As put in the recent 9790 review by cb, some bbs are awesome workhorses. In that, I wanted to know durable or tossable the 99xx is as compared to 97xxs(which I threw around a lot, unintentionally ofcourse )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-11 06:22 AM
    I dropped 9900 a few times, seems pretty strong to me (had a case though).

Also, spilled a flaming drink on it once, that was a big scare, lock button stopped working for a few hours but then its back working fine.
    12-04-11 06:31 AM
    I dropped 9900 a few times, seems pretty strong to me (had a case though).

Also, spilled a flaming drink on it once, that was a big scare, lock button stopped working for a few hours but then its back working fine.
    Hahahahaha if a flaming drink isn't a good test I don't know what is!!!

12-04-11 06:35 AM
    The Bold 9790 looks pretty strong.

But all the new phones are thin and light included with many sensitive parts pressed inside - you need to take care of it.
    Last edited by blackberry-unlocking710; 12-04-11 at 07:53 AM.
    12-04-11 07:46 AM
    Get an otter box for it. I've dropped mine a few times and have absolutely no problems. I have the commuter case.
    12-04-11 07:51 AM
    No need for otterbox hard shell case will be enough for you
    12-04-11 08:04 AM
    No mobile device, BB or not, will stand up to being dropped time after time...or having more than one flaming drink dumped on it...

Otterbox.
    12-04-11 08:47 AM
    I've found the 9900 to be quite durable. Mine has ended up on the floor numerous times, from people accidentally pulling the charging wire to it slipping off my lap as I'm used to the leathery type back on my 9700.

Will an otterbox offer peace of mind? Yes. It'll only be a matter of time before I drop my phone in a way which will cause lasting damage - but then I've got the top level of insurance cover.
    12-04-11 09:02 AM
    All electronics have the tendency to break thanks to stupid gravity and dumb *** shock waves. So, we have to compare relative to other phones. Compared to phones like iPhone and Samsung Galaxy, I think BB is much stronger.

As far as 9700 goes, I have dropped that phone several times with no issues. But on the third year of having the phone, I had some speaker issues which I fixed it later by pulling apart and cleaning it. May be it was caused by dust not shock.

I dropped my very first BB 9900 on concrete floor and nothing happens. My current Bold 9900 I drop it again without any case at exact same place at my workplace on hard concrete and nothing happen. I didn't even get a dent or scratch or anything.

Now the phone is in a OtterBox Defender case. Funny thing, as soon as I stared using this case, I stop dropping the phone all together. It's like my mind is playing with me!
    12-04-11 10:08 AM
    No mobile device, BB or not, will stand up to being dropped time after time...or having more than one flaming drink dumped on it...

Otterbox.
    I must be lucky because I have dropped all my BBs multiple times onto tile, concrete, etc. It's one reason I prefer the brand.
    12-04-11 10:25 AM
    I must be lucky because I have dropped all my BBs multiple times onto tile, concrete, etc. It's one reason I prefer the brand.
    I was actually referring to those who have a tendency to drop their phones seemingly ALL THE TIME!! I have an ex like that, and then when it stops working...she has no idea why, and gets made at her phone!! LOL!
    12-04-11 02:13 PM
    I was actually referring to those who have a tendency to drop their phones seemingly ALL THE TIME!! I have an ex like that, and then when it stops working...she has no idea why, and gets made at her phone!! LOL!
    Phone Rage!! LOL
    12-04-11 02:19 PM
    I dropped my very first BB 9900 on concrete floor and nothing happens. My current Bold 9900 I drop it again without any case at exact same place at my workplace on hard concrete and nothing happen. I didn't even get a dent or scratch or anything.

Now the phone is in a OtterBox Defender case. Funny thing, as soon as I stared using this case, I stop dropping the phone all together. It's like my mind is playing with me!
    That's exactly what happens to me. I get a phone and it goes for a tumble. I get a case to protect it and nothing seems to ever happen to it. When I miss the look and feel of the naked phone, I take the case off. Sure enough, that's when the accidents start to happen again!
    12-04-11 03:08 PM
    Its quite durable but I have dropped mine on tarmac from shoulder height and its cracked the screen. I did this many times with my 9700 over the 2 years I had it and it was fine so its a bit more delicate. Even with a cracked screen it works perfectly though!
    12-04-11 03:41 PM
    My 9900 is still an NBD (never been dropped) virgin! Daddy's little girl...
    12-04-11 06:59 PM
    Its quite durable but I have dropped mine on tarmac from shoulder height and its cracked the screen. I did this many times with my 9700 over the 2 years I had it and it was fine so its a bit more delicate. Even with a cracked screen it works perfectly though!
    is the screen glass in the 9700?

dropping a device with a glass screen onto tarmac from shoulder height....i would be very surprised if a device with a glass screen would withstand that
    12-04-11 07:03 PM
    Some people had issues with the OtterBox Defender.. FYI. Some people including myself found that OtterBox defender leaves a mark on the front side corners of the phone.
    12-04-11 07:56 PM
    I find the otterbox invader series very bulky. Anything better that is more stylish but equally effective?

12-04-11 09:29 PM
    Yeah I noticed they were too bulky. I'm using a standard hardshell will a rubber surface. Buch better to grip the phone but it has the bottom & top bezel exposed so was worried.

12-04-11 09:45 PM
    Some people had issues with the OtterBox Defender.. FYI. Some people including myself found that OtterBox defender leaves a mark on the front side corners of the phone.
    I recall reading some of those comments. What's interesting, I was just looking at Otterbox' site and both of the more expensive models, the Defender/Commuter are "out of stock" on their own site. Might they be retooling? I've got the Commuter on my 9650 and when it comes off (rarely) the phone looks brand new.

I always though that the silicon cases would mar the surface as they are loose fitting enough to allow grit in along the edges and then since they move, the grit would be massaged into the surface of the phone.
    12-04-11 11:56 PM
    Dropped mine once on tiles, good thing I had my Commuter case on. Or else I would be dead worried, especially having a dent on the metal part.

BB's are kinda durable I guess compared to iPhone. But it's better to be sure and safe, so get a case.

If you find the Commuter case bulky, get an OEM Hard Shell case. Looks sleek. When I get tired of the look of the Commuter, I use the OEM Hard Shell, but I'm more careful with it than the Otterbox.
    12-05-11 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD