I know it is kind of a bummer the 99xx has an edof camera now instead of auto focus. But there are some pretty impressive photos out there with similar cameras. Some of the current 99xx users have been posting photos in less than ideal settings to show its deficiencies. I'm sure a lot of people have a bad impression now.

Personally, I have been very impressed with my 9550s photos for its time. I think it always outperformed the iPhone 3GS from my experience comparing with friends. The auto focus was great and I saw great results in everything besides low light/night shots.

So I am as disappointed as many of you in the lack of auto focus now. But after doing some research and understanding how the fixed focus works, I see some nice benefits. First, it snaps shots nearly instantly. It has a fixed lense so movement is not required. As a result, it uses less space allowing for a thinner phone design, i.e. the Bold 9900s 10.5mm thin body.

Great pictures have been taken with edof cameras. For example, the Nokia E7 has an 8MP edof lense. Here are some sample photos taken from the guys at Engadget. Like auto focus cell cameras, edof needs a little effort to get shots to look good.

More can be found here Nokia E7 sample shots - Engadget Galleries

Many of them are grainy but I posted some that stood out to me. My point is there is still potential for great shots.

As for close of document shots, there is a solution. It's unfortunate that we have to do it but if you take a shot from further away, you can eventually zoom/crop the subject. 5MP is a large resolution to play with and to allow this to be done without pixelation. Here is a link to explain.

Document capture on Nokia's new EDoF camera phones (e.g. E7)

Edit:

I took a close up shot of some some text from a book I had using my PlayBook. The camera should be nearly identical since they are both 5MP edof. Obviously I'm lacking flash but wouldn't need it in this situation as it was pretty well lit. I used the method I posted above. I basically held it away while digitally zooming in to get the optimum crispness (cropping), Unfortunately this was the best I could get in the lighting condition. It's still easily legible. There is just a bit of graininess and might not be AS sharp as with autofocus.

Also, unlike the PlayBook, the Bold 99xx will have software aids like close-up mode. So hopefully we can get slightly better results using it. Also, we can hope for improvements in the camera with firmware updates.

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 08-07-11 at 01:38 PM.
    johnmarki, tkong, snickdog and 6 others like this.
    08-07-11 03:54 AM
    Many of them are grainy but I posted some that stood out to me. My point is there is still potential for great shots.
    It seems like most shots turn out fine except for the close-ups. Even on my Torch, I have trouble taking photos of paperwork, because if my hand budges even slightly while the shutter is closing, I'll have to retake the shot.
    08-07-11 04:51 AM
    Nice photos
    08-07-11 04:55 AM
    I was dissapointed when I heard it wasn't auto focus but the benefits far outweigh the downfalls. I have been waiting for a slim Blackberry for a very long time.
    08-07-11 05:32 AM
    It seems like most shots turn out fine except for the close-ups. Even on my Torch, I have trouble taking photos of paperwork, because if my hand budges even slightly while the shutter is closing, I'll have to retake the shot.
    This would be your inability to control camera shake and not a focusing problem. I take images of 8X10 papers all the time for my company records and the 9900 does very well in good light to increase shutter speed. Crystal sharp!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 08-07-11 at 06:30 AM.
    satanberry and yerfgofe like this.
    08-07-11 06:17 AM
    This would be your inability to control camera shake and not a focusing problem. I take images of 8X10 papers all the time for my company records and the 9900 does very well in good light to increase shutter speed. Crystal sharp!
    Posting a picture showing a decent text page taken with the 9900 would end all close-up discussions and will be greatly appreciated
    08-07-11 06:51 AM
    Honestly if my phone can capture a photo here or there - its good for me. Im not friggin Olan Mills here.
    08-07-11 07:56 AM
    Posting a picture showing a decent text page taken with the 9900 would end all close-up discussions and will be greatly appreciated
    I was going to do that but it would prove nothing. Soem would be impressed and other would scream about the poor image quality. I use a Leica M9 and two Nikon DSLRs and recognise the 9900 camera for what it is.

Posting examples would just be starting another rant.

Like the above poster said, this ain't Olan Mills! I love it!
    08-07-11 08:19 AM
    I was going to do that but it would prove nothing. Soem would be impressed and other would scream about the poor image quality. I use a Leica M9 and two Nikon DSLRs and recognise the 9900 camera for what it is.

Posting examples would just be starting another rant.

Like the above poster said, this ain't Olan Mills! I love it!
    Wait! Olan Mills is still around?
    08-07-11 08:22 AM
    Honestly if my phone can capture a photo here or there - its good for me. Im not friggin Olan Mills here.
    Ha ha....classic.
    I think the hubub surrounding this EDoF deal on the 9900 is a lack of education and the fear of deviating for the "norm".
    From what I've read, I'm excited about it.
    Everyone talks about low light....the 9900 has camera flash (gebhardt)
    08-07-11 08:27 AM
    from Fixed-focus lens Wiki "Fixed focus can be a less expensive alternative to autofocus, which requires electronics, moving parts, and power. Since a fixed-focus lenses require no input from the operator, they are suitable for use in cameras designed to be inexpensive, or to operate without electrical power" It looks like AF feature was traded for thinner chassis and smaller battery. It's too bad; however, it doesn't stop me from getting it.
    Last edited by imcurved; 08-07-11 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo
    08-07-11 09:31 AM
    This is as much proof as I need that this camera will work fine for my needs. Thanks Greg!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-07-11 09:40 AM
    .....Ditto........10 char

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-11 09:43 AM
    I know it is kind of a bummer the 99xx has an edof camera now instead of auto focus. But there are some pretty impressive photos out there with similar cameras. Some of the current 99xx users have been posting photos in less than ideal settings to show its deficiencies. I'm sure a lot of people have a bad impression now.

Personally, I have been very impressed with my 9550s photos for its time. I think it always outperformed the iPhone 3GS from my experience comparing with friends. The auto focus was great and I saw great results in everything besides low light/night shots.

So I am as disappointed as many of you in the lack of auto focus now. But after doing some research and understanding how the fixed focus works, I see some nice benefits. First, it snaps shots nearly instantly. It has a fixed lense so movement is not required. As a result, it uses less space allowing for a thinner phone design, i.e. the Bold 9900s 10.5mm thin body.

Great pictures have been taken with edof cameras. For example, the Nokia E7 has an 8MP edof lense. Here are some sample photos taken from the guys at Engadget. Like auto focus cell cameras, edof needs a little effort to get shots to look good.

More can be found here Nokia E7 sample shots - Engadget Galleries

As for close of document shots, there is a solution. It's unfortunate that we have to do it but if you take a shot from further away, you can eventually zoom/crop the subject. 5MP is a large resolution to play with and to allow this to be done without pixelation. Here is a link to explain.

Document capture on Nokia's new EDoF camera phones (e.g. E7)

Agreed, those pictures look good however they are not the type of pictures traditionally taken on a 'business phone'. People that do insurance adjustments and other things which require pictures taken of texts such as service books for vehicles that come in off lease need to be able to take shots of things that are much closer.

If RIM is having their Bold line migrate away from the business concept into more of a social phone that's fine - I don't understand it but they can do whatever they want with it.

Did you see the pictures taken of text from the guy with the new 9930? They are literally illegible and that is the type of picture a "business phone" needs to be able to take.
    CGI likes this.
    08-07-11 10:46 AM
    Agreed, those pictures look good however they are not the type of pictures traditionally taken on a 'business phone'. People that do insurance adjustments and other things which require pictures taken of texts such as service books for vehicles that come in off lease need to be able to take shots of things that are much closer.

If RIM is having their Bold line migrate away from the business concept into more of a social phone that's fine - I don't understand it but they can do whatever they want with it.

Did you see the pictures taken of text from the guy with the new 9930? They are literally illegible and that is the type of picture a "business phone" needs to be able to take.
    I use my 9780 at work in the exact situations you describe; some close-ups of documents, tags, and of products.

I'm REALLY disappointed in what I see here with the 9900 camera!!
    ettorwe likes this.
    08-07-11 10:53 AM
    This would be your inability to control camera shake and not a focusing problem.
    That's my point. You have to have a rock-steady hand to really take advantage of auto-focus on close-up shots, or something to prop the camera up.
    08-07-11 11:11 AM
    The first thing I'm going to do is test the camera if I don't like it I aint buying it and moving on !
    I hope they haven't shot them selves in the foot
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-07-11 11:11 AM
    The first thing I'm going to do is test the camera if I don't like it I aint buying it and moving on !
    I hope they haven't shot them selves in the foot
    LOL! I would buy the 9900 even it had NO camera!
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-07-11 11:16 AM
    After a half of a pot of coffee in poor lighting I offer the following examples of what my Bold 9650 can do - these types of pictures ( as far as distance taken from ) are common in the business community.

If RIM has produced a smart phone that can't take at least as good of pictures at this distance.....
    ...RIM has absolutely shot itself in the foot.
    ...Or stuffed something up it's own you know what.

Remember, these pictures are from WAY yesterdays tech.
    CGI and howarmat like this.
    08-07-11 11:18 AM
    After a half of a pot of coffee in poor lighting I offer the following examples of what my Bold 9650 can do - these types of pictures ( as far as distance taken from ) are common in the business community.

If RIM has produced a smart phone that can't take at least as good of pictures at this distance.....

My Playbook takes far better pictures then this, so I guess I'm not concerned.

Remember folks, if you want to take good smartphone pictures remember to CLEAN THE LENS COVER. That's the #1 reason why shots turn out bad...
    08-07-11 11:26 AM
    My Playbook takes far better pictures then this, so I guess I'm not concerned.

Remember folks, if you want to take good smartphone pictures remember to CLEAN THE LENS COVER. That's the #1 reason why shots turn out bad...
    Than by all means demonstrate it by posting some pictures of "text".....
    ...Be it from the newspaper, Bible, whatever - just get them posted.
    08-07-11 11:30 AM
    Than by all means demonstrate it by posting some pictures of "text".....
    ...Be it from the newspaper, Bible, whatever - just get them posted.
    OK then, a quick and dirty photo of text, done with my shaky hands.
    08-07-11 11:44 AM

These are exactly the types of pictures I take almost daily on the job.

Perhaps the engineering unit we've seen some pictures from is not final spec?
    08-07-11 11:45 AM
    I think this camera talk is getting blown out of proportion. We know this phone is going to be great and I'm sure that the picture taking ability will be just fine.
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-07-11 11:46 AM
    OK then, a quick and dirty photo of text, done with my shaky hands.
    if you wouldn't mind please take another, you don't want to use that as your example of no problems with the camera, do you?
    southlander likes this.
    08-07-11 11:50 AM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD