I'm not a very intelligent person, so I just decided to ask - is the only difference between the 9900/9930 and the 9790 the size and design? I'm strongly considering switching from my Motorola Droid to a Blackberry, and I want to make sure I get the best one for me.
    05-31-11 06:27 PM
    No, the OS is different, the hardware is highly improved and the screen resolution is much higher than the 9780. Also it supports higher network speeds on GSM carriers.
    05-31-11 06:39 PM
    So I'm assuming the 9930 is a better phone overall?
    05-31-11 06:41 PM
    Insanely better, in pretty much every way.
    05-31-11 06:42 PM
    Okay, thank you very much!
    05-31-11 06:58 PM
    Are you talking about the 9780? Or the recently leaked 9790?
    05-31-11 07:04 PM
    I was talking about the 9790.
    05-31-11 07:07 PM
    The 9790 is looking like it was possibly just a prototype, superseded by the 9900/9930.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 07:17 PM
    Yeah the 9790 just sounds like the internals of the 9900 in the shell of a 9780, just a stopgap prototype.
    05-31-11 07:19 PM
    Would have been one hellova pocket rocket though

05-31-11 07:20 PM
    The 9790 is looking like it was possibly just a prototype, superseded by the 9900/9930.

I'm not so sure........since one of the images showed a date of May 31st....why have a stopgap appear AFTER and with a more recent date than the appropriate model?

I think this is a release model shown, a surprise.

Me, I'm thinking Blackberry is about to drop about nine phones all at once, or at least within a three month span......and pelt the market with OS7.

That's just me.

We've all accused them of not having a sizable selection of phones, now they'll have an arsenal.

Seems to me that's the only way to combat all these Android phones that keep getting released with similar specs....do what they do, seems to work, right?
    06-01-11 07:39 AM
    I'm not so sure........since one of the images showed a date of May 31st....why have a stopgap appear AFTER and with a more recent date than the appropriate model?
    There's no SIM in the device, so unfortunately the date shown is irrelevant

06-01-11 07:49 AM
    There's no SIM in the device, so unfortunately the date shown is irrelevant

My theory still makes sense....regardless of the SIM situation. Blackberry has the opportunity to release an onslaught of products quite soon and with good reason, the competition does it and does it successfully.

Imagine you're getting a smartphone and you fall in LOVE with Android.....but after 30 days you become sick of the problems that exist (battery life, random reboots, etc) and the sales rep has four to five different Blackberry models available versus the usual one or two......remember, salespeople push what they like and what they have....so if there's a mountain of Blackberry models and styles to choose from, they will gravitate to that brand.

"Oh you want a full touch screen? We have that in a Blackberry."

"Oh you want a great keyboard? We have that in a Blackberry."

"Oh you want a slider? We have that in a Blackberry."

"Oh you want a touchscreen and a great keyboard? We have that in a Blackberry."

"Oh you want a free phone? We have that in a Blackberry."

"Oh you want that to work with your tablet (Playbook)? We can sell you both here, sure. We'll even set up your features for you before you leave the store."

All of them will say "Yes, battery life in the Blackberry is the best compared to any of these other brands."

So tell me, why WOULDN'T Blackberry want to have umpteen phones available again? Makes perfect sense to me.

I would do it. Why make two when you can make ten? Flood the market. All Androids look similar, there's only ONE iPhone (well, two if you count color and four if you count storage), there's quite a few WP7 devices (smart on their part and they look different).

Do it, Blackberry, offer everything to everyone on every carrier, screw being exclusive. Flood the market! You can't avoid scattershot, you'll hit everything.
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 06-01-11 at 08:17 AM.
    06-01-11 08:07 AM
    This picture

of the Bold 9790 shows the charging port in the middle at the base of the phone. This is one feature I wish ALL Blackberry models had......specifically due to the ability to have a charging base that works for multiple models. The Torch uses the USB port with it's base....and if the form factors are close enough, you unify the charging base.

The iPhone has the luxury of only one form factor so that the accessories work across the board. Blackberry should do this. That way when you replace your phone your accessories like charging docks remain intact.
    06-01-11 08:29 AM
    My theory still makes sense....
    Your 'theory' was flawed based on a date shown in a picture. All I did was to point that out, and I think the date is actually 31 March not 31 May.

As for your 'thinking' I'm not disputing that, but I still feel the 9790 was an early prototype that was later usurped by the 9900/30. If the device is the same size as the 9700/80 then the screen can be no larger than 2.4", which would be a pretty painful experience and pointless size for a touchscreen.

I fully agree with you about RIM offering as many devices as possible for consumers, but I just don't see this particular device being one of them... it just doesn't make sense to me.

06-01-11 08:40 AM
    Your 'theory' was flawed based on a date shown in a picture. All I did was to point that out, and I think the date is actually 31 March not 31 May.

As for your 'thinking' I'm not disputing that, but I still feel the 9790 was an early prototype that was later usurped by the 9900/30. If the device is the same size as the 9700/80 then the screen can be no larger than 2.4", which would be a pretty painful experience and pointless size for a touchscreen.

I fully agree with you about RIM offering as many devices as possible for consumers, but I just don't see this particular device being one of them... it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yet there's a touch screen model in the works with the smaller screen, or so I read. Did I remember that wrong?
    06-01-11 08:52 AM
    Yet there's a touch screen model in the works with the smaller screen, or so I read. Did I remember that wrong?
    True, there are rumours of a Curve Touch... and many other devices

The golden rule should be applied in this situation - if RIM haven't announced it yet, it doesn't exist

[email protected] likes this.
    06-01-11 09:21 AM
    Maybe the 9790 will be one of the new touch screen/keyboard hybrid Curves? I too think they could be better off having more choices for consumers once they fix their OS issues with the higher-end hardware like the 99xx & 98xx lines.
    [email protected] likes this.
    06-01-11 11:35 AM
    Doubt it, it would have no market since both the standard curve and bold touch would be better options. Also it basically does not resemble a curve in any way, shape or form so the "Curve" form factor is lost to anybody who wants a curve.
    06-01-11 12:58 PM
    Doubt it, it would have no market since both the standard curve and bold touch would be better options. Also it basically does not resemble a curve in any way, shape or form so the "Curve" form factor is lost to anybody who wants a curve.
    I think the 9790 very closely resembles the new Curve 9360, both of which have basically taken the form factor/size of the 9700/9780 with an updated back side. To me they appear only differentiated by the keyboard style from a hardware perspective.

Personally, I believe the 9790 is a passed up prototype absorbed by the 9900 project, or it's still hanging around for Curve Touch purposes- testing the feasibility of a 9700-sized candybar + touchscreen phone.
    06-01-11 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD