hi everyone,

i am looking for on-ear/over-ear headphones for my 9900. i was looking at the beats solo hd, but heard good and bad things that confuse me. i travel a lot (mostly by plane) and need headphones that i can also use as a headset like the solo hd. suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

thanks,

rene
    11-03-11 07:06 AM
    I'm currently using a set of Sony over ear noise canceling headphones as my travel set (sorry, can't recall the exact model description). I got them new over eBay for a bargain, and find them to be quite good. They only use a single AAA battery to power the noise canceling circuit, but they also work fine without th circuit in use. As standard they come with adapters to change plug size - even the little double pronged one to fit into most airline sockets! To solve the problem of not having an inline mic, I just plug in a Shure MPA (music phone adapter). This does create a small issue of having an extra long lead, but I don't go jogging with it or anything like that. The benefit there is that with the adapter, now ANY set of headphones can double as a headset.
    11-03-11 07:50 AM
    I used to be a HUGE Sony advocate but have since had all of the Beats models except the Pro series. The Solo HDs were just as good as the Studios, in my opinion. I bought them and then exchanged them for the Studios...then I returned the Studios for the Solo HDs back. Better for me, actually because they're smaller and more compact. The Studios are pretty massive and don't sound all that much better. I've also had the Diddy Beats "in ear" set. They sucked. Always fell out of my ears. My absolute favorite are my Bose MIE2 "in ear". I travel a lot as well. These are perfect for me because they never fall out of your ear (gel with in ear shape), they're small and easy to travel with, have a microphone and volume control and of course, the sound quality is great. But if you're dead-set on over the ear, Sold HDs get my vote.
    11-03-11 08:12 AM
    After using them for years, the ones I would always recommend would be from Shure, sound great and you can easily swap out the normal cable for the mobile phone adaptor to allow you to use them as a headset for calls when you need to.
    11-03-11 09:12 AM
    I don't have a great suggestion, but I have a good tip for you...

I like Motorola once... But whatever the one you buy, make sure that it is A2DP compatible of you world like to listen to music using the Bluetooth as well. There are a lot of headsets that do not have the A2DP compatibility so that you only can make and answer calls.

Check if the system support A2DP.
    11-03-11 09:14 AM
    Besides using my old ipod, I sometimes use my 9900 as my DAP for my daily commute.

Currently using a Westone UM2 IEM. Not the best, but it sure sound damn good! Definitely better than the beats by dre crap.
    11-03-11 10:01 AM
    I recently got the Klipsch Image One on ear headphones, better then beats (which are all hype) and they have a built in mic and remote for controlling your bold 9900 and making calls.
    Image ONE On-Ear Stereo Headphones
    11-03-11 10:07 AM
    I recently got the Klipsch Image One on ear headphones, better then beats (which are all hype) and they have a built in mic and remote for controlling your bold 9900 and making calls.
    Image ONE On-Ear Stereo Headphones
    +1...if u want over the ear. Personally I find them bulky and not very sleek or attractive. After a couple of hours, it becomes really uncomfortable. If ure considering The beats, they leak noise heavily, so expect some stares when ure listening to your music on blast.

I always recommend the S4 Klipsch Image with remote.
    Best earbuds (in-ear headphones) - CNET Reviews
    11-03-11 10:36 AM
    I always recommend the S4 Klipsch Image with remote.
    Best earbuds (in-ear headphones) - CNET Reviews
    I have a pair of these as well, love Klipsch's products, they pair well together for different listening situations.
    11-03-11 11:13 AM
    thanks for the replies so far i was wondering if the remote buttons on the image ones work when connected to a 99xx?

i was also looking at the AKG Q460. anyone have experience with them?
    11-03-11 11:16 AM
    Beats are a huge marketing scam really. You get way less at a much higher price. This is if you're an audiophile. Beats are highly colored and emphasize the low end frequency way too much. The only thing you need is low impedence for it to work with your 9900. I would suggest the brand AKG if you like your music to be played the way it was recorded. AKG is usually viewed an an analytical headphone, meaning that it does not emphasize any particular frequency. Check out head-fi.org and you can find many posts that may help you decide.
    11-03-11 11:34 AM
    I was loyal to Beats for a while, but their products just haven't lasted with me. It's not like I'm an animal, but I've had speakers blow out on virtually every pair of headphones I've owned -- from Studio to in-ear Tour (wearing the Tour in my avatar pic). Actually, I'm tired of those in-ear headphones and how easily they fall out. I'd stick to Bose in that case.

As for the Studio vs. Solo debate, I preferred the Studio because the Solo HD applied a lot of pressure on my ears. So long flights, or just marathon-listening sessions, became painful after a while.

Headphones are a tough discussion to have online. You'll get the audiophiles debating frequencies that you likely won't hear anyway. While the arguments are compelling and informative, the designs of the products they suggest are horrendous.

Ultimately, you have to find your comfort with a price and design. Personally, I'll pay for marketing dollars if it means a better looking product. Also, I go high end because warranties are usually better. You might get decent quality from an $80 pair, but if something goes wrong, the manufacturer might tell you to buy a new pair before replacing them. Before you know it, you've ran through three headphones for the price of 1 Bose pair, for instance. (It's why I stopped spending $20 a pop on Skullcandy.) All my aforementioned issues with Beats headphones were resolved within three weeks with a new pair after I sent them back.

Anyhow, I'm looking into the Sennheiser bluetooth headphones now, because I think I hate wires. Nothing frustrates me more than when the wire gets snagged on something, and rips the headphones down on my head. The Sennheiser is awesome for travel, I think, because there's a cord to switch it back to a wired headset as well.

EDIT: Oh, there's a big problem I experienced that I forgot to mention here and am upset with myself for not remembering till now. The Beats Studio headphones were very moody with my 9930. Sometimes I'd get no sound in the right ear, sometimes I did. There was no troubleshooting practice that I knew of to fix it; it just happened. I'd plug in the cord, and they'd give me this sound in the right ear as if it was searching for a signal. Very strange.

I think it had something to do with the single cord leading to the left ear. It's as if the phone didn't pump out enough juice to get the music all the way to the right ear. Totally frustrating.
    Last edited by Amen; 11-03-11 at 12:08 PM.
    11-03-11 11:48 AM
    thanks for the replies so far i was wondering if the remote buttons on the image ones work when connected to a 99xx?

i was also looking at the AKG Q460. anyone have experience with them?
    Yes they work as well as the mic
    11-03-11 12:25 PM
    thanks again everyone for the input. i decided to go with the AKG Q460. i am more than happy with these headphones
    11-11-11 10:29 AM
    Nice choice. I ended up settling for the Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators. Not bad so far. They're light and good on the ears. More comparable to the Beats Studio than the Beats Solo. Surprising, too, given the price point.
    11-11-11 01:36 PM
    If you don't mind the price you should check out the Bose QC3. I fly alot and the noise canceling feature works great. Worn them on 15 hr flights with no discomfort. Bass and Treble reproduction is good. Removable rechargeble battery is handy if you buy a couple extra batteries to hot swap when the juice is low - 1 battery lasted for a 16hr flight.
    11-11-11 09:15 PM
    If you don't mind the price you should check out the Bose QC3. I fly alot and the noise canceling feature works great. Worn them on 15 hr flights with no discomfort. Bass and Treble reproduction is good. Removable rechargeble battery is handy if you buy a couple extra batteries to hot swap when the juice is low - 1 battery lasted for a 16hr flight.
    Noise cancellation is great. Bass and treble reproduction is exaggerated. Bose and Beats are the most overpriced cans out there compared to performance. Hey someone has to pay for all the marketing. Off course, if your ears can't tell that they are highly colored then maybe it's for you. However, you can get great sounding cans for $50-$100 that any audiophile will agree is better as it actually reproduces the music that way it was recorded.
    11-11-11 09:55 PM
    Noise cancellation is great. Bass and treble reproduction is exaggerated. Bose and Beats are the most overpriced cans out there compared to performance. Hey someone has to pay for all the marketing. Off course, if your ears can't tell that they are highly colored then maybe it's for you. However, you can get great sounding cans for $50-$100 that any audiophile will agree is better as it actually reproduces the music that way it was recorded.
    Didn't realize they charge $350 for them now. Got them several years ago for $200. Yes marketing is one thing, creates employment if you care about that sort of thing, but true quality costs. Several years, over 200,000 miles of travel and being thrown in backpacks, suitcases and attaches, not one loose screw/ bolt / or threading and original battery charges full. Bose speakers are however another story...... Some could argue all mobile products are overpriced with all the marketing coupled with the fact they don't last much longer than their warranty
    Last edited by TAG1; 11-11-11 at 10:32 PM.
    11-11-11 10:28 PM
    I recommend the Bose IE2. They are SUPER comfortable, never fall out, and sound great. I use them for everything... commuting (train & subway), gym (running on treadmill), and enjoyment. Only downside is that they are not noise isolating (like real in-ear headphones).
    If you want noise isolating, I recommend getting Klipsch.

As for Beats, they are only hype. They have over powered bass which distorts most music (unless you listen to house music or other types with a lot of bass) and if you have longish hair, it leaves your hair marked all the time.
    11-11-11 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD