OK...there is a lot of chatter about the 9900 and EDoF. From what I've read, pix are fantastic for 60cm....about 2 ft.
    Does anyone know if this Extended Depth of Field technology will affect bar code scanning or NFC functionality of the 9900?
    I know the device hasen't dropped yet, and all I've read is a lot of "speculation".
    Can someone please give an educated comment?
    Thanks in advance for your "experienced" comment
    08-06-11 08:45 AM
    It may affect bar code scanning. I remember not be able to scan any on the bold 9000 because of lack of AF, but maybe it can focus closer than that one.

Don't see how the camera would affect NFC though, has nothing to do with the camera afaik.
    08-06-11 08:51 AM
    Posted this in another thread too...

DxO DOP7+ EDoF: An Ultra Low Cost Alternative to Autofocus

The technology has improved. Barcodes, business cards, documents, head shots are no longer a problem. Macro shots are down to 10cm (4"). Sounds good enough to me!
    ratchetjaw#AC and mssca like this.
    08-06-11 09:22 AM
    Just thinking it must be able to do bar codes to some extent. They had to have tested the connecting bridge to the playbook with the scan method?
    08-06-11 09:22 AM
    Well Hopefully someone with a 9900 can come in here and show a detailed picture of a Business card, and let us know if they can add someone to BBM or use PlayBook Bridge connecting with barcodes.
    08-06-11 09:24 AM
    I have a 9300 right now that does NOT have auto focus. I have no trouble scanning barcodes.
    Masahiro and barrist like this.
    08-06-11 09:31 AM
    My 9900 has no problem scanning barcodes. This is a non-issue.
    08-06-11 09:47 AM
    I was hoping you would chime in. Thank you for putting that rest
    08-06-11 09:48 AM
    Posted this in another thread too...

DxO DOP7+ EDoF: An Ultra Low Cost Alternative to Autofocus

The technology has improved. Barcodes, business cards, documents, head shots are no longer a problem. Macro shots are down to 10cm (4"). Sounds good enough to me!
    Thanks man....this sheds some light on the issue. Thank you.
    As much RIM crack back on this site, it's hard to "filter" out the bs.
    I learned a long time ago "believe none of what you hear, 1/2 of what you see"
    I'm just trying to get as educated as I can before the os7 rig's drop.
    I loved my 9k.....also loved my 8300, 8310, 9700 and now my Torch.
    I'm not a BB fanboy....I'm a BB user. It's the UI that works best for me.
    08-06-11 09:51 AM
    Thank you.
    Maybe this thread will now reference the positives of the 9900 instead of the "epic fail"
    (although I haven't heard this particular phrased used yet)
    08-06-11 09:54 AM
    I was hoping you would chime in. Thank you for putting that rest
    I was p|ssed when I found out the camera did not focus but to tell you the truth, this all works quite well. In fact the 9900 takes darn sharp images both close and far.
    ratchetjaw#AC likes this.
    08-06-11 09:57 AM
    I was p|ssed when I found out the camera did not focus but to tell you the truth, this all works quite well. In fact the 9900 takes darn sharp images both close and far.
    Thanks once again, i am really excited about this phone and for the first time believe my phone hopping will cease. Been waiting on this since the 9000
    08-06-11 09:59 AM
    Keep it comming, man. The more I read, the more "at ease" I feel.
    08-06-11 10:00 AM
    Thanks once again, i am really excited about this phone and for the first time believe my phone hopping will cease. Been waiting on this since the 9000
    10 char......As have I
    08-06-11 10:02 AM
    The bar-code scanner on the BB's I've played with work about a 1/3rd as good as an Apple or Droid - given my bold has the AF for the camera I wonder if what was causing the problem could be just not enough power under the hood?

I've been in stores with friends on Droids and iphones and they can pull codes on their phones lightning quick and seriously mine works perhaps 3 out of 10 times. I would just end up taking a picture of the box and doing a google price search for it after I got home.
    mnwelsh likes this.
    08-06-11 11:07 AM
    I really would like to see the details of a business card photographed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 11:09 AM
    The bar-code scanner on the BB's I've played with work about a 1/3rd as good as an Apple or Droid - given my bold has the AF for the camera I wonder if what was causing the problem could be just not enough power under the hood?

I've been in stores with friends on Droids and iphones and they can pull codes on their phones lightning quick and seriously mine works perhaps 3 out of 10 times. I would just end up taking a picture of the box and doing a google price search for it after I got home.
    I have had the same happen with regular photos with many Android phones i have had. Just sitting around the house takes pics fine and they look great. Out at party/vacation/event (has happened at least 4 with different phones) go to take a pic and phone freezes or force closes. Point being it happens to them all in some form or fashion. I like to keep it simple and to just work
    08-06-11 11:15 AM
    on My 9700, i never really had a problem with bar codes. Would add bbm contacts, scan qr codes for apps and even generate my own codes to send to friends. with the same camera on on the pb thats on the bold 9900, im sure that the camera will be kick *** as i have seen sample pictures and its truly hd.
    08-06-11 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD