Hi,

I woke up this morning with my BlackBerry notifying me that an upgrade was available to the 7.1 OS. So naturally, I clicked it and decided to let the BlackBerry go through it's motions. Then I remembered something. This is my second 9930, the first one froze trying to complete this same upgrade, and I needed to get a new one. Well, here I am with the new one and the same issue.

It goes through the motions fine, until it gets to the "Backing Up Your Data" screen where it is now frozen on 22% and has been for over two hours.

I guess at this point it has to be user error? Or just a very unlucky circumstance. I'm afraid to pull the battery and have the risk of losing all my data. I remember that I tried this with the old phone, but when it turned back on it would instantly return to the upgrade and freeze in the same spot again.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here.

Thanks
    11-20-12 10:29 AM
    Just leave it. It will finish eventually.
    I've read OTA updates taking up to 24 hours to complete... which is exactly why I never do it.
    11-20-12 10:44 AM
    Just leave it. It will finish eventually.
    I've read OTA updates taking up to 24 hours to complete... which is exactly why I never do it.
    I haven't touched the phone since I started the update. I'm going to let it run until tomorrow, and if nothing changes I'm going to head to Verizon and try to pick up a new phone. I don't really have the funds for that though, so I'm hoping patience is a virtue here
    11-20-12 10:46 AM
    Do you use Social Feeds? If so, that takes eons to backup.
    11-20-12 10:50 AM
    Do you use Social Feeds? If so, that takes eons to backup.
    Social Feeds is it's own app, correct? Because I have both the Twitter and Facebook apps installed on my BlackBerry.
    11-20-12 11:02 AM
    Yeah, the Social Feeds app is usually the culprit.

And like its been mentioned before, OTA updates are never a good idea.

Always update via Desktop Manager. The entire process only takes about an hour this way.
    11-21-12 09:59 AM
    I haven't touched the phone since I started the update. I'm going to let it run until tomorrow, and if nothing changes I'm going to head to Verizon and try to pick up a new phone. I don't really have the funds for that though, so I'm hoping patience is a virtue here
    There's no reason for VZW to give you a new phone. Don't do OTA updates, they suck.
    11-21-12 12:32 PM
    I didn't mean to hit the download now button, but I did this morning. It has done a few things, but now it is just black not doing anything for he past 4 hours. Is there anything you can do to get your phone back?

Overall, it has been 8.5 hours currently trying to do this upgrade.
    11-21-12 05:45 PM
    I'm going to be following this thread very close. My Verizon 9930 is currently sitting at 13% trying to do the update. I started it about 3 hours ago. I have not once ever had a Blackberry OS upgrade go right with my past 8350i phones on Nextel even when I was using desktop manager. Back then after my device became a brick I could drive 45 minutes to the Sprint store and they could fix it on site. I hated to leave Sprint because their customer service was phenomenal but alas I got tired of the turtle speeds of Nextel and the Sprint network around here is a joke. According to the closest Verizon store they don't really really do Blackberry service work like that in the Verizon stores anymore.
    11-21-12 06:19 PM