections to all of the issues, solutions, and observations (correct and incorrect) you've made in your 10 hours of time spent with Exchange (does that include the hours spent on this novel? )

Anyway, I'm at work but I have a few moments now to address some of the issues you've brought up.

SYNC is full time and brutal.
    Deleting from a blackberry on a BES server will place the items into your deleted items folder on the Exchange server (which you will see in Outlook or Outlook Web App). This change should be reflected on all ActiveSync devices you use as well, such as iPhones or Androids. Not sure about every Android device as some early models had limited ActiveSync support, but iPhones will reflect the change on the next refresh with the server. Deleting email from your phone does not purge for good, it is simply placed into your deleted items folder which can be viewed from Outlook, your blackberry, etc. I hope this explains the (problem?) you were having when you mentioned that.

If folders, such as the deleted items folder, are not syncing with your blackberry, and you'd like them to, you can either perform a remote search on the that folder from your blackberry, or you can ask your Exchange hosting provider to sync the deleted items folder with your device, which is done through the Blackberry Administration service. If they've given you access to the Web Desktop Manager, you can select the folders you'd like to sync yourself.

If the all of your devices connected to Exchange are not properly syncing up, either the device does not fully support ActiveSync, you've went about adding your Exchange account incorrectly, there is an option on the email settings for you hosted exchange account you need to modify, or the service provider's BES and/or ActiveSync services are not running properly, or they've had to make compromises to get everything "working" in their environment.

Outlook 2007 can only mamage (1) ONE EXCHANGE EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!
    You can open and manage many mailboxes (accounts) in a single Outlook profile, and you can create multiple Outlook profiles with 1 or more accounts/mailboxes in each. I'm sure there are plenty of articles on the web explaining how to open additional mailboxes and create new Outlook profiles.

You will need outlook 2010 to have more than one exhange User Email Address on you PC.
    You can have an infinite number of email addresses on any single Exchange account. I think you need to be more specific on what you are referring to here as I have a feeling it's not related to the email address.

OUTLOOK for MAC 2011 can handle multiple addresses.
    Multiple accounts? Are you referring to being able to select which email address you use to send email?

I have a feeling you'd like to be able to send from multiple email address that have been assigned to a single Exchange mailbox. By default, if your mailbox has 10 email address it receives mail at, 1 will be the primary, and that is the one that will appear in the From field for all outbound email. There are multiple ways to send from these different email address, either in the same mailbox or different mailboxes. You should ask your service provider for help as it will likely require them to make changes on their end.

BB's can only handle ONE (1) Exchange Email Address. PERIOD! Iphone (and most other modern smartphones) can handel multiple addresses.
    BB's can be enterprise activated against a single MAILBOX. That mailbox can have multiple email addresses as I've stated above. If you need to be able to send/receive from other mailboxes, you will have to add them as internet email accounts on the blackberry.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 02-01-12 at 12:52 PM.
    02-01-12 12:46 PM
    If the all of your devices connected to Exchange are not properly syncing up, either the device does not fully support ActiveSync, you've went about adding your Exchange account incorrectly, there is an option on the email settings for you hosted exchange account you need to modify, or the service provider's BES and/or ActiveSync services are not running properly, or they've had to make compromises to get everything "working" in their environment.
    I knew there was a reason...I just didn't know the right one...but mine sounded 'reasonable' so I went with it. Thanks! I'll have to look into that, though I am enjoying the 'safe haven' my BB offers. I'll have to give this one some thought as to what would be best for me.

Re: Multiple Email Addresses in OUTLOOK 2007
    I tried to set a 2nd EXCHANGE EMAIL ADDRESS in outlook 2007.
    1st I got a message telling me that I could not set up another exchange email box while outlook was running, and I should close it and go to the Control panel and set it up through MAIL settings.
    Going to Control panel>Mail...I tried to set up a 2nd exchange email address but this time it failed and stated that the email address could not be 'specified twice'. please see attached pic of the message screen.

Thank you for pointing out that I had been confusing the proper use of email BOX vs email ADDRESS. I will try to do better as I learn that they are NOT interchangeable with regard to Exchange discussions.

As for multiple email boxes OR addresses on the BB (I have a BOLD 9930) there is no option to add a box or address. I was told that it was not possible. If it is, please expand as I would like to hear about that.

And thank you for bringing up the subject of SENDING EMAIL from your email BOX (see, I'm getting better!). You (the general exchange population) may be receiving email from many email 'addresses' but your replies to all of them will be fromthe Email BOX you are receiving them in, which is just one email address...the email address of your Exchange Email Box.
    I do find this annoying as I receive emails from (2) different companies to my (1) exchange email box on my BB. I must reply to both companies from ONE company name.
    If you know of a solution for this I would really like to learn about it.

I find it anoying to switch profiles in outlook so that is not an option for me.

And by the way, Mr. ChilledBB...can I call you 'Chilly' as I consider us friends?
    Just to satisfy the curiosity of those who enjoy the exremely mundane and worthless facts of 'who wrote what and how long it was'...YOUR post took up precisely (well, close to precisely) 10% more screen space/print lines than my novel.
    But who's counting post length...right? That would be just plain silly.
    Last edited by royceberry; 02-01-12 at 08:31 PM.
    02-01-12 08:25 PM
    Gmail has and continues to work perfectly for me. there may no longer be an app for it, but who ever needs an app for everything should just hire a butler. Just add the address from your Setup icon.
    And...the gmail app still there in case you haven't seeing it no more
    02-01-12 08:41 PM
    I don't know if this info is useful. But for email sync with respect to delete function:

I have Google hosted personal domain based email system and it sync with no issues. When I delete an email from my Blackberry, a pop up comes out as ask if I want to delete from the device and the server OR I just want to delete from the device only. This way I can delete my emails from the phone, but keep a copy in Google servers.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I think this is helpful.
    02-01-12 08:51 PM
    I'm confused on the OP statement about the desktop Outlook client being the control panel for Exchange. Exchange doesn't give a rats *&^% if Outlook is open or running. Maybe if you're still using the old lousy desktop redirector, but I'm trying to think of what you might be referring to with Outlook. I've gone on trips for days without ever turning my notebook on, but email from our BES flows just fine. Emails to my Android ActiveSync device flows just fine without my pc on. What are you talking about?
    02-01-12 10:00 PM

I knew there was a reason...I just didn't know the right one...but mine sounded 'reasonable' so I went with it. Thanks! I'll have to look into that, though I am enjoying the 'safe haven' my BB offers. I'll have to give this one some thought as to what would be best for me.

Re: Multiple Email Addresses in OUTLOOK 2007
    I tried to set a 2nd EXCHANGE EMAIL ADDRESS in outlook 2007.
    1st I got a message telling me that I could not set up another exchange email box while outlook was running, and I should close it and go to the Control panel and set it up through MAIL settings.
    Going to Control panel>Mail...I tried to set up a 2nd exchange email address but this time it failed and stated that the email address could not be 'specified twice'. please see attached pic of the message screen.
    To have multiple mailboxes open at the same time, while exchange is running, go to account settings, double click on your account (bob@foo.com), click more settings, advanced tab, click add, type in the name of the mailbox you want to open and next/ok your way out. In order to do this, you will have to ask the service provider to give your account, which has full access to your current mailbox by default, full access to the mailbox you want to open. It will then be displayed under your current mailbox in the left hand navigation pane.

Reminder: this is for opening a second mailbox, not a second email address. If your second email address is an address on your primary mailbox, you will be trying to open the same mailbox twice. i.e. user David Jones has a mailbox. That mailbox can have email address associated with it over dave@foo.com, dave@foo.local, djones@foo.com, david@foo.com, theman@foo.com, davetheman@someotherdomain.net, etc. You cannot open those email addresses seperately in the way you open mailboxes as they are all part of David Jones' mailbox, and all email going to those addresses ends up in David Jones' mailbox. If David Jones wants to open Shelly Jones' mailbox the way I mentioned above, that can be done. If you require a second mailbox for yourself for whatever reason, you will likely have to pay your serivce provider for another account/mailbox, and then you can open that one in the way described above.

Thank you for pointing out that I had been confusing the proper use of email BOX vs email ADDRESS. I will try to do better as I learn that they are NOT interchangeable with regard to Exchange discussions.
    Now you tell me!

As for multiple email boxes OR addresses on the BB (I have a BOLD 9930) there is no option to add a box or address. I was told that it was not possible. If it is, please expand as I would like to hear about that.
    As mentioned in my previous post, a BB can only be activated against a single mailbox using the Enterprise Activation method, but you can add other email accounts via the internet email type. I did this on my BB to add my gmail account in addition to my Exchange account. You will use the same address as you use to access your webmail (OWA) such as webmail.foo.com. It's not as robust as the BES email with regards to syncing as will only be able to pull your email. Give it a try.

And thank you for bringing up the subject of SENDING EMAIL from your email BOX (see, I'm getting better!). You (the general exchange population) may be receiving email from many email 'addresses' but your replies to all of them will be fromthe Email BOX you are receiving them in, which is just one email address...the email address of your Exchange Email Box.
    I do find this annoying as I receive emails from (2) different companies to my (1) exchange email box on my BB. I must reply to both companies from ONE company name.
    If you know of a solution for this I would really like to learn about it.
    From your blackberry you can add the same account via the internet email option above, but using the second email address instead of the primary. This might work, not sure, but surely your service provider will need to make some adjustments on there end, if they are even willing to delve into this for a fairly small account.

I find it anoying to switch profiles in outlook so that is not an option for me.
    You can send from Outlook by either adding a second account as a POP/SMTP account and specifying the second email address you wish to send as, or you mail even be able to do this from within outlook using the from field (which is hidden by defualt, same as BCC). You will have to ask your service provider on which method they support, if either, as again they will need to make some changes on the backend.

And by the way, Mr. ChilledBB...can I call you 'Chilly' as I consider us friends?
    Just to satisfy the curiosity of those who enjoy the exremely mundane and worthless facts of 'who wrote what and how long it was'...YOUR post took up precisely (well, close to precisely) 10% more screen space/print lines than my novel.
    But who's counting post length...right? That would be just plain silly.
    Yes friend, it was quite long as work was rather slow today, the cat was away, and the mouse was at play.

If this thread keeps at its' current pace, I expect we'll be giving War and Peace a run for it's money as long as the crackberry database doesn't explode first.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 02-01-12 at 11:16 PM.
    02-01-12 11:00 PM
    I don't get what the big deal is with Exchange? Just so you can have OTA contacts and calendar sync? Blackberrys don't need it to have push email for a hosted account, imap idle is sufficient.

And I don't get why it's so expensive either.

I host mine with 1&1 Internet - Home and I get my emails in 7 seconds or less.
    02-02-12 06:29 AM
    Exchange does what no other mail program can -

1) Full wireless and seamless Sync of all mail, notes, contacts, calendar item and tasks, across all connected clients, including BB devices, Android or Windows Mobile

2) Can be accessed via Outlook on the Web or Outlook

3) Outlook client can access your IMAP, POP, SMTP & Exchange mail

4) BES and BES-X ONLY work with Exchange and is the core of BlackBerry...even Microsoft doesn't do what RIM does with Exchange. An Exchange enabled BB can't be compared to one using something like Google...

5) For corporate users, nothing can touch Exchange - it's completely collaborative, for all functionality...ie; meetings, appointments, mail and mailbox sharing etc...

IMAP pales by comparison - and until you've used Exchange with BES or BES-X...you won't be able to fully appreciate it's capabilities!

I've been a BES user since day one of BES - and nothing compares. It has more flexibility and offers users more freedom than any other BB mail setup...not to mention full wireless activation with full wireless backup/restore.
    02-02-12 07:31 AM
    Well now this has been fun! Learned a few things and made some new friends.
    There's nothing like a partially ignorant or irresponsible post to get people talking. I take full credit!

Chill, thank you for all your hard work and informative posts. I will try some of your suggestions and ignore the rest that I just don't agree with or dislike. Hey, in baseball if you do well only 30% of the time you're a hero...so think of yourself as an Exchange Hall of Famer!

And thanks to everyone else who contributed....
    MSS-CA good point about the bb pop-up when you delete. I always hit 'on handheld' but now with exchange I'll have to give the 'on server' a try.

Personally, I went to exchange simply for better access to sending email from my non-Blackberry devices when away from home. Changing settings for the outgoing server on many devices (iPad, laptop) is a real pain and is very difficult for a novice. Here in NY I have not found a universal outgoing server setting that will work at home and away with all devices...either wifi or 3G. Exchange was the answer and it has solved all of these problems for me. Yes, it costs way too much but I take the position that if you can afford to have a $400 device...in fact several of them as many of you do, then the service to run them really isn't an issue...though I would like to see it come down.

Chill, now that I have a working grasp of exchange mail and distribution lists, my next adventure is Sharepoint! I don't know what it is but I sure do want it!
    I will return and post just as soon as I gain insufficient knowledge and limited experience.
    02-03-12 07:51 PM
    Wow, there are some really wrong comments going on here. BES also works with IBM Lotus Domino mail and Novel Groupwise mail servers, not just Exchange. You don't need to re-configure outgoing mail server addresses when you leave your house. That's so wrong its laughable. And being right 30% of the time in IT will get you fired, not in the hall of fame.

Oh, and Microsoft can do what BES does - its called ActiveSync and it works just fine on Android, iOS, Windows and WebOS. Instant and two-way sync of email, calendar, contacts, tasks.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 02-03-12 at 08:17 PM.
    02-03-12 08:15 PM
    thanks for all the great info. I have been using a hosted exchange service for several years and love being able to sync everything to my bb.

Just want to remind you of new service that was just released from microsoft and blackberry. Office 365 and Blackberry cloud service.

They have a program called Exchange Online for as little as 5 dollars a month that gives you hosted exchange and blackberry service. This is the same service that I had been paying over 20 dollars for.

You still need the more expensive data plan from your carrier but it appears to be a great value. In addition there 24 hour customer support.

I am in process of migrating. Hope this helps.
    02-04-12 09:46 AM
    You don't need to re-configure outgoing mail server addresses when you leave your house. That's so wrong its laughable.
    KJ, please tell me (us) how, when using a POP3 mail account, you can leave your homebase ISP and reliably SEND email without changing outgoing server settings on your device. I have heard this myth over and over again and have personally tried every method set forth and NONE, NONE..yes...that's N O N E have proven to consistantly work. I would love to be wrong about this as it would save me much money.
    02-04-12 10:46 AM
    KJ, please tell me (us) how, when using a POP3 mail account, you can leave your homebase ISP and reliably SEND email without changing outgoing server settings on your device. I have heard this myth over and over again and have personally tried every method set forth and NONE, NONE..yes...that's N O N E have proven to consistantly work. I would love to be wrong about this as it would save me much money.
    Well, my wife's droid inc and my bb both work fine for sending emails through any of our email accounts no matter where we are - and that's been all over the country. Your location has nothing to do with your email server settings. We have comcast, gmail, verizon.net and I also have my work email. No matter where I travel, it always works just fine. In fact, we didn't have to actually specify the outgoing server settings for any of the accounts. Just entered the email address and password, and our phones did all the rest. I've never had to manually enter any server settings on any bb I've ever owned (7 total) or any android (3 total) or iphone (2).

Have you tried just deleting the accounts and using the easy setup method instead of manual setup? You really should not be having those kinds of issues. The only time i can remember having issues with outgoing mail server settings was about 10 years ago on time warner when I had to reconfigure something in my desktop outlook client when I was at a hotel. That's it.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 02-04-12 at 04:19 PM.
    02-04-12 04:17 PM
    Your device is set to use a specific POP3 Outgoing Mail Server setting.
    The ONLY devices I [personally] have witnessed capable fo this are I-devices using a MobileMe (now Icloud) email account...which as I understand it basically runs as an exchange and not a POP3, and BB's, which pass email through the BES, so that doesn't qualify here either.
    How are your devices magically connecting to an outgoing universal mail server that is not available in away-from-home locations?

Please post your outgoing pop3 settings that work everywhere without changing them as required by location. Please include outlgoing mail server and port settings.

Please feel free to correct, insult or ridicule me in any way so long as you show me the settings that actually work and I (and the rest of the US population) can duplicate them on my/our devices.
    02-10-12 07:45 AM
    As someone with over 14 years administering and building Exchange organizations from 5.5 through 2010, I'd like to say you should fire whoever is giving you this information. I only skimmed over your novel post, but just about every point you made is incorrect.

Nothing personal, just wanted to put that out there for others who may not be as Exchange savey as your friend believes he is.
    Thanks for again proving the point that the crackberry community sucks and is full of d-bags. Congrats - you are a statistic.
    02-10-12 08:10 AM
    I can't even imagine what you're talking about. If every mobile device user had to change their server settings when they left their home, we wouldn't use mobile email.
    02-10-12 08:17 AM
    Thanks for again proving the point that the crackberry community sucks and is full of d-bags. Congrats - you are a statistic.
    02-10-12 03:38 PM
    WEll! It is so nice to see that everyone has been brought up with a large helping of manners!
    Chill...I do hope that is NOT a self portrait...though who am I to judge! I pictured you a bit different.

MJS you really need to take a look in the mirror. Your post has zero content relevant to...well...anything. If you disagree then state WHY as it would help "d-bags" like myself to actually learn something instead of just killing time posting to admire my own insignificant accomplishments and contributions. You may be extremely knowledgeable but you have done a great job of covering it up so no one else will know.

KJJB I tried those settings...outgoing port 995. I have Verizon as a mobile provider and CABLEVISION as an ISP at home. That port setting does not work on either iPad, I touch, pc or laptop when away from home.
    Last edited by royceberry; 02-10-12 at 05:48 PM.
    02-10-12 05:44 PM
    I'm sorry Royceberry. I wish I knew how to help, but I can assure you that you are in the serious minority of mobile device users if you can't send email when you leave home. Have you just tried deleting the account, reboot and go through email setup wizard?
    02-10-12 08:37 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD