This is so discouraging! My three-week-old 9900 has some dust trapped under the screen, on the right side. It's lined up pretty well with the mute key.

I'm literally at a loss to how this could happen. I've never disassembled my phone in any way...

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. This is such an annoyance and makes my phone feel devalued! Is there any chance it'll eventually "fall" out or something on its own?
    03-12-12 11:49 AM
    Is it that noticeable? I personally would never be able to see dust on a touch screen with the smudge marks made by my thumb all day.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-12-12 11:57 AM
    This is so discouraging! My three-week-old 9900 has some dust trapped under the screen, on the right side. It's lined up pretty well with the mute key.

I'm literally at a loss to how this could happen. I've never disassembled my phone in any way...

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. This is such an annoyance and makes my phone feel devalued! Is there any chance it'll eventually "fall" out or something on its own?
    If it is that bad, return it. It shouldn't be there.

If you open the phone to remove it, it may get even more dust under there aswell as nulify your warranty.
    03-12-12 12:14 PM
    I have had the exact same problem. Sent it back to Vodafone for repair.

Tried to tell me its cosmetic damage but i said that the device's hardware has failed as the seal has gone.

Lets hope they fix it or replace it.
    03-12-12 12:55 PM
    Not chance the dust would get out of the screen by itself. I would return it and tell them your story.
    They will probaly tell you that they won't cover it, but the screen sealing is faulty. So try it out.
    Or you can try to fix it yourself but it's a pretty petty task to do so. My phone is in my pockets everyday.
    And there is no any noticable dust trapped between the screen and the digitizer.
    matthewaugh likes this.
    03-12-12 01:05 PM
    I might try asking Rogers, but the thing is, they said they only cover 2 weeks. So I dunno if they'll be willing to repair/replace my phone. I guess its worth a shot.

My friend told me I should call RIM. Any thoughts on that?
    03-12-12 01:45 PM
    This is the one thing I wish RIM would finally fix. There is no excuse for dust getting under the screen at this point in tech. I had this problem with my 8130 and 8330 - come on RIM.

I still have the case cracking kit I used to vacuum out the dust.
    03-12-12 01:57 PM
    I just had my 9930 replaced for dust under the screen. It was coming in adjacent to the volume buttons and getting worse over the last few months. Absolutely defective and Verizon had no issue with replacing it.
    matthewaugh likes this.
    03-12-12 10:31 PM
    This also happened to my first 9930 after about two months. I waited until it got real bad and took it into verizon wireless. They replaced it and that was the end of the story. Got a new one shipped over night.

I wouldn't try to clean it yourself as that might void the warranty trying to remove parts. Just take it back to the store and swap it out.

Yes. It sucks that the build quality is bad on certain devices but in all honesty, as long as I can get it swapped out, then it's RIM's problem as they are losing money.

Otherwise, love this phone. Also, consider getting insurance just in case.
    03-13-12 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD