Coming from the 9650 there are a few areas RIM really messed up in the efficiency area.

On my 9650, I could have 6 different items to choose from (i.e email, sms, calendar, etc) that were available right from my home screen. On the 9930, I come to a blank screen (well, the "wallpaper") with a pull up menu at the bottom. This means I have to make an extra click just to get to something that I will inevitably need to no matter what. Did RIM do this just so we can see our pretty wallpaper without any ugly icons blocking any part of it? Yes, I know... I am nitpicking... but this is an extra button press I need to do hundreds of times a day.

On my 9650, I used to be able to press "P" "A" "U" and Paul's contact info would pop up... I would click on it and I could then text him directly by pressing one key. With the 9930, I have to press the "talk" button type "PAUL", click the BB key, then click the "Call Paul" or "Text Paul" option. Why wouldn't RIM just include both Text and Call in the same drop down menu? I mean heck, they have "switch application", "call voicemail", "view", "phone ring tones" and a slew of other useless options when you click on the person's name... but NOT both text and call options. This means for every time I need to text someone (my main means of communication these days), it takes an additional TWO key presses then the old 9650.

I have many other gripes about reduced efficiency (e.g. missing second convenience key?????) but I'm dead tired now... The number one advantage RIM has over its competitors is increased efficiency and ease of use. Yes, people can argue that there are many new features that make it more efficient than their older phones... but why go backwards with some features of the older model. Either you IMPROVE the features or KEEP THEM THE SAME.
    08-25-11 05:10 AM
    If I understood you correctly, both your main problems don't exist on my 9900, they are as you described, just like the 9650 (which I assume was on OS6?)

1) You can have just one line of icons at the bottom of the screen, showing 6 options, or you can 2 line of 6, 3 lines of 6, or nothing (which you have to click to open)

2) I have a contact called Paul as well, and from the main screen I just typed P A U and the first option that the Universal Search gave me was my contact for PAUL, just one click and I'm into his details to call, text etc......

Convenience keys don't bother me as I don't use them, but if you do then I can at least understand you being frustrated with not having the extra one.

If I've mis-understood you then please say?

08-25-11 09:14 AM
    On my 9650, I used to be able to press "P" "A" "U" and Paul's contact info would pop up... I would click on it and I could then text him directly by pressing one key. With the 9930, I have to press the "talk" button type "PAUL", click the BB key, then click the "Call Paul" or "Text Paul" option. Why wouldn't RIM just include both Text and Call in the same drop down menu? I mean heck, they have "switch application", "call voicemail", "view", "phone ring tones" and a slew of other useless options when you click on the person's name... but NOT both text and call options. This means for every time I need to text someone (my main means of communication these days), it takes an additional TWO key presses then the old 9650.
    Are you sure you have universal search enabled?
    08-25-11 09:17 AM
    Get used to it.

Efficiency is much better in the OS 6 and 7 Devices.
    For example. To read and respond.
    M, space, u, enter, Type message, enter.

Phone call to Nick Bergherm
    Phone button,
    Type "Ni Be"
    call.

Efficiency
    08-25-11 09:19 AM
    Pj737, if you want more convenience keys, just download the app called "SixTools", it turns ur volume up/down and play/pause keys into convenience keys, they"ll work just like the normal convenience key
    And also, if you're listening to music, for example via the mp3 player, tunein, youtube etc, they're set back to just being volume/play/pause buttons automatically
    Once you're done with music, they turn back into convenience keys
    Really nice, you should try it = 4 convenience keys !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 09:34 AM
    And also, if you're listening to music, for example via the mp3 player, tunein, youtube etc, they're set back to just being volume/play/pause buttons automatically
    I did not know this.
    But now I shall be buying it.
    08-25-11 09:46 AM
    If I understood you correctly, both your main problems don't exist on my 9900, they are as you described, just like the 9650 (which I assume was on OS6?)

1) You can have just one line of icons at the bottom of the screen, showing 6 options, or you can 2 line of 6, 3 lines of 6, or nothing (which you have to click to open)

2) I have a contact called Paul as well, and from the main screen I just typed P A U and the first option that the Universal Search gave me was my contact for PAUL, just one click and I'm into his details to call, text etc......

Convenience keys don't bother me as I don't use them, but if you do then I can at least understand you being frustrated with not having the extra one.

If I've mis-understood you then please say?

The problem is that 99% of the time when I use my phone it is to contact someone by voice or text... so on my old phone, I would just type directly into the phone (without pressing any keys) the first couple letters of the contact name... and the name would pop up... I would click on it and can then call or text from there.

I do have it set for universal search, however, when I pick up my phone to call or text someone I press the "talk" key first because then when I type in the first couple letters it will ONLY search/pull from my phone contacts. If I type P A U into universal search I get about 20 different items and Paul's contact is not the first in the list... so I have to find it. That is not going to work. That extra press of a key ("talk" key) is not really so much a nuisance... it's that when I am ONLY in contacts (after pressing the "talk" key) the drop down list should have both TEXT and CALL options... but it only shows "contact" so then I have to choose that option... and after that, choose whether to call or text. BOTH options should be on the drop down menu.... not one option (call) and then text in a submenu.

Yes, I love universal search... WHEN I need to use it (which isn't anywhere near as often as calling/texting). I wish RIMM stopped messing with the core efficiencies of their phones... it really ticks off the hardcore BB enthusiasts because efficiency is the ONLY reason why we're so loyal.
    08-25-11 03:17 PM
    Pj737, if you want more convenience keys, just download the app called "SixTools", it turns ur volume up/down and play/pause keys into convenience keys, they"ll work just like the normal convenience key
    Really nice, you should try it = 4 convenience keys !

Nice! I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    08-25-11 03:21 PM
    Get used to it.

Efficiency is much better in the OS 6 and 7 Devices.
    For example. To read and respond.
    M, space, u, enter, Type message, enter.

Phone call to Nick Bergherm
    Phone button,
    Type "Ni Be"
    call.

Efficiency
    Not sure what you mean about the first part but as for the searching "Nick Bergherm", the same "Ni Be"... call... worked on the old OS on my old 9650.
    08-25-11 03:23 PM
    I do have it set for universal search, however, when I pick up my phone to call or text someone I press the "talk" key first because then when I type in the first couple letters it will ONLY search/pull from my phone contacts. If I type P A U into universal search I get about 20 different items and Paul's contact is not the first in the list... so I have to find it. That is not going to work.
    I have 3 Pauls in my contact list and when I type P A U the contacts come up first in the list, then emails, then texts. The 3 Paul contacts are in alphabetical order too; Paul (no last name), Paul Bxxxx and Paul Cxxxxx. I'm surprised BB7 would be radically different from BB6 in this respect.
    08-25-11 03:25 PM
    Nice! I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    no problem ! : )
    08-25-11 03:57 PM
    Just need to wait for custom themes, then you can have the OS5 home screen style back.
    08-25-11 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD