If you are configuring "...outgoing port 995" on your Blackberry for outgoing mail then you are not using Active Sync, BES or a very strange hosted provider.

Simply put, if Exchange Active Sync is setup correctly then it should operate on a standard port 443 (SSL) and work anywhere in the world, assuming that your Device has a dataplan. You should never have to change these settings, ever.

If you're using a BES enabled device then you don't need any port settings, just an activation.
    02-10-12 08:00 PM
    yes to all. i have had verizon and cablevision go through this with me over and over for weeks with no results. I have been told that verizon is among the worst to deal with with cablevision running a close 2nd. The story i keep hearing is that they both severely limit the ports to prevent spamming.
    I have always been able to receive but sending has never worked properly.
    I finally gave up and went to an exchange to be rid of all of them.

Basically each entity blames the other for the problem.
    Even here on the forum I get a cross section of answers that are in constant conflict with eachother.

I understand that the Internet is a patchwork of technologies and concepts that have somewhat learned to coexist, but there seems to be way too much misinformation and a lack of willingness on the part of the providers to properly train their support staff.
    02-10-12 08:08 PM
    I never had to configure the ports on either my comcast or gmail accounts. I entered my email address and pw, and it all just works.
    02-11-12 11:06 AM
    I believe that one of the key points here is that I am NOT using an email account provided by the carrier...Comcast, Verizon, or Gmail. I am using our own email servers through our business websites...ie: [email protected]
    This has been stated early in this thread that we are using our own email servers.
    Yes, if I was willing to use a Cablevision email account, all these issues would go away.
    But I am not willing to do that. 3rd party email servers are not welcome when it comes to other carriers...phone or internet...when you are aware from home.
    02-15-12 06:13 AM
    This has been stated early in this thread that we are using our own email servers. Yes, if I was willing to use a Cablevision email account, all these issues would go away. But I am not willing to do that. 3rd party email servers are not welcome when it comes to other carriers...phone or internet...when you are aware from home.
    It's actually the opposite that is true. ISP email servers will often allow anonymous use of their outbound SMTP servers from nodes within their network. When you are traveling, they will either not allow you to access their SMTP servers at all, or they will require authentication.

With your 3rd party mail server, the issue is the SMTP server is listening on the default port of 25, which is often blocked, as virus ridden & botnet computers will often send spam, so only the approved mail servers on the local network will be allowed to send any traffic (email in this case) to anything on the internet listening on port 25, which will almost always be a mail server.

The solution to this problem is to use a port other than 25 for sending email. Encrypted SMTP sessions will almost always be on a port other than 25, so that is one possibility. You will need to find out from your provider either the encryption type and port, or the unencrypted non-standard port to use for sending email.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 02-15-12 at 12:01 PM.
    02-15-12 11:54 AM
    Thanks, Chill! Great tech info. I understand it all in a very superficial way...I appreciate your time efforts. I believe that [with your guidance] I could get this done and working, but I am now appreciating the sync capabilities of the exchange for all devices connected. I was getting tired of CC'ing myself every time I sent an email from other locations/devices and tracking them on all devices. Exchange has become a luxury that I am enjoying.

I'm still looking at Sharepoint and trying to figure out my best path.
    I would like to sync a dedicated calendar and contact list [for Company X) via sharepoint, but I do not want to include my personal calendar and contact list in that sync. I haven't been able to figure out if this is even possible.
    02-23-12 05:53 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD