Ok so there's been some discussion on some users' 9900/9930 where there's a difference in height between the edge of the screen and the plastic overlay for the buttons surrounding the trackpad. I'm wondering if it's supposed to be 100% flush between the screen and the plastic overlay for the buttons. When I glide my finger downward from the screen towards the buttons, I can feel the plastic overlay for the buttons to be slightly higher. Going the other way, buttons towards the screen I don't notice it as much. Is this normal? I went back to the store today and they tried to convince me it is and that one of the sales person had the same phone with the same feel. Did we both get a bad batch or is this how it should be?
    dlob0099 likes this.
    08-23-11 07:53 PM
    My 9930 is exactly as you described.
    08-23-11 08:01 PM
    My 9930 is exactly as you described.
    Mine too is exaclty how you described..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-11 08:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies and confirmation! Guess this is normal and how it should be?
    08-23-11 08:11 PM
    I just glided my finger up and down from the buttons to the screen from left to right. It feels perfectly flush all the way across until I get to the very edge on the right. The screen is a fraction of a millimeter higher or the buttons are depressed a fraction of a millimeter however you look at it. No big deal to me..lol
    08-23-11 08:13 PM
    Yup same here on my sprint 9930...no biggie...I'm not worried...its a normal thing

08-23-11 08:19 PM
    Chalk another one up for slightly higher than screen. It doesn't bother me either
    08-23-11 10:14 PM
    Mine is the same plus when I received mine the lower right panel was popped off. None of these devices are perfect.

08-23-11 10:19 PM
    Left side is higher than right side which is almost flush. Over time, a ramp of skin cells will build creating a smoother form function.
    08-23-11 10:52 PM
    Mine is the same plus when I received mine the lower right panel was popped off. None of these devices are perfect.

I take it you've been using RIM products a long time.
    08-23-11 10:55 PM
    Mine is completely flush which is the way it should be. It wouldn't be logical that there would be any height difference. I returned my first unit because when you moved your finger down the panel actually felt sharp. The next one was much better but the trackpad was not aligned in its hole i.e. squished off to the left side. My 3rd on is perfect but still has the misaligned trackpad. I figure I'm not going to worry about that given that the screen and panel are seemless.

I should also note that of about 10 or so 9900s I've seen about 6 are flush and the rest had a height difference, albeit not that worth worrying about.
    dlob0099 likes this.
    08-23-11 10:59 PM
    Mine is 99.5% flush, but when I added the thick matt screen protector...screen ended up a tad higher and perhaps a few microns higher on the left side, perfectly acceptable.
    08-23-11 11:04 PM
    Mine is 99.5% flush, but when I added the thick matt screen protector...screen ended up a tad higher and perhaps a few microns higher on the left side, perfectly acceptable.
    Where did you get a matte screen protector? Been looking to get one, which may just even out the height difference. Gonna stop by another Sprint store tomorrow to see if they have this same issue...
    08-23-11 11:45 PM
    Yes same here on my 9900. The buttons are slightly raised.
    But wow some people are picky. I hadn't even observed this till I came across this thread.
    I'd hate to be a carpenter in the OP's home.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-23-11 11:50 PM
    I guess my swipes of the trackpad are larger than most... My thumb actually hits the raise most of the time when I swipe at the trackpad. Rather than waste time going through a bunch of 9930s looking for the perfect one, I think I'll just get a screen protector to even this out.

08-24-11 08:13 AM
    i've had 2 units from 2 different retailers, both though are 'made in hungary 2'.

handset #1 is flush all the way along except just at the very lefthand side above the call button it is slightly lower than the screen, so as you move up away from the call button towards the screen it is slightly noticeable. but the 'blackberry' key doesn't give off a good 'click' sound and a couple of keyboard keys do not 'click' as nice as the rest of the keyboard does!

handset #2 is not 100% flush all the way along but this unit has a better trackpad 'click', the 4 main keys give off equal 'click' sounds and the whole keyboard feels 'sturdier' with great clicks

Last edited by alpha beta gaga; 08-26-11 at 06:07 AM.
    08-26-11 05:57 AM
    I guess now I'm a bit more okay with non-flush after watching this video . That plastic piece is NOT glued in any way to the frame, as it is part of the keypad itself. This means the plastic piece is slightly elevated probably to allow for constant use...
    08-27-11 04:36 PM
    I guess now I'm a bit more okay with non-flush after watching this video . That plastic piece is NOT glued in any way to the frame, as it is part of the keypad itself. This means the plastic piece is slightly elevated probably to allow for constant use...
    No it shouldn't be "slightly elevated" i.e. there should be no transition from the panel to the screen. It isn't glued but it should be flush. I've now seen ~15 devices and about 60% of them are perfectly flush.
    08-27-11 04:56 PM
    No it shouldn't be "slightly elevated" i.e. there should be no transition from the panel to the screen. It isn't glued but it should be flush. I've now seen ~15 devices and about 60% of them are perfectly flush.
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it being slightly elevated was how it should be, but rather that it's raised not because of missing glue, which would eventually lead to that plastic piece either falling off or rising even more.
    08-27-11 05:09 PM
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it being slightly elevated was how it should be, but rather that it's raised not because of missing glue, which would eventually lead to that plastic piece either falling off or rising even more.
    Hopefully it won't but time will tell.

08-27-11 05:28 PM
    Mine is the same way, can feel an annoying sharpness as your thumb moves from trackpad area to screen. Clearly this is a sesign flaw. Not sure if its annoying enough to return the device; the one I tested in the store was actually worse. Anyone find a good work around with a screen protector or ??

08-28-11 05:47 AM
    Mine is completely flush which is the way it should be. It wouldn't be logical that there would be any height difference. I returned my first unit because when you moved your finger down the panel actually felt sharp. The next one was much better but the trackpad was not aligned in its hole i.e. squished off to the left side. My 3rd on is perfect but still has the misaligned trackpad. I figure I'm not going to worry about that given that the screen and panel are seemless.

I should also note that of about 10 or so 9900s I've seen about 6 are flush and the rest had a height difference, albeit not that worth worrying about.
    You really need to be medicated. I feel sorry for the RIM Returns Dept.
    12-21-11 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD