If this is true and they do so, why?

They want a cut of the action?

To me this isn't just an issue with the 9000 series but a continued
    anti-Blackberry attitude from the Evil One.
    The same folks that blocks your Bridge connection unless you pay up.

Tim

NFC being disabled on the AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900?

Could it be that AT&T will be blocking near-field communications in their upcoming BlackBerry Bold 9900 at the software level. That said, there might be couple of workarounds found by the BlackBerry community at large post-launch. Its not a huge loss, since NFC usage isnt particularly widespread, but it does seem like a bit of a **** move. Carriers have never been shy about leveraging the control RIM hands them on a silver platter to remotely nuke functions like GPS and Bluetooth file transfers, but what does AT&T have to gain from removing NFC?
    08-13-11 11:42 AM
    Yep this is probably the last straw for me and the Death Star. Pretty sure I am heading to Big Red in a couple of weeks.
    08-13-11 11:47 AM
    You know that the great people of the CB nation have been the blessing to the at&t users! Keeping us as BB users! I guess the all mighty dollar is the fuel to all the fires. Another 3+ months until a 9900 is out with at$t!

edit: it speaks to all the blocked items like BBmaps etc. Not shocked to hear it, but follows suit.
    Last edited by Zach7; 08-13-11 at 11:53 AM.
    LuisCast likes this.
    08-13-11 11:50 AM
    See blocked NFC doesn't make sense to me. BBMaps? I don't like it, but it makes sense (get people to use your product that they have to pay for), but unless AT&T has something in place of NFC, why block it? It's not like they can char....actually, correction, for $5/month you too can access NFC because it's data transfer, so make sure you have a tethering plan...(/s)
    08-13-11 12:16 PM
    this is BS! I'm not even a customer but its the thought that others might take att's lead on things such as this.
    Thats the deal with big corps they know that the little people cant do anything about it besides jumping up and down until the next thing comes along to jump up and down over, then the last thing has been forgotten
    08-13-11 12:36 PM
    I'm not an att customer, but why would they go and disable features on the phone? Nfc doesn't even affect their network at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 12:53 PM
    I hope to never be in a situation where I would have to be a customer of AT&T. They just seem to be getting bigger all the time despite many complaints of bad service, bad customer support and their intense need to nickle and dime everyone they can. Then they buy the competition instead of improving and competing. This is what broke them up in the first place.
    08-13-11 01:01 PM
    I'm not an att customer, but why would they go and disable features on the phone? Nfc doesn't even affect their network at all.
    Why is this a surprise?

Before the iPhone, all telecoms enabled/disabled the features of every phone they sold. Apple changed the game by demanding AT&T (and others) to not touch anything and have flat-rate data plans.

RIM has publicly stated that they are fostering their ties to American carriers. This could mean that RIM has to relinquish some control in order to make carriers support RIM devices. In other words, "bartering".

The way it looks right now, RIM is not in a very strong position to demand otherwise.
    08-13-11 01:14 PM
    This sucks. I was really looking forward to being able to pay for things with my phone... Maybe even with google wallet integration, which is already surprisingly useful around some parts of nyc.

08-13-11 01:33 PM
    This sucks. I was really looking forward to being able to pay for things with my phone... Maybe even with google wallet integration, which is already surprisingly useful around some parts of nyc.

Just grab the Rogers updates once we get the phone.
    08-13-11 02:02 PM
    I posted this yesterday,you are a day late and a dollar short.

08-13-11 02:15 PM
    I don't care, I'm importing a Rogers/unlocked 9900 so it doesn't affect me.
    08-13-11 02:18 PM
    this is BS! I'm not even a customer but its the thought that others might take att's lead on things such as this.
    Thats the deal with big corps they know that the little people cant do anything about it besides jumping up and down until the next thing comes along to jump up and down over, then the last thing has been forgotten
    Yup. The OP cited a page from IntoMobile which is actually referring to a page from TechnoBuffalo. It seem that TechnoBuffalo has recently updated that page to indicate that Vodafone-UK has already adopted that policy ( at least as of now). They themselves have cited a page from SlashGear about this...
    And we all stand back and watch it happen....

NFC being disabled on the AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9900?

Exclusive: AT&T Shooting Down BlackBerry 9900's NFC? | TechnoBuffalo

BlackBerry Bold 9900 Hits the U.K. Today Via Vodafone | TechnoBuffalo
    You may notice that near-field communications technology is also built into this seemingly impressive BlackBerry handset, but unfortunately Vodafone will not support this feature to begin with youll have to wait a while for that.
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 on sale in UK [Video] - SlashGear

Wow....
    08-13-11 03:30 PM
    If true, AT & T is becoming more and more like a Canadian Cell company every day. Watch for Robbers, Bhell and Telus to follow.
    08-13-11 04:23 PM
    Just grab the Rogers updates once we get the phone.
    Well that's going to be the interesting thing. If it's going to be something they
    instill in their official OS or a service book that's pushed no matter the OS you're
    using.
    Gregory Ryan likes this.
    08-13-11 08:11 PM
    BerryReporter site says T-Mo and Verizon are also planning to block NFC, so it would seem (if true) they are doing so while they figure out a way to likely charge you for access. Seriously, its just like when Verizon crippled their first phone with Bluetooth in it so it couldn't do OBEX which was just friggin stupid. They got sued, lawyers made lots of cash and the average Joe/Jane Smith got like $5 or something.

Every time I get one of those stupid postcards in the mail about a class action suite that I am eligible to be a part of I just shred it. The money I will get is so little its not worth it and in the end users get nothing, lawyers get everything.
    LuisCast and AugustArborists like this.
    08-13-11 09:37 PM
    Not sure why they moved this. As I said it is more of a posting about the continued issues with ATT then the new Bold!

Are we going to move everything that names a BB phone in it?

Oh well....

Tim
    08-13-11 11:40 PM
    If true, AT & T is becoming more and more like a Canadian Cell company every day. Watch for Robbers, Bhell and Telus to follow.
    Other than 3 year commitments we have it good.

We don't pay for tethering like they have to in the US. I don't see the Canadian Telecoms blocking this.

Quick question, have the US carriers blocked NFC on the Nexus S? ATT carries it. So if they haven't why do so on the Bold?
    08-14-11 02:13 AM
    NFC is being blocked because its a relatively new technology that can be stolen easy with a swipe of a magnet near you. To be honest, I'm glad they're blocking it. Credit card theft has been happening for a few years due to it and now I carry a metal wallet to stop my NFC credit card from being stolen.

Also, this could be a move so AT&T can push the phone faster out of the gate.
    08-14-11 02:30 AM
    I am NOT happy they are (rumored to be) blocking it. I am paying for a phone with the technology built in, I can disable the radio or they can have it turned off by default. Verizon has signed a mobile payment agreement with AMEX using your phone #, which is NOT what I want and can make theft just as easy. Give me my NFC want the full abilities I am paying for not crippled crap.
    08-14-11 10:11 AM
    honestly i would never really use nfc, i never use those barcode scanners either. call me traditional but ill just punch the website in myself.
    08-14-11 11:46 AM
    I bet you when the iphone gets nfc they won't block it.

Same reason they blocked side loading on some androids, uploading speeds, etc.
    08-14-11 11:55 AM
    Yep this is probably the last straw for me and the Death Star. Pretty sure I am heading to Big Red in a couple of weeks.
    They also shut off NFC.

Not sure why it matters though. You can't do anything with it right now anyway.
    08-17-11 02:57 PM
    im using an unlocked bell on at&t and i have NFC. If they do all you have to do is load up an OS that is not from at&t and that's it.
    08-17-11 03:25 PM
    The latest Verizon os leak has NFC built in and operational, so for vzw it looks like it just wasn't ready at launch.

08-17-11 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD