Rim makes beautiful devices.
    The problem is the software. Even the new OS is years behind the all other OS out now.

IMO, anything that kiss Rim , it will be the software and not OS.
    They should make phones for other OS.
    I don't think QNX is years behind other operating systems, what's years behind is the support it gets. RIM needs to give TONS and TONS of incentives to get developers on board.
    06-24-11 06:00 PM
    I think you are all focusing too much on the slightly negative comment about RIM's phones being the same. Sensitivity in all areas of the BB world is high these days!!

I felt like they gave it a good review. I read it and thought, "Wow, they really liked this phone." Maybe I am being too positive!

I left physical keyboards a long time ago with the Storm, but I have to say the 9900 looks great. I think they really streamlined the device, and it looks expensive. I think it will sell like hotcakes and people will probably rave about them, that is those that want a keyboard.

I wish RIM would simply make this phone, a lower end version, and a killer touch screen device with a 4" screen. The only thing I want with newer BB's is a front facing camera. I think they are starting to cover all my other needs (other than better app store and developers to follow!). I use my ffc on my Dinc2 all the time. Just video chatted with the family this morning from China.
    06-24-11 06:56 PM
    Rim makes beautiful devices.
    The problem is the software. Even the new OS is years behind the all other OS out now.

IMO, anything that kiss Rim , it will be the software and not OS.
    They should make phones for other OS.
    While I agree with you there are other issues. The reason the OS is so far behind is also hardware related. Look how fast the 9900 runs, its amazing to watch and shows what better hardware can do. But they never took leaps with the OS because the hardware could never handle it, it goes hand in hand.

Only now do we get a decent cpu choice and gpu support to go with it. You see people in this thread even saying, hey with some more decent apps blackberry would be fine. But you know what, blackberry's could not even run ports of iOS or Android apps because of a shortfall in hardware performance.

No doubt, this is a stop gap year for RIM with hardware like this pleasing people who like and want Blackberrys while still bleading customers to other platforms. QNX/Dual Core and the next generation of Blackberry's can't come soon enough.
    06-24-11 07:55 PM
    Because I like it doesn't change the fact it's based off a device that's on it's 4th Generation. And looks the same.
    Take Samsung for instance. Galaxy S series. They release 3 devices with the exact same internals, but all three looked different. The new Galaxy S II looks different. Look at the Droid Charge. Nothing else looks the same.
    Since when did physical appearance impact the functionality of a smartphone?

It's brand recognition, and it works. Most people can recognise a BMW at a glance, they are all obvious descendants from the same design. BlackBerry styling also follows the same schemes, and they are equally recognisable.
    06-24-11 08:35 PM
    Not sure why everyone is so quick to refer to the iPhone. It has had some changes over the years. But even if it hadn't, does two wrongs make a right? I don't believe so. The other determining factor is the iPhone is quite successful, in particular the most successful smartphone in the history of them.
    Back to the point, some of the criticism of RIM is totally deserved. Personally I love the 9900. And think it's rather sexy. Because I like it doesn't change the fact it's based off a device that's on it's 4th Generation. And looks the same.
    Take Samsung for instance. Galaxy S series. They release 3 devices with the exact same internals, but all three looked different. The new Galaxy S II looks different. Look at the Droid Charge. Nothing else looks the same.

Part of the criticism leveled on RIM is well deserved. Hence why there are major changes underway internally and you're going to be seeing some new devices that don't much resemble anything put out by RIM before. They get the 9650 looked like the 9700. And the 9780 looked like the 9650 & 9780. So on and so forth.
    On the flip side of that coin, a lot of the criticism is just people that love to kick someone while their down, although not as "down" as they would like. And it's not going to get any better for a while. It's just something we have to deal with. It's sink or swim for RIM, and trust me, the new course has not only been charted & started to sail already.
    Not to get all nit-picky with you, but the Galaxy S2 looks exactly like the Galaxy S1 Vibrant (or the international Galaxy S1 if you will) looking straight on from the front. I understand the point your trying to make, but I disagree, many android phones look ridiculously similar from year to year. Motorola Droid for instance?
    06-24-11 11:17 PM
    I think it is an objective review. There are always complains depending on reviewer's own perspectives. We are all different human beings. I think his or her tone is more positive than negative. I am glad RIM sticks with Bold 9000 look. Bold 9000 is probably the best selling bb todate. It is outdated but it is still used by many because of its fantastic keyboard and size. it is the best bb and the new bold is getting better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-11 01:21 AM
    I think the phone looks pretty damn good hardware wise but lets not pretend that RIM kind of hasn't released the same phone for a long time. Wasn't the Torch the only real departure after 10 give or take iterations. And even though they rag on that in the article he clearly says at the end that it's a step in the right direction, and he mentions at the start that it's the one fans have been waiting for.

I think we're selectively complaining. Also people need to stop comparing the iPhone with the Bold. It's nonsensical. Compare the torch and stuff to that but makes no sense with this one.

Anyway as for the phone, I like the responsiveness. It's apple/windows phone level. Much smoother than Android (shame on google for not getting this right yet).
    I like what you said except the last sentence. Please don't compare DOS/BB OS 6.1***to Android/Windows/IOS. Of course it will run smooth, there is nothing to it, damn I say the iphone in 2007 run smother than that powered by 1/4 of the processing power that the 9900 has as of now and was supporting a full screen device that requires more power. Don't forget the the BB 9900 is half the phone also, hence better battery life and feeling faster also. Put a real full screen on that device and new OS and come back here and talk to us.
    06-25-11 06:10 AM
    Okay, I wanna know something and I haven't seen anyone touch on it. I've seen the photos, the videos and other tid bits of info. I see it's fast (at least before AT&T shoves their bloatware on it), and responsive.......it looks damn nice, but what about the speakers? Is this bad boy going to sound as good (or better!!!) as the 9000? IMO, the 9000 has the best sound out of a BB - at least the ones I've used.

Any confirmation on the speakers?
    06-25-11 06:30 AM
    I like the look of the phone, except how the bezel is super thick on the front. Just my opinion.

The more I see of it, the more I think it looks too big to comfortably carry in a pocket. Maybe the thin profile makes up for it, but it looks pretty wide compared to the 9780.

Unless the people in all these videos have very small hands, anyway.
    06-25-11 07:47 AM
    Thanks for posting! A pretty much honest preview, except for the bullcrap camera part. The 9900 camera isn't the same as the on the Torch 2. The Torch 2 is Auto Focus and the 9900 is All Focus. I can't find any info about it, but I think it's the same as an EDoF camera (similar to the Nokia E6 "Full Focus"). Which is a totally different technology.

Auto Focus works a bit slower than EDoF, because it has to focus before you snap a picture. EDoF is a technology that can focus on anything from a distance of 50cm instantly (sorry, I'm a metric dude). The downside is that EDoF cannot focus on anything within 50cm distance, so you're pretty much screwed if you want to take any close-up pictures. One advantage of EDoF is that it takes less room than an Auto Focus camera lens, which means thinner phones. I prefer Auto Focus. Again, there's no info on the All Focus camera so all of this can be plain BS
    bigbamboo likes this.
    06-25-11 07:55 AM
    The more I see of it, the more I think it looks too big to comfortably carry in a pocket. Maybe the thin profile makes up for it, but it looks pretty wide compared to the 9780.

Yes the 9900 is rather large. Much larger than the 97xx. However it's not too big. The original 9000 was bulkier and it was ok. The 9900 is only slightly thicker than the iPhone4.
    The 9900 feels nice in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-25-11 11:00 AM
    Apple has done well with 1 device (iPhone).

RIM needs to get rid of some form factors to save money and decicate resources to R&D.

Just like GM, RIM needs to reduce thier offering and focus on key devices.

They needs to get rid of everything except the Torch, Full touchscreen device and 1 qwerty style (maybe 2, 97XX and 99XX) device.

Also, RIM needs to lower the prices of thier handsets. Like most have stated, phone hardware margins are getting slimmer and slimmer. If they don't become competetive in pricing, the Android market is going to kill RIM.
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    06-25-11 11:13 AM
    Lets not forget that Apple is a computer company that brought out a Phone, very well I might add, and RIM is a handset Company. I personally dont like the touch screen keyboards, I love the full qwerty key board on the Bold. Having said that I agree that RIM should keep the current form that they have and also develop a 4" full touch phone. Why not have both? Even put a device out using andriod. Compete with new inovative products. Personally I wold still buy a bold type phone. It all comes down to what you like. I have been around so many Iphone that friends have and really wouldnt use one if you gave it to me. I am not hating on Apple, it just doesnt appeal to me. I prefer something like the Bold.
    06-25-11 01:23 PM
    i can't wait for this to come out!
    06-25-11 08:19 PM

It's the same length and width as the 9000, but thinner. I had no problem with the size of the 9000. In fact I much prefer it over the 97**'s. My biggest complaint with the Torch is the cramped keyboard, which is about the same size as the 97**. If they had made the Torch the same width as the 9000, I'd be in smart-phone heaven.
    06-25-11 10:57 PM
    ...RIM needs to get rid of some form factors to save money...
    Which form factors do you think RIM is losing money on?
    I think they make a profit on all of them, so "getting rid of some" would actually cost them money.
    06-26-11 01:51 AM
    Which form factors do you think RIM is losing money on?
    I think they make a profit on all of them, so "getting rid of some" would actually cost them money.
    Really? The Pearl? I have not met one person in my life that owned one.
    More or less seen someone with one.

Blackberry Style? Seriously? What is that thing?
    Again, have yet to see someone in public with the thing.
    06-26-11 02:46 AM

My wife had the old pearl and now has the Pearl 3G. You'll more likely see them in the hands for girls then guys so you might be looking in the wrong direction, also they're quite small so you might mistake them for dumb phone at first look.

06-26-11 05:41 AM

I used to love my suretype devices until I got sick of developers neglecting making apps for them

06-26-11 05:44 AM
    The Pearl 3G is not suretype anymore, it's the same as most normal phones.

06-26-11 05:49 AM
    The Pearl 3G is not suretype anymore, it's the same as most normal phones.

We have the 9100 here you guys should have both of them the 9105

06-26-11 05:51 AM
    Lets not forget that Apple is a computer company that brought out a Phone, very well I might add, and RIM is a handset Company. I personally dont like the touch screen keyboards, I love the full qwerty key board on the Bold. Having said that I agree that RIM should keep the current form that they have and also develop a 4" full touch phone. Why not have both? Even put a device out using andriod. Compete with new inovative products. Personally I wold still buy a bold type phone. It all comes down to what you like. I have been around so many Iphone that friends have and really wouldnt use one if you gave it to me. I am not hating on Apple, it just doesnt appeal to me. I prefer something like the Bold.
    No way they will do this unless they can't get QNX working on a phone and even then they won't RIM is about security and android is not as secure. Everyone and their brother is using android on their phones because they can't get anything to work well on their own and it's free for manufacturers to use.

Maybe if RIM gets QNX working great they should offer it free to manufacturers to use on their phones they produce.
    06-26-11 05:53 AM
    I like what you said except the last sentence. Please don't compare DOS/BB OS 6.1***to Android/Windows/IOS. Of course it will run smooth, there is nothing to it, damn I say the iphone in 2007 run smother than that powered by 1/4 of the processing power that the 9900 has as of now and was supporting a full screen device that requires more power. Don't forget the the BB 9900 is half the phone also, hence better battery life and feeling faster also. Put a real full screen on that device and new OS and come back here and talk to us.
    Foe me this phone is a tool first, toy second.

Playbook covers my big screen needs. I need a keyboard I can use. Don't care why it's smother, just that it is. And I need the battery life.
    06-26-11 09:19 AM
    Just noticed the dates in the video and photos are June 1st/2nd How come they put this preview up like a month after filming?
    06-26-11 09:58 AM
    sooo pumped for the 9900. tricky thing is i may be moving to somewhere the 9900 won't work so it will be the 9930. does anyone know any big differences between the 2? besides cdma v gsm?
    06-26-11 11:41 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD