This morning I got this popup on my Bold 9900...

It looks like the end is neigh. - This is version 2.16.57

The end of whatsapp on BlackBerry... (31/12/16)-munch_2016_07_22_101301.png

Can anyone on an older version please check the 'settings' -> 'about' screen & see if you have the same message.

This raises an interesting question;
    Is Zuk going to block Whatsapp from Blackberry devices, or just render the app useless. It's time to start thinking how to get round this if we can.
    07-22-16 02:13 PM
    I've read that the Whatsapp server won't recognize even the Android app on BB10 after December, so it's safe to say Whatsapp will permanently die in January.

As for ways around it, there are exactly three ways.
    07-22-16 02:17 PM
    Actually there is another. BBM - We will be on Blackberry at work for some very long time to come.

Alas I won't touch a Windows phone *ever* I have to deal with those for work.
    I-things require I-tunes no. no. no.
    Andriod - Lets give all our data away to Google and let them sell it to whoever.
    Last edited by iamq; 07-23-16 at 06:57 AM.
    07-22-16 02:21 PM
    Hopefully something materializes that keeps What's App available on the BlackBerry devices but I am not hopeful.

I am not a WhatsApp user but the loss of such a vital app to many people, especially on legacy devices isn't good for BlackBerry and their service revenues. There may be an acceleration of people dumping their BlackBerry devices in a lot of markets.

Hopefully BlackBerry has something to counter this in some regards.

All the best

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 06:04 PM
    I am a heavy Whatsapp user and I cannot convince everyone to download BBM onto their glass slabs. If this is what hapens then I am going to savour every day I have with whatsapp as it works perfectly on the 9900 and ios for me. BUT there is nothing as beautiful an experience as using whatsapp on a brand new 9900 keyboard.......

I am still going to use the 9900 after Whatsapp fades into oblivion. It won't be as enjoyable but anything else I can use that keyboard for might make up for it.

I blame Zuckerberg because I honestly believe he does not care about one company and ESPECIALLY a Canadian company that depends on this app. Just imagine if it was Apple's last leg and he was doing this.....people would be rioting in the streets over American job losses!

And I know exactly what some people will say "it's blackberries fault and blah blah blah they never adapted blah blah blah "but the bottom line is when someone or some company is down this is like kicking them in the stomach!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-23-16 03:28 AM
    http://www.gadget.co.za/blackberry-refuses-to-go-away/

Don't give up just yet...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by David Tyler; 07-23-16 at 09:40 AM.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    07-23-16 07:23 AM
    I am a heavy Whatsapp user and I cannot convince everyone to download BBM onto their glass slabs.
    I've never understood that reaction (yes, I'm aware this isn't BBM Central). I asked my work team to download BBM, and they were all impressed. In fact, the only person I've asked to try it who subsequently poo-poo'd it is >blush!!< my oldest son, a rabid WasteCrook fan.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    07-23-16 05:48 PM
    I've never understood that reaction (yes, I'm aware this isn't BBM Central). I asked my work team to download BBM, and they were all impressed. In fact, the only person I've asked to try it who subsequently poo-poo'd it is >blush!!< my oldest son, a rabid WasteCrook fan.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    I honestly think that people are just too lazy to bother with pins. With whatsapp if the friends number is in the contacts you don't have to do anything it's ready to go, Plus it's considered cool and I don't most think BBM is cool anymore well not since 2005. But at least those who have had a BlackBerry know how good it is.
    07-23-16 06:03 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	munch_2016_07_22_101301.png 
Views:	613 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	404580

Can anyone on an older version please check the 'settings' -> 'about' screen & see if you have the same message.

Is Zuk going to block Whatsapp from Blackberry devices, or just render the app useless. It's time to start thinking how to get round this if we can.
    i have 2.16.18 and i haven't had any of these messages yet. Are the newer updates set to get these updates a lot?

07-24-16 05:42 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	munch_2016_07_22_101301.png 
Views:	613 
Size:	244.5 KB 
ID:	404580

I see stuff like that and just mutter, "C'mon Blackberry, give us a 9900-worthy PKB phone again."

I go on and off my 9900 for a month or so at a time, and while "on" it I just love it so much, but it's got so many damning flaws-- not just from lack of apps (duh), but just lack of updates in general.

So pretty please Blackberry, please do the PKB phone right before the deadline for WhatsApp happens!
    07-24-16 12:08 PM
    Dont worry you can still using whatsapp installing whatsapp for Android, you Will find a bug that wont let you send files but you can Fix it installing an app from beta zone call "...fixer" by ninja cell. After that whatsapp for Android in your BlackBerry will work Just fine.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-16 12:58 PM
    I've read that the Whatsapp server won't recognize even the Android app on BB10 after December, so it's safe to say Whatsapp will permanently die in January.

As for ways around it, there are exactly three ways.
    Why is this even a thread? OLD<VERY<OLD<NEWS.
    07-24-16 01:35 PM
    I honestly think that people are just too lazy to bother with pins.
    Oh, I agree completely. Unless you're one of the increasingly small number of people who actually see the privacy advantage of a.) not having to give out your phone number for each new contact (e.g., you and I are BBM contacts, Ralph, but we don't know each other's phone numbers; in FACT, I don't have phone numbers for the majority of my BBM contacts! -- but we can chat and do BBM voice without having to swap phone numbers) and b.) not having WhatsApp auto-raid your contacts list, the PIN isn't worth the bother.
    07-25-16 12:40 PM
    Oh, I agree completely. Unless you're one of the increasingly small number of people who actually see the privacy advantage of a.) not having to give out your phone number for each new contact (e.g., you and I are BBM contacts, Ralph, but we don't know each other's phone numbers; in FACT, I don't have phone numbers for the majority of my BBM contacts! -- but we can chat and do BBM voice without having to swap phone numbers) and b.) not having WhatsApp auto-raid your contacts list, the PIN isn't worth the bother.
    Yup and I do like how Whatsapp seemed to get serious about the encryption, and now it is pretty secure. As we know, Whatsapp had several updates in the last few months and it would be a shame to just pull the plug because as far as I am concerned, the messenger is now perfected and works FLAWLESSLY on my 9900. (actually it always did for me anyway, no matter which platform/device was used)

BBM is encrypted, but I wonder who's is the best.

07-25-16 03:43 PM
    I blame Zuckerberg because I honestly believe he does not care about one company and ESPECIALLY a Canadian company that depends on this app. Just imagine if it was Apple's last leg and he was doing this.....people would be rioting in the streets over American job losses!
    So, Zuckerburg is a bad person because his corporation is dropping support on something that's less than 1% of the market?!

Dude, IT COSTS MONEY TO SUPPORT APPLICATIONS / PLATFORMS. They're not a charity.
    07-25-16 04:51 PM
    So, Zuckerburg is a bad person because his corporation is dropping support on something that's less than 1% of the market?!

Dude, IT COSTS MONEY TO SUPPORT APPLICATIONS / PLATFORMS. They're not a charity.
    Bull! All the infastructure is already developed and existing. It costs a lot less to simply keep it up than initially developing it! Like I said if the tables were turned, and this was an American company about to tank, like Apple or Microsoft, there would be action taken and public outcry!

There are a lot of Canadian jobs on the line for Canada if Blackberry fails, so once in a while we like to put Canada first too!

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-25-16 at 05:45 PM.
    07-25-16 04:55 PM
    It's too bad Zuckerberg ever bought Whatsapp! He could care LESS about how many companies it effects, only how much $ it makes. Competition is a good thing, and buying WA affects entire companies in one way or another.

I remember the talk a few years ago about Apple possibly buying Blackberry (and they could have had it for a song) just so they could have all that excellent and time-proven BBM technology and patents for their imessage, but they never did. This was likely a GOOD thing also because under Apple, they would have probably sold Blackberry or killed it entirely the minute it didn't make massive profits for them. THAT is how big corporations think.

Now that GM killed Oldsmobile, the division is DEAD, same for Pontiac. Now that the American economy is recovering and people have some $ again, there is no chance of there ever being a new 2016 Pontiac Trans Am to buy, or the new 2017 Cutlass Supreme. Once a company is dead it's DEAD! And there is NO coming back!

My point is many companies can make a comeback, and many have learned to "never say never."

In Canada you won't see too many people saying "KILL IT, IT's not making $! I think we have a different approach toward our own companies. We want to see then succeed, whatever it takes! We had the Nortel fiasco and that was a lesson learned. But we want to see more support for Blackberry and killing apps that work well with Blackberry that the company is dependant on for millions is not going to help the company when the app is already there and currently up and running with minimal fuss.

So tie it all together......GM killing Pontiac.......Zuckerberg killing Whatsapp hurting Blackberry.......you should get the BIG picture. Not to mention all the people demanding GM be killed off (we see this in here with Blackberry also) and this would have crippled the North American economy because GM is THAT big! Tens of thousands of other smaller companies that build parts for GM and were contracted to them would have been wiped out. Electronics, glass makers, bolts, lights, wiring, you name it!

So look at the BIG picture and not "peanuts" because peanuts is all it would cost Zuckerberg to keep whatsapp open!

http://www.cnet.com/news/if-whatsapp...rys-bbm-worth/

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 07-25-16 at 05:39 PM.
    07-25-16 05:25 PM
    BBM is encrypted, but I wonder who's is the best.
    Vanilla BBM is "sorta-kinda" encrypted; BBM Protected is seriously encrypted with multiple layers. I have a subscription for BBM Protected, and to me (not to everyone, mind you, but to me), it's worth the $32/year to have end-to-end encryption on a platform designed for me to communicate -- not designed to mine my data for Zuckerberg and his minions to sell.
    07-25-16 07:48 PM
    In my opinion, Zuckerberg's a "bad person" because he has knowing duped people -- millions of people -- into using his nonsense by claiming it's "free." As a matter of philosophy, I believe people should be responsible for their own decisions, so I can't argue "there oughta be a rule" or something; but I can offer my opinion that he's on shaky ethical grounds, taking advantage of mass ignorance.
    07-25-16 07:54 PM
    Vanilla BBM is "sorta-kinda" encrypted; BBM Protected is seriously encrypted with multiple layers. I have a subscription for BBM Protected, and to me (not to everyone, mind you, but to me), it's worth the $32/year to have end-to-end encryption on a platform designed for me to communicate -- not designed to mine my data for Zuckerberg and his minions to sell.

I suspect your BBM protected is obviously with your corporate or government plan?

I have previous emailed Matt Talbot who runs BBM for BlackBerry and he put me in touch with someone at HQ regarding BBM. I asked him if they ever plan on doing a BBM protected for consumers and he said it was something that was being considered for the future.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 07:54 PM
    I suspect your BBM protected is obviously with your corporate or government plan?
    Yeah; except the corporation in question is me. To be clear, what I mean by that is that when I signed up, I just put my name in as the business. It's a bit of a hassle -- and I'll certainly agree with those who argue it ought to be easier!! -- but anyone can get it. You don't have to have a BES setup or anything.

https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...bbm-protected/ From this site:

"Is BBM Protected Available to Consumers?

You may have expected that this enhancement to BBM would be available via the new BBM Shop, right? This unfortunately is not the case. It must be purchased through BlackBerry's Enterprise Store. ‎It is a component of BlackBerry's eBBM suite and is marketed towards Enterprises.

That being said, you can still register an account with the Enterprise store as a consumer. Forms will ask for a company name, though unofficially you can specify your own name in that field. If you have a credit card - they'll gladly take your money."
    07-25-16 07:57 PM
    Yeah; except the corporation in question is me. To be clear, what I mean by that is that when I signed up, I just put my name in as the business. It's a bit of a hassle -- and I'll certainly agree with those who argue it ought to be easier!! -- but anyone can get it. You don't have to have a BES setup or anything.

https://www.blackberrycentral.com/ne...bbm-protected/ From this site:

"Is BBM Protected Available to Consumers?

You may have expected that this enhancement to BBM would be available via the new BBM Shop, right? This unfortunately is not the case. It must be purchased through BlackBerry's Enterprise Store. ‎It is a component of BlackBerry's eBBM suite and is marketed towards Enterprises.

That being said, you can still register an account with the Enterprise store as a consumer. Forms will ask for a company name, though unofficially you can specify your own name in that field. If you have a credit card - they'll gladly take your money."

Thanks for this info! I may look into this a bit more on my end! If all that is required is a corporate name and a payment, I will look into signing up. I was under the impression that you needed a BES server or BES cloud for this.

Thanks again

Posted via CB10
    07-25-16 08:26 PM

So look at the BIG picture and not "peanuts" because peanuts is all it would cost Zuckerberg to keep whatsapp open!
    So are you saying the FB shareholders should operate a corporate welfare program to prop up failing phone companies?
    07-25-16 08:32 PM
    So are you saying the FB shareholders should operate a corporate welfare program to prop up failing phone companies?
    So you are assuming that Blackberry is already in the grave. If the app is already there it is NOT a welfare, I cannot see it costing much, not for Zuckerberg!

07-25-16 10:57 PM
    The Japanese sure do not think your way! If they did then Subaru would have been dead 20 years ago!

07-25-16 10:58 PM
65 123