I've found a few non-OEM charging docks that claim to be for the 9900...

If I use my OEM BlackBerry plug/wall wart, could these things potentially ruin my 9900? I don't think the wiring is very complicated as most of the action happens in the wall wart.

Should I be worried?

I'm a bit of a cheap-*** and don't want to pay for an OEM pod when I can get one that apparently holds the 9900 better from eBay.

Here's the one I'm looking at :

Cradle Dock Charging Pod Charge For BlackBerry Touch Bold 9900 Desktop | eBay

There's also what looks like an OEM, but guessing by the price this must be a knockoff of the RIM product :

New Cradle Dock Desktop Charging Pod Charger For BlackBerry Touch Bold 9900 | eBay

Thanks!
    11-21-11 02:57 PM
    Possibly - there's always a chance, even with OEM. It's just that with OEM, the chance is significantly lower because of the supposed QA and testing that's gone into the product. Of course, defects are possible, especially with items purchased from ebay.

The question is really whether that increased chance of damage is worth the money you will save. Do you really want to save $15 (for example) and take the chance of an increased risk of damage to your $600 BlackBerry? If you're comfortable with that, then sure, go ahead.

These guys are good. I have purchased lots of things from them, including this pod.
    $19.
    OEM Original by Blackberry Desk Charger Charging Pod Bold Touch 9930 | eBay

Shop CrackBerry is also good.
    Last edited by salexs11; 11-21-11 at 03:12 PM.
    11-21-11 03:07 PM
    I do like the looks of that Non-OEM dock that you are looking at. It looks like it might be more stable than the OEM one that is really shallow. If you do go for it, let us know how it works, eh?
    ignites likes this.
    11-21-11 03:24 PM
    Possibly - there's always a chance, even with OEM. It's just that with OEM, the chance is significantly lower because of the supposed QA and testing that's gone into the product. Of course, defects are possible, especially with items purchased from ebay.

The question is really whether that increased chance of damage is worth the money you will save. Do you really want to save $15 (for example) and take the chance of an increased risk of damage to your $600 BlackBerry? If you're comfortable with that, then sure, go ahead.

These guys are good. I have purchased lots of things from them, including this pod.
    $19.
    OEM Original by Blackberry Desk Charger Charging Pod Bold Touch 9930 | eBay

Shop CrackBerry is also good.
    I just ordered from that eBay seller. Just waiting for it to arrive.
    ignites likes this.
    11-21-11 05:12 PM
    any updates on this?
    12-05-11 06:17 PM
    Yes, please keep us updated as I'm interested in one as well.
    12-05-11 11:43 PM
    I feel that when my 9930 flips out of the OEM Cradle that there is a great danger of being damaged so I have ordered the e-bay one with a better design. I do not understand why BB changed their design from the previous one with the deep pocket and backrest.
    01-01-12 01:41 PM

There's also what looks like an OEM, but guessing by the price this must be a knockoff of the RIM product :

New Cradle Dock Desktop Charging Pod Charger For BlackBerry Touch Bold 9900 | eBay

Thanks!
    I think that low price is due to its location, Hong Kong. If you find the same item in the US its at least double that. Still, it may me a knock-off. I did purchase one double that price, around $19 from a US seller. Im not very happy with it. Getting the phone to sit just right to charge takes a steady hand, similar to building a house with a deck of cards - Im not kidding. One slight move and its no longer charging. My old 9700 dock worked perfect even if you were drunk and had Parkinson's - just drop it in and its good. I think Im soon going to try the first dock you mentioned - they're everywhere for around $6 and hope it works better than the supposed OEM I got suckered into.
    02-18-12 08:48 AM
    I have bought lots of non OEM accessories off eBay for years, haven't run into a problem. These are basically just a AC to DC power supply and there isn't much to screw up.

That being said I just picked up a 9810 and will be selling my Seido desktop dock charger and Seido active case, perhaps $25 all together if anyone is interested. Nice thing about the Seido is it comes with an insert so you can charge the phone naked or remove the insert to charge in the case. ((And yes, I mean the phone without a case, what you wear as you charge your phone is up to you!) Works great. Just shoot me a pm and we can talk about it.

This one the OP on eBay looks nice and will work fine but doesn't look like it would allow to charge while in a slim case.
    Last edited by zipped; 02-18-12 at 11:32 AM.
    02-18-12 10:14 AM
    I've found a few non-OEM charging docks that claim to be for the 9900...

If I use my OEM BlackBerry plug/wall wart, could these things potentially ruin my 9900? I don't think the wiring is very complicated as most of the action happens in the wall wart.

Should I be worried?

I'm a bit of a cheap-*** and don't want to pay for an OEM pod when I can get one that apparently holds the 9900 better from eBay.

Here's the one I'm looking at :

Cradle Dock Charging Pod Charge For BlackBerry Touch Bold 9900 Desktop | eBay

Thanks!
    It works perfectly, I've been using it for months, it is a much better design, the phone is much more secure and not likely to fall over.
    02-18-12 10:38 AM
    I have, and use that exact charging stand. It has worked flawlessly for months now. It was a good buy IMO.
    02-18-12 10:51 AM
    I just purchased this charging doc a month ago and it runs perfectly! I had done the same for my bold 9000 a few years back too!

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
    02-18-12 11:43 AM
    I don't see how a non-OEM dock can hurt/damage a phone since you still continue to use your OEM charger and the Dock/Pod is just a device that creates the connection via its 2 contacts at the bottom to the device.

Logically - as long as the phone sits well and the contacts work, I don't see any reason to fret.
    02-19-12 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD